Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I'm just hoping for seasonality at this point. If this thing doesn't change course dramatically with warmer weather I probably will not leave the house. 

There’s some preliminary data that does indicate seasonality for this virus. 

Over the next few months, data will come out on how to best treat patients and there are clinical trials underway for anti-viral drugs. I thinks it’s entirely possible that we can bring down the mortality rate. I also think we need to work on making this part of the regular flu and strep panel that are administered anytime someone shows up with a fever and respiratory illness. 

A lot of the uncertainty right now is that this new territory for the healthcare system. Once testing is routine and we know the best course of treatment, it’s possible that this isn’t as scary as it is right now. Getting through the next few months while limiting case #s is crucial. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

No reason to lock yourself into a specific course of action...

No I agree, I just would expect it to be extended. It's essentially just one school week, which is probably not long enough to contain anything if there's a real threat.

32 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

No I agree, I just would expect it to be extended. It's essentially just one school week, which is probably not long enough to contain anything if there's a real threat.

What I've seen thrown around about closing school is the number of health care workers with kids thatd need to figure that out.  That's why the colleges are kicking students out and public schools are waiting until last minute. 

Having said that, I dont agree with colleges telling everyone to leave even if they have nowhere to go, but they are adults, not second graders.

Edited by Renegade7

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Not a lot of noise from the anti-vaxxer crowd.  

Well. There is no vaccine so im sure they are satiated. This is technically what they want I think 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Not a lot of noise from the anti-vaxxer crowd.  

This is one of those one a decade world altering events like 9/11 and Great Recession.  

Having said that, there isn't a vaccine to complain about yet and solid chance many arent tweeting because they are already sick or in the hospital.

• Like 1

Italy has suspended mortgage payments for all citizens for six months. 

We’re going to need similar measures here to keep the economy afloat by pumping money into the pockets of the lower and middle class that don’t have savings. It will be an interesting test of the Republican Party that has spent the past three years cutting corporate taxes and exploding the wealth of the 1% at the cost of public debt.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Italy has suspended mortgage payments for all citizens for six months. 

We’re going to need similar measures here to keep the economy afloat by pumping money into the pockets of the lower and middle class that don’t have savings. It will be an interesting test of the Republican Party that has spent the past three years cutting corporate taxes and exploding the wealth of the 1% at the cost of public debt.

Im not sure how to articulate it, but I suspect that Republicans and the people who give them orders are smart enough to know that they need people to take advantage of to stay on top. And if those people either die or have no money at all to take, then Republicans lose and they whole system falls apart. So as always, they will end up doing what they have to do to retain power. Not explicitly to save or help people. But if they have to, to benefit themselves....sure it will happen. 

Well its going to be fine. I was jist informed by a coworker,that though China let this virus out,coronavirus has been around for a long time. Just look at the back of a Lysol can. I should be more concerned about the flu. This will go away soon.  Whew. Glad we had that talk. 

SIGH.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

Wife and I are currently on ma/paternity leave for the next 7 weeks (longer for her). The upside is that we have been functionally quarantined for the last 3 weeks and can remain so for awhile. The only time we are around people is the grocery store and Ive been going to the gym almost every day. Since we do that in the middle of the day,  we aren’t around many people. Our only real vector is our 4 year old in preschool, so we may have to write her off soon. :)  

The downside is we have a 3 week old who hasn’t developed an immune system yet. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

PS I love how transparent it is that Trump just wanted to **** the EU.  Excludes UK for no real stated reason from ban, and says trade and cargo are to be stopped from the rest of Europe (they won't be).

I'm sure this is just coincidence:

Trump's coronavirus travel ban excludes the countries

where he has golf courses struggling for business

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-trump-europe-travel-ban-exclude-uk-ireland-golf-courses-2020-3

• Sad 1

The lady in the office next to me is listening to a podcast about Revelations and the End of Times.

I do think people should have a healthy level of concern about this.  They should take proper precautions and even stock up on some shelf-stable food, etc.  Wash you hands a lot and follow all other guidance being put out.  That said, I think people shouldn't be TOO scared of this.  Maybe its just because of my general outlook on life but I'm not that concerned.  I'm prepared.  I wash my hands a lot.  All that stuff.  But outside of that, I accept that it is beyond my control.  And because of that, I'm not going to let it scare me.  Whatever is meant to be will be.  But a lot of people seem so scared that you can't even make a joke about what is going on.  That level of fear isn't healthy or helpful in my opinion.  Do what you need to do and then calm down.  If the world is going to end, you aren't going to stop it.  Sit down, pour yourself a drank, and watch.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Im not sure how to articulate it, but I suspect that Republicans and the people who give them orders are smart enough to know that they need people to take advantage of to stay on top. And if those people either die or have no money at all to take, then Republicans lose and they whole system falls apart. So as always, they will end up doing what they have to do to retain power. Not explicitly to save or help people. But if they have to, to benefit themselves....sure it will happen. 

That's not unique to Republicans. That's most politicians in general.

• Like 1

Here in Richmond, we've been told to work from home "for the forseeable future"  Yesterday afternoon people were taking home their desk chairs, files, etc.  Trying not to dwell on it too much, but sometimes I go down a rabbit hole and wonder when we'll go back-if ever.  Some people love working from home; I don't like it.  I enjoy the intereaction, and since I'm in testing, some great solutions have happened in just casual conversations that don't exist when everyone is remote.

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Wife and I are currently on ma/paternity leave for the next 7 weeks (longer for her). The upside is that we have been functionally quarantined for the last 3 weeks and can remain so for awhile. The only time we are around people is the grocery store and Ive been going to the gym almost every day. Since we do that in the middle of the day,  we aren’t around many people. Our only real vector is our 4 year old in preschool, so we may have to write her off soon. :)  

The downside is we have a 3 week old who hasn’t developed an immune system yet. 

My son's preschool in LoCo is open today but likely to shut down next week. We held him home as a prescaution, since schools closed today and we didn't have to send him.