Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

19 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Slow progress is still progress. Sometimes it’s really difficult to see. But, one day, you may wake up and look out the window and realize you’ve been doing quite well along. Especially considering the difficult circumstances people are challenged with.

I just (re)watched a video of Jordan Peterson saying the same thing.  Small increments that will enhance your life eventually add up to a significant overall enhancement.  Been following that idea for a bit, and it has worked quite well.  Although I still put off things that are the most annoying, they are basically all that's left to do.  I set them up days ahead of time to make it as minimally stressful as possible.

Last week my babygirl doggo who is my most fragile one, got sick as hell.  Put it in to perspective.  Went in to "f*** everything else" mode.  That's all that mattered...getting her better.  Made everything else seem trivial.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Slow progress is still progress. Sometimes it’s really difficult to see. But, one day, you may wake up and look out the window and realize you’ve been doing quite well along. Especially considering the difficult circumstances people are challenged with.

Oh, considering everything...I'm extremely blessed and thankful.  I just managed to screw up in the worst way with a friend and I won't get the chance to make it better. 

And then there's this...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/iconic-atlanta-krispy-kreme-catches-fire-for-the-second-time-in-less-than-six-months/ar-AALTwpL?ocid=winp1taskbar

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

QFT.  A lot of people across the planet probably need to hear this.  Sometimes just barely getting through the day is good enough.  You survived.  That's a W.  Stack enough dubs and you begin to realize you've got a winning record. :)

I stopped going to AA when COVID hit, but I would've received my 5-year coin two weeks ago.  Beating alcoholism is the most difficult thing I've ever done and it's what I'm most proud of.  Day 1 of rehab felt like the end of the world, but every morning it got a teensy bit easier.  

Not meant to be a "poor Chew" vent session, but I say all that to emphasize your point that slow progress is indeed progress. It's difficult to hear that when you're going through it, but it's the truth.  One day at a time. 

That's why I go out of my way to always, always be warm and polite to everyone, because you never know what people are going through.  A small act of kindness or a friendly conversation with someone in line at the grocery store might be what they need to get a W for that day or to keep from harming themselves.  The stories I heard during group share in rehab would've made Chuck Norris cry, and these broken souls are walking past us on the street every day.  

No idea why your post triggered me to type all that, I guess what you said really resonated with me ✊🏽.

I'm probably the softest bamma west of the Mississippi.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2021 at 7:32 PM, PokerPacker said:

Only relationship I have with anybody I've known in k-12 is that I play hockey against a couple of them.  Well, I did.  Their team hasn't reformed since the pandemic yet.

College friends... I talk to one of them fairly regularly, but he's out of state now.  I work in practically the same building as another college friend of mine (same campus; buildings connected by an indoor pathway), yet I haven't seen him in a couple years.

I usually talk/text with my best friend daily (known each other since we were 8 years old - 38 total years) and our families vacation together every year (except last year).  He lives in Ohio, his dad lives 10-12 minutes from me, he's actually coming down to NC this Saturday and staying at Great Wolf Lodge a couple of nights, so we are staying Sat. night. 

His brother, my other best friend (and college roommate) I don't see that often, but we have a group text with him and hang out a couple of times a year.  He moved to Indianapolis in 2019, moved back to Charlotte in 2020, and just moved in with his girlfriend a couple hours away (Pinehurst, NC).  

As for "college friends", some I went to college with, but didn't meet at college (friends of friends from work).  I don't see any of them anymore.  One moved to CA, the other acted like an ass to me and even after putting it behind me (it was 100% all on him) and him stating we needed to hang out and watch some Redskins games, I reached out multiple times and he kept blowing me off.  So after a while, I just cut ties with him. 

Another college friend, his wife and my wife stay in touch (she's my wife's hair dresser), they came to my daughter's 6th (or 7th) birthday party.  But haven't hung out with them in years, outside of some birthday parties, wedding, etc.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chew said:

No idea why your post triggered me to type all that, I guess what you said really resonated with me ✊🏽.

Right on! Fantastic to hear that you are winning your battle! Love it!

My issues have been documented here. Life in general resonates more with me now that I'm not battling everyday to stay alive. All my energy was consumed with just trying to make it through the day. I didn't notice a lot of what was around me.

Now I do, but I have the energy to take notice and it's a fantastic feeling. It's the big things and the small things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Craziest thing I learned this morning (from the book Breath) is how we lose weight. When we exercise, we burn calories, but if you think about the equation e=mc^2 we are never going to convert enough mass into energy to lose weight. So where does it go? We convert O^2 to CO^2. The weight loss is the carbon. For the average 10 lb. of weight loss, more than 8.5lb. is the difference in weight between the carbon dioxide we breath out and the oxygen we take in.

Got a hell of a lot done this week.  Especially at the end (today, lol).  Anyone else procrastinate -because- you are motivated under pressure?

Took my car to the shop, they were closed (business hours online are wrong).  Went back, put my work order in, they called me saying car was ready.  Called me 5 minutes later saying they were out of tires for it.  Couldn't do fuel injection, couldn't fill fluids due to Covid protocol?  Wha???

So I got an oil change, lol!  And my apartment is beastly.  Living room is back to being a full fledged home gym.  Bought a stack of video games, bought Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (I shamefully haven't seen it from start to finish).

Now I have to be at work the vast majority of the next 3 days, but that's it.  Ultra-chillin starts Tuesday.  Let's gooooo!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hilton Head?  Thought you were too bougie for that.  Shouldn't you be going to the French Laundry or the North Island in Seychelles?  Fiji?  Lawyers don't go to Hilton Head, bro.

Have y’all been to French laundry? I’m like 30 mins away but never tried. 

2 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Got a hell of a lot done this week.  Especially at the end (today, lol).  Anyone else procrastinate -because- you are motivated under pressure?

Took my car to the shop, they were closed (business hours online are wrong).  Went back, put my work order in, they called me saying car was ready.  Called me 5 minutes later saying they were out of tires for it.  Couldn't do fuel injection, couldn't fill fluids due to Covid protocol?  Wha???

So I got an oil change, lol!  And my apartment is beastly.  Living room is back to being a full fledged home gym.  Bought a stack of video games, bought Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (I shamefully haven't seen it from start to finish).

Now I have to be at work the vast majority of the next 3 days, but that's it.  Ultra-chillin starts Tuesday.  Let's gooooo!

I use to tell myself this. Turns out I’m just lazy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1