Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll have a better answer as to my take on that next week.  I am starting to go through more LBs and safeties.  I am behind where i was at this point last year because I've spent so much time watching and rewatching QBs.  I am far from a QB guru to say the least.  But I'll just say I've never watched so many QBs before a draft.    So I know enough to at least have an opinion on most of them.

I am getting there at LT, WR, TE.  But got a long way to go on safety/CB/LB.

Off the top of my head right now, maybe Dylan Moses, Cameron McGrone?  Browning?  But I have to dig into them.  

I wouldn't mind seeing us draft Paddy Fisher.  Could be a late round steal.  I watched a lot of NU games and he seemed to always make the plays.  Go Cats!

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Important decisions for me are 1- do they bring Kerrigan back and 2 - is Boston a viable option at FS

We have to get a LB and TE, the roster is seriously lacking at those spots.

However, we could actually draft high at the premier positions, LT, CB and Edge. Think of the long term benefits to doing that......

The nice thing is with our free agency this off season we can really go BPA at every pick. This roster is in pretty good shape. Really the only glaring holes are at LB and TE IMO. All of the OL, DL, WR and DB starters are serviceable or better at least. I would expect us to add a playmaker at LB and TE in the draft. I guess they could go OT with the first rounder because of the premium on the position. But again, this roster is not ugly right now. 

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Important decisions for me are 1- do they bring Kerrigan back and 2 - is Boston a viable option at FS

We have to get a LB and TE, the roster is seriously lacking at those spots.

However, we could actually draft high at the premier positions, LT, CB and Edge. Think of the long term benefits to doing that......

I’m with you that we need to be open to drafting an edge, I don’t love the idea of doing so in the first 3 rounds though as the early draft fits our short and long term needs - OL, WR, LB, corner and maybe TE/safety/rb.  If we get a good player at any of those, they’ll likely get a lot more snaps than an edge would.  We do need insurance in case Young or Sweat get injured, as well as someone to spell them.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, seems like you want to fall hard for one of the second day QBs, if so, don't let me or anyone else spoil it for you.  For me none of them i love.  But I've seen enough of Mills and Trask that i know i like Mills over him because of superior traits.    QBs are really hard to guess.  So no one really has a definitive opinion on any of them. 

I've seen the 4.6 for Mills and also the 4.82.  Big difference as to speed.  He doesn't look to me 4.6 fast when i watch him but looks faster than 4.82 -- maybe split the difference?  4.7.

As for who I want at 19.  Darrisaw.  My 2nd choice is Tevin Jenkins. 

Thanks SIP. I'm with you on Darrisaw at #19.  My wish list is gonna change today/tomorrow. :)

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

My rankings (realistically who would be at 19):

1). Da'Vonta Smith (I think there is a chance one of Smith/Waddle falls)

2). Jaylon Waddle (ditto)

3). Najee (I know we probably won't take a RB but we all know he's elite)

4). Darrisow

5). Jammin Davis

6). AVT (even if he's a guard (Kim says strong possibility Scherff won't sign a longterm deal this off-season))

7). Jenkins

8). JOK

Good list IMO.  If it were me:

1.  Darrisaw

2.  D. Smith.  I doubt he's there.  I think no shot Waddle is. 

3.  N. Harris.  I think would be BPA at that spot.  But to me LT >>>> RB.  And I think taking Harris is a fantasy exclusive to this thread that won't have basis in reality if the scuttlebutt from the beat guys is on the money.  Even Finlay was goofying on Brian Mitchell on pushing Harris saying its not going to happen

4.  Tevin Jenkins

5.  AVT or Cosmi -- I need to rewatch Cosmi though

6. Jamin Davis

7.  JOK.  I like JOK over Davis but Davis IMO is the better fit

8. Etienne -- although I think its not happening 

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LT.  He says he can do it.  If Sewell can play LT with 33 and change arms why not Jenkins.   Trent was also a RT when we drafted him.  Moses ironically was a LT.

I hear you. I think the simple answer is that Sewell has already proven he can do it at a high level. And it’s obviously more complicated than just arm length. Didn’t Jenkins play RT in college? If he was capable of being as good on the left, wouldn’t they have played him there?

9 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Here’s a cool video on Tevin Jenkins. It highlights his exceptional get-off/snap timing and his hand technique for both inside and outside attacks. 

Is he projected to play LOT in the NFL?

17 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I hear you. I think the simple answer is that Sewell has already proven he can do it at a high level. And it’s obviously more complicated than just arm length. Didn’t Jenkins play RT in college? If he was capable of being as good on the left, wouldn’t they have played him there?

It's not that unusual for a LT tackle prospect to play RT in college.  Usually when i am watching LT prospects a handful of them every year played RT.  Like i said among them Trent. 

