Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Saahdiq Charles, OT LSU

zCommander

42 minutes ago, SmallDaddy said:

Will Scott Turner be running a zone blocking system?

I assume so based on the type of players we drafted in this class as well as the Carolina run game front last season.  Run game based on overflow and TE/H-Back/Slot motion.  It would make sense for him to try and import that style to our offense next season.

Saahdiq Charles played in a shotgun spread passing offense at LSU last season that was heavy on five man protections, so I think that's a good translation for what he'll be doing in the NFL.  If he can hold up physically, he might get more playing time as a rookie than initially expected.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, SmallDaddy said:

Will Scott Turner be running a zone blocking system?

I've wondered about that as well. I have no idea what the hell we were with Gruden, just that we sucked.

Matter of fact, one of the first bits I remember hearing about him after his hire was a question about our run game, and whether we were gonna be man, zone, or gap.

His response (in classic Gruden-ese) "I like 'em all, man"

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

Christian had a much more limited sample size last season but per PFF's grades overall he didn't seem much worse than Penn or Moses. In fact, on pass blocking he was graded higher than both of them. His biggest issue was run blocking it seems (by a large margin).

In 146 snaps played in 2019, Christian had the following PFF grades:

Overall: 63.0

Pass Blocking: 72.0

Run Blocking: 53.1

In 885 snaps played in 2019, Penn had the following PFF grades:

Overall: 64.1

Pass Blocking: 64.1

Run Blocking: 63.2

In 858 snaps played in 2019, Moses had the following PFF grades:

Overall: 65.2

Pass Blocking: 69.5

Run Blocking: 60.8

Seems that if Christian can improve his run blocking he could be a really good Tackle as that pass blocking grade is pretty good, especially for a young guy who's still relatively new to the NFL.

Thanks for looking up some stats...even if you don't agree with them or with PFF's grading system in general, it's always better than the Fan Eye Test lol...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Thanks for looking up some stats...even if you don't agree with them or with PFF's grading system in general, it's always better than the Fan Eye Test lol...

No problem. Honestly, I'm on and off about PFF's grading systems generally. They do have some solid stuff but some others seem to be a bit dubious. From my experience their OL grades aren't too shabby, but that's just personal opinion. It at least can give some semblance of a quantitative aspect to what's usually a qualitative analysis. 

• Like 3

This young man is athletic and has good feet.  He needs to get stronger and has the frame to support it.  My expectation is that he will start this year as a backup/swing tackle and when either tackle gets hurt (like they always seem to around here) he will step in and never look back.  He will be our starting left tackle for the next several years after that.

Coach O loves this dude.  He stressed accountability for your actions and this is evident in this young mans attitude..  He was the heart of the best offensive line in college football last year and I expect this to carry on to the NFL.  Trent was the cornerstone for years, but the skins didn't win (not his fault).  Hopefully his tenure as our cornerstone accompanied by the other changes can result in some wins.  HTTR.

Charles' OL Coach went out of his way to praise him. Said the Skins are getting a good one.

Followed by similar praise from one of the LSU D-Linemen, who went against Charles every day. Says Charles is "athletic with an extremely powerful lower body and long arms."

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 8

13 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

If and it's a big IF Charles becomes the LT the Skins believe he can, they basically won on the TW trade

Not in a "direct" way, considering the pick we used on Charles was un-related to the TW trade. Charles was a 4th, and we got a 5th in that draft from SF.

But I would agree overall, we came out of the situation better. Because we'd have a LT for the future, where-as TW probably would not have lasted much longer,

especially with his injury history.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

If and it's a big IF Charles becomes the LT the Skins believe he can, they basically won on the TW trade

I dunno. Unless Williams completely flops in his comeback, it's hard for me to imagine the 49ers not winning the trade. They get a probowl left tackle for a pittance in draft picks for a Super Bowl ready team that needed to shore up their line now. Trent is probably as plug and play as you can get especially since he even had experience in Kyle Shannahan's system.

If Charles works out then we will come out of the Williams debacle unscarred, but I we aren't the winners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I dunno. Unless Williams completely flops in his comeback, it's hard for me to imagine the 49ers not winning the trade. They get a probowl left tackle for a pittance in draft picks for a Super Bowl ready team that needed to shore up their line now. Trent is probably as plug and play as you can get especially since he even had experience in Kyle Shannahan's system.

If Charles works out then we will come out of the Williams debacle unscarred, but I we aren't the winners.

TW was a Pro Bowl left tackle in his prime.  Now he's an often injured player on the back end of his career who can barely play a full season.  Add to that, he's malcontent POS who's not worth what he thinks he is. On the surface SF looks like winners, but hopefully in time the Skins will get a very good and hungry player for themselves.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Charles' OL Coach went out of his way to praise him. Said the Skins are getting a good one.

Followed by similar praise from one of the LSU D-Linemen, who went against Charles every day. Says Charles is "athletic with an extremely powerful lower body and long arms."

