Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

Anyone have any suggestions on how to cover this gap so birds don't get hang out and try to nest under my roof?

The past few days I have noticed some pink stuff in my yard.  Then I saw a little bit more and more and I realized it was insulation.  And I know there was this gap in the corner of my roof and am pretty sure it's birds trying to clear out some space under my roof to make a nest.  So I'm looking to cover up this gap so they can't get in there.  

I looked and there is no nest yet so they haven't made a home there.  I do see them going in/out of there sometimes though but there isn't anything there yet.  We actually found a dead bird on our patio and I'm wondering if it had anything to do with ingesting insulation.

Anyways, here is the gap.  It's largest against the house there and it gradually gets smaller and smaller until it's gone.  I think the gutter is only being held up on the side by the wall there due to the downspout and the fascia behind the gutter near there looks to have rotted away.  I guess ideally I would want to have that replaced however I am not messing with that now and just want to figure out how to cover this gap.  

uKSGWaH.jpg

Here is a closeup pic of that corner, and in the other pic taken right next to it you can see the insulation there.

byX8nWH.jpg

73008Lv.jpg

I was thinking of getting maybe some gutter guards or some kind of screen material and just nailing it in place over that gap.  Does anyone have any suggestions if that is a good idea or some other suggestions?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Being a homeowner seems like a colossal pain in the ass, especially here where you are not immune to any type of weather/nature related event

or pests and rot ,sinkholes, yada, yada yada

image.png.93c9c0c4f3fd82588930641b860309a9.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

I was thinking of getting maybe some gutter guards or some kind of screen material and just nailing it in place over that gap.  Does anyone have any suggestions if that is a good idea or some other suggestions?

Thanks.

I'm assuming you've checked the attic from the inside. If you have squirrels/chipmunks/raccoons in your yard you better make sure they aren't in there. 

I wouldn't use anything plastic for a temporary cover. This screen is 4" & looks like it might cover those gaps. If not, you'll need the wider roll & then cut it to size. I would staple some heavy gauge plastic down over the gap & any exposed wood first. Then staple the screen on top of the plastic.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CMI-Kwikmesh-4-in-x-25-ft-Gable-Vent-Screen/3284802

image.png.3b8c0975f4bc172d69d681417094c6b9.png

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I'm wondering how such a huge-ass gap got there in the first place.  If looks like some siding/flashing slipped off or down. Or did the gutter drop on that side?

looks like they just put siding on it w/o a fascia board and then bolted the gutter on w/o anchoring to the rafters.

looks like my son in laws work, or whoever built the addition to my house. :taz:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Just snapped a video of the cabinet in action.  I made this for the arcade forum I am on to just showcase it and show how to switch games, but figured some of you all may think it's cool too.

Pretty neat!  The flickering on the first two is driving my ADHD a little crazy though, lol. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Pretty neat!  The flickering on the first two is driving my ADHD a little crazy though, lol. 

That's what happens when the refresh rates don't match up on the camera and the display lol.  You don't see that with your eyes in person.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Being a homeowner seems like a colossal pain in the ass, especially here where you are not immune to any type of weather/nature related event

With the new tax laws it makes it a lot harder to argue the value of owning versus renting. Unless you can pay cash.  

• Like 4

So glad that I am in a fortunate situation. I worked  hard to be here. Thankfully, I was ready for a rainy day. Stir crazy now though. I was already loaded up on food, water, adult beverages, and other household needs. 

We've donated a lot of stuff ( wife thinks we need certain things all the time...ugh). I have thanked her so many times since all this started. 

• Like 2

Ordered groceries for pickup today. Going to get a burger today too. It's bill paying day too. Was hoping for stimulus money today as it's Social Security day, nope, got the regular payment. 

I must say that I don't miss constantly looking for work assignments since retirement. That stress is gone from my life permanently. I have enough to live on, pay my bills. Since my stroke, my life is fairly restricted. However, I have my family and Dancer and good friends. 

• Like 5