Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I went over film on some TE's again last night. I keep thinking I'm going to find another mid rounder I like, but that didn't happen. Outside of the first few that have been discussed to death and will go before the 3rd round, it's slim pickings.

What I do like is there are a lot of move guys. The two I continue to like the most are McKitty and Yeboah. If they one of these guys the will need to take them in the 3rd because they will probably be gone in the 4th. McKitty's potential with the way he moves so fluidly and lines up everywhere intrigues me the most. Based on last years draft and FA I am guessing WFT has a couple other diamond in the roughs they will look to grab one of them on day 3. 

One guy I don't understand, and perhaps it is just the limited film is Hunter Long. He has a great resume and good size but I didn't see him able to separate at all. Every catch was contested. Feels like he would be decent in the red zone but I am sure how he would translate elsewhere. 

I think I found a late TE diamond in the rough player I like.   Briley Moore, Kansas State.  

I can only find different highlight films for him, based on that small sample, the dude can seperate, break tackles, catch the ball.   Looks like he plays with fire.   I looked up his stats with PFF.  He has one of the highest run blocking scores among their TE grades, one of the lowest drop %, and one of the highest receiving grades.  They project him in the 5th round.   Downside I can see is that unlike some of the TEs I have watched he doesn't have the long legs/long arms working for him.  He's a bit squatty looking on both fronts. 

You add big time athleticism and I am intrigued. 

Matt Miller did a mock, I don't always agree with his takes but he's another who claims he's plugged in to some degree to what personnel people are thinking.

Who knows but I am seeing some common players/spots from one mock to the to the other -- some of which is different from earlier on the process. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.33.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.33.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.33.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.33.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.34.11 AM.png

2021 NFC EAST TEAM NEEDS AND PROSPECT FITS

Washington Team Needs

1. Quarterback

Ryan Fitzpatrick is an exciting one-year rental who is good enough for a playoff run with this roster, but if a long-term option is available, this is the biggest need in Washington. At 19th overall, it’s looking unlikely that one of the consensus top-five quarterbacks will fall. The franchise quarterback could be found in 2022.

1.19 Options: Justin Fields (EDP: 5), Trey Lance (6), Mac Jones (17)

2.51 Options: Kyle Trask (EDP: 53)

3.74 Options: Jamie Newman (EDP: 95), Kellen Mond (107), Davis Mills (113)

3.82 Options: Jamie Newman (EDP: 95), Kellen Mond (107), Davis Mills (113)

2. Left Tackle

Washington’s entire offensive line returns in 2021, but there’s room for an upgrade over former UDFA Cornelius Lucas who will be a free agent next offseason. The 30-year-old has bounced around the league as a swing tackle.

1.19 Options: Christian Darrisaw (17), Alijah Vera-Tucker (20), Samuel Cosmi (24)

2.51 Options: Alex Leatherwood (37), Dillon Radunz (55), Jackson Carman (57)

3.74 Options: James Hudson (66), Walker Little (92), Brady Christensen (93)

3.82 Options: Walker Little (92), Brady Christensen (93), Dan Moore (95)

3. Off-Ball Linebacker

Two of the four off-ball linebackers in last year’s rotation won’t be back and former first-rounder Reuben Foster hasn’t played in two years due to a serious knee injury. Washington’s current starters (Jon Bostic, Cole Holcomb) aren’t long-term options and coverage liabilities.

1.19 Options: Micah Parsons (EDP: 13), Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (25), Zaven Collins (28)

2.51 Options: Jamin Davis (EDP: 40), Nick Bolton (44), Jabril Cox (56)

3.74 Options: Dylan Moses (EDP: 67), Chazz Surratt (79), Baron Browning (80)

3.82 Options: Chazz Surratt (EDP: 79), Baron Browning (80), Monty Rice (115)

4. Outside Receiver

Terry McLaurin has a running mate in slot WR Curtis Samuel, but the third receiver spot is wide open still and 79% of Washington’s pass attempts came in 11-personnel last year. There’s enough speed throughout the offense, so the priority should be finding more size.

1.19 Options: Rashod Bateman (EDP: 30)

2.51 Options: Terrace Marshall (EDP: 36), Dyami Brown (73)

3.74 Options: Dyami Brown (EDP: 73), Tylan Wallace (81), Seth Williams (92)

3.82 Options: Seth Williams (92), Nico Collins (97), Sage Surratt (98)

5. Free Safety

It’s possible 2020 seventh-round breakout SS Kamren Curl plays free safety, but he didn’t take many snaps there last year, at least in single-high looks. If Del Rio wants to play Cover 1 and Cover 3 again, he needs to find a true free safety. 29-year-old former UDFA Deshazor Everett is a depth option, not a long-term starter. 

