Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Saahdiq Charles, OT LSU

zCommander

8 hours ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

Last note:  When it comes to Trent... It kinda irks me when people think that a guy like TW is approaching the end of his career at 32.  My buddies and I all agree that he's got at least 4 good years left in the NFL.  If guys like Donald Penn/Jason Peters can rock it out into their near 40's, TW has a few more pro bowls in him for sure.  

Sorry but Trent's career isn't nearly on the level of Peters. Peters is a sure-fire 1st ballot HoFer who's a 6 time All-Pro. Penn has always been a good Tackle, but IMO never near the Peters echelon either. Peters also hasn't been an All-Pro for 6 years...since he was 32. Given how many snaps they take and how much wear and tear they get, I don't think it's a stretch to believe that most Tackles start to decline a decent amount in their early 30s. There's a reason that Joe Thomas, who's at least as good as Peters and is another sure-fire first ballot HoFer, decided to call it quits at 33.

I don't think Trent is necessarily approaching the "end" of his career...that's up to him and how much punishment he can take and how he feels about his overall health for the future. But I think it's likely fair to say that he's at the age where he won't be playing at an elite or All-Pro level. It would have been nice to keep him for at least another couple of years until we were pretty sure we had his replacement, but that ship sailed a long time ago and he wasn't worth the headache anyway after the way he acted. 

Maybe he'll get into another Pro Bowl or two, but I don't really put all that much stock in those when compared to All-Pro, as Pro Bowls are at least half popularity contest. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Sorry but Trent's career isn't nearly on the level of Peters. Peters is a sure-fire 1st ballot HoFer who's a 6 time All-Pro. Penn has always been a good Tackle, but IMO never near the Peters echelon either. Peters also hasn't been an All-Pro for 6 years...since he was 32. 

Trent has most definitely been in the same echelon as peters in terms of elite performance. 

He just hasn't had the longevity yet. That remains to be seen. 

I think he screwed over the redskins so I don't really wish him well, but Id wager he plays at an elite level for at least a couple more years. That is just a guess on my part considering supremely talented tackles and their propensity to play for a long time. I also think the time off has given him time he needed to fully recover from lingering injuries and he'll be motivated to get the next big paycheck. 

We can only hope Charles turns into the solution at left tackle. That'd be a really big help for the redskins. 

I didn't watch the end of last season too intently, so I can't say much on Christian's performance but I know he looked like he was a waste of a prospect early on. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I think he screwed over the redskins so I don't really wish him well, but Id wager he plays at an elite level for at least a couple more years. That is just a guess on my part considering supremely talented tackles and their propensity to play for a long time. I also think the time off has given him time he needed to fully recover from lingering injuries and he'll be motivated to get the next big paycheck.

I've seen this script many times. Here's the only 2 outcomes.

1. The 49ers benefit from Williams having a monster year; he avoids injury and comes back to play at a higher level; demonstrates he's a team player.

Some team will sign him to a 5-6 year monster contract..... and regrets it 2 years in.

2. He gets injured. Flops out on his addition. And then signs a 1-year contract at a significantly reduced salary as essentially another 'contract' year. And at this point, he'll quit/retire.

- When ego gets involved..... things usually accelerate downhill quickly.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Trent has most definitely been in the same echelon as peters in terms of elite performance. 

He just hasn't had the longevity yet. That remains to be seen. 

We can only hope Charles turns into the solution at left tackle. That'd be a really big help for the redskins. 

I didn't watch the end of last season too intently, so I can't say much on Christian's performance but I know he looked like he was a waste of a prospect early on. 

I guess we'll just have to disagree with each other, and you with the AP and other sports orgs that choose the All-Pro lists. Trent will probably have a shot some day of being in the HoF, but I doubt you'd find many coaches or analysts who disagree that Peters will be there as soon as he's eligible. 6 All-Pro nods by the age of 32 is a bit better than 1 by the same age. 

As far as Christian he actually had a pretty good pass blocking grade, but his run blocking grade was poor. Which is similar to issues he had in college. He needs to increase his strength and run blocking technique. If he can do that he can probably be a pretty good player for us. 

