Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

After Darrisaw, it might be Jenkins for me followed by Cosmi.  Jenkins would be fun.  Him and Scherff run blocking...

I think we can safely say we wait and see what RR and Co. do during the draft.  LOL

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think the best way to allow down Pitts is with an elite pass rush. And you put William Jackson III on him. I just hope he doesn’t wind up in the NFCE. 

I think JOK a has ELITE short area speed but I don’t know that he has elite deep speed to run with Pitts down the field. And JOK and Jamin both have very good length for LB’s, but almost nobody has the length to defend Pitts. JOK and  Jamin both have arms longer than 33”. That’s better than most of the OT class. 

I agree about the pass rush.  Koramoah seems to have decent long speed from what I can see.  Having said that, I am the dude who has been barking for months that i'd consider trading up for Kyle Pitts because that dude is such a unique freakish talent.  So you won't find me arguing on behalf of any player being a scud missle to stop Pitts.  Pitts IMO is the best player in this draft.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm good with the talk of guys like Mills and Mond going in the second, because I think it means we're going to get Trask in the fourth.

That guy is a big-bodied, big-handed workhorse who can hang tough and handle pressure, bounce back from mistakes, navigate pocket mud, and drop dimes better than the other third tier QBs demonstrated.  And I don't think he's done getting better either, he made such a massive leap from 2019 to 2020 that it shows he's a late bloomer who is in the midst of his growth period.  He's a better version of one of my previous late round favorites, Big Hands Minshew.

Plus we have an inside track on knowing him because of Zampese in 2019. If we draft him, you know it’s because Zampese wants to work with him and thinks he is a guy worth developing. If we don’t, he doesn’t.

I’m completely open to whomever they pick at QB- we are in a fairly good spot with a 3-4th round draft pick like Trask (or trading a 4th for Darnold, who is only 23), Fitz for a year and another year to evaluate and see Heineke, Allen starting on PUP list most likely. 

This is the year we figure out if we have any potential starting QBs on the roster for 2022. If we don’t (and Trask or whoever we drafted shows nothing or hasn’t developed) you can try and resign Fitz or trade up for a QB with a better assessment of your roster needs.

5 hours ago, Panninho said:

Really curious to see how this plays out. Scheffer also says 49ers really like Jones and that he wouldn't be shocked if they draft him but that they like Lance and Fields as well. 

https://www.knbr.com/2021/03/30/adam-schefter-explains-what-he-thinks-49ers-do-with-third-overall-pick-jimmy-garoppolo/

This is also interesting. Allbright is pretty plugged in and doesn't make stuff up from my memory. He isn't really saying definitive things in those two tweets. But it's interesting that the teams seem to not have a lot of consensus on players who are considered the top options at their positions by many fans and media outlets.

I definitely prefer slater in pass pro. But I like Sewell better in run blocking. I guess it depends which one would fit your offense better. Kind of reminds me of when we drafted Williams over Okung. 

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Leatherwood --- what's his knock?

Last year, when he was rumored to consider coming out, many had him over Jedrick Wills. He went back, and now he's like OT6? OT7? Dude was a Top 10 guy before the season and from what I can tell, his play didn't fall off in any way?

From Walterfootball- If he’s still there in the second I’d be all over him. I think he goes by the end of the 1st when there is a run on OTs.

2021 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Alex Leatherwood 

ALeatherwood.jpg
  • Alex Leatherwood, 6-6/322 

• Offensive Tackle 

• Alabama 

Alex Leatherwood Scouting Report 
By Charlie Campbell 

Strengths: 
  • Excellent skill set 
  • Ideal height, length, weight 
  • Good athlete 
  • Quickness 
  • Quick feet 
  • Gets depth in his drop to neutralize speed rushers 
  • Can play the typewriter to cut off the corner 
  • Bends at the knee 
  • Doesn't have to reach for rushers 
  • Fast to the second level 
  • Walls off and ties up defenders in the ground game 
  • Bulk to hold his ground against bull rushes 
  • Can anchor against bull rushes 
  • Athletic upside 
  • Lots of experience against top competition 

