Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Saahdiq Charles, OT LSU

zCommander

14 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

What is considered ideal arms for a LT? 33 in. wingspan seems good. 

33 inches isn't horrible, but it's generally on the low end of what teams tend to look for in a Tackle IIRC. Usually an ideal is at least 34+. 

Clearly it's not a deal breaker or anything as there are certainly much more important attributes. As I mentioned, it just gives a guy an extra advantage when it comes to getting his hands into a pass rusher's pads early, especially when going against an edge guy who's more the long and rangy type. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

When they asked him if he was excited to learn from going against our Dline in practice, he really say that he'd be the one doing the teaching? :ols:

If so, RIP.

Gonna be seeing stars in training camp practices.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If he wasn't a 20 yo with a back ground of being problematically childish, it wouldn't have caught me, but this kids about to learn.

I remember Lache Seastrunk talking a lot when we drafted him as well (same immature label).

Did dude even make it out of the summer? Was like he never even existed at all :ols:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan212689 said:

What is considered ideal arms for a LT? 33 in. wingspan seems good. 

33 inches doesn't worry me much.  Mitchell Schwartz, Bryan Bulaga and Joe Staley all have ~33 inch arms and have been some of the best tackles in the league over the past decade.  You do need excellent technique though to account for the length disadvantage.  Charles is likely going to need at least a year to develop that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I remember Lache Seastrunk talking a lot when we drafted him as well (same immature label).

Did dude even make it out of the summer? Was like he never even existed at all :ols:

Our long run of unremarkable RBs that the FO and idiot coaching staff was holding back.  :ols: 

He was an impressive one.

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

When they asked him if he was excited to learn from going against our Dline in practice, he really say that he'd be the one doing the teaching? :ols:

Love that attitude.  

"I play ball man." 

Hey you gotta be a little bit ****y, to play LT.

LT ain't for the faint of heart.

He's up for the challenge. And sure he'll be humbled at times goin against that DL, but I'm confident he'll grow from it.

And I really, all he said basically was that he would do things "they havn't seen before"

That may entirely be true, and not at all an extreme statement

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/scarnecchia-offensive-tackle-arm-length-expletive-way-overrated%3famp

Here is Dante Scarnecchia on what he thinks about arm length. For my money he’s one of the best in getting the most out of his guys.

There have been really good tackles with Less than 34 inch arms. Ie.. Joe Thomas. 

https://www.pff.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play 

analysis by pff on arm length, a while back.

Excited to see what this kid can bring to the table.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/scarnecchia-offensive-tackle-arm-length-expletive-way-overrated%3famp

Here is Dante Scarnecchia on what he thinks about arm length. For my money he’s one of the best in getting the most out of his guys.

Just one minor correction you may not be aware of ; he retired this past January, so it would be more accurate to say he was one of the best

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

There have been really good tackles with Less than 34 inch arms. Ie.. Joe Thomas. 

https://www.pff.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play 

analysis by pff on arm length, a while back.

Excited to see what this kid can bring to the table.

And that is entirely consistent with what's been said about arm length so far in this thread. It certainly isn't a deal breaker, but it does generally mean that a guy needs to have more refined technique to made up for it. Joe Thomas was one of the most sound technical Tackles I've ever seen coming out and continued in that vein in the NFL. Charles can get there but I think we'll need to be patient with him before he's ready to step into the LT role. I'd agree with what @HTTRDynastysaid earlier...I'd give him at least a year to develop his technique. 

Which is fine. He's only 20 years old and was a 4th round pick. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If he wasn't a 20 yo with a back ground of being problematically childish, it wouldn't have caught me, but this kids about to learn.

Cant come into the NFL with a beta personality and think you're going to be great. I want him to bring that confidence and attitude into the season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

33 inches isn't horrible, but it's generally on the low end of what teams tend to look for in a Tackle IIRC. Usually an ideal is at least 34+. 