4 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

I hate it when people don’t do their research. Him and Cush were our best olinemen. 

Here’s just a random google search I did that backs the 2nd/3rd round claim:

https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/player/saadiq-charles/34776/

I was hoping we would get him or Cush and we did. We will have three starters on O from LSU this season. I am pumped. 

It is a dumb argument that comes to fruition once in a while but more times than not it doesn’t happen. Like throwing spaghetti up against a wall hoping it sticks. 

He is not a 2nd round talent. If he was, he would have gone in the 2nd round. He may turn  out to be extremely talented and then one could go back and say “he should have been drafted earlier“ but it is what it is.

It just sounds funny because when you go to any teams forum you’re likely to see posts proclaiming how great their draft was and how they landed the exact guy they wanted with several “steals” of the draft.

Almost as silly as the “player would have been drafted higher if not for the depth in this years draft” discussion.

Yep, I would be the most handsome man alive if it wasn't for all these other men who are more handsome.

Trey Quinn would have been drafted earlier if he was the only receiver in the draft.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

23 minutes ago, dyst said:

He is not a 2nd round talent. If he was, he would have gone in the 2nd round. He may turn  out to be extremely talented and then one could go back and say “he should have been drafted earlier“ but it is what it is.

what happens if you have 50 prospects entering the draft as 2nd round talents. Or are talents limited to the number of picks per round? Or are the last 18 no longer that talented because they slip back into the third or fourth round? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

what happens if you have 50 prospects entering the draft as 2nd round talents. Or are talents limited to the number of picks per round? Or are the last 18 no longer that talented because they slip back into the third or fourth round? 

God took care of this by only crafting exactly 32 2nd round talents in any given calendar year 😁

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

In that case, those 18 would go in the 3rd round. Charles, went in the 4th. If scouts really felt this guy was a 2nd rounder he wouldn’t last all the way to the 4th. Despite what I am saying, I really hope this guy outplays his draft position.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dyst said:

In that case, those 18 would go in the 3rd round. Charles, went in the 4th. If scouts really felt this guy was a 2nd rounder he wouldn’t last all the way to the 4th. Despite what I am saying, I really hope this guy outplays his draft position.

Not necessarily. Besides, it's kind of a silly point. Every year, scouts get it wrong and great players go undrafted, or are drafted in the 7th, 6th, 5th, or even 4th rounds. After all, Joe Montana was drafted at the end of the third round. Do you suppose no one had a first round grade on him at any point in his career?

Joe Jacoby went undrafted. Pretty sure he was a first round talent (and damn well should be in the Hall of Fame) Think any GMs regretted not picking him up in the fifteen rounds of the draft that they held back then?

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 3:54 PM, dyst said:

It is a dumb argument that comes to fruition once in a while but more times than not it doesn’t happen. Like throwing spaghetti up against a wall hoping it sticks. 

It just sounds funny because when you go to any teams forum you’re likely to see posts proclaiming how great their draft was and how they landed the exact guy they wanted with several “steals” of the draft.

Almost as silly as the “player would have been drafted higher if not for the depth in this years draft” discussion.

Yep, I would be the most handsome man alive if it wasn't for all these other men who are more handsome.

Trey Quinn would have been drafted earlier if he was the only receiver in the draft.

Guice was a first round talent was he not? There have been plenty of examples where individuals fail due to character concerns, rumors, etc. Are we really having this argument? It happens every.single.year. Antonio Bryant was a first round talent that fell. I mean there are countless examples of individuals that fell due to character concerns. 

1 hour ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Guice was a first round talent was he not? There have been plenty of examples where individuals fail due to character concerns, rumors, etc. Are we really having this argument? It happens every.single.year. Antonio Bryant was a first round talent that fell. I mean there are countless examples of individuals that fell due to character concerns. 

The way Guice’s career has gone, he should have been drafted in the 7th round.

We had people on here claiming Guice is better than Barkley pre draft, simply because we had no shot at Barkley. Everyone thinks their draft picks are super duper.

4 hours ago, dyst said:

We had people on here claiming Guice is better than Barkley pre draft, simply because we had no shot at Barkley. Everyone thinks their draft picks are super duper.

