Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I've talked myself out of wanting any LB in the 1st unless Parsons somehow falls. I'll take a LT and hope a LB is there in round 2.

I wouldn’t take one at 19 unless it’s Sewell, Slater or Darrisaw. The next batch: Leatherwood, Cosmi types are close in ranking and some of these dudes are going to drop. 

If we don’t love any other position at 19 we need to try our best to trade back.

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn’t take one at 19 unless it’s Sewell, Slater or Darrisaw. The next batch: Leatherwood, Cosmi types are close in ranking and some of these dudes are going to drop. 

If we don’t love any other position at 19 we need to try our best to trade back.

What’s your feeling about Jenkins?

15 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't get why this guy doesn't get talked about more.

I could easily see him going higher than what most people are mocking him at.

If this PFF mock played out this way, I would take:
#19 Tevin Jenkins OT
#51 Jamin Davis LB
#74 Paulson Adebo CB
#82 Nico Collins WR

Been watching a lot of Rashod Bateman and he's definitely on my wish list of guys for 19.  Imagine the possibilities for this offense if they went Bateman and say Brevin Jordan in the 2nd.  Turner would have every conceivable formation open to him and packages galore.  LT and LB are definite holes but we would be one of the more fascinating offenses to watch in the league with those two on board.  Sign me UP.

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Right tackle until proven otherwise.

I think there is still value there. Maybe that’s crazy. When is Moses’ contract up? In one year? I’d rather have a guy on a rookie contract if we are looking at extending our DL. And if he works out at LT. Gravy. I wouldn’t love it or hate it. 

15 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think there is still value there. Maybe that’s crazy. When is Moses’ contract up? In one year? I’d rather have a guy on a rookie contract if we are looking at extending our DL. And if he works out at LT. Gravy. I wouldn’t love it or hate it. 

Don’t like it at 19. But it could be worse.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:10 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, seems like you want to fall hard for one of the second day QBs, if so, don't let me or anyone else spoil it for you.  For me none of them i love.  But I've seen enough of Mills and Trask that i know i like Mills over him because of superior traits.    QBs are really hard to guess.  So no one really has a definitive opinion on any of them. 

I've seen the 4.6 for Mills and also the 4.82.  Big difference as to speed.  He doesn't look to me 4.6 fast when i watch him but looks faster than 4.82 -- maybe split the difference?  4.7.

As for who I want at 19.  Darrisaw.  My 2nd choice is Tevin Jenkins. 

Really want us to draft Mills with one of our 3rd round picks.  

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Don’t like it at 19. But it could be worse.

Doesn’t Moses have 2 more years?  I do like the idea that Jenkins gives you depth/competition (at minimum) at a premium position, another succession option (along with Charles) as Lucas and Christian’s contracts are up after this year, could potentially kick inside, etc.  On the other hand, we should be able to land a legit starter (for this year) at 19, so I don’t know if he’d represent the best value for us. 

I’m not looking to move Moses to the left, but if coaches thought he was the best option there, the prospect of two maulers side by side - Scherff and Jenkins on the right - is pretty intriguing.  If Moses were to perform well at LT, you’ve got the potential of 1) an upgraded oline, and 2) a trade or comp pick for Moses down the road.  🤷‍♂️

As for Tevin Jenkins, depending on the draft geek he's seen either as a left tackle, right tackle or guard.  He's played left tackle plenty enough.  He's played right tackle more.  He's never played guard but i'd bet he could play it well.  This isn't some weird new rodeo if he played LT.  Teams do this stuff.

Brandon Scherff played LT in college.  Yet the idea was to move him to RT in the pros, and they ultimately moved him to RG in the pros.  Moses played LT in college and they moved him to RT in the pros.  Trent played RT in college, they moved him to LT in the pros.  It was all seamless.    Would it be the same with Jenkins?  Don't know.  But its not something I'd sweat if they like the idea if they end up doing it.  Will see.   

My concern with Jenkins was did he have the arm length and athleticism to play tackle over guard?  His pro day indicates yes.  Scherff is quite the mauler in the run game -- he benched 23 reps.  Jenkins benched 36 reps.   That is freakish strength.  And Jenkins can maul like Scherff could.  It would be fun to see them on the same team.

I like Darrisaw over Jenkins.  I got some doubts Darrisaw will be there at 19.  I see in some mocks Jenkins is gone too before 19 but I suspect he will be there.   For me its Cosmi after that.  