1.19 Options: NA

2.51 Options: Richie Grant (EDP: 58), Andre Cisco (64)

3.74 Options: Caden Sterns (EDP: 84), Ar’Darius Washington (98)

3.82 Options: Ar’Darius Washington (EDP: 98), Damar Hamlin (108), Richard LeCounte (117)

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/nfl-draft-preview/2021-nfc-east-team-needs-and-prospect-fits

7 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

5. Free Safety

It’s possible 2020 seventh-round breakout SS Kamren Curl plays free safety, but he didn’t take many snaps there last year, at least in single-high looks. If Del Rio wants to play Cover 1 and Cover 3 again, he needs to find a true free safety. 29-year-old former UDFA Deshazor Everett is a depth option, not a long-term starter. 

1.19 Options: NA

2.51 Options: Richie Grant (EDP: 58), Andre Cisco (64)

3.74 Options: Caden Sterns (EDP: 84), Ar’Darius Washington (98)

3.82 Options: Ar’Darius Washington (EDP: 98), Damar Hamlin (108), Richard LeCounte (117)

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/nfl-draft-preview/2021-nfc-east-team-needs-and-prospect-fits

Interesting idea, models make sense for many since as this guy mentioned he likely doesn't really know what he's doing (like near everyone else).  Kind of funny he had same FS for Cowbiys and us. 

LT, LB, FS and WR would make sense.  I'd be curious to see a 4th round added.  I think TE before WR makes sense depending on who it available.

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Matt Miller did a mock, I don't always agree with his takes but he's another who claims he's plugged in to some degree to what personnel people are thinking.

Who knows but I am seeing some common players/spots from one mock to the to the other -- some of which is different from earlier on the process. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.33.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.33.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.33.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.33.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.34.11 AM.png

Love Darrisaw!  Would gladly take him at #19.  

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Love Darrisaw!  Would gladly take him at #19.  

He'd be my pick if he falls to 19 and its slam dunk for me.   LT is such a premium spot. 

But even though he falls to 19 often in mocks, I think 50-50 at best he's still there.  I think my next two targets after would be:  Jenkins or Cosmi.  I think you might be able to trade down (if you can find a trader partner) and get either one.  Otherwise I am a big fan of J. Davis, Collins, Koramoah.  Collins has his pro day today I am fascinated to see his pro day numbers.  

I was just listening to Cosell rave about J. Davis (not that I always agree with him) and that's his fav LB in this class. 

On another note, Sheehan apparently doubling down on his man crush on Kyle Trask.  He likes Trask over Jones.  I find that ironic considering he also touts to death the Shanahans being offensive gurus and he thinks Jones is their target at #3.  He thinks Trask is too good to fall to pick #51, and teams will have to trade up to get him.

Sheehan had a SEC reporter on his show who watched many of these guys in person, he loves J. Davis, loves Elijah Moore and thinks he's up there with Waddle.  Said that he knows Elijah's intangibles are through the roof, really hard worker, etc.

I heard on Standig's podcast him double down that he heard they like Davis Mills.

21 hours ago, KDawg said:

The Fields stuff is fascinating. It’s not based on film or workouts in shorts, that’s for sure.

I think it is based on film. Great athlete, arm and accuracy, but he stares down receivers, has a loopy throwing motion and apparently has trouble identifying the blitz. I like the guy and would be happy if we get him, but it's not like he doesn't have warts. 

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pitts IMO is the best player in this draft.

I feel like if he was that much of a baller, he'd be a WR. RG3 was fast too, but was stiff as a board. I'm not saying Pitts isn't a great prospect, but if a TE ends up the top player in the draft, something is wrong with this draft class. I doubt I'd pick Travis Kelce, as the top pick in any draft and I have a hard time believing Pitts ends up better.

I think people are too caught up on the t-shirt and shorts stuff, tbh. TE just isn't THAT valuable of a position

Darrisaw is an smart and wise choice if he’s there at 19. 
He’s clearly a step above the other OT’s.

If he’s not there I wouldnt be shocked if we go a different direction. I also would totally understand and support if they went with the Davis, JOK, athletic traits at LB over say a Collins. So I’m open to going with the flow, and think we have good options at where we pick.

Just watched some Andre Cisco, safety, I like him.  If he falls to the third/forth, I'd consider.    He's somewhat raw but has some really intriguing tools.  

Pros

Speed-size. 