If you really want to try and keep the homers in check who love every draft pick, I mean I get it, but I don't know if it's that helpful of a service.  Would your draft assessment amount to totaling up the value chart numbers in a spreadsheet and sorting by that column and whichever team bubbles to the top had the best draft, because guys just are just always a reflection where they were drafted?  I'd much rather hear why, for example, you think Charles, or anyone else we took, was properly available where we took them.

I mean, the purpose of building through the draft is attempting to beat the league average on any given pick, if you don't believe in that or something, why even discuss the picks? 

• Like 3

On 5/4/2020 at 12:54 PM, dyst said:

While I think that oftentimes people hype up their own teams draft picks, or us fans talk ourselves into a player we weren't fond of it's hard to tell if this is a case of that or not with Charles. Character concerns and medical red flags without fail cause players to drop. A player's character is probably the strongest indication of success in the NFL. A rather extreme example that is Dallas' own La'el Collins, if my memory serves me correctly, he was linked to some double homicide, and this scared teams off completely. He's a talent that fell hard because his character was in question, much like how Charles' character is considered questionable. His case was obviously less severe, so there was less of a drop. 

Saahdiq to me is a unique player, very light on his feet due to his prior history of being a soccer stud. I think maybe he was drafted a round late at most due to his off-field concerns. Anybody who views him as a lateral replacement for Trent Williams is just underestimating how good Trent was. Fans will be fans though, I miss that hope I had for this team in the mid-2000s, some people still kept it or are just super optimistic by nature. 

In the end, I think people buy into the media too much and what other draft guys are saying about draft prospects. You have to take everything with a grain of salt because all it takes is one team to like someone and can look past some weak areas in a player's game. Player interviews are absolute key, and to me is probably just as important as the film, but we're oftentimes left in the dark for these until after the fact. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, dyst said:

But... he was drafted where he was drafted! And where you're drafted is your value!

JaMarcus Russell had a best player in the draft value, too, and that is exactly where he belonged!

/eyeroll

15 hours ago, dyst said:

I mean guice as a talent is phenomenal, his problem is availability 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bifflog said:

If you really want to try and keep the homers in check who love every draft pick, I mean I get it, but I don't know if it's that helpful of a service.

honestly, that made me laugh. Great opening to a post .:ols:

On 5/4/2020 at 11:31 PM, dyst said:

In that case, those 18 would go in the 3rd round. Charles, went in the 4th. If scouts really felt this guy was a 2nd rounder he wouldn’t last all the way to the 4th.

all the way to the, erm, 2nd pick in the 4th.

you’re point really seems misguided here. Arguing for the sake of it to be honest.

I have no particular qualifications as a talent evaluator, but I did record all our preseason games last season and watched Geron Christian very closely on every play, in slow motion, because I very much wanted to see if we had anything at all in him. He was really, really terrible. Weak and confused. Definitely run blocking, but pass blocking, also.

Maybe he spent the pandemic lifting buckets of concrete like Chase and has put it all put it all together, but from my perspective--moderately informed fan paying very close attention--that's highly unlikely. (Charles seems to have orders of magnitude more promise at this point.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Romberjo said:

I have no particular qualifications as a talent evaluator, but I did record all our preseason games last season and watched Geron Christian very closely on every play, in slow motion, because I very much wanted to see if we had anything at all in him.

You might be a better talent evaluator than you think.  I’m not sure how some people consider themselves qualified?  To me it would be hinged upon how many blue chip players you selected.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

you’re point really seems misguided here. Arguing for the sake of it to be honest.

No, I don't argue for the sake of arguing. I have my opinion and other people have theirs.

45 minutes ago, dyst said:

No, I don't argue for the sake of arguing. I have my opinion and other people have theirs.

You are, right now, arguing for the sake of arguing about arguing for the sake of arguing.

• Haha 5

"The whole is greater than the sum of the parts". Need to use the phrase 1st round.....2nd round football player instead of .....talent because talent is indeed just a part of the whole. The only one that gets to put that round title on him/them is the team that drafted them. Period. I have hope for Saahdiq but he was picked exactly where he was supposed to be. As far a getting a steal a lot of thieves past on him.