Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

St. Skeletor's Day – February 15, 2022

hqdefault.jpg

Valentine’s Day, or St. Valentine’s Day, is celebrated on February 14 every year. It was originally meant to be a day honoring two Christian martyrs named Valentine, but it eventually came to be known as a day of romance and love. Although there is no evidence of Valentine’s Day being a celebration of love, the earliest record of the same comes from Chaucer’s poem “Valentine’s Day”.

As the day made its way around the world, people began exchanging handwritten love notes. These rapidly grew in popularity, and printers began producing mechanical valentines such as a collection of doodles and love notes. This further turned into greeting cards, gifts, flowers, and before you know it, Valentine’s Day became commercialized. Companies like Cadbury and Hallmark recognized the business opportunity and established themselves as key players in this holiday.

It’s all cute and lovable if you have someone to love and be loved by; however, Valentine’s Day is anything but pleasant when you’re single. No one wants to be surrounded by overpriced teddy bears, couples indulging in heavy P.D.A., and everything dressed up in red and pink packaging. Every V-Day reference is a reminder of how single you are and nobody enjoys that. This is where St. Skeletor’s Day comes in. In 1998, comedian Richard Herring recognized the need for singles to have a day to peacefully hate love, and St. Skeletor’s Day provides the opportunity to do just that. It is named after Skeletor, an antagonist of the Masters of the Universe franchise, and is observed every year on February 15.

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

49 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Going to London and Paris in May. Any recommendations on a third city? We wanna do 3-4 nights in each city. Thinking either Amsterdam, Brussels, or Munich.

My 2 favorite cities in Europe are Venice and Prague. If you do Brussels, make sure you do a day trip to Bruges and/or Ghent.

Likewise if you chose Munich, you absolutely must not miss Neuschwannstein castle.

20 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Going to London and Paris in May. Any recommendations on a third city? We wanna do 3-4 nights in each city. Thinking either Amsterdam, Brussels, or Munich.

Depends on what you’re looking for.  I’ve been to Brussels and Amsterdam though it was over a decade ago.  I’d do Amsterdam again if I had to pick.  More touristy but more to do.  And plenty of options to get ****ing wild and crazy if you want to (that is usually more my style).

Edited by The Almighty Buzz

21 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Munich is amazing. A blend of modern and historical.  It’s my favorite German City by quite a bit. Easy choice for me between those three city’s. 
Barcelona would be another option for a third city. Beach, Mountains, and City all in one.
It’s a good time. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Amsterdam is a real cool city

i went to Munich for Octoberfest. Had a great time. But unless you’re planning on drinking all day and stumbling around in large crowds of drunk people, I don’t have anything useful to add. 

I messed up.

My workload has been growing a lot lately, and asking for help and even delegating isnt working as I had hoped.  I don't want to get into what I plan to do about that, I need to get to my point.

I've been slowly creeping towards working until 530 600 some nights lately, and yesterday I worked until 7.  By time I made sure everyone in the house was alright, many of the things I wanted to get done after work it was too late to do.

My wife and I agreed to work on our workaholic ways when we got married, and tried our best to double down after having our first kid.

But again  I fd up, it's 900 and I'm jus logging off.

My wife put the kid to bed early, gave me short answers for everything, and went to buy our daughter food.  I know she is pissed and she has every right to be.

Tomorrow I absolutely cannot do that because I'm getting the boostershot at 6.  It's going to come across as selfish to not take care of the other things for two days and stop to do this. I'll have to wait until Tuesday that I'm taking this "stop at 5 thing" seriously again.  

What's going on at my job is bad, I'm covering a lot of **** in the middle of contract negotiation that could impact my employment.  I've done my best to put my family first, but this has progressively gotten worse since log4j came out, and again, today I royally fd up.

I'm considering getting up early in the AM to keep up with work, but it will have to be early enough that I can still work out and make sure everyone eats.  I should be telling my job to go f itself for working off the clock and having to go into negative PTO to get only a week with my wife when our daughter was born.  But this doesn't feel the right time to do it, especially with another one on the way in May.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

@Renegade7

I hear you dude. I watched both my coworkers do that. 

i decided not to. It’s not my responsibility to managing staffing and workload. I work hard and get done what can get done.

i don’t know that my way is better. But it’s what I picked. There’s definitely some animosity about it. I think. 

but you’re not alone. 

One thing to remember - right now is jobs season

go learn some k8s. They’re paying huge money for that. Get out of the rat race and work on puzzles 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I messed up.

My workload has been growing a lot lately, and asking for help and even delegating isnt working as I had hoped.  I don't want to get into what I plan to do about that, I need to get to my point.

I've been slowly creeping towards working until 530 600 some nights lately, and yesterday I worked until 7.  By time I made sure everyone in the house was alright, many of the things I wanted to get done after work it was too late to do.

My wife and I agreed to work on our workaholic ways when we got married, and tried our best to double down after having our first kid.

But again  I fd up, it's 900 and I'm jus logging off.

My wife put the kid to bed early, gave me short answers for everything, and went to buy our daughter food.  I know she is pissed and she has every right to be.

Tomorrow I absolutely cannot do that because I'm getting the boostershot at 6.  It's going to come across as selfish to not take care of the other things for two days and stop to do this. I'll have to wait until Tuesday that I'm taking this "stop at 5 thing" seriously again.  

What's going on at my job is bad, I'm covering a lot of **** in the middle of contract negotiation that could impact my employment.  I've done my best to put my family first, but this has progressively gotten worse since log4j came out, and again, today I royally fd up.

I'm considering getting up early in the AM to keep up with work, but it will have to be early enough that I can still work out and make sure everyone eats.  I should be telling my job to go f itself for working off the clock and having to go into negative PTO to get only a week with my wife when our daughter was born.  But this doesn't feel the right time to do it, especially with another one on the way in May.

Hey Word, right there with you as far as being "first one there, last one to leave."

I cannot speak on having kids, or a wife.  A family.

All I know, is that you're a beast.  Do it, and go home, and have the best life for the weekend.  Stay Hard - David Goggins

• Like 1

My favorite Yotube ad:  Cruella.  Where she's like "you designed this dress but I made improvements to it".

My least favorite:  The baby choking on something, from a security camera.  A close second place, guy holding a bullet thinking about off-ing himself.

Hopefully that s*** is a good way to make the masses aware of dangers, studied by people, with PHDs and ****. 

Why do I have to see someone completely miserable before watching a throwback WWF clip?

"OMG, Ima kill meself....*glass breaks* (Stone Cold music)