Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

There’s a few guys who is want over almost anyone else at 19...

Sewell, Slater, The 5 QBs (even Mac... I think he’d work for us... but it’s not an overly exciting pick for me... just wouldn’t be upset), Darrisaw, Chase, Pitts, Smith, Najee.

All offense. The D group is eh. Horn/Farley would be a consideration depending on health. MAYBE Surtain.

Zaven would be an okay pick for me. I think he fits the ILB mold perfect for us, but the one thing I concur with: nothing pops about him besides his overall ability. He isn’t a nasty downhill bulldozer... he isn’t a coverage stud. He’s just all around good. If Zaven is the target I’d try to trade back a few spots and try my luck with him/Davis/Moehrig. 

I’m sticking to my guns on Najee bring one of my top wants barring QB, top 3 LT (Slater, Sewell, Darrisaw), Smith, Chase or Pitts. 

I think first rounders should be blue chip. Najee may be a top 5 overall skilled player in this draft. ****, he may be top 2. 

I just don’t see any way we **** this up in the first unless we take Christian Barmore or something :ols:

Its no secret that my favorite LB candidate for us is actually Werner. So as long as we manage to snag a guy like him I’m fine with whatever. If we come out of this FA period/draft minus a LB... I don’t even want to think about it.

8 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Hypothetical:  we’ve traded with GB and now hold the 29 pick.  Collins is gone.  Harris is gone.  Available OTs are Mayfield, Jenkins, and Leatherwood.  Friermuth is there. Toney is there.  Moehrig is there.  Who do you select?

Leatherwood.

16 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

@KDawg I dont really have a finger on Werner yet, I see a big hitter and a good closer on the ball. Good size/speed combo too, but what makes him your favorite prospect for this defense at LBer? 

Exactly that. Also blitzes well.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, if there is a bigger run than we expect at LT then I'd go elsewhere. The one fear I'd have though on that front is if more LTs are going early than expected, what's left at 51?  I used to think someone like Eichenberg but hearing now he might go in the late first.  Wonder whose left then?  Radunz?  Hudson?

I guess here come the jokes about Sewell

In the 2nd, you might have some combo of Leatherwood, Cosmi, the two you mentioned, along with maybe Little, Carman, Brown?  Definitely reduced chance we land a tackle as they get taken before our picks and other (higher graded) talent gets pushed down.  I do think Darisaw goes before our pick and limits our options for tackle in the 1st.

I have wondered about what happens, as was mentioned earlier, if Waddle (injuries/depth of class) or Smith (size/depth of class) fall to us...

11 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

In the 2nd, you might have some combo of Leatherwood, Cosmi, the two you mentioned, along with maybe Little, Carman, Brown?  Definitely reduced chance we land a tackle as they get taken before our picks and other (higher graded) talent gets pushed down.  I do think Darisaw goes before our pick and limits our options for tackle in the 1st.

I have wondered about what happens, as was mentioned earlier, if Waddle (injuries/depth of class) or Smith (size/depth of class) fall to us...

Who knows but listening to some of the draft podcasts for some there is an expectation that the next run (2nd tier) of left tackles will be early in the 2nd round.   I'd guess they are right.  Left tackles don't tend to be fallers in drafts. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Who knows but listening to some of the draft podcasts for some there is an expectation that the next run (2nd tier) of left tackles will be early in the 2nd round.   I'd guess they are right.  Left tackles don't tend to be fallers in drafts. 

That’s been my sense as well. They could easily (as I kind of mentioned before) wind up not taking a tackle... unless they veer heavily from BPA.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Its no secret that my favorite LB candidate for us is actually Werner. So as long as we manage to snag a guy like him I’m fine with whatever. If we come out of this FA period/draft minus a LB... I don’t even want to think about it.

I'll get to watching the Ohio State LBs soon.  I know you like Werner.  Forgot what do you think of Browning?

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll get to watching the Ohio State LBs soon.  I know you like Werner.  Forgot what do you think of Browning?

Solid edge blitzer, smart, athletic. Not good in coverage and I’m not sure how he’d fare inside.

Watched Pete Werner.  I'd be cool with him in the third, he's  IMO a polished linebacker.  

Pros

Love the motor he plays with, flies around the field

Looks like a prototype NFL player and sounds like one too in a good way.  I read he's a good leader.  I watched a couple of his interviews seems like an impressive/smart dude.

Very fluid in coverage, they play him in the slot some.   Can handle TEs in coverage

Sound tackler -- wraps up well

Looks like he can rush the passer-blitz

Disagnoses quickly

Negatives

Seems to be a good athlete but not freakishly good as for size/speed/strength

Gets caught in traffic on some plays and gets washed out of the action

Doesn't look anything special as a sideline to sideline run stopper type

I don't live and die with PFF but they have access to more games than I do -- they don't rate him that hot as a run stopper which surprises me.  

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think @stevemcqueen1 may have noted him a few times, that prompted me to look as well. Good prospect for sure.

Yeah he is one of my favorites.  I thought he was going to be a seventh rounder because he wasn't on any big boards, but apparently he was just an oversight that has been corrected.  That is a bummer.

I like players like him that are the tip of the spear for a bad ass defense like Indiana's was this year.  The most aggressive and ballhawking guys.  If you guys want to see him at his best, check out his Ohio State cut ups.  He tormented Fields in that game.

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just watched some Andre Cisco, safety, I like him.  If he falls to the third/forth, I'd consider.    He's somewhat raw but has some really intriguing tools.  

Pros

Speed-size. 

Ball Skills

Can do it all -- can play the run or the pass. Play FS or SS.   Played more FS

Played some single high in the mix from what I saw -- might be helpful if we play more cover 1/man

Can cover in the slot

Seems to bring some attitude -- mean streak

Sheds tackles well

Cons

Coming off of an ACL injury, missed most of last season

Gets fooled -- doesn't always diagnose well, you can misdirect him

Plays sometimes too aggressive and overruns plays

I've seen many of Pitts games.  My love of his play has zero to do with his pro day.  That's just gravy.  He's not some dude who is just an OK player with freakish athleticism.  

Love Andre Cisco. Such a good athlete. I wonder where he goes. Is he a 3rd ronuder? 4th? He'd be an utter steal in the 4th. 

4 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Hypothetical:  we’ve traded with GB and now hold the 29 pick.  Collins is gone.  Harris is gone.  Available OTs are Mayfield, Jenkins, and Leatherwood.  Friermuth is there. Toney is there.  Moehrig is there.  Who do you select?

Leatherwood.  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some excerpts from this article

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 7.56.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 7.57.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 7.58.01 PM.png

RR is honest and sways both ways when asked about if we draft a QB or build around what we have.  To me, Fitz is our starter and the mentor the THE guy we draft at QB THIS year.  Yes, this year.  Whoever it be and whatever round.  I believe they have their eye on someone they can mold and Fitz is starter and mentor both this year and IMO more than likely next year.

Archived