Weaknesses: 
  • Struggles when he has to get physical 
  • Not a bull dozer in the ground game 
  • Struggles to knock defenders off the ball 
  • Lacks heavy hands 
  • Needs to improve hand placement 
  • Does not have a mean streak, tenacity 
  • Finesse blocker 

• Summary: Alabama has been a factory for offensive line talent under Nick Saban, and Leatherwood will continue that tradition in the 2021 NFL Draft. Leatherwood became a legend in the program during his freshman season in the National Championship Game against Georgia. Jonah Williams was injured, and Leatherwood subbed in at left tackle to help protect backup quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, and the backups led the Crimson Tide to a National Championship. 

In 2018, Leatherwood started at right guard for Alabama before moving back to left tackle as a junior. Over 2019 and 2020, Leatherwood was a steady left tackle who was reliable in pass protection. For his senior year, Leatherwood won the Outland Trophy as the best offensive lineman in the nation. 

NFL teams are always looking for potential elite left tackles. It can be very difficult to find left tackles with Leatherwood's natural size and athleticism, so those things make him an intriguing prospect for the passing-driven pro game even through he has some shortcomings in the ground game. There are a lot of natural strengths to Leatherwood that make him an effective pass blocker. For starters, his size and length are ideal, making defenders really struggle to get around him. On top of his mass, Leatherwood has special quickness and athleticism. Thanks to his quick feet, he plays the typewriter and is able to get depth in his drop to cut off the corner. That agility also lets kick slide with fast rushers and shut down speed off the edge. His bulk allows him to anchor and stop bull rushes while only giving up a little ground. Improving his hand placement would help him to give up less ground. In pass blocking, Leatherwood is consistent and reliable. 

Leatherwood needs to get stronger for run blocking and become more physical. He struggles when the time calls for him to get nasty and knock defenders off the ball. Leatherwood is not a bull in the ground game who will push defensive linemen around and drive defenders back. His hand placement needs work from his NFL position coach. In short-yardage and goal-line situations, Leatherwood is not a dependable blocker to run behind to create a push, but he is quick to the second level to hit blocks in space and get in position on the second level. Leatherwood is more of a run blocker who walls off defenders and ties them up rather than overwhelming them. 

For the NFL, Leatherwood would fit best in a passing offense that employs a lot of zone blocking in the ground game. He is too much of a finesse blocker for a power-man scheme. Leatherwood has to get stronger, get more nasty at the point of attack, and show something of a mean streak. He showed some improvement in this regard partway into his senior year, but a lot of blockers who come into the NFL like this don't change or evolve. 

Here is what a director of college scouting said about Leatherwood: 

1. "Leatherwood is a late first-rounder at the minimum ... has finally [started playing like a man] and is playing with some urgency and aggression, which he didn't last year. He's a better athlete and player than Jonah Williams - CIN - was who went too high at No. 11, and Leatherwood can start at either tackle spot as well as guard if you needed him to. Not dominant and needs to clean up some hand-placement stuff, but he's athletic and a competent pass protector that can excel in the zone-stretch run game. Not a downhill, power-/gap-scheme guy. Not better than [Andrew] Thomas - NYG -, [Jedrick] Willis - CLE -, [Mekhi] Beckton - NYJ -, [Austin] Jackson - MIA - last year, but comparable to [Tristan] Wirfs - TB. It's a good [offensive tackle] class too, and Leatherwood won't be at the top of the class when there is a run on [offensive tackles], but will get selected as you see the options running out [mid-to-late Round 1]. Should be a solid pro." 

In speaking to six team sources about Leatherwood, three called him a definite first-round pick and think he will go in the mid- to late portion of the first round during the 2021 NFL Draft. The three other teams said they had Leatherwood graded on Day 2 and liked other tackles more, even some with lesser skill sets. They thought he could go late in Round 1 because of his skill set, but they did not value him that early. Thus, Leatherwood is a prospect who could go higher than expected or be in store for a slide into the second day of the 2021 NFL Draft. 

