Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

Signed the papers today to put my country house on the market in August.  Paid $425 for it in 2014.  Needs $25 of spit and polish to get right.  I don’t necessarily wanna do it right now, but post-COVID madness has forced my hand…and I’ll be asking for a premium.

If you’re looking for a custom rancher in the Piedmont on 10 acres with room for 4-5 vehicles and 10-15 guitars….

• Like 2

Pink Floyd is my favorite band of all-time, grew up listening to them with my dad.  

Always knew the name Syd Barrett, but just thought he was one of the early founders of Pink Floyd that left due to petty differences that usually break up bands.  Didn't know that he basically broke his brain with excessive psychedelics use and became a recluse and painter until last night.  Really friggin' sad what happened to him.  It sounds like the death of his father and mental illness we're already causing issues before the drugs just completely destroyed him.  

Great Rolling Stone article a few years ago with all kinds of crazy stories about Syd.   Dude tried to join some nutty cult when he was 19 but got rejected by its leader.  

I google imaged "Syd Barrett" and the picture of him in the white collared shirt looking at the camera is pretty unsettling.  There's nothing there behind his eyes.  Dude was gone.  ☹️

https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/syd-barrett-10-things-you-didnt-know-about-pink-floyds-crazy-diamond-225236/

• Like 6

@Chew I don't know what it is...Floyd doesn't resonate with me.  Neither does The Grateful Dead, Velvet Underground, Jefferson Airplane...all those deeply psychadelic bands.  The kaleidoscope trip ends with The Doors and prog Beatles for me.  Floyd does have a few songs I rock with, at least.  Welcome to the Machine is awesome.  The Grateful Dead?  I don't get the rage what-so-ever.  My sister and dad have tried to make me "understand them" way too much.  It's literally sad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Happy 69th Birthday to Stan Shaw.

Born July 14, 1952, He is an  actor.  Shaw has played many role in movies and television.  Some of his movie credits include, The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings in 1976 as Esquire Joe Calloway. Shaw appears also in Rocky (1976) as Dipper, a rival boxer who taunts Rocky after being given his locker. He also plays a professional fighter in Tough Enough (1983), Harlem Nights (1989), and Snake Eyes (1998).

One of his most notable roles was his appearance as Alex Haley's maternal grandfather Will Palmer in the 1979 miniseries Roots: The Next Generations. Another notable role was Private Washington in The Boys in Company C (1978). Shaw also plays Toomer Smalls in The Great Santini (1979). 

After a part in the 1991 film Fried Green Tomatoes, he had a role in the 1995 comedy Houseguest, alongside Sinbad, and appeared as a pirate in Cutthroat Island (1995) with Geena Davis. He appeared as George Tyrell in the 1996 disaster film Daylight and as Archie Mullen in the film Freedom Song (2000).

Before becoming an actor, Shaw was a karate, judo, and jujutsu instructor in Chicago. He holds first dan black belt in judo and jujutsu and a second dan in karate.
image.thumb.png.f9f4ab135eea7be2dd6e9b6b5a3379f6.png

• Like 2

Meddle and Obscured By Clouds are my favorite Floyd LPs.  Dark Side is too overplayed, and The Wall only has 4 good songs - the rest is self indulgent Waters sniveling.

There are lots of excellent Pink Floyd documentaries on YouTube. One of the best concerning Syd Barrett was an interview with Richard Wright, where he said he remembers the party where he is certain Syd Barrett "OD'ed" on acid. Said he was essentially a different person the next day and never recovered.

What did the Grateful Dead fans say when they ran out of drugs?

"Man, this music sucks!"

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Like 3