Haskins twitter response to Charles after him getting drafted was also telling. It seemed unusual for a 4th rd selection. Makes me think the team has big plans for him.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

TW was a Pro Bowl left tackle in his prime.  Now he's an often injured player on the back end of his career who can barely play a full season.  Add to that, he's malcontent POS who's not worth what he thinks he is. On the surface SF looks like winners, but hopefully in time the Skins will get a very good and hungry player for themselves.

I don't disagree with all of that, but I do think we say some of it to comfort ourselves. I think he's an oft injured player who's likely to miss a few games and a malcontent, but I suspect he will still be a great player on the field. As a human off the field, he seems to have problems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Burgold said:

I don't disagree with all of that, but I do think we say some of it to comfort ourselves. I think he's an oft injured player who's likely to miss a few games and a malcontent, but I suspect he will still be a great player on the field. As a human off the field, he seems to have problems.

There's also no way to know how not playing any football for over a year has affected Trent. He hasn't taken a snap in an NFL game since December of 2018. That's quite a stretch. One one hand maybe was good for him so he could take as much time as he needed to get healthy. On the other hand, he could be out of shape, or at least not anywhere near true NFL football shape.

I think if he can stay somewhat healthy he'll likely be a solid player for them, but personally I think his "elite" days are well behind him. He's consistently had problems with injuries, and he's going to be 32 when the season rolls around. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

There's also no way to know how not playing any football for over a year has affected Trent. He hasn't taken a snap in an NFL game since December of 2018. That's quite a stretch. One one hand maybe was good for him so he could take as much time as he needed to get healthy. On the other hand, he could be out of shape, or at least not anywhere near true NFL football shape.

I think if he can stay somewhat healthy he'll likely be a solid player for them, but personally I think his "elite" days are well behind him. He's consistently had problems with injuries, and he's going to be 32 when the season rolls around. 

Besides Chase Young, another player who is probably looking forward to playing San Fran, is Reuben Foster.

• Like 1

Admittedly, I'm not @KDawg when it comes to evaluating OL.   Instead of wasting my time watching tape on Charles, I've been trying to catch some interviews in order to figure out who the guy is.  I even went on LSU message board soon after the draft to try and get more intel on why he slipped.  (My verdict from them was that they pretty much supported Saahdiq 100%, but also came off too Homer-ish on EVERY THREAD/TOPIC for me to take anyone seriously.)

According to Tigers' fans, his suspension was because of weed.  He wasn't suspended 6 games in a row... He basically seemed to only get benched against non-SEC teams.  This makes me think the big article that came out citing an "anonymous team source" was absolutely on point.  Sounds like the guy was letting down his coaches frequently and the suspension wasn't due to one incident.  

In terms of the interviews I've watched... And I hate to say this... Charles kinda reminds me of myself when I see him give certain smirks while answering.  (I'm a 35 year old partyboy who prolly coulda been Trey Quinn 1.0 if not for the latenight fiascos.)  Hopefully I'm completely wrong and he learned from his mistakes.

Last note:  When it comes to Trent... It kinda irks me when people think that a guy like TW is approaching the end of his career at 32.  My buddies and I all agree that he's got at least 4 good years left in the NFL.  If guys like Donald Penn/Jason Peters can rock it out into their near 40's, TW has a few more pro bowls in him for sure.  

Sucks we lost him the way we did, but Charles high-ceiling is nice consolation prize to look forward to.

Edited by LaRonDontLikeUgly
  • Like 2

On 5/1/2020 at 7:23 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

I've wondered about that as well. I have no idea what the hell we were with Gruden, just that we sucked.

Matter of fact, one of the first bits I remember hearing about him after his hire was a question about our run game, and whether we were gonna be man, zone, or gap.

His response (in classic Gruden-ese) "I like 'em all, man"

In a zone do linemen ever pull, like in a gap, or is just have your linemen move people and your RB picks his hole?

19 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

In a zone do linemen ever pull, like in a gap, or is just have your linemen move people and your RB picks his hole?

I'm no football savant, but I believe it's more based on lateral movement. with the lineman working in unison like a ballet, to move dlineman and open holes that way.

I dont recall any pulling action in a zbs.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:28 AM, dyst said:

I hate the “he was round X talent even though he got drafted in round Y”. Literally every year, every team thinks their draft picks are “steals”. Sometimes its true, as in Terry McLaurin but mostly it fails. 

I hate it when people don’t do their research. Him and Cush were our best olinemen. 

Here’s just a random google search I did that backs the 2nd/3rd round claim:

https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/player/saadiq-charles/34776/

I was hoping we would get him or Cush and we did. We will have three starters on O from LSU this season. I am pumped. 

I have to say, I think LSU wins the award in recent memory for having linemen who sound like wimps or teddy bears, but could probably kill me.  I mean Lloyd Cushenberry III?  You mean that's not a rower at Yale following Daddy into big law?  And he could tear my arm off and beat me senseless with it?

This of course, is still a far second place, behind the glorious name of T-Bob Hebert.  I don't even know what to do with that one.

• Haha 1