Leatherwood looks like he could be a solid, but not great starter in the NFL. He could be a nice player if he lands in a passing-driven offense that uses a zone-rushing attack. 

Player Comparison: Russell Okung. Okung has been a quality starting left tackle in the NFL after being the sixth-overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft. Okung has been good, but not great, for the Seahawks, Broncos, Chargers and Panthers. Okung (6-5, 310) and Leatherwood have similar skill sets. In the NFL, I could see Leatherwood having a career similar to Okung.

4 hours ago, Panninho said:

If either Mills or Mond are the QB on day 2 guy (that Keim keeps taking about) that our front office likes, it seems that we will have to be ready to invest our 2nd round pick.

IMO drafting a QB in the second round is plain dumb. If you like him enough to use a 2nd rounder on him either trade down and pick him later in the first or trade back into the late first to pick him. If you are taking a QB that high you want the 5th year option on him. 

Thanks @seantaylor=god ... recently went back and read that WF writeup when I was trying to figure out why he "fell off" compared to last year's talk.

Makes me wonder if he's gonna go higher than projected ... like you said ... late 1st when a run of tackles goes ... maybe even be the 3rd or 4th OT off the board. That sort of pedigree after all the success off the Alabama OL makes no sense for him to NOT be a plug and play OT ...

I guess Sewell, Slater and Darrisaw are the darlings at OT ... followed by Jenkens, Mayfield, Leatherwood, Eichenberg, Carman, Hudson, Radanz ...

I think I'd be pleased with most of those guys, but some are just true LTs, and I think Leatherwood behind Sewell and Darrisaw is the 3rd best pure LT. I know some expect Slater to flip to Guard.

1 minute ago, Fresh8686 said:

Makes sense that Leatherwood is rising back up. 

He had a great workout also:

Simply put, the tackle’s drill numbers were remarkable. Measuring in at 6-foot-5, 312 pounds, Leatherwood ran a 4.96 40-yard dash, putting him in the 94th percentile at his position. He also boasted a 34.5-inch vertical jump measurement (98th percentile, for those that were wondering.)

His broad jump measurement was perhaps the craziest of them all: 9’10”, which puts him in the 99th percentile at his position. Simply put, Alex Leatherwood showed fantastic athleticism for a player of his size.

There's just no realistic path for us to trade up for Fields if he starts sliding. I guarantee you if he gets past Carolina or Denver somehow (this won't happen), NFC East teams will be calling the Bears, or anyone else around us like the Pats who need a QB to see if they're interested in Fields. They do not want us getting a franchise QB, Fields getting past the Eagles would be trouble because we could start calling the Chargers at pick 13. Picks 8-12 aren't happening though, we have to move up to 7 and the cost would be massive. 

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

There's just no realistic path for us to trade up for Fields if he starts sliding. I guarantee you if he gets past Carolina or Denver somehow (this won't happen), NFC East teams will be calling the Bears, or anyone else around us like the Pats who need a QB to see if they're interested in Fields. They do not want us getting a franchise QB, Fields getting past the Eagles would be trouble because we could start calling the Chargers at pick 13. Picks 8-12 aren't happening though, we have to move up to 7 and the cost would be massive. 

I don’t think 19 to 7 is insane for a possible franchise QB. Eggs and omelettes and such. 

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I feel like we'd have to give up more than San Francisco did and is there not some sort of cap to the amount of draft picks you can trade? 

Not according to the draft trade chart. The number 3 pick is worth 2200 and the number 12 pick 1200, making a difference of 1000 points. The number 7 pic is worth 1500 and the 19th 850. That’s a difference of 650. 

According to the old chart, we’d have to pay about 1/3 less than the 49’ers to move up to 7. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_trade_value.htm

This time, I know who we have as the starter, but he's going to compete with everybody else," said Rivera, talking for the first time about Fitzpatrick's signing. "I want to play the guy that's going to give us the best opportunity to win, the best opportunity to grow and develop as a football team."