As for why?  I don't know but I don't really care that much.  What I care about is guard versus tackle and to me arm length is a key part of the soup.  In college the field side is wider than it is in the pros.  Strong side of the field often on the right.   Some teams favor running on the right side/strong side and on the field.  A road grader like Jenkins makes sense on the right.  But it doesn't mean he can't play on the left.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/hot-take-tuesday-oklahoma-state-ol-teven-jenkins-is-a-top-ten-player

A big part of their success was number 73. Jenkins played both right and left tackle during his junior season, in which he pummeled defenders on a consistent basis. It was hard not to focus on Jenkins when watching the Cowboys’ offensive weapons. He was that dominant.

Yes, Jenkins was the best run blocker on film but he was also outstanding in pass protection, giving up a total of seven hurries in 12 games. He never gave up more than one pressure in any game. This means that a defensive end was lucky to get near the quarterback one time in a game in which they were lined up against Jenkins. That is tough sledding for anyone. It brings up another question; if he was so impactful, why didn’t Jenkins receive the first-round hype that other offensive tackles were getting?

It is mostly because Jenkins just puts his head down and works. He is an animal in the weight room, which is easy to see on the field. His coach Mike Gundy had this to say to Sports Illustrated about Jenkins before the season, “He’s uncharacteristically strong. I watched him in a weight room this summer. I think he hit 225 like 35 times and they weren’t even counting. I mean he was just doing it. He has tremendous feet. He’s got good leverage, he’s highly intelligent and his work ethic is getting better this year.”

Gundy was right about Jenkins. He took that next step, with big-time performances against Oklahoma State’s top competition this season, including an excellent performance against another top prospect Joseph Ossai. Jenkins put on a clinic against Ossai, including a rep, where he drove him all the way into benches.

Those all put him on the map as a top 50 prospect and Jenkins has slowly moved towards a first-round projection. He has versatility at both tackle spots and can also be an elite guard if asked to do that. His play strength on the field this year has been second to none. It is hard to find a more consistent player on film than Jenkins. It may be a very good tackle class but Jenkins is a player that teams can pencil in as a day one starter for the next decade. That is so crucial when the supply of offensive tackle talent doesn’t come close to the demand.

It may not always look pretty with Jenkins but he creates gaping running lanes, never gives up pressures and has that dog mentality needed to have a high level of success at the next level. He may not get drafted as high as he should, however, 31 teams will end up regretting that they didn’t either draft or trade-up for Jenkins. 

I'd say though if I had to pick what player would get me the most juiced if they took him it would be Najee Harris.  But my mind is so checked out on that where I don't think they'd do it that I just don't entertain the idea much. 

Part of that for me would be one of my kids likes Alabama and we've seen Harris play a few times live and it would be a lot of fun to see his game carry over here.

If they intend to take Harris, they've done a nice job of convincing the reporters who covers this team otherwise.  

On the other hand the Dolphins reporters seem convinced that the Dolphins brass loves Harris and he's strongly in the running for their 2nd first round pick. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LT.  He says he can do it.  If Sewell can play LT with 33 and change arms why not Jenkins.   Trent was also a RT when we drafted him.  Moses ironically was a LT.

Jenkins played some LT in college as well. I caught it while watching his tape. I think they kept him on the right because they liked to run to that side more. And he is such a mauler in the run game. 

35 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Is he projected to play LOT in the NFL?

Lord of the rings?

I think he has the ability to play LT due to being more than the sum of his parts and able to overcome his length issues with controlled explosion and a strong base of hand technique paired with exceptional core strength. He’s got the kind of attitude/edge you look for in a player and would be a great tone setter for our offense. 

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Jenkins played some LT in college as well. I caught it while watching his tape. I think they kept him on the right because they liked to run to that side more. And he is such a mauler in the run game. 

I’ve grown to respect Moses over the years and I thought Lucas was pretty respectable in pass pro, but the prospect of adding a road grader, something Moses (and Lucas) is decidedly not, is exciting to me.  

Was just listening to the Draft Network pod just now, they were going over their mock, had Jenkins go at 17 to the Raiders and then went on as they did the rest of their mock about how such and such time would have loved Jenkins.

Jenkins for me is the one player who might have grown the most on me over time, followed by JOK and J. Davis.   It was important for me for Jenkins' arm length to beat 32 inches which he did. 

Here is my latest (only one round) mock (post free agency with trades):

1). Los Angeles Chargers trade #13+#47 to Detroit for #7.

