Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

4 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

@Chew I don't know what it is...Floyd doesn't resonate with me.  Neither does The Grateful Dead, Velvet Underground, Jefferson Airplane...all those deeply psychadelic bands.  The kaleidoscope trip ends with The Doors and prog Beatles for me.  Floyd does have a few songs I rock with, at least.  Welcome to the Machine is awesome.  The Grateful Dead?  I don't get the rage what-so-ever.  My sister and dad have tried to make me "understand them" way too much.  It's literally sad.

Wasn't expecting to get my feelings hurt today. :(  I kid LOL.  But I hear you.  Sometimes you just don't rock with popular bands the way most do, for whatever reason.  My dad loves him some Genesis but they don't really do anything for me.    

Kinda cool story.  I played keyboards for a gogo band in high school, and we landed our biggest gig ever, opening up for Junkyard at the Icebox.  I took piano lessons for about 12 years and learned how to play by ear really well.  I taught myself how to play "Time," playing the vocal melody with my right hand using a tech brass sound, and split the keyboard to play the chord progressions with my left hand.  I met up with our guitar player Ricky a few times before the show so he and I could work on it.  

So during warm ups and sound check, Ricky and I started playing Time.  He was shredding something fierce, and the drummer had no idea what we were playing, but he just picked up the beat and started grooving with us.  Our lead rapper started to freestyle over the beat.  I looped the chords to free up my left hand and did some 808 bass hits that rattled the foundation of the building.  So for about five minutes we just rocked out some Pink Floyd before we went into our set.  

The crowd that was there to see Junk was much older than we were (they're probably in their 50s now), and some of them immediately recognized the song we were playing and started jamming with us.  It was sooooooo awesome.  :headbang:

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Chew said:

Wasn't expecting to get my feelings hurt today. :(  I kid LOL.  But I hear you.  Sometimes you just don't rock with popular bands the way most do, for whatever reason.  My dad loves him some Genesis but they don't really do anything for me.    

Kinda cool story.  I played keyboards for a gogo band in high school, and we landed our biggest gig ever, opening up for Junkyard at the Icebox.  I took piano lessons for about 12 years and learned how to play by ear really well.  I taught myself how to play "Time," playing the vocal melody with my right hand using a tech brass sound, and split the keyboard to play the chord progressions with my left hand.  I met up with our guitar player Ricky a few times before the show so he and I could work on it.  

So during warm ups and sound check, Ricky and I started playing Time.  He was shredding something fierce, and the drummer had no idea what we were playing, but he just picked up the beat and started grooving with us.  Our lead rapper started to freestyle over the beat.  I looped the chords to free up my left hand and did some 808 bass hits that rattled the foundation of the building.  So for about five minutes we just rocked out some Pink Floyd before we went into our set.  

The crowd that was there to see Junk was much older than we were (they're probably in their 50s now), and some of them immediately recognized the song we were playing and started jamming with us.  It was sooooooo awesome.  :headbang:

The first time I jammed with a buddy of mine named Nick, we played White Room by Cream for a good half an hour straight.  He was a beastly bass player.

He passed a decade or so ago.  He wanted his musician friends to have a mini concert at his funeral.  It was the first and only time I've played Stairway to Heaven with a band.  That sentimental adrenaline made me nail it.  I never felt so strong and in-control behind the skins.  Afterwards his mom said, "that was awesome.....a little loud, but awesome."

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Wife hacked your account...  Hopefully. 

No.  I had ignored the whole thing for a while because it just seemed like normal, famous people trouble that I don’t feel sorry for them.  But once I actually learned about what was going on, I genuinely feel bad for her.  And the fact that something like this can happen to someone so rich and famous is very scary.  This is something I actually encourage people to read up on.  

• Like 3

Another successful day.  Went to the jeweler, got everything cleaned and talked about what to do with some of my stuff...I want to design something totally different...so we looked through books and websites for about an hour.  That was fun, because I'm not really a jewelry person and need a lot of help in that regard. 

Three grocery stores, and I'm stocked again for the next few months.  Greenery and cookies procured.  :silly:  Trash is at the curb, tomorrow's coffee & dinner prep is done, and kitties are fed.  I went out and picked up the trash along my fenceline (I'm on the corner of the neighborhood), drenched by the time I got in.  One of the trees the county decided to kill when they put in the sidewalk has fallen on the fire hydrant about 30 feet from my driveway...now I've gotta make that call. 

But I like it when I'm genuinely tired at the end of the day. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Another successful day.  Went to the jeweler, got everything cleaned and talked about what to do with some of my stuff...I want to design something totally different...so we looked through books and websites for about an hour.  That was fun, because I'm not really a jewelry person and need a lot of help in that regard. 

Three grocery stores, and I'm stocked again for the next few months.  Greenery and cookies procured.  :silly:  Trash is at the curb, tomorrow's coffee & dinner prep is done, and kitties are fed.  I went out and picked up the trash along my fenceline (I'm on the corner of the neighborhood), drenched by the time I got in.  One of the trees the county decided to kill when they put in the sidewalk has fallen on the fire hydrant about 30 feet from my driveway...now I've gotta make that call. 

But I like it when I'm genuinely tired at the end of the day. 

giphy.gif.81392378ba765533ccf19d6944a6fd5d.gif

I got some indoor plants today.  All the old stuff I've been stone-cold trashing in major disregard for nostalgia has worked so well.  Been researching how less personal belongings = less stress.  Weird, but it's working.  Low key not worried about my s*** being burglarized.  Anyway...

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Parents 50th anniversary is next month. Total blank on what to get them for it. 

A good note, and a display with flowers, candles...whatever is pretty.  Dad will appreciate it, mom will love it.  My rents will hit 42 years in September.  Can't believe those psychos made it that far together. 😆

• Like 1

I keep cats.  I'm looking at 5 little boxes of ashes, and I'll have at least 3 more to go.  They lived extremely long lives, with only one exception (and RG was my girl)...Boots had a seizure and I had to let Vai go because they said he would go the same way as Boots. 

No tears...but I can't keep a cactus alive.  With cats, I'll have to keep everything hanging, so tell me what works that I won't kill.  

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I keep cats.  I'm looking at 5 little boxes of ashes, and I'll have at least 3 more to go.  They lived extremely long lives, with only one exception (and RG was my girl)...Boots had a seizure and I had to let Vai go because they said he would go the same way as Boots. 

No tears...but I can't keep a cactus alive.  With cats, I'll have to keep everything hanging, so tell me what works that I won't kill.  

As far as plants?  Robert plant.  Play some Zeppelin.