Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Saahdiq Charles, OT LSU

zCommander

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

5th rounders don’t often turn into stud LTs, so there isn’t a ton of room for optimism... I think there’s more hope for Charles than Christian fwiw. One of the biggest problems is that we lost Callahan and TW, so I don’t know who we have that will get this kid’s head on straight. 

Good thing he’s a 2nd/3rd round talent. And of course he’s going to be a little ****y. He played LT for the best college football team of all time and protected the QB who just had the best QB season of all time and went #1. That whole oline were a bunch of dogs this year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheShredder said:

This kid looks like he eats vegans. His demeanor and body language shows signs of being an immature thug.  That can be a good thing if he can focus on ball and stay away from weed.

With the new CBA smoking weed isn't an issue either anymore so we dont have to worry about him there.

The guy is 20, so it will be an ongoing process as far as his maturity, especially after you hand him more money than he has ever seen.

I think Doug and RR are up to the task of helping to groom the young man into a professional you can count on.  And if not, it was worth the gamble.

I predict he will be the starting LT day one, outperforming Moses even.

Watching the Alabama game he definitely doesnt look like a 2nd round talent.  What he looks like is a guy who is very strong, appears to handle any bullrushes well, but really struggled with speed and quickness.  The quick guys beat him pretty well and he looked slow to recover on a lot of moves, I think thats what they will need to fix for him to have success in the NFL.

Edited by Peregrine

I hate the “he was round X talent even though he got drafted in round Y”. Literally every year, every team thinks their draft picks are “steals”. Sometimes its true, as in Terry McLaurin but mostly it fails. 

Edited by dyst
  • Like 2

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

In all honesty once Trent was traded I didn't think it was going to be possible to get a guy with this much potential. I understand he is not a first round grade and there are issues on and off the field, but truthfully did anyone expect us to do any better at that point in the draft?

it was great wasn’t it. They announced the trade as we were picking the guy. In fact the coverage screwed up and thought we’d traded picks with DET in the draft :ols:

Just now, dyst said:

I hate the “ he was round X talent even though he got drafted in round Y”. Literally every year, every team thinks there draft picks are “steals”. Sometimes its true, as in Terry McLaurin but mostly it fails. 

My buddy, an Eagles fan, was bragging once that the Eagles said they got everyone they targeted!  I had to inform him that they all say that, they won't get up there and say "well we really liked that guy but he was gone so we settled for this guy". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

My buddy, an Eagles fan, was bragging once that the Eagles said they got everyone they targeted!  I had to inform him that they all say that, they won't get up there and say "well we really liked that guy but he was gone so we settled for this guy". 

Pretty much. Its just fan optimism and I get it, but funny in a way. How many 1st rounders have we drafted in the later rounds now?

28 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

it was great wasn’t it. They announced the trade as we were picking the guy. In fact the coverage screwed up and thought we’d traded picks with DET in the draft :ols:

As almost every mock draft I ran down the stretch can attest, Charles was one of the guys I really, really wanted. I thought getting him in the 4th >>>> someone like Peart Prince or Wilson who many had mocked in the early 3rd. Charles was my guy all along.

Why? He had high-end LT talent. Everyone else who was outside of the Top 4 OTs was either a "project" ... a Right Tackle ... or someone that could actually kick in to Guard. Hell, even Wills and Wirfs were in the RT / Guard conversation.

True LTs are pretty hard to come by. Andrew Thomas and Mekhi Becton topped the list, but after them the best pure LT in this class, IMO was Charles. And he did it at an elite level at LSU. The tape didn't lie. He doesn't quite have the size/measurables as some of the Round 1 guys but he was as close as you could get to them without having a Top 15 pick.

Charles' issues were two-fold. He had the off-field concerns which led to 2 suspensions. And he is/was young. He's 20. Won't turn 21 until December.

We have definitely been burned in the past by "raw" guys that have failed to develop. Christian came out a year too early, many said ... but he could project as an LT if he developed properly. To date, he has not. Charles is similar in projection ... BUT I think his college production and level of performance/opponents trumps Christian coming out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, dyst said:

I hate the “he was round X talent even though he got drafted in round Y”. Literally every year, every team thinks there draft picks are “steals”. Sometimes its true, as in Terry McLaurin but mostly it fails. 

On the other hand, the position of "its very possible we got ****ty players in the good rounds, and we definitely got ****ty players in the ****ty rounds" isn't much more of an informed take.

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

With the new CBA smoking weed isn't an issue either anymore so we dont have to worry about him there.

Testing positive for marijuana isn't an issue. Alcohol and weed can DEFINITELY be an issue beyond just failing drug tests. Mature usage usually isn't, but it definitely can be. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

I'm beginning to wonder if he won't get a chance to be the starting LG.  Seems well suited for it now with a chance to kick out to tackle.