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 7.37.11 PM.png

40 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Just listened to a podcast from Standig with Greg Cosell.  He LOVES Jamin Davis.  Also really likes Andre Cisco as a safety.

Yeah I heard the same one.    He's a big Darrisaw guy too. 

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

Really want us to draft Mills with one of our 3rd round picks.  

OK, cool.  I personally don't care one way or another aside from I am definitely a Mills guy over Trask so i'd be relieved from that context. :ols:

13 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Just listened to a podcast from Standig with Greg Cosell.  He LOVES Jamin Davis.  Also really likes Andre Cisco as a safety.

If we don't get Jamin in the 1st by trading down or however, I seriously doubt he drops to our pick in the 2nd.  His stock is rising fast.  Had an obscene pro day as well.  I really doubt he makes it out of the 1st round, and very early 2nd at worst.  Just my opinion mind you. 

4 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Been watching a lot of Rashod Bateman and he's definitely on my wish list of guys for 19.  Imagine the possibilities for this offense if they went Bateman and say Brevin Jordan in the 2nd.  Turner would have every conceivable formation open to him and packages galore.  LT and LB are definite holes but we would be one of the more fascinating offenses to watch in the league with those two on board.  Sign me UP.

I'd be okay with Bateman too. You can never have enough weapons, especially with a guy like Fitz who will utilize all the speed and athleticism. He's not my #1 priority but if he's sitting there and all the good OTs are gone, I'd strongly consider it.

8 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

If we don't get Jamin in the 1st by trading down or however, I seriously doubt he drops to our pick in the 2nd.  His stock is rising fast.  Had an obscene pro day as well.  I really doubt he makes it out of the 1st round, and very early 2nd at worst.  Just my opinion mind you. 

I'd be okay with packaging our 2 and one of our 3s to move up in the 2nd to get him.

Listened to Logan Paulsen on Keim's podcast, who wasn't the best TE back in the day but he was a smart dude who knew who to block.   He claims he studied a bunch of the LTs extensively and TEs and asked around the league with some people who knew some of these guys.   He hit some of the LBs, too.  Some of it is real basic but for what its worth I include it anyway.  I take him more seriously when he talks about his own spot, TE, I'd figure he knows what he sees there for better or worse from his experience. 

He's big into teams judging the blockers personality and work ethic.  He says for pass protection in particular it requires a much different skill set and mindset to run blocking.  To be a good pass blocker, you need to prepare and be ready with multiple moves to keep edge rushers on their toes, you need a variety of solution for different rushers.   You can't be predictable otherwise good pass rushers will quickly figure out how to beat you. 

His take:

A.  The only LT that he thinks is the complete player in the draft is Sewell.  He sees Slater as a guard and there are other good prospects but they are more works in progress,

B.  He sees Darrisaw's upside.  His concerns are he comes off lazy on tape at times.  And thinks V Tech made it easier on him because of its heavily reliance on the run which he sees as his niche -- he has concerns about him in pass protect, opens up his hips too much.  He thinks if a team runs a lot of outside zone, that's his niche.   He looks to him like Trent when he's blocking outside zone.  Asking around he thinks he likely will be there at 19.  He thinks his interview would be important. 

C.  He's a fan of Liam Eichenberg.  He thinks he's technically very sound in both pass protection and run blocking  but without the upside of some of the other prospects.  He's heard though that he's a really different kind of dude from those who know him -- implying he's weird.

D.  He sees Cosmi's athleticism, great feet, but worries about him in pass protection/hands

E.  Leatherwood worried about his inconsistency

F.  He thought Pitts might be overhyped until he watched him and he was blown away.  He thinks he will be a game changer for TEs around the league

G.  He likes but not loves Freiermuth.  He reminds him of Goedert.

H.  Sees Brevin Jordan as a move TE with potential and was buying into him but his pro day now makes him pause.  Seems him styistically similar to  Jordan Reed, Aaron Hernandez, Gerald Everett 

I.  Long reminds him of a poor man's Kyle Rudolph

J.  Jacob Harris at UCF is a receiver that he thinks can transition to TE

K.   Zach Davidson is also a diamond in the rough that he likes

L.  Likes Koramoah a lot, there is a sharpness to his game, the fact that he can cover WRs and shifty RBs helps modern day defenses.  

M.  Jamin Davis, reminds him of Lavonte David.   Seems to understand pass concepts -- tested though in zone coverage, not man.  He thinks he's really good.   Thinks he goes in the first round. 

