Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RON RIVERA AS HEAD COACH

TK

6 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Please dont break out the Super Bowl trophies tomorrow.  

I'm good either way.

It will give my 17 year old son a chance to see what happened in the past and will provide a small measure of hope for what may happen in the future.   

His only memories of greatness is an RG3 clock that use to hang in his room.    😓

Bring out the cake Dan!! 

5 hours ago, tele1 said:

BOOOOOOO !!!! and the dumpster fire keeps burning - AVERAGE at best is Mr Rivera - he'll bring stability but NEVER the pedigree to turn this once proud franchise to being a proper winner

Danny boy has no clue - normally you hire a GM first to build the team including help select the coach

So as always - Snyder has taken another short cut

YAWN

Coching record

6-10
7-9
12-4
7-8
15-1
6-10
11-5
7-9
5-7

Winning percentage of.546......which is exactly average at best LOL

Is that you Bill Callahan?  Or maybe Jay?

I was not particularly enthused about Rivera's hiring. Didn't hate it, and immediately recognized it was an improvement and at least someone "solid", but didn't see a very high ceiling with him based on his overall record. Now, after researching the guy more, listening to interviews and especially hearing the comments of his former players, I'm far more excited. He seems like a good man, first and foremost. A guy with character and the ability to lead by inspiring his players to WANT to succeed for him because they respect him. That to me is the best quality a leader can have. That also has me wondering how a "good man" will do working with this owner. No one has ultimately succeeded, not with any consistency. Still, while I remain a bit wary of the overall record, I'm far more excited today than I was a couple days ago, especially with Del Rio on board as DC. Hopefully Snyder disappears into the mist once all this is set up.

Ron Exit interview speaks to (at 15:50 mark):

Usage of analytics

A GM with shared philosophy

Playing downhill football

The need for a franchise QB. He elaborated on it later at the 26:15 mark. This says to me that if he doesn't like Haskins, we'll see a move.

And for me, the most important aspect of winning is keeping everybody healthy. That's out of his control, but i speculate that he brought that up with Dan and could have helped the release of the medical staff here.

This aligns with what the Redskins need.

If Rivera can take Haskins to the level he got Cam to play at then we are in for a fun ride moving forward. But most importantly, this hiring brings back some credibility to the organization. Hopefully players want to play here and the culture becomes one of class and respect. 

I think we are about to see the best defensive years the Redskins have possibly ever seen and that is gonna be awesome.

What was the reason for Riverboat to sign so fast with us after week 17? Did he not consider other teams? Once week 17 concluded, it was already a signed deal. Sweet pay check? Is it a power/control in the front office? Was no other team interested? Knowing Bruce was getting canned?

Whatever the reason, I think this is a great hire. Even if we don't win with Riverboat, I think he will change the atmosphere in the locker room which could be the foundation of becoming a respectable franchise.

15 minutes ago, mike42 said:

What was the reason for Riverboat to sign so fast with us after week 17? Did he not consider other teams? Once week 17 concluded, it was already a signed deal. Sweet pay check? Is it a power/control in the front office? Was no other team interested? Knowing Bruce was getting canned?

Whatever the reason, I think this is a great hire. Even if we don't win with Riverboat, I think he will change the atmosphere in the locker room which could be the foundation of becoming a respectable franchise.

Pretty sure Dan has been talking to him for the past 5 weeks.......not positive but almost.

I thought the Panthers made a mistake at the time of Riveras firing, i thought that team was built around Cam's unique talents, once that left that team needed to be rebuilt, apparently the Panthers thought otherwise!

I think we did well with this hire under the circumstances, especially when a buddy of mine who's a huge Bengal fan started texting me we were going to hire Marvin Lewis...dodged that bullet!!! 😓

1 hour ago, mike42 said:

I'm curious about this too. I wonder if other teams brought him in his time off? But that would be hard for teams with a HC in place already. So its unlikely. Maybe it was just the fact that Snyder acted fast and he liked what he saw here, particularly Haskins.

29 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm curious about this too. I wonder if other teams brought him in his time off? But that would be hard for teams with a HC in place already. So its unlikely. Maybe it was just the fact that Snyder acted fast and he liked what he saw here, particularly Haskins.

We'll find out at the PC today because he's definitely going to be asked that question.  However, according to twitter guys like Silver who know him, it's the young talent, cap space, power to influence FO to players, his wife/family who are very familiar with the area and money. 

I mean IMO if you look at the other jobs, Cleveland fires their coaches every couple years, Dallas is wishy washy with what they are doing and has power struggles at the top and the Giants roster needs a slew of talent, i.e. defense and run by a doofas GM who is still employed.

It’s all about leverage. Ron knows the situation here and it’s not the best culture nor the most desirable option. The #2 pick plus a lot of player power was probably too enticing to pass up. If Chase isn’t the pick in the draft then you can probably blame Ron for that.

Archived