Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Saahdiq Charles, OT LSU

zCommander

When he filled in for injured starters in Chicago, Lucas was never considered a disaster.

And he's also a swing Tackle.

So I'd be okay with Lucas starting the first several games at LT, if need be, until Charles is ready.

I honestly believe Charles will be able to start, no later than mid-season.

Then at RT, let Christian battle with Moses, to start with.

Then around mid-season, when Charles is ready at LT, if neither Christian nor Moses have been convincing enough at RT, maybe Lucas could win that job.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ESPNU has been replaying a lot of LSU games from last year the last couple of days. I’ve been watching to check out Saahdiq Charles and Thad Moss. 

I came away puzzled with how Charles fell so far even with the behavior issues in college. The guy’s foot quickness is amazing. He locks on the block well. And he’s nasty at time. He need to add some strength but I expect that to be a fairly easy ask now that he’s a pro athlete. I love this pick and expect him to take control of the starting LT spot right away. Can’t wait to see him and Chase Young go a few rounds in practice. Hope they make each other better. 

As far as Thad Moss I do not see a traditional TE. I see an H-Back which he could excel at but I do no expect him to fill in for J Reed. I see more of a Chris Cooley role with Moss. 

Hail!

Edited by skinsfan212689
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really like S. Charles as well. He’s got great footwork, lateral agility, and a strong anchor. The main thing he needs to work on is hand technique and creating a more active neural connection that marries his hands with his feet better. I was kind of hard on him for his hand placement after reading Bullocks piece in the Athletic, but while he does have a point about it, I wonder if he follows Joe Thomas’ technique of one hand at the opponents pec and the other on the bicep to harness the off-angle leverage and sliding action that naturally happens during a rep. Which makes sense because rarely are you perfectly squared up against an edge defender as they attack off the line. I do wish he had a better punch though and looked to attack with more controlled aggression on run plays. But, I do like the chemistry he has with Moss already and hope that continues for us. The dude definitely has potential. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, skinsfan212689 said:

I love this pick and expect him to take control of the starting LT spot right away. Can’t wait to see him and Chase Young go a few rounds in practice. Hope they make each other better. 

I also see this as being true. And I hope it means good things about Charles more than it's an indictment against our current LT's. Charles starting and playing at a high level would be one of the best things that could happen to this team, other than Haskins being a major success and the defense playing up to its potential. If Charles hits, we have another mid-round steal, like McLaurin. Getting a true WR1 in the 3rd and LT in the 4th would be a major coup in terms of freeing up future draft and cap/FA resources. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Puddin?  Our new LT's nickname is Puddin?

His grandma called him that.

His grandma just passed. 

He may come to this forum and read what is said about him on the thread bearing his name. I know I would if I had just signed with a new team.

Would you really want him to read what you wrote? Especially now while he is mourning?

I know you meant no ill will and it is easy to forget that we are talking about human beings with feelings-- but we are.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

His grandma called him that.

His grandma just passed. 

He may come to this forum and read what is said about him on the thread bearing his name. I know I would if I had just signed with a new team.

Would you really want him to read what you wrote? Especially now while he is mourning?

I know you meant no ill will and it is easy to forget that we are talking about human beings with feelings-- but we are.

Your point taken and I apologize to Mr. Charles.  I actually think his putting it out there in respecting and recognizing his grandmother is a positive. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Charles is a freak, this dude is built like Tyron Smith from Dallas. I said it the moment we drafted him that he was going to be a steal, but I have a feeling he'll be our best lineman by the end of the season. 

Look at his calves they are so much bigger than Moses's.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Charles is a freak, this dude is built like Tyron Smith from Dallas. I said it the moment we drafted him that he was going to be a steal, but I have a feeling he'll be our best lineman by the end of the season. 

I mean, is that really saying a lot?

6 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Look at his calves they are so much bigger than Moses's.

They're huge, he's got an all-pro LG type body. If he can put it all together he's going to be special. I think soccer was his first love, I can only imagine that sport to be extremely helpful when it comes to footwork in an offensive lineman. 

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I mean, is that really saying a lot?

Hey, Scherff is pretty good. Other than that, yeah we have a solid guy in Chase Roullier and then everyone else is below average or worse. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Hey, Scherff is pretty good. Other than that, yeah we have a solid guy in Chase Roullier and then everyone else is below average or worse.

Sherff's reputation is now living off of his draft spot and first couple of years. I like him and i'm all for signing him to a big deal, but right now he's gotta play better than he's been playing the last couple seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Sherff's reputation is now living off of his draft spot and first couple of years. I like him and i'm all for signing him to a big deal, but right now he's gotta play better than he's been playing the last couple seasons. 

I'm actually against signing Scherff what he wants. He'll be 29 at the end of this season, signing him to a huge deal would be irresponsible. He's already kind of injury prone and that's only going to get worse in the coming years. The 2015 draft in general was trash though so we probably still made the right pick. Byron Jones or Arik Armstead would have been better, but I don't remember either getting a lot of top 10 hype. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm actually against signing Scherff what he wants. He'll be 29 at the end of this season, signing him to a huge deal would be irresponsible. He's already kind of injury prone and that's only going to get worse in the coming years. The 2015 draft in general was trash though so we probably still made the right pick. Byron Jones or Arik Armstead would have been better, but I don't remember either getting a lot of top 10 hype. 

When do you feel a guard is outside of his prime?

I say 33 or 34 for most and Scherff is supremely athletic for the position, so may have even longer. 

10 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We have the money. I don’t expect Moses to be back and there’s really no other dough tied up to that line. Smith will probably be off the books as well. Will he be worth what we pay him? Probably not. Is it still important to have some veteran leadership on that line? 100%. If he wants to stay we’ll end up giving him a 5-6 year deal at about 70-80