Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Saahdiq Charles, OT LSU

zCommander

39 minutes ago, kvarlo12000 said:

pretty sure he smoked pot, that is why he got suspended.  LSU is one of the only schools to even test athletes for pot now days.  I am an LSU homer so I am a bit biased but I love this pick.

That was immediately my take and with the new CBA this won't even be an issue if this is the case. Regardless this isn't Pac Man Jones, he apparently had exactly one off the field issue and that's not much of a pattern.  I love this pick, he's better than Christian right now.  Someone also posted another of my thoughts, going against these DEs in practice will make him better faster.  

Or Chase could destroy him leaving him in his dorm room curled in the fetal position. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

So we get rid of one trouble maker LT and then draft another.  Sweet.

In all fairness, we handled Trent about as badly as you possibly could, save him dying.  These aren't Boy Scouts, I support this.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Think about our previous and recent 4th Rounders, and what a reach and risk they were.

Charles seems like more a of sure thing than them

Bryce Love

Troy Apke

Montae Nicholson

let's not forget SAMAJE PERINE! 

I was waiting for the 4th rd blow up, perhaps we got it right this time??? 

• Haha 1

On the Field I love this guy. Playing LT in the SEC is not for the faint of heart, especially at the level at which he performed. Ranked as a Top 70 overall player by most.

Off the Field he has had his issues but he’s 20 years old. God knows we all made mistakes at his age. Our coaches and our veterans will lead the way.

Psyched to have him! Welcome to the squad big fella!

Edited by redrobert
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Listening to Rivera’s comment, I think initially Charles may get reps at LG too.

Sign Peters, play Charles inside him for a season or two. Don’t discount it.

When I watch Charles he looks like a guy who could kick inside and be a very good NFL guard to me. He has shorter arms than you’d ideally want in an OT. He’s going to get an opportunity in camp at LT though (and right now he only has Geron Christian to beat out so I like his chances!) and going up against Young, Sweat and Kerrigan we will find out quickly if he can play or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Listening to Rivera’s comment, I think initially Charles may get reps at LG too.

Sign Peters, play Charles inside him for a season or two. Don’t discount it.

25 minutes ago, MartinC said:

When I watch Charles he looks like a guy who could kick inside and be a very good NFL guard to me. He has shorter arms than you’d ideally want in an OT. He’s going to get an opportunity in camp at LT though (and right now he only has Geron Christian to beat out so I like his chances!) and going up against Young, Sweat and Kerrigan we will find out quickly if he can play or not.

I think, as of this moment, he'd be our starting LT. 

I'm not sure he's better than Wes Martin for the LG spot. But if we sign Peters, which we should, Charles would be a candidate to be the backup LT for a year or, if he proves to be versatile, he'll start at RT. I have no idea if he can do that or not. But if he can move over he is definitely, 100%, an upgrade to Morgan Moses.

Charles is a versatile player, so he can play guard or tackle. I'm just curious about how he'll transition to the right side in the NFL. 

I could see a scenario where he transitions well and in 2020 our line (left to right) is:

Peters, Martin, Roullier, Scherff, Charles

In 2021:

Rookie LT, Martin, Ismael, Scherff, Charles

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

In 2021:

Rookie LT, Martin, Ismael, Scherff, Charles

honestly, that is also something I was considering. That is more than plausible too.

Edit - I’ll add that i think Lucas is probably our starting LT at the moment.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

This is what I’m thinking. I know he’ll get some reps at LT and, frankly, I think the whole team is going to have to earn their positions so it may be possible he can win the role for starting LT. But my money’s on Geron Christian this season. Like you, I think Saahdiq should make an excellent guard because of his physical traits as you have noted. Frankly, if no long-term deal is made with Sherff, I think Saahdiq could be his replacement in 2021. So, my question is: does the team force him into the tackle position where he may never be better than average? Or, does the team play to his natural traits and make him an excellent guard?

1 minute ago, JaxJoe said:

This is what I’m thinking. I know he’ll get some reps at LT and, frankly, I think the whole team is going to have to earn their positions so it may be possible he can win the role for starting LT. But my money’s on Geron Christian this season. Like you, I think Saahdiq should make an excellent guard because of his physical traits as you have noted. Frankly, if no long-term deal is made with Sherff, I think Saahdiq could be his replacement in 2021. So, my question is: does the team force him into the tackle position where he may never be better than average? Or, does the team play to his natural traits and make him an excellent guard?