Ball Skills

Can do it all -- can play the run or the pass. Play FS or SS.   Played more FS

Played some single high in the mix from what I saw -- might be helpful if we play more cover 1/man

Can cover in the slot

Seems to bring some attitude -- mean streak

Sheds tackles well

Cons

Coming off of an ACL injury, missed most of last season

Gets fooled -- doesn't always diagnose well, you can misdirect him

Plays sometimes too aggressive and overruns plays

15 minutes ago, Wrong Direction said:

I feel like if he was that much of a baller, he'd be a WR. RG3 was fast too, but was stiff as a board. I'm not saying Pitts isn't a great prospect, but if a TE ends up the top player in the draft, something is wrong with this draft class. I doubt I'd pick Travis Kelce, as the top pick in any draft and I have a hard time believing Pitts ends up better.

I think people are too caught up on the t-shirt and shorts stuff, tbh. TE just isn't THAT valuable of a position

I've seen many of Pitts games.  My love of his play has zero to do with his pro day.  That's just gravy.  He's not some dude who is just an OK player with freakish athleticism.  

Yeah. He isnt gonna match Davis's pro day numbers. But watching Collins game tape is a thing of beauty. Instant read and react LB. I know I have been down on Davis in the first. That all has to do with his read and reaction times. If the team feels better picking the better athlete in Davis I will be fine with it. But Collins is ready to step in and play right now. Davis isnt IMO. 

34 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. He isnt gonna match Davis's pro day numbers. But watching Collins game tape is a thing of beauty. Instant read and react LB. I know I have been down on Davis in the first. That all has to do with his read and reaction times. If the team feels better picking the better athlete in Davis I will be fine with it. But Collins is ready to step in and play right now. Davis isnt IMO. 

IMO Collins has some rawness to his game too.  I am pretty sure I was the first here touting Collins.  I talked about him early during the college season.  So I got something vested in him.  And I am a fan of his play.  He's not the best wrap up tackler.   He had one of the highest missed tackle rates among linebackers. He gets serious hype for his pass rushing but on the front its mostly driven by his motor/bull rushing.  What I love about him is he's force in the passing game, I love watching a dude that size backpeddle and cover.  He also will make plays -- picks, bats the ball down, etc.

I do think both he and Davis have in common being athletic freaks with loads of potential.  Neither IMO are completely polished products.   Davis played in the SEC.  Collins' competition was not the same.  They are different kind of players but I think ironically what they have in common is their freakish athletic ability and are capable both in the passing and run game.   Modern 3 down linebackers.  I like Davis ability over Collins to make tackles in the open field and by a decent margin.  I like Collins ability over Davis to shed blocks and make plays in coverage.  

I know some here said the other day they don't care if their linebackers can rush the passer.  But personally I like it in the mix of a tool box.    That is a big part of Devin White's charm in Tampa. If you a got a linebacker like him who actually poses a real threat on a blitz and can create fear with offenses with double A blitzes, etc -- the domino effect helps the whole pass rush.   And for Zaven that's certainly in the tool box, and from what I saw for Jamin too.   IMO there is no such thing as too much pass rush.  

I'm seeing Najee and Etienne go in the first in most mocks.  coming to grips with the fact we're not going to get them.

To me, Pitts is somewhere between Darren Waller and Calvin Johnson.  He is a unique player, but I don't think he's the best non QB in the class.  I would have Sewell and Chase above him.  IMO Sewell and Chase Young and Burrow were the best players in CFB in 2019, and he was only 18/19 years old.  I think he has Hall of Fame upside and believe he is an Orlando Pace caliber of prospect that could go #1 in a year without good QB prospects.  And Chase is still the top skill player for me.  He was dominant as a true sophomore against a slate of early round corners.  Not a single one could match up with him.  I think he is a more gifted version of DeAndre Hopkins.  He's super translatable since he can win with route running, power, toughness, and speed.  Valid to point out what a unique challenge it is to cover Pitts, but I'm not sure how you cover Chase.  I don't think there will be any corners to check him one on one once he hits his prime.

How about Terrace Marshall's 40 time too.  Just getting very strong baby Metcalf vibes from him.  What a panoply of weapons Burrow had in 2019.  I want us to get him, Rondale, or Bateman at 51.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm seeing Najee and Etienne go in the first in most mocks.  coming to grips with the fact we're not going to get them.

To me, Pitts is somewhere between Darren Waller and Calvin Johnson.  He is a unique player, but I don't think he's the best non QB in the class.  I would have Sewell and Chase above him.  IMO Sewell and Chase Young and Burrow were the best players in CFB in 2019, and he was only 18/19 years old.  I think he has Hall of Fame upside and believe he is an Orlando Pace caliber of prospect that could go #1 in a year without good QB prospects.  And Chase is still the top skill player for me.  He was dominant as a true sophomore against a slate of early round corners.  Not a single one could match up with him.  I think he is a more gifted version of DeAndre Hopkins.  He's super translatable since he can win with route running, power, toughness, and speed.  Valid to point out what a unique challenge it is to cover Pitts, but I'm not sure how you cover Chase.  I don't think there will be any corners to check him one on one once he hits his prime.