N.  Likes Zaven Collins, well rounded. 

O. Nick Bolton, run and hit in the box LB, doesn't like him in coverage.  Doesn't seem to love

Davidson who Logan Paulsen talked about.  6 '7, big dude, and apparenty good athlete. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/missouri-pro-day-2021-date-prospects-rumors-more/

The Central Missouri Pro Day was held in unison with the Missouri workout and Zach Davidson, who received an NFL Combine invitation, turned heads. Graded as a draftable prospect on my big board since last year, Davidson looked terrific in all elements of the pro day and drew lots of praise.

Related | NFL Pro Days 2021: List of all college pro days ahead of NFL Draft

Davidson measured 6’6 1/2″ and 245 pounds. He touched 37.5 inches in the vertical and 9’9″ in the broad jump. He also completed 17 reps on the bench press. His 40 timed between 4.58 to 4.62 seconds, with his three-cone coming in at a swift 6.95 seconds. Davidson’s short shuttle was 4.19 seconds.

Those on hand told me Davidson looked terrific in pass-catching and blocking drills. He was described as a “tough, good football player,” something that comes through on game film. I’ve consistently graded Davidson as a 6th/7th round prospect, but today could vault him into the early or middle part of Day 3.

https://fansided.com/2021/03/03/2021-nfl-draft-best-tight-end-zach-davidson/

Davidson projects as a mid-round developmental tight end, like small-school products Dallas Goedert (Eagles) and Adam Trautman (Saints) before him. He’s a project, but most of the tight ends in the 2021 draft beyond Florida’s Kyle Pitts are projects.

Few of the others have Davidson’s combination of size and open-field agility. And after a year in which NFL teams were forced to use practice squad wide receivers as quarterbacks, the ability to stash an emergency punter on the tight end depth chart may be an appealing bonus for some teams.

In fact, about two dozen teams met with Davidson during the College Gridiron Showcase. And many of them sounded interested in the tale of a prep punter who became an All America tight end while remaining a punter.

“I definitely feel like I had the most intriguing story,” Davidson said.

2021 NFL Draft: From Division II punter to NFL tight end, the most intriguing prospect you've never heard of

Zach Davidson is the 2021 draft's best-kept secret

Would you believe me if I told you that one of the most intriguing tight end prospects in the 2021 NFL Draft -- arguably one of the most fascinating draftees regardless of position -- never caught footballs in games with any regularity until his senior year in tiny Webb City, Missouri?

...Or what about this -- Zach Davidson was only recruited by Division II or NAIA schools as a punter, but is now counting down the days until he hears his name called draft weekend as tight end.

How about this: Davidson is less than five years removed from redshirting for the Division II Central Missouri Mules, and caught just 11 passes for them prior to a breakout 2019 season in which he was an All-American punter and tight end. And, despite being stripped of his entire senior season due to the pandemic, Davidson more than held his own at a premier pre-draft training center in South Florida with some of the best receivers, tight ends and running backs from the ACC this winter before crushing that pro day. Oh yeah, and he still hones his punting three days a week -- booming balls with ease -- and is teaching himself to long snap (he is a self-taught punter) and maybe to place hold, too. He could be one of the rarest breeds of hybrid player in the NFL ever (oh yeah, he's worked out as an H-back, as well).

Trust me. It's all legit.

This kid is a secret no longer in personnel rooms across the league after he flashed elite speed, quickness and athleticism at his pro day a week ago (Davidson's 37 ½-inch vertical would have been tops among all tight ends in the 2020 combine, and his 4.62 40-yard dash and 6.95 three-cone drill would have ranked second among everyone at his position a year ago, but they aren't 6-foot-7). Davidson himself finds all of this difficult to comprehend at times, fully aware of the uniqueness of his story; the amazing confluence of continuous hard work and bizarre circumstances renders him both humbled and overwhelmed by the NFL attention.  

He's gone from an unknown, D-II punter, to perhaps an un-drafted free agent to someone now projected by many teams to go possibly as high as the end of day two of the draft (late fourth round).

"It's been a helluva ride so far," Davidson said after another recent pre-draft workout back at in Webb City (population 11,000). "And I know my road is not done yet."

..."I would have said you are insane, probably, at that time," Svoboda remarked.

Davidson didn't exactly make an immediate splash on the gridiron. His redshirt year was dedicated to learning what it took to play tight end and starting to bulk up. His weight reached 235 pounds by the end of the season and the coaching staff could see him starting to mold into form. The off-field gains got their attention.

