Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Staff thread: Now complete OP edited 1/15/20

Burgold

Thanks for putting this together GoSkins.  Great stuff.  It's too bad Cooley can't get into personnel department as his tape sessions seems like he can tell who can ball and who can't and how to get them in the best position for success.  That can be coaching and personnel.  Just don't think he has the grind for coaching as that is almost year round and dusk to dawn.

On 1/11/2020 at 7:58 AM, SumTingWong said:

(Coach Vieselmeyer teaching high school kids the zone blitz.)

One thing I like about this guy is that after he was fired from Oakland along with DelRio he tried to get a job in the NFL but failed to find a good fit. He could have given up then and there and gone on to pursue his life’s work but he took a position coaching at an obscure undermanned high school instead. Certainly not a resume building decision. He had to know this was likely career suicide and The end of his NFL ambitions but he did it anyway.

There’s only one motivation that would explain why a man would do such a thing:

PURE LOVE OF THE GAME. 

I’m rooting for coach V.

He didn’t have the talent it takes to win but, it looks like he knows what he’s doing. 

the other thing I took from that was we’re going to need bigger and more physical CB’s.

I know some people have a problem with coaches bringing in their kids and screaming nepotism but I dont.

the hours we expect these guys to put in we should be welcoming them bringing in their family to help out.

it's the least we can offer these coaches who commit almost all of their available time to putting a winning team on the field.

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I know some people have a problem with coaches bringing in their kids and screaming nepotism but I dont.

the hours we expect these guys to put in we should be welcoming them bringing in their family to help out.

it's the least we can offer these coaches who commit almost all of their available time to putting a winning team on the field.

You may or may not have been directing this at me but since I did jut bring it up, I will respond at least for myself. 

i actually don't have a problem with it either. Especially at the positions they are bringing them in at. If instead they gave them position coach duties but they had zero experience coaching then I might have a problem. But Quality control? That's the entry level job. No problem what so ever them bringing in relatives (Vincent Rivera is his nephew not son 🙂)

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Not sure there are any inferences to draw from this other than Ron likes his own people and most HCs do. So nothing earth shattering. Just found it kind of interesting. May come back to this later and see how it has worked out. 

It's official on Zampese now, and he was an outside hire.  

A few other observations:

- 2 of the 3 coordinators are not from Carolina. 

- And while the numbers add up to Carolina North, I think in positions of most importance (take out the Quality Control guys and the assistants), you have

- From Carolina: Offensive: OC, OL, WR, TE Defensive: DL, LB

- Holdover: STC, RB

- Outside: DC, DB, QB

So of the 11 "top" coaches, which are the position coaches or coordinators, you have 6 Carolina, 2 Redskins holdovers, and 3 outside hires.  Honestly, that's not that bad of a split.  Sure, the assistant position coaches and quality control guys are important too, but those positions change around a ton every year.  So I'm not too concerned about it. And if there weren't a lot of "Ron's guys" on his first staff, that would be surprising.  But he didn't bring everybody and some important positions (DC, STC) are not from Carolina.  

Personally, I'm very excited about Del Rio, Zampese and Matsko, who I've heard a ton of good things about.  I'd assume the TE coach would be pretty good, given how productive the TEs in Carolina have been.  At the very least, I would assume he wasn't a bumbling idiot, though I know nothing about him.  

I'm not sure his tweet has been posted yet. 

This just seems like a much more quality group of coaches than the 'Skins have had since Shanahan has been fired.  

The biggest question, and it's the biggest question by a mile, is Scott Turner.  He might be great, he might not be, but he's the big unknown.  

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It's official on Zampese now, and he was an outside hire.  

A few other observations:

- 2 of the 3 coordinators are not from Carolina. 

- And while the numbers add up to Carolina North, I think in positions of most importance (take out the Quality Control guys and the assistants), you have

- From Carolina: Offensive: OC, OL, WR, TE Defensive: DL, LB

- Holdover: STC, RB

- Outside: DC, DB, QB

So of the 11 "top" coaches, which are the position coaches or coordinators, you have 6 Carolina, 2 Redskins holdovers, and 3 outside hires.  Honestly, that's not that bad of a split.  Sure, the assistant position coaches and quality control guys are important too, but those positions change around a ton every year.  So I'm not too concerned about it. And if there weren't a lot of "Ron's guys" on his first staff, that would be surprising.  But he didn't bring everybody and some important positions (DC, STC) are not from Carolina.  

Personally, I'm very excited about Del Rio, Zampese and Matsko, who I've heard a ton of good things about.  I'd assume the TE coach would be pretty good, given how productive the TEs in Carolina have been.  At the very least, I would assume he wasn't a bumbling idiot, though I know nothing about him.  

I'm not sure his tweet has been posted yet. 

This just seems like a much more quality group of coaches than the 'Skins have had since Shanahan has been fired.  

The biggest question, and it's the biggest question by a mile, is Scott Turner.  He might be great, he might not be, but he's the big unknown.  

It came from the Redskins so I didn't check. Should have seen Zampese was missing. Thanks for the correction. I will correct above.

I am excited about Zampese and Del Rio. Like you I see the biggest unknown as Turner. He may be great and I hope he is. But he is clearly the least qualified for his position. Overall I have no real problem with his staff or his approach. 

The best part is the massive cleaning house he is doing. I get change is not aleways good. But considering what the previous FO contributed to, I find it very hard to believe this group will do much worse. 

