Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

ExoDus84

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Apparently they shouldn't have flied, but I mean if you're just an average joe helicopter pilot, how do you say no to Kobe?

I saw some reports, apparently that dude wasn't an average joe helicopter pilot.  He was Kobe's private pilot and, if I understood correctly, an instructor, too.  Kobe had been taking helicopters for years in order to skip traffic in LA and be able to spend more time with his family.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I saw some reports, apparently that dude wasn't an average joe helicopter pilot.  He was Kobe's private pilot and, if I understood correctly, an instructor, too.  Kobe had been taking helicopters for years in order to skip traffic in LA and be able to spend more time with his family.  

I meant average joe in the sense that he's just a regular person, not someone of celebrity status.

• Like 1

In 2010 I spent 6 months at a client in Compton traveling back & forth to CA every week. We stayed at a hotel near LAX which was right next to the Lakers training facility in El Segundo. Several mornings when heading to breakfast I would see Kobe leaning against the front desk counter (this was in June/July/August). He wasn't as big as I thought - tall but thin. Every time I saw him I would wander up to the desk to pretend like I was going to ask the front desk agent a question. Kobe would look at me smile & say good morning. Nothing pretentious at all about him (well, that I could discern in a 30 second exchange 😀). 

Sad to think of all those people who died. Way too young. Sad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Something tells me the whole 'personal pilot,' thing actually lends itself towards bad decisions.  E.g.: I'm sure they had a professional relationship and there had been other times when he'd flown Kobe in less-than-ideal conditions.  Unintentionally, over time he probably saw it as his job to get Kobe where he needed to be, rather than to use his expertise and experience to ensure safety and efficiency in operating a a helicopter.

I read somewhere that when Aaliyah passed away years ago, the pilot supposedly warned her about the weight of the people and luggage on the plane, but the discussion never went beyond that warning.

• Like 2

The last thing I'm going to do at a time like this is blame the pilot when we have zero evidence of anything besides a weather report of how cloudy it was. There's no black box in the helicopter either, just an iPad they recovered. Sounds like so far it was just the perfect storm of things that could go wrong - a super low cloud ceiling + fog in the area which prevented visibility of seeing the change in slope. I'm sure that pilot made that trip countless times too if he was Kobe's personal pilot.

As people are coming to grips, quickly growing trend of his rape case and the mentions of it.  That Sonmez story is picking up steam and now the sanctimonious Will Leitch has penned this article:  https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/kobe-bryant-died-inspiration-many-not-all-we-can-t-ncna1124311

While the article paints an accurate picture, I disagreed with his closing.  Kobe Bryant's case has been mentioned a decent amount over the past couple of days.  How it has been mentioned, I'm sure people will battle over.  But it's not like it has NOT been mentioned.  Leitch, IMO, is correct to a certain extent...some people just do not want to hear it at all.

8 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

2 minutes into Inside the NBA and I dont know if i can watch the rest

Yeah I don't know if I can make it through this. I am glad I heard Shaq speak but that was so unbelievably painful. I pretty much lost it right away. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The victim of the rape felt that Kobe paid enough retribution monetarily that she opted out of court and chose not to testify against him in criminal proceedings.

If it was good enough for her its good enough for me. It’s not like Kobe made a habit out of treating women poorly...

That's not really what happened.  The criminal case was dropped before the civil case was started.  The criminal case was dropped because she refused to testify because her name had been released by some and she was being harassed, including things like death threats.

If there had not been the harassment and things like death threats, there is really no reason to believe she wouldn't have testified and Kobe might be have gone to jail.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Its' pretty obvious that if the LAPD and the Sherriff's Dept. had ground their helicopters it was probably not a time to be in the air.  

Orange county is a lot of miles from where the crash occurred.

It's not necessarily guaranteed that the conditions there were even close to being the same.

59 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Orange county is a lot of miles from where the crash occurred.

It's not necessarily guaranteed that the conditions there were even close to being the same.

Not sure what your point is.  LAPD grounded their helicopters.  The crash occurred in LA county. 

15 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Not sure what your point is.  LAPD grounded their helicopters.  The crash occurred in LA county. 

Well then LA county should have told them to land but they didn't.

Also they started out 30+ miles south of LA county where it may have not been foggy at all.

Since we're openly talking about the legal issues, we've seen what a professional athlete turned mega celebrity living a double life as a sociopath looks like and I just don't see that with Kobe. Also, I like how people like to say "all NBA players cheat on their wives" as if to imply it's relatively rare with everyday Joes. It's not something celebrities do, it's something men do regardless of their status and wealth. 

Edited by Berggy9598
  • Thanks 1

2016 Cartoon Predicting Kobe's Helicopter Crash Pulled By Comedy Central

A short-lived cartoon series on Comedy Central called Legends of Chamberlain Heights actually predicted legendary basketball player Kobe Bryant's helicopter crash in 2016, but the network has removed the videos because they are now in terrible taste. The episode was titled "End of Days" and originally aired on November 16, 2016. The show is about three "lowly benchwarmers on the Michael Clarke Duncan High basketball team" and the description for the episode is "A leaked sex tape causes a global internet blackout, and the Legends must find a way to survive the apocalypse."

Comedy Central removed the episode from their site and the link to it no longer works. The video was also deleted from their Facebook page. Meanwhile, the makers of the show released a statement on Twitter saying, "Out of respect for Kobe and his family we have removed the clip of him and ask that you please don’t share it. RIP Kobe and Gigi Bryant and everyone else who died in the helicopter crash today."

Click on the link for the full article

I dunno if I was the only one to think that the Rick Fox thing was a cruel joke.  Like, Rick Fox rode Kobe's coattails to winning titles with the Lakers, he had to have been on that helicopter, too...ha ha...

I got the feeling that someone made that joke on twitter and then some media member, dying to be FIRST took it and ran.