I think everyone knows what Christian is at this point so I think they really hope he can stay at LT.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

. So, my question is: does the team force him into the tackle position where he may never be better than average? Or, does the team play to his natural traits and make him an excellent guard?

Based on our history with our top 5 pick Scherrf, I think we would do the right thing and put Charles in the best position to succeed.

That said, I think an older, stronger Charles is our starting OT by 2022.

• Like 1

This guy is gonna have to go up against maybe the best DL in football every day in practice. He’s going to get a trial by fire and I really think they will make him a lot better in a hurry. I’m excited about his potential if he can keep his head on straight 

Edited by Lovi
Spelling
  • Like 1

Ezra Cleveland has 33.38 in arms and I haven't heard anyone suggest he is better off at G.  Bakhtiari has 34 in arms and is a 3x pro bowler. I know arm length is defenitly a factor but if he can move his feet and get strong enough the only thing his arms will do is possibly keep him from being elite at OT. He can still be very productive as an OT with 33 in arms. We have been spoiled with having Trent and Samuels. There are plenty of playoff teams that don't have elite OT play. 

@JaxJoe is absolutely correct...everyone on that OL is going to have to earn their spot. Obviously Brandon, Chase, & Morgan have the advantage but I wouldn't be shocked if Chase or Morgan were surpassed at some point during the season...or sooner.

• Like 1

This seemed like a pretty fair assessment:

Pass Sets - He's really smooth and light on his feet. Has little issue extending his pass sets into space to greet quick footed rushers. He favors hops to anchor and bend himself to avoid being walked back into his quarterback. Mirror skills and suddenness to redirect are highly effective and offer him a great foundation. 

Length/Extension - Would like to see him have a little more trust in his reach, he's often overextended and plays out over top of his toes — which stresses his base and puts him into recovery mode more often than he should. Anatomically speaking, he's got reach to have success on the edge. 

Balance - His natural balance is apparent when you watch him in space. Really like how dynamic his lower half is when he's forced into recovery mode as well. He'll get knocked around a bit due to strike timing and core strength — some sloppiness in keeping himself tethered makes life harder than it needs to be. 

Hand Technique - He can be premature with his throw and because he's overreaching there are times he robs himself of some of his natural punch power. Would like to see a stiffer initial pop to really jolt defenders. Needs more assertiveness to work his hands inside and not settle on a mediocre hand fit. 

Power at POA - He's a smooth athlete and has the ability to mirror feet and roll hips through contact for big push. That said, he's still pretty light in the trunk and his ability to road grade defenders is a work in progress. Definitely has the functional athleticism to be a big asset in power run but currently better suited for zone. 

Football IQ - Laundry list of little things that he can add more polish to. The good news? He's not a total rework from the ground up, I like his feet a lot and think he shows good spatial awareness when under assault from blitzers and stunts as well. Get the hands right and create trust in his punch power and reach and he'll be set. 

Functional Athleticism - Terrific natural athlete. Question begs to be asked what mobility could be compromised by bulking him up but he's highly fluid and shows excellent short area mobility to drive, attack and mirror in space. Successful second level climber as well. Comfortable chasing the rabbit on an island. 

Anchor Ability - Needs to add more mass. He's very lean built and while he does offer a barrel chest, his torso and lower half are going to need more muscle if he's going to hold up against speed to power. Ineffective anchors are complicated due to his punch timing and lapses in posture that compromise his power. 

Flexibility - Little issue hinging and opening his hips to greet rushers or flip inside to wash and carry inside counters. His hip drop and knee bend is excellent to work himself under rushers when locking horns on the edge and his base is strong to catch his momentum and drive him against the grain as needed.

Competitive Toughness - Simply needs to get stronger. Appreciate his scrappy play and when he's got a firm fit he's hard to discard because he's so smooth with moving his feet and pressing the issue. He's not a power player but he's got plenty of explosiveness as his disposal that needs to be properly harnessed. 

---

Best Trait - Functional Athleticism

Worst Trait - Anchor Ability

Best Film - Georgia (2019)

Worst Film - Alabama (2019)

Red Flags - 2019 suspension (undisclosed)

Summary - Saahdiq Charles projects as a potential starting left tackle at the NFL level. He has high end physical tools, functional athleticism and build at his disposal — offering ample foundation to build upon. Charles will need to fill out his frame and add some additional functional strength in order to hold up consistently at the NFL level, and his off-field status is filled with question marks due to disciplinary measures. Charles should be considered a high ceiling, low floor prospect. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/saahdiq-charles/voQWo2GTZm

• Like 4