It's also still possible that one of Fitzpatrick's competitors will be a rookie selected later this month. Though Rivera played down the need to draft a quarterback, sources have consistently said since the Fitzpatrick signing that Washington would like to draft a quarterback. It wants to have a young, talented passer to groom -- and it's possible the team won't take one with the 19th pick but perhaps in the second or third round, according to a source.

"Picking where we're picking, there are a lot of things that can happen," Rivera said. "We have targets, we have ideas, we have guys that we like, but that always changes just because of the fact that everybody has a choice. You just never know what's going to happen at that point."

However, Rivera said there is no pressure to take one now. Washington could opt to bypass a quarterback, focusing more on building the roster, and try again next offseason.

In 2011, Rivera's first draft pick in Carolina was quarterback Cam Newton, taken with the top choice. But, Rivera said, it took four years to surround him with the necessary talent. That also happened to be the year Carolina went 15-1 and reached the Super Bowl. Rivera said they might have to take a different approach in Washington.

"I've always thought if you can do it the other way, where you put all the other pieces around and then go out and get your quarterback, that might be a pretty good situation too," he said.

Washington attempted to trade for Matthew Stafford and explored other quarterbacks, but Fitzpatrick was always on its mind; in his 20 starts with Miami, he threw a combined 33 touchdowns to 21 interceptions. Washington likes how his experience will help younger players on offense develop.

"There are a lot of positive things about having this type of guy around," Rivera said. "When I was in Carolina at one time and we had to compete against him, you always sat there and go, 'Gosh, this guy -- there's something about this guy.' It's going to be intriguing for us to see exactly how it unfolds and how it fits with us."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31165378/nfl-mock-draft-2021-todd-mcshay-predictions-all-64-picks-rounds-1-2-plus-where-seven-qbs-land

8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Not according to the draft trade chart. The number 3 pick is worth 2200 and the number 12 pick 1200, making a difference of 1000 points. The number 7 pic is worth 1500 and the 19th 850. That’s a difference of 650. 

According to the old chart, we’d have to pay about 1/3 less than the 49’ers to move up to 7. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_trade_value.htm

That would be nice, as a baseline that's good. I'd love to trade up for Fields, the dude just oozes potential. We would have the luxury of having a talent like that sit for a year, learn the NFL ropes, develop and learn the offense, while also practicing against one of the best defenses in the league for a year. Fields needs to sit until he is ready though, his development has to be done the right way. 

I think Detroit is our best shot at trading up to get a franchise QB in this draft. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some of McShay's picks

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31165378/nfl-mock-draft-2021-todd-mcshay-predictions-all-64-picks-rounds-1-2-plus-where-seven-qbs-land

11. New England Patriots (via mock trade with NYG)

Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

Even after the Niners' move up the board, it doesn't appear Jimmy Garoppolo is in the cards this season for the Patriots. And while they brought back Cam Newton, the veteran is only signed for a year at $3.5 million guaranteed. The Pats haven't spent a first-round pick on a QB since 1993 (Drew Bledsoe), but now is the time. Fields is accurate downfield and can develop into a top-tier starter for a team searching for stability at the position in the post-Tom Brady era.

15. New York Giants (via mock trade with NE)

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, ILB, Notre Dame

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants look at USC guard Alijah Vera-Tucker, but they just took three linemen in the first five rounds last year, including Andrew Thomas at No. 4 overall. And while the defense was stellar last season, getting defensive coordinator Patrick Graham a versatile, rangy, fast, instinctive linebacker like Owusu-Koramoah will help keep it that way.

19. Washington Football Team

Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

The signing of Curtis Samuel means Washington likely won't take Florida receiver Kadarius Toney, who has a similar skill set, and there really isn't another receiver in this range. Other big-need areas don't have any value here either, including quarterback, linebacker and tight end. I think it's slightly early for Darrisaw -- a smooth and powerful zone blocker -- but he is certainly one of the top tackles, and Washington would be able to beat the OT rush that likely begins toward the end of Round 1.