"I knew he was a good athlete when we recruited him, and we saw him as more than a punter," Svoboda said. "We saw him play basketball in high school and a few minutes into the game he had two dunks, so we knew he was good athletically. After his freshman year when we tested him in the offseason we could see this kid had a lot of natural strength.

"He definitely had some things to work on with us, but you didn't have to be a rocket scientist to see the kid move around the field and say he's a little different. Being 6-7, with those long levers, it was amazing how strong he was."

"In our offense, with what we run, this kid wasn't going to have great stats," Svoboda said. "He only caught a handful of balls in his career, but he is a helluva athlete. … And he hasn't been afraid at all to be an out-in-front guy for us. He's a true leader and he's always willing to do the work."

To say that 2020 would have been massive for Davidson would be an understatement. He needed all the film he could possibly get for NFL teams given where he was playing (and even more so considering there would be no NFL combine -- though he did get an invite -- or smaller showcase games like the Shrine), and he was excited for a new offense being installed that would likely provide more opportunities to shine. But the Mules got to practice just 25 times before the season was suspended, and then, ultimately, cancelled.

"Coach asked the leadership council if we wanted to keep working toward a scrimmage or two," said Davidson, who spent three years on the council. "And we definitely wanted to try to make that happen, and then a couple of weeks before we were going to have the scrimmages in late October or early November we got the word that they were wiped out too. It was really tough for everybody. I was really excited for my senior year and felt like I was ready to put an exclamation point on my college career."

...Svoboda said: "Who else is 6-foot-7 and runs a 6.9 L Drill (three cone drill)? That's ridiculous. I mean, I'd draft a guy just on that alone."

As Davidson walked across the track at Missouri after his workout, to get his bag and change into his tennis shoes, the path suddenly got crowded. Reps from several NFL teams wanted his ear, wanted to get to know him a little better, and the communication between player and teams has not stopped. A half dozen or so have been most persistent -- the Jets, Titans, Seahawks and Washington Football Team among them -- but Davidson also knows there is still much work to be done and aims to open as many eyes as possible. He benched 17 reps but wants to add more, and is aiming to get up to 250 pounds of muscle as well, transitioning from a lean diet for pure speed to one geared to add mass.

7 minutes ago, sportsnut said:

Did he say anything about Tremble?

Nope.  I think I covered every player they discussed.  they didn't hit every major prospect. 

Obviously depends on who is available, but I think one of my favored moves would be to trade back in the 1st.  Either get a future pick (ammo to trade up for a qb next year if they go that route), a pick they can use to trade up in the 2nd or 3rd, or a pick that takes the ‘sting’ out of spending a pick on an earlier round qb.  

If it’s one of the latter, I feel like it might open up the draft a bit more for us; I’d feel a lot better taking a back, safety, G or corner (basing this on the Hurney/RR tendency of not drafting corners early in CAR) later in the 1st.  Heck, even dline might be in play at that point (though I highly doubt it).  

Maybe it’s just me though - I’ve been sort of pigeonholing T/LB at 19.  I’d even feel better about landing a receiver later in the 1st (it’s still a need of course, but the depth of the class has pushed me away from one at 19).

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Davidson who Logan Paulsen talked about.  6 '7, big dude, and apparenty good athlete. 

All American TE and Punter, how's that for versatility coach? 

This is the kind of guy I figured WFT would have their eyes on. I am not sure the just sweep with the 6'7" guy will work in the pros but was pretty funny to see. He has good movement and speed as shown in one sideline play. He said we was trying to get to 250 lbs which would probably be a better spot for him in the pros. Very interesting prospect.

Note Briley Moore is listed right below him, two diamonds in the rough. If he proves healthy I really like his play.

And my guy Ben Mason listed as #1 FB! He can also play move Hback and TE mean lead blocker

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I.  Long reminds him of a poor man's Kyle Rudolph

J.  Jacob Harris at UCF is a receiver that he thinks can transition to TE

M.  Jamin Davis, reminds him of Lavonte David.   Seems to understand pass concepts -- tested though in zone coverage, not man.  He thinks he's really good.   Thinks he goes in the first round. 

N.  Likes Zaven Collins, well rounded. 

It's good to hear Paulsens perspective on these position, similar to Cooleys.

His thoughts on LT's disappointing but what the general consensus has been here. I am still in on Darrisaw and Cosmi.

I was pleased with his take on Long, Collins and especially Davis, wow!

I am really unfamiliar with Harris so will need to check him out.

Archived