Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

14 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Not for me friend. Too rich for a risk QB. With Fitz on board, first couple of picks, I want some elite athletes that start and impact day 1. Even a TE too soon is borderline conservative, IMO.

Understand, UK. :)  For me though...you know I'd go with it.  Cheers.  :)

One thing I remember about Leatherwood is watching a bunch of his Senior Bowl 1-1 practice reps and I was unimpressed. He looked pretty stiff and slow and got smoked multiple times in drills, especially vs speed rushers. I think that really hurt his stock.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This time, I know who we have as the starter, but he's going to compete with everybody else," said Rivera, talking for the first time about Fitzpatrick's signing. "I want to play the guy that's going to give us the best opportunity to win, the best opportunity to grow and develop as a football team."

It's also still possible that one of Fitzpatrick's competitors will be a rookie selected later this month. Though Rivera played down the need to draft a quarterback, sources have consistently said since the Fitzpatrick signing that Washington would like to draft a quarterback. It wants to have a young, talented passer to groom -- and it's possible the team won't take one with the 19th pick but perhaps in the second or third round, according to a source.

"Picking where we're picking, there are a lot of things that can happen," Rivera said. "We have targets, we have ideas, we have guys that we like, but that always changes just because of the fact that everybody has a choice. You just never know what's going to happen at that point."

However, Rivera said there is no pressure to take one now. Washington could opt to bypass a quarterback, focusing more on building the roster, and try again next offseason.

In 2011, Rivera's first draft pick in Carolina was quarterback Cam Newton, taken with the top choice. But, Rivera said, it took four years to surround him with the necessary talent. That also happened to be the year Carolina went 15-1 and reached the Super Bowl. Rivera said they might have to take a different approach in Washington.

"I've always thought if you can do it the other way, where you put all the other pieces around and then go out and get your quarterback, that might be a pretty good situation too," he said.

Washington attempted to trade for Matthew Stafford and explored other quarterbacks, but Fitzpatrick was always on its mind; in his 20 starts with Miami, he threw a combined 33 touchdowns to 21 interceptions. Washington likes how his experience will help younger players on offense develop.

"There are a lot of positive things about having this type of guy around," Rivera said. "When I was in Carolina at one time and we had to compete against him, you always sat there and go, 'Gosh, this guy -- there's something about this guy.' It's going to be intriguing for us to see exactly how it unfolds and how it fits with us."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31165378/nfl-mock-draft-2021-todd-mcshay-predictions-all-64-picks-rounds-1-2-plus-where-seven-qbs-land

That interview of RR is posted in the FO thread, just listened to it. Well worth 20 minutes on the approach to the draft and possible FA acquisitions prior to that. 

RR is a good listen.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

That interview of RR is posted in the FO thread, just listened to it. Well worth 20 minutes on the approach to the draft and possible FA acquisitions prior to that. 

RR is a good listen.

Thanks, I heard a chunk of it in real time on the radio but will try to get to the whole thing

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Leatherwood --- what's his knock?

Last year, when he was rumored to consider coming out, many had him over Jedrick Wills. He went back, and now he's like OT6? OT7? Dude was a Top 10 guy before the season and from what I can tell, his play didn't fall off in any way?

That's an unfortunate misleading narrative that I'm not sure how it became prevalent.  There was some hype for Leatherwood in 2019, mostly because he was the LT while Wills was the RT at Alabama.  But that's about it.

Haven't watched him this past season, but I've read he's gotten better in 2020.  Back in 2019, he struggled with speed.  Like majorly struggled.

29 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That's an unfortunate misleading narrative that I'm not sure how it became prevalent.  There was some hype for Leatherwood in 2019, mostly because he was the LT while Wills was the RT at Alabama.  But that's about it.

Haven't watched him this past season, but I've read he's gotten better in 2020.  Back in 2019, he struggled with speed.  Like majorly struggled.

He struggled with speed big time in his Senior Bowl reps too.

JT O'Sullivan's QB rankings. He really seems to like Mond. Has him above Fields and Lance. Also has Wilson above Lawrence.

His list is identical to Chris Simms and he seems to be goofing off a bit in this video so I don't know if he's just messing with Simms or that's actually his list too and he's just being goofy. 

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

JT O'Sullivan's QB rankings. He really seems to like Mond. Has him above Fields and Lance. Also has Wilson above Lawrence.

His list is identical to Chris Simms and he seems to be goofing off a bit in this video so I don't know if he's just messing with Simms or that's actually his list too and he's just being goofy. 

99% sure he's messing with Simms lol

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

99% sure he's messing with Simms lol

Really like going Mond in the 2nd round, mon!  :)  Especially if RR and Co. are shooting for the 2nd round and am hoping he's their target.  He has a lot of potential, I think.  Fitz would be the perfect mentor for this and next year. 

Rashod Bateman's size has been exaggerated.

He came in a bit over 6'0 and 190 pounds.  He said this:

"Now everybody's questioning my weight. The thing is, I've never played over 200 [pounds] before, and I never have been close,"

I think there's a real chance Bateman is in play for the WFT 2nd rounder.

Is it weird that I'm finding our 2nd round pick more interesting than our 1st?  #19 is only interesting in so far as it's a Trade Back versus the likely weighted BPA of OT or LB.  Our 2nd rounder seems like it can go in any direction possible, from prospects ES loves to even a QB.

6 minutes ago, illone said:

This is april fools joke right?

1B5ABA78-0511-40B5-8B32-88A248B497E9.jpeg

Who knows. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jax and NYJ work out a deal or Jax takes Fields 1. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Lawrence 1. 

**** this makes things interesting at least. But I doubt it’s authenticity. 

“ya I don’t want to play for the Jags. Put me on the Jets baby!”

Just now, KDawg said:

Who knows. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jax and NYJ work out a deal or Jax takes Fields 1. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Lawrence 1. 

going to the jets is the worst “boobie prize” ever. 

1 minute ago, illone said:

going to the jets is the worst “boobie prize” ever. 

The pessimist in me says that maybe SF knew about all of this...

And Lawrence had previously said he didn’t want to play for the Jets... 

So what if it’s Fields, Wilson 1&2 and Lawrence goes to SF?

I mean there’s no shot that happens but hey, senseless tweets are fun to fuel some speculation.

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That's a fake tweet.

I don't see anything on Rapaport's twitter about Lawrence.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Holy **** it’s a low quality image on April 1. How gullible are people here.

Archived