Pitts and Chase are like 1A and 1B.  You can't go wrong with either.  I think Pitts goes before Chase if Atlanta can't trade down and decides not to take a QB since they are already loaded at WR vs TE.  

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Agree almost completely on Pitts!!

Absolute stud but Sewell is my Offense1 and my overall 1. Pitts falls somewhere in the next set with Chase, Smith and Najee. 

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think Najee and Etienne go worse case early 2nd so out of our range.

I think Pitts is a better player than Sewell and I love Sewell.  But LT>>>>>>TE.  I love J. Chase.  Tough call for me between Pitts and Chase.  

I like a lot of prospects in the range of our pick but I have been consistent since the college season -- how can we pass on a LT in a draft like this one?  It's such a high premium position.  I can gush about Zaven or Davis or Koramoah or Elijah Moore or whomever but a left tackle IMO is more important.  Plus the high end left tackles get paid a fortune these days.  So having a young LT on the cheap is a mini version of having a QB on the cheap.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Najee and Etienne go worse case early 2nd so out of our range.

I think Pitts is a better player than Sewell and I love Sewell.  But LT>>>>>>TE.  I love J. Chase.  Tough call for me between Pitts and Chase.  

I like a lot of prospects in the range of our pick but I have been consistent since the college season -- how can we pass on a LT in a draft like this one?  It's such a high premium position.  I can gush about Zaven or Davis or Koramoah or Elijah Moore or whomever but a left tackle IMO is more important.  Plus the high end left tackles get paid a fortune these days.  So having a young LT on the cheap is a mini version of having a QB on the cheap.

I'm with you.  Its just that I think there is no way one of Sewell, Slater, and Darisow falls to 19.  I think it is a lock that the Chargers and Minny take LT.  Bengals obviously could take Sewell (or Pitts/Chase).  Miami could take Sewell at 6 (although I think they traded back up to get one of Pitts/Chase).  Carolina could take Sewell (if no QB).  Dallas could take Sewell (if no CB).  Heck, Detroit could take Sewell (BPA and would play RT until Decker fades).

We all like Cosmi on this board, but it seems like no one in the draft community does.  Maybe he falls to our 2nd round pick?

Imagine getting Davis/Collins at 19 and then Cosmi at 51?

Heck, I think its possible that one of Waddle or Da'Vonta falls to 19 (credit to SteveMcqueen for first posting about that).

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'm with you.  Its just that I think there is no way one of Sewell, Slater, and Darisow falls to 19.  I think it is a lock that the Chargers and Minny take LT.  Bengals obviously could take Sewell (or Pitts/Chase).  Miami could take Sewell at 6 (although I think they traded back up to get one of Pitts/Chase).  Carolina could take Sewell (if no QB).  Dallas could take Sewell (if no CB).  Heck, Detroit could take Sewell (BPA and would play RT until Decker fades).

We all like Cosmi on this board, but it seems like no one in the draft community does.  Maybe he falls to our 2nd round pick?

Imagine getting Davis/Collins at 19 and then Cosmi at 51?

Heck, I think its possible that one of Waddle or Da'Vonta falls to 19 (credit to SteveMcqueen for first posting about that).

Darrisaw falls to us at 19 a lot in mocks.  I think there is a shot he does but I'd bet against it.

I have to rewatch Cosmi.  It's been a long time.  I notice the mock drafters have concerns about his ability to anchor as a pass blocker. 

From what I recall the two most hyped people here about Tevin Jenkins are me and @stevemcqueen1 unless I am forgetting someone.  Mcqueen was on him first.   I was concerned about his length but coming it at 33.5 I could deal with that.  He plays with such a mean streak -- so much fun to watch as a run blocker.  He had a killer quote the other day about the style he plays with but I couldn't put it here because there were a bunch of expletives in the quote. :ols:

The 40 time for Zaven for me is dissapointing.  I said about him and Jamin since their narrative is driven to a good extent by their athleticism, their pro days I think will be more relevant than some.

Zaven overall had a good pro day.   But the hype about how fast he runs for his size might be overplayed.  Some said in the past he has Urlacher's size but can run faster.    Maybe game speed is a different story.  But judging purely on 40 time, Urlacher ironically was faster than Collins. 

Archived