I think we are pretty well set at LG, TBH. You drafted Wes Martin do be your future there and let Flowers go in FA primarily for that reason. And you brought in Schweitzer as competition/veteran depth. No need to plug Charles in there when there's plenty of depth. IOL is the one spot I am not concerned about, particularly # of bodies ...

Guard: Scherff, Martin, Schweitzer

Center: Roullier, Piercshbacher, Ismael

Tackle: Lucas, Moses, Charles, Christian

If I had to guess, those are your final 10 offensive linemen on the roster. I think the versatility of Pierschbacher and Ismael to play Guard and Center gives versatility on the interior.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You may here about settling for this guy years later if the guy they claim they settled on was JAG and/or the guy they claim they targeted but missed becomes elite. Even then, hind sight changes the story.

3 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

I'm beginning to wonder if he won't get a chance to be the starting LG.  Seems well suited for it now with a chance to kick out to tackle.

I agree.

More chance in 2020 that he starts at LG rather than LT in my opinion.

I’m still hoping Geron Christian can take that next step after being on the team for 2 years. This would be his third year and the year guys either get it or they are gone. Here is his draft profile from Walter football prior to the 2018 draft:

Christian is extremely raw and needs a lot of development for the NFL. He has terrible technique and gives up some bad pressures. He is slow to redirect back to the inside, and counter moves give him a lot of problems because he oversets far too often. While Christian needs a ton of work on his technique, his athletic ability is his redeeming trait. His athleticism is tough to find, and that makes him a worthy project with huge upside. If Christian works hard to develop his technique and improve, he has the potential to be a very good starting left tackle as a pro. 

fingers crossed!!!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SmallDaddy said:

I’m still hoping Geron Christian can take that next step after being on the team for 2 years. This would be his third year and the year guys either get it or they are gone. Here is his draft profile from Walter football prior to the 2018 draft:

Christian is extremely raw and needs a lot of development for the NFL. He has terrible technique and gives up some bad pressures. He is slow to redirect back to the inside, and counter moves give him a lot of problems because he oversets far too often. While Christian needs a ton of work on his technique, his athletic ability is his redeeming trait. His athleticism is tough to find, and that makes him a worthy project with huge upside. If Christian works hard to develop his technique and improve, he has the potential to be a very good starting left tackle as a pro. 

fingers crossed!!!

I think Christian was drafted to be our insurance / replacement for Trent ... and at worst the replacement for Moses. I am not throwing in the towel on him but he hasn't been great through 2 years. I know OL, especially raw OL need 2-3 years to fully develop ... but I think there's a chance he emerges as the LT OR RT this year. Obviously LT is the more pressing need, but if you have a 3-way tie between Charles, Moses and Christian at the 2 OT spots I could see them throwing in Christian and Charles. That being said, it would be a risky move unless there was high confidence they would perform. Curious to see how the depth chart stacks up when camp starts and see where the team places Christian and Charles. Is LT 3-deep with Lucas - Charles - Christian and then Moses is solo at RT? Or do they put Christian or Charles at RT? Both are natural LTs, so hard to say.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

In all honesty once Trent was traded I didn't think it was going to be possible to get a guy with this much potential. I understand he is not a first round grade and there are issues on and off the field, but truthfully did anyone expect us to do any better at that point in the draft?

We could have traded up a few slots in the back end of round 3 and grabbed Jones. That would have been amazing. Probably would have cost us a 5th or a few picks though..

25 minutes ago, StepyagameuP said:

We could have traded up a few slots in the back end of round 3 and grabbed Jones. That would have been amazing. Probably would have cost us a 5th or a few picks though..

Or we could have used our 3rd round pick on Jones which is what a lot of us was hoping would happen.  Hard to say what it would have cost to move up, wondering if the deal with the Niners would have been the same if we had already selected his potential replacement, removing any sense of leverage the team had left with the possibility of retaining Williams (I no longer call him Trent).  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

I think a lot of people are distraught over losing Callahan but are forgetting that our new offensive line coach is no slouch.

John matsko is a very very experienced coach with a ton of success at coaching the offensive line.

Maybe Christian is borderline ready to take that next step and a new perspective on his needs could be just what the doctor ordered.

I'm not optimistic about the talent on our offensive line.

I think it's going to be another year or two of strong drafts before we can have real confidence in it but I do think if it's not a weakness this year it'll be because we have a coach with 40 years experience and a long track record of getting the most out of his lineman. 

Matsko was the OL Coach of the Super Bowl Champion Rams in 1999.

He was also the OL Coach of the Ravens from 2008-11, whose team made the playoffs each year, and won at least 1 playoff game in each of those 4 years.

And in 9 years with the Panthers, his team made the playoffs 4 of those years, including of course, the Super Bowl appearance.

So, not only has he been an NFL O-Line coach for 28 years straight, but his O-Lines have made the playoffs and won playoff games quite often.

• Like 3