Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Saahdiq Charles, OT LSU

zCommander

1 hour ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

This probably belongs in the FA thread but I recommend taking advantage of the free NFL game pass right now. You can watch condensed games (25-30 mins long) or all 22.  It is a great way to watch individual players without the anger and disappointment of the season to cloud your judgement.  

Also, and why I mention it here, I am going to watch the Bears to get a handle of Lucas. He played 100% of the OFF snaps in 6 games last year (weeks 3, 13, 14, 15, 16 & 17). Week 3 was against the Skins and I think he matched up with Kerrigan a lot and didn't give up a sack and had a pretty good game. 

We we may already have our starter for next year and not need to worry about Penn/Peters.

How do you watch that

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Why would Jason Peters want to play here?  We’ve been the joke of the NFCE throughout his career, and I suspect what he’s really seeking is a legitimate chance to win the SB before he retires after being on IR when the Eagles won theirs. 

we have spoken to Peters prior to the draft. Same agent as Trent is an issue. But still, we have held discussions with Peters.

2 hours ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

We we may already have our starter for next year and not need to worry about Penn/Peters.

I do advocate a move for Peters....but I have said Lucas is a pretty solid player and could easily be expected to start. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

we have spoken to Peters prior to the draft. Same agent as Trent is an issue. But still, we have held discussions with Peters.

I do advocate a move for Peters....but I have said Lucas is a pretty solid player and could easily be expected to start. 

The odd thing with Lucas is why did he sign a deal for such a low AAV? You would think great backups at the LT spot would get a bit more

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, sure but what’s the rush? They’re not going to practice for a month or two and everybody who needs a tackle has one for now.  I would actually prefer to only sign one of them if it turns out we can’t go young.  In an ideal world we play the young guys because we think they can play and to get them experience.  Having Penn start 10 games this year doesn’t help 2021 or beyond in any way. 

The rush is because they may not be there by the time the Redskins have concluded that the rookie isn't ready or can't play. At that point other teams may have come to that conclusion on their players, or get an injury early in camp, and the vets are no longer an option.

If Charles can play then Penn can be a really good backup, something they do not currently have, and the rookie develops. If they find out the rookie isn't nearly ready and they miss on one of the 2 vets then you have Christian or some other warm body protecting the blind side of a young QB they are trying to develop. They have the cap space, seems like a good use of some of it.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

On 4/25/2020 at 1:14 PM, pcbothwel said:

Big fan of that attitude. Add in his feet and nastiness. Im in

Yeah, some strength/anchor issue, but he is only 20 and that should come in time.

in three years he has a real shot at his 2nd contract taking care of him for the rest of his life

On 4/26/2020 at 12:43 AM, Burgold said:

The one thing about Charles I think I like is he seems to have owned his mistakes.That usually bodes well.

Feel the same. Listening to his interview on 980, seems sincere. Seems smart. Very young. I think this could be THE pick that really comes through for us (other than #2 obviously)...

One of my favorite LT's in the draft as a player, the reports of him immaturity though made me pause.  But in the 4th rounder what the heck?  Quick feet, good pass protector, good run blocker, too, consistent. Played well against Alabama. I knew PFF didn't like him.  I mostly disagree with them.  But here's their take.

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 7.46.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 7.47.09 AM.png

Yeah, he's not an answer for this year but kinda what you want, talented but dropped due to knuckleheadedness that comes with being 20. "Growing up" NFL style under Rivera & Co. ought to do this kid a world of good. 

But we still need some answer @ LT for this year

15 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I would certainly feel better with Peters than Lucas who is the definition of a journeyman.  Maybe the guy who played in Chicago is the new Lucas, maybe he really did improve that much.  But I'm not so sure.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The rush is because they may not be there by the time the Redskins have concluded that the rookie isn't ready or can't play. At that point other teams may have come to that conclusion on their players, or get an injury early in camp, and the vets are no longer an option.

My guess is they will be available at least through the first week of training camp.  Penn was available well into TC last year.  I think we picked him up in week 2 or 3 if memory serves.

Shrug.  I would prefer to give the young guys all the reps in whatever practice exists, and then sign the vet if they need to.  Also, with Penn, there is a good relationship there, you can probably tell him to let you know if he's getting close with somebody else, he probably will.  That happens all the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I would certainly feel better with Peters than Lucas who is the definition of a journeyman.  Maybe the guy who played in Chicago is the new Lucas, maybe he really did improve that much.  But I'm not so sure.  

Hard to argue with 1 sack and zero penalties in over 500 snaps.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Yeah, he's not an answer for this year but kinda what you want, talented but dropped due to knuckleheadedness that comes with being 20. "Growing up" NFL style under Rivera & Co. ought to do this kid a world of good. 

But we still need some answer @ LT for this year

I don't see any reason why he cannot start this year.

If you're looking at him based on football talent alone ; then he's a 2nd Rounder.

He only slipped due to off-the-field issues. And there's no guarantee those things become an issue in the NFL.

If they don't, then his 4th round status becomes irrelevant, and based on talent on the field, I see no reason why a 2nd Round-Level OT cannot start in his first year.

He certainly has the skills to do it. He is not Geron Christian.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Thanks 1

Wow, that PFF write-up is unflattering!  His bio on NFL.com isn't a whole lot better so, it's hard to imagine he was a Rd-2 talent before the "troubles".  Like most rookie linemen, he needs to spend a year in the weight room building muscle and mass and learning to be a pro.  If we seem him get regular season snaps this year, we're probably in trouble...

I'm curious if he'd be better suited moving inside at the next level. He doesn't exactly have ideal length for the position. 33 inch wingspan is a bit small for an NFL LT. Not that it can't be done but it does give him a bit of a disadvantage. 

51 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm curious if he'd be better suited moving inside at the next level. He doesn't exactly have ideal length for the position. 33 inch wingspan is a bit small for an NFL LT. Not that it can't be done but it does give him a bit of a disadvantage. 

What is considered ideal arms for a LT? 33 in. wingspan seems good.