23. New York Jets (via SEA)

Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

With Wilson being the pick at No. 2, New York now has to help him out. I liked the Jets bringing in Corey Davis and Keelan Cole Sr., but this is another potential spot for Terrace Marshall Jr. or perhaps Ole Miss' Elijah Moore. And don't rule out an offensive tackle like Teven Jenkins (Oklahoma State). I'm going with Etienne, though. He has breakaway speed and can catch passes out of the backfield. The Jets need a true game-changer at running back, and he's exactly that, scoring 78 touchdowns from scrimmage over his time at Clemson.

pit.png&h=110&w=110

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

Teven Jenkins is tempting here. He's a mauler on the offensive line, and the Steelers must rebuild that unit from the ground up. Ultimately, I went in a different direction because the lineman class is deep -- I have more than a dozen in this mock -- and running back is just as much of a concern. Harris is a powerful back who is nearly impossible to stop between the tackles. The Steelers' 3.6 yards per carry ranked dead last in the NFL last season, and it doesn't appear that James Conner is returning, currently leaving the rushing to an unproven group of Benny Snell Jr., Anthony McFarland Jr., Kalen Ballage and Jaylen Samuels. Let's get an impact running back.

27. Baltimore Ravens

Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU

The Ravens were the only team in the NFL with fewer than 2,000 passing yards when targeting wide receivers last season -- they were well short of even the second-worst team at 1,729 yards -- and their current solve is adding Sammy Watkins, who hasn't played 16 games since his 2014 rookie season and hasn't broken 700 yards since 2015. So while a pass-rusher could be in play with Matthew Judon and Yannick Ngakoue departing Baltimore, this one is a no-brainer for me. Marshall has 6-foot-4 size, is explosive downfield and caught 10 TDs last season for LSU.

no.png&h=110&w=110

28. New Orleans Saints

Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss

The cap-strapped Saints roster took a hit in March, with multiple impact players heading elsewhere for more money or, in the case of Drew Brees, retiring. Will it be Jameis Winston or Taysom Hill at quarterback -- or both? Regardless, New Orleans has to have more weapons in the pass game, especially with Emmanuel Sanders and Jared Cook not coming back. Moore operates mainly out of the slot, and he has the hands and burst to pick up big chunks of yardage. He was second in the nation to DeVonta Smith in catches and yards last season.

gb.png&h=110&w=110

29. Green Bay Packers

Jamin Davis, ILB, Kentucky

Davis could replace Christian Kirksey, who signed with the Texans. He is an off-the-ball linebacker who can impact multiple facets of the defense, and he's a very good tackler in space. As for the WR-sized elephant in the room, Louisville's Tutu Atwell and Minnesota's Rashod Bateman are worth a look, but this class is deep, and Davis' game could be perfect for the Green Bay defense.

32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Zaven Collins, OLB, Tulsa

It's best available player for a team that is returning all of its starters from a Super Bowl-winning roster. Collins is a 3-4 OLB who could replace Jason Pierre-Paul if the Bucs don't bring him back in 2022. He sneaks in to close Round 1, marking Tulsa's only first-round pick in the common draft era (since 1967).

Actually, I'd be very happy with Darrisaw at #19 and Mond with our 2nd round pick.  We then go TE & LB with our 3rds.

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Actually, I'd be very happy with Darrisaw at #19 and Mond with our 2nd round pick.  We then go TE & LB with our 3rds.

Not for me friend. Too rich for a risk QB. With Fitz on board, first couple of picks, I want some elite athletes that start and impact day 1. Even a TE too soon is borderline conservative, IMO.

17 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I would rather see Darrisaw at 19 and either LB Davis or Werner or TE Tremble at 51, then go TE or LB  and a QB (Newman, Mond, Mills) in the third

I am not big on a QB in the 2nd

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Leatherwood --- what's his knock?

Last year, when he was rumored to consider coming out, many had him over Jedrick Wills. He went back, and now he's like OT6? OT7? Dude was a Top 10 guy before the season and from what I can tell, his play didn't fall off in any way?

OT 4 for me.

Archived