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

The best part is the massive cleaning house he is doing. I get change is not aleways good. But considering what the previous FO contributed to, I find it very hard to believe this group will do much worse. 

What’s interesting is that with all the house cleaning, they haven’t tossed the baby out with the bath water.  He’s kept certain guys, like Kyle and the Tim guy who’s now going to be the director of college scouting .  He te-assigned Doug.  He kept the ST coach who had done well. 

I like the change.  Getting rid of Bruce, Eric and Hess removed the Dan stooges. Getting rid of the entire defensive staff which sucked.  Brining in guys he knows but also guys with great reputations.

Its a lot of changes.  But it’s also not change for change sake.

15 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

nothing in that report was true lol come on.

IF Bill Belichick had "inquired" about the DC or NYG job in 2017 after NE traded Jimmy G., he would be a coach at one of those spots right now.

If Bill wanted to leave NE, he would.  And if he asked Dan (or his agent asked Dan), if he could come to Washington, I don't care how stupid you think Dan is, there is no way on God's green Earth that Dan turns down Belichick.  He gives Bill anything and everything he wants at the moment the question is asked.  Because as loyal as Dan might have been to Bruce, there's no question Bill is on a different level, and Bruce would be gone in a heartbeat, as would Jay.  

Exactly the same scenario exists for the NYG. Mara would have fired everybody and offered keys to the kingdom to Bill.  

If there was any shred of truth to it, it would have happened, because either team would have made it happen.  

So, that's a lot more words to say the same thing @ConnSKINS26 said. :P 

23 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

I think Ron pretty much took the same approach in putting his staff together.

I posted this elsewhere, or maybe earlier in this thread.  Of the 11 "main" coaches (OC, QB, RB, OL, TE, WR, DC, DL, LB, DB, STC), 2 of the 3 coordinators are new to Ron (DC and ST), and overall 5 of the total 11 are either holdovers (RB/STC), or outside hires (DC/QB/(I can't remember and too lazy to look it up).

So, sure, there are some holdovers from Carolina.  But there's also about 50% of the direct coordinators and position coaches who are 'new."

What really skews the numbers is I think ALL of the assistant position coaches and the quality control coaches are either from Carolina or are relatives of Ron or Jack.  But those positions turn over every year anyway, so it's not that big a deal.  

Could do wonders for Holcomb’s development if Rivera hires Luke to the staff. 

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports retired MLB Luke Kuechly is "open to the idea" of coaching.

Kuechly is done as a player but wants to "stay involved in some capacity." He could land an assistant role as soon as 2020. A leader on the field during his eight-year career, Kuechly should make an easy transition if he decides to get into coaching.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I posted this elsewhere, or maybe earlier in this thread.  Of the 11 "main" coaches (OC, QB, RB, OL, TE, WR, DC, DL, LB, DB, STC), 2 of the 3 coordinators are new to Ron (DC and ST), and overall 5 of the total 11 are either holdovers (RB/STC), or outside hires (DC/QB/(I can't remember and too lazy to look it up).

So, sure, there are some holdovers from Carolina.  But there's also about 50% of the direct coordinators and position coaches who are 'new."

What really skews the numbers is I think ALL of the assistant position coaches and the quality control coaches are either from Carolina or are relatives of Ron or Jack.  But those positions turn over every year anyway, so it's not that big a deal.  

I believe it was in our exchange. And I posted the number in a table but it was not to say it was a problem. I have no problem with his staff outside i do have a question mark for Scott Turner. Not because of his previous relationship but because to me there is nothing on his resume to suggest he is ready to be an OC. I am perfectly willing (and hopeful actually) to be wrong. I hope he knocks it out of the park. But to me, that's the one head scratcher. 

In the end the mix makes no difference to me. He needs to have who he wants. That's what we have been asking for - bring in a HC, let them clean house and bring their own staff in. We can't get what we want then **** about it.  Well we can and will because we are fans but you get the idea....  🙂  

I expect there to be some surprise cuts in terms of players. We may find out who the trouble makers are that way... or they may just be CAP casualties. Either way, I am looking forward to the next few months so we can see what he wants this team to look like. What kind of identity will they have. 

I liked Jay but I will say this, they never had an identity while he was here outside maybe his 2nd and 3rd yrs. I think that's more to do with Bruce than Jay but either way, the result is the same. The one thing from Ron R, like it or not, you will know early on what type of identity he and the other coaches want this team to have. That in itself will be refreshing. 

17 minutes ago, Darc Requiem said:

@HTTRDynasty  I live in the Charlotte area. Kuechly is a good dude. No one has anything bad to say about the guy. Having a leader like that around would only be a good thing.

I lived in Carolina - more in the Raleigh area but followed Carolina and know people in the Charlotte area. And they would all say exactly the same thing. In fact I have never heard anything bad about Kuechly. He is a great guy and a great player. 

My only concern - that's not a good word, maybe thing to look for is better - about him coming on staff is that great players many times (not always for those about google all the great players who were good coaches) have a hard time being great coaches. Good players? Above average players? Sure. But I see him as a great player. Many times they just have a hard time relating becasue they can do things other people just can't - even other top athletes. And please everyone spare me the anecdotal or small number of times it's been successful. I know who they are. Again, I am not saying it CAN'T happen just that it is not very common. More times than not it doesn't work out. 

Having said that, if Ron thinks he can contribute there would be nothing to lose and everything to gain. So I would be all for it. Just would not be surprised if it didn't work out. 

Archived