Clearly it's not a deal breaker or anything as there are certainly much more important attributes. As I mentioned, it just gives a guy an extra advantage when it comes to getting his hands into a pass rusher's pads early, especially when going against an edge guy who's more the long and rangy type. 

He already has the athletic traits to mirror in pass rush, but if he’s going to mitigate his reach imo he has to develop a strong enough core to absorb contact, and a punch that can knock pass rushers off kilter. 

9 hours ago, 09 said:

Love that attitude.  

"I play ball man." 

6 hours ago, RawRebel said:

Cant come into the NFL with a beta personality and think you're going to be great. I want him to bring that confidence and attitude into the season.

I hope y'all are right, but he blew off playing against Payne already and dismissed learning from one of the leagues most talented fronts, when his biggest question mark is will he learn from his mistakes. 

I mean, we'll see. Hopefully he makes it at LG and is an improvement for us.

You never know until they step on the field.  Skins had high hopes for Gerod Christianson and he hasn't panned out yet.  If a 4th round pick eventually becomes a sold starter anywhere on the OL then I consider it a victory.  LT would be a home run.  RT an A (Scherff failed) and G a commendable victory.

• Confused 1

So Charles retains #77

Oddly he is the only player listed on the teams official website without a designated position. Everyone else has. I can find a story out of nothing. :ols:

Still like the odds of him starting at LG alongside a veteran LT acquisition.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

20 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I have watched it a couple of days ago but I think that he said he can learn from playing against them but that he also learned a lot at LSU and also stuff that our D-line might not have seen so he can also help them get better.

I got no issue with that. I like to have someone with confidence.

• Like 1

5th rounders don’t often turn into stud LTs, so there isn’t a ton of room for optimism... I think there’s more hope for Charles than Christian fwiw. One of the biggest problems is that we lost Callahan and TW, so I don’t know who we have that will get this kid’s head on straight. 

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

5th rounders don’t often turn into stud LTs, so there isn’t a ton of room for optimism... I think there’s more hope for Charles than Christian fwiw. One of the biggest problems is that we lost Callahan and TW, so I don’t know who we have that will get this kid’s head on straight. 

Ron Rivera.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Few players end up being stud LTs, even 1st round picks.  Charles was taken with the second pick of the 4th round, BTW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CTskin said:

He was drafted in the 4th, not 5th.

Also, his talent level (which is the only thing that matters if he doesn't have off-field issues) was graded as a 2nd rounder.

The only reason he dropped to the 4th was because of disciplinary issues in college.

All signs are pointing to those issues being a thing of the past.

So, to truly gauge his future, it's more accurate to do so according to his 2nd Round grade

21 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Few players end up being stud LTs, even 1st round picks.  Charles was taken with the second pick of the 4th round, BTW.

And if Compensatory picks are not an issue, that pick would have actually been in the 3rd round.

55 minutes ago, CTskin said:

What about 5th rounders that were drafted at the top of the 4th round?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/26/2020 at 12:07 AM, veteranskinsfan said:

He looks like he could pound some dudes.  Wish Callahan was still here to be his O-line coach.   I am so glad Williams is gone.  The 49ers will not get

3 full years out of him at all.   This kid is young and has the potential to grow with this young team we have now.  I am sure Rivera is glad to get rid of a malcontent.

He is about an inch shorter and less than 10 lbs lighter than TW.  Im sure they can get matching strength before the  season to hold his own at this level.  TW went vegan and looks soft IMO.  This kid looks like he eats vegans. His demeanor and body language shows signs of being an immature thug.  That can be a good thing if he can focus on ball and stay away from weed.  you dont need to be the sharpest tool in the shed to protect the blindside.   Obviously TW has proven that. 

Skins cant expect to win until the OLine can hold sacks down into at least 37 or less per season.  Last year  they had 50 vs 44 the year before.  It took TW and the 2010 Skins OLine 3 seasons to get it together.  If the kid gets the gig at LT he likely plays 50-50 on any given Sunday.  Thats completely ok IMO.