Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Why does his political affiliation matter? Can't the guy do a good deed without being called out on social media?

Have you not noticed yet that his political affiliation has had a YUGE effect on the exact situation we find ourselves in?? 

55 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just pointing out, I bought a Disney annual pass on installment payments, and I'm still making payments on it.  (Made one two days ago.)  

Now, Disney has already told me that, when the parks reopen, my pass will be extended by however many days the parks were closed for.  So, I will have a period when I'm not making payments, but my pass will still be good. 

Similarly, they also offer a discount to people who renew their pass within, I think it's 30 days of when their previous one expires.  And they've said that, if my pass had expired before the shutdown, but I was still within my renewal window, then the renewal window will be extended by however long the parks stay closed.  And there's other things they're doing, for people who booked rooms or cruises, or multi-day park tickets, and similar things.  

And they shut down before the state did anything.  And announced that they're paying their cast members during the shutdown.  (I don't know if they still are.  The initial shutdown they announced was only for two weeks.  I also don't know if that's only some of their workers, and others are "contractors" or some such.)  

I suspect they probably should have shut down sooner.  But I do think they've done a vastly better job of this than any other corporation I'm aware of.  

(Maybe I'm biased.  A little.)  

ENTERTAINMENT

Disney to furlough non-union employees at theme parks, waives annual pass fees

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/disney-to-furlough-non-union-park-employees-in-the-us.html

High school classmate died from Covid-19 yesterday. Wife, two kids, only 47. Was a pharmacist in DC. 

Lots of friends of friends dying. Most NY based.

The next month is going to be more brutal than even the experts imagined, I fear.

• Sad 10

Daily Show tweet/video

To me, the really damning thing about that presentation, is how many of those quotes are from mid March.  (I think the earliest are from last week of Feb.)

Maybe I could manage (reluctantly) to do a "OK, they were wrong", if those quotes were from, say, mid January.  But mid March?  Like, three weeks ago?  

Edited by Larry

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Daily Show tweet/video

To me, the really damning thing about that presentation, is how many of those quotes are from mid March.  

Maybe I could manage (reluctantly) to do a "OK, they were wrong", if those quotes were from, say, mid January.  But mid March?  Like, three weeks ago?  

Goes to show you how much Drumpf believes EVERYTHING Fox tells him.  They tell him jump and he says how high

And what I really don't get about the Republican spin machine's response to this emergency is, what was their motive?  

Did they honestly believe that if they just lied enough, people wouldn't notice the hospitals overflowing?  Tens/hundreds of thousands of dead?  Ten times that many in the hospital?  I mean, it's like telling people that are in the path of a wildfire, that it's not there.  Did they think that the people wouldn't notice when their house caught on fire?  

But to me, even worse than the fact that they actually thought they could sell the lie that the disease that's put your family member in the hospital doesn't actually exist, is why would they even try?  

I mean, when somebody robs a bank, I recognize that it's wrong, but I at least understand his motive.  He wanted money.  I can relate to the motive.  

But by lying about this disease, and doing absolutely nothing useful about it, what was their payoff?  Another 3-4 weeks of good poll numbers?  What did they expect to get, in return for their souls?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

And what I really don't get about the Republican spin machine's response to this emergency is, what was their motive?  

Did they honestly believe that if they just lied enough, people wouldn't notice the hospitals overflowing?  Tens/hundreds of thousands of dead?  Ten times that many in the hospital?  I mean, it's like telling people that are in the path of a wildfire, that it's not there.  Did they think that the people wouldn't notice when their house caught on fire?  

But to me, even worse than the fact that they actually thought they could sell the lie that the disease that's put your family member in the hospital doesn't actually exist, is why would they even try?  

I mean, when somebody robs a bank, I recognize that it's wrong, but I at least understand his motive.  He wanted money.  I can relate to the motive.  

But by lying about this disease, and doing absolutely nothing useful about it, what was their payoff?  Another 3-4 weeks of good poll numbers?  What did they expect to get, in return for their souls?  

Combination of arrogance and inability to see past the next day.

Also, the cult leader is a legit sociopath.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

It's not hard for me anymore to accept that they want nothing more than pure chaos of the highest order. They were bad before, pretty much since their inception, but they have metastasized into something evil.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Larry said:

This is about keeping GOP in power as much as possible. 

At some point clips like that will be used to come after them financially and only a GOP president would protect them constitutionally. 

Is the tail wagging the dog? Doesn't matter, they both have been in a twisted symbiotic survival mode. Maybe it used to be money, but once the lawsuits for misinformation comes Fox will need Trump more then ever instead of the other way around.

Edited by Renegade7