Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Saahdiq Charles, OT LSU


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Why would Jason Peters want to play here?  We’ve been the joke of the NFCE throughout his career, and I suspect what he’s really seeking is a legitimate chance to win the SB before he retires after being on IR when the Eagles won theirs. 

 

Likes playing football and likes $$?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

 

Likes playing football and likes $$?

 

He has an estimated net worth of $60mm.  

 

Based on the interviews I've seen and articles I've read about him over the years, I think he cares far more about winning than the money.  Especially at this point in his career.  

 

I think he'll sign with a contender at some point this week.  Maybe even back with Philly.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

 

He has an estimated net worth of $60mm.  

 

Based on the interviews I've seen and articles I've read about him over the years, I think he cares far more about winning than the money.  Especially at this point in his career.  

 

I think he'll sign with a contender at some point this week.  Maybe even back with Philly.

 

 

 

I agree dude he would probably love to sign with a contender and he already has a ton of money. But...how much money does Trent have and he still wanted more? Why did Donald Penn sign here? I'm sure he has plenty of money as well. 

 

If the choice is between the Skins and a contender...only a crazy person would argue the Skins are the better choice...but he may not have that choice. If he really just wants to play football then it is probably better for his to sign sooner rather than later. If he is more interested in playing just for a contender he should probably wait a little bit and see which team(s) aren't liking their OT situation for whatever reason (young player/draft pick not developing or injury etc).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

 

I agree dude he would probably love to sign with a contender and he already has a ton of money. But...how much money does Trent have and he still wanted more? Why did Donald Penn sign here? I'm sure he has plenty of money as well. 

 

If the choice is between the Skins and a contender...only a crazy person would argue the Skins are the better choice...but he may not have that choice. If he really just wants to play football then it is probably better for his to sign sooner rather than later. If he is more interested in playing just for a contender he should probably wait a little bit and see which team(s) aren't liking their OT situation for whatever reason (young player/draft pick not developing or injury etc).

 

Oh, he'll definitely have offers.  How much guaranteed money are you willing to offer him to entice him to play for us?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

 

Oh, he'll definitely have offers.  How much guaranteed money are you willing to offer him to entice him to play for us?

 

Great question. I don't have any illusions of the Skns competing this year so the only reason I would even sign Peters is if everything was going wrong at OT and we absolutely needed someone who can protect Haskins enough to give the staff a chance at a proper eval of him and the offensive players as a whole. I think/hope Lucas/Christian/Charles can do that. If not I'd look toward a Penn type first and then Peters as a last resort. 

 

To to actually answer you...it would probably take 12+ mil...and we have the room for it so I guess I could stomach 12-13 mil but I would feel much better in the 8-11 mil range.  I could be way off on these numbers...I just don't know what he would take. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, I bet after his mis-steps, Ed Orgeron gave him some serious tough love.  If there is one coach in college football you don't want to cross is Big Ed.  He probably benches more than half his team and I'm sure he eats small animals raw.  Dude is a monster.  

 

With CFP title game victory, Ed Orgeron reaches 40 wins faster ...

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

 

Looks like it was at the Combine.

 

 

Yea, now I see part of the sign behind him, lol

The timing of those comments make it more impressive.

When asked who he'd like to model himself after (as a player) he immediately singles out Trent - and that was even before Charles was drafted by the Skins.

It's something you'd expect him to say after the Skins take him, so it's impressive to see him answer that way in the context of the combine

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

 

Great question. I don't have any illusions of the Skns competing this year so the only reason I would even sign Peters is if everything was going wrong at OT and we absolutely needed someone who can protect Haskins enough to give the staff a chance at a proper eval of him and the offensive players as a whole. I think/hope Lucas/Christian/Charles can do that. If not I'd look toward a Penn type first and then Peters as a last resort. 

 

To to actually answer you...it would probably take 12+ mil...and we have the room for it so I guess I could stomach 12-13 mil but I would feel much better in the 8-11 mil range.  I could be way off on these numbers...I just don't know what he would take. 

 

I'd also look to let the young guys compete first and then sign Penn late if it looks like none of those guys can start.

 

Another road block to potentially signing Peters is the fact that he shares an agent with Trent.  I can't see either side being eager to sit down at the negotiating table any time soon.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

 

I'd also look to let the young guys compete first and then sign Penn late if it looks like none of those guys can start.

 

Another road block to potentially signing Peters is the fact that he shares an agent with Trent.  I can't see either side being eager to sit down at the negotiating table any time soon.

No to Peters for that reason.  A stopgap isn't worth dealing with that agent again.

 

I'd sign Penn today, and if everyone looks good and is healthy come last roster cut, I'd cut Moses, and go with Penn and Charles at LT, and Lucas and Christian at RT.  Get moses off the books, and give christian another season to see if he should be in the 2021 plans.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This probably belongs in the FA thread but I recommend taking advantage of the free NFL game pass right now. You can watch condensed games (25-30 mins long) or all 22.  It is a great way to watch individual players without the anger and disappointment of the season to cloud your judgement.  

 

Also, and why I mention it here, I am going to watch the Bears to get a handle of Lucas. He played 100% of the OFF snaps in 6 games last year (weeks 3, 13, 14, 15, 16 & 17). Week 3 was against the Skins and I think he matched up with Kerrigan a lot and didn't give up a sack and had a pretty good game. 

 

We we may already have our starter for next year and not need to worry about Penn/Peters.

Edited by GhostofAlvinWalton
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

“Growing up as an offensive lineman, I watched Trent’s film millions of times,” Charles said via NBC Sports Washington.

 

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/26/saahdiq-charles-familiar-with-trent-williams-film/

 

Someone needs to tell Charles he should not speak that name for awhile, we have heard it enough lately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, D’Pablo said:

Is Chris Samuels still around? He’d be a great mentor to have. I thought he was a positive presence for Trent Williams early in his career.

 

I think Samuels's sudden retirement due to spinal stenosis was the reason we took Williams that year.  I don't think there was an overlap there unless I'm forgetting about Samuels being on the sidelines at some point.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would certainly feel a lot more comfortable signing Penn or Peters soon.  They may not be able to wait to see how Charles looks, they will be gone by then.  If the rookie pans out now the finally have depth at the position, something that is non-existent now.  Vets looking for a ring at the end seems to be more of  an NBA thing, in the NFL we see AP and Penn coming here, other older vets signing with bad teams all the time.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I would certainly feel a lot more comfortable signing Penn or Peters soon.  They may not be able to wait to see how Charles looks, they will be gone by then.  If the rookie pans out now the finally have depth at the position, something that is non-existent now.  Vets looking for a ring at the end seems to be more of  an NBA thing, in the NFL we see AP and Penn coming here, other older vets signing with bad teams all the time.  

I mean, sure but what’s the rush? They’re not going to practice for a month or two and everybody who needs a tackle has one for now.  I would actually prefer to only sign one of them if it turns out we can’t go young.  In an ideal world we play the young guys because we think they can play and to get them experience.  Having Penn start 10 games this year doesn’t help 2021 or beyond in any way. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...