2).  Indianapolis trades #21+#54 to Vegas for #17+#79

3). Jets trade #23+#86 to Washington for #19

4). Buffalo trades #30+#93 to Chicago for #20

ROUND 1:

1). Jax-Trevor Lawrence (We all know this is a lock)

2). NYJ-Zach Wilson (Ditto)

3). SF (from Miami via Houston)-Mac Jones (Too much smoke here)

4). Atl-Kyle Pitts (They are not trading down with Carolina and decide to take Pitts as they are cap committed to Matt Ryan)

5).  Cin-Penei Sewell (It comes down Chase and Sewell here and the WR depth in this draft makes Sewell the pick)

6).  Mia (from Philadelphia)-Ja'Mar Chase (They traded up knowing they were going to get one of Pitts, Sewell, and Chase).

7).  LAC (from Detroit)-Rashawn Slater (Chargers trade up to ensure they get their LT).

8). Car-Trey Lance (Panthers get their QB)

9). Den-Justin Fields (Ditto)

10). Dal-Patrick Surtain (Cowboys must get a CB opposite Diggs)

11). NYG-Micah Parsons (I think they want an edge, but no one is worthy at this spot.  They don't care about the character concerns and Parsons would help their pass rush. AVT could be a consideration here)

12). Phi-Jaycee Horn (Why no WR?  They drafted Raegar last year and they need a CB opposite Slay).

13). Det (from LAC)-Da'Vonta Smith (Gets the nod over Waddle)

14). Min-Christian Darisow (LT is their #1 need)

15). NE-Jaylon Waddle (Kind of a wild card spot.  I thought long and hard about Najee here, but they have RB depth and Waddle is BPA and helps on teams.  Edelman is probably close to done with his injury concerns).

16). Az-Greg Newsome (Pure need pick. With Farley's injury concerns, CB is a must as they want to win now).

17). Ind (from Las Vegas)-Teven Jenkins (LT is their #1 need and they feel Jenkins can play it.  They jump us and Chicago to get Jenkins (who would not have lasted to their pick)).

18). Mia-Najee Harris (Rumors abound that they love Najee).

19). NYJ (from Washington)-Alijah Vera-Tucker (Jets jump Chicago for AVT.  They have to protect Wilson and AVT with Becton would be a monster run-blocking line.  We think AVT is only a guard with his short arms, so we trade back since we need a tackle).

20). Buf (from Chicago)-Jealan Phillips (Edge is their #1 need)

21). LV (from Indianapolis)-Trevon Moerig (They have a major hole at FS)

22). Ten-Caleb Farley (CB is a major need and they are comfortable with the back injury).

23). Wash (from NYJ)-Jamin Davis (We take Davis to give us that speedy LB we have been craving for).

24). Pitt-Azeez Ajulari (Have to replace Bud Dupree.  Fits their 3-4 scheme better than Paye)

25). Jax (from LAR)-Travis Eitienne (Robinson is really good, but you need two RBs.  Eitienne is delighted to be back with Trevor Lawrence.  Thought about JOK here, but they have two good LBs in Jack and Schobert (who stay on nickel)).

26). Cle-Kwity Paye (Need an edge opposite Garrett)

27). Bal-Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (Wink Martindale will figure out how to play him)

28). NO-Elijah Moore (Seems like a perfect Sean Payton player)

29). GB-Terrace Marshall (GB finally takes a WR in this first)

30). Chi (from Buffalo)-Liam Eichenberg (They are stoked that he's here when they traded down)

31). KC-Jaylon Mayfield (Guys like Breer still say he's a first rounder)

32). TB-Christian Barmore (Suh is aging and they could use a young DT to go with Vea).

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Was just listening to the Draft Network pod just now, they were going over their mock, had Jenkins go at 17 to the Raiders and then went on as they did the rest of their mock about how such and such time would have loved Jenkins.

Jenkins for me is the one player who might have grown the most on me over time, followed by JOK and J. Davis.  

Completely agree.  Started looking at Jenkins when I saw him mocked at #19 a week or so ago.  Love his and JOK's attitude and attack. I think he would be solid as T or G.

:229:The Rook

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jenkins for me is the one player who might have grown the most on me over time, followed by JOK and J. Davis.   It was important for me for Jenkins' arm length to beat 32 inches which he did. 

I can see a team jumping us and Chicago (See my mock :) ) to get Jenkins.

2 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Here’s a cool video on Tevin Jenkins. It highlights his exceptional get-off/snap timing and his hand technique for both inside and outside attacks. 

I loved his videos before it was just him sitting there drinking hipster bull**** Bourbon ****tails.

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

I love that the most violent man in college football, looks like he'd be happy to help you change your flat tire or find your missing pet.

54 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You are probably correct. One of the side effects of the NFL moving the hash marks in was arguably to make the LT the important oline position as it makes running to the left easier and increases the space available for rushing the passer.

Archived