Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RON RIVERA AS HEAD COACH

TK

2 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Please dont break out the Super Bowl trophies tomorrow.  

I disagree. There is nothing wrong with remembering the past and using it as something to aspire to.

That is what we want to get back. The discipline, teamwork, sacrifice, and work ethic that Joe Gibbs instilled in his teams is something that never goes obsolete. In fact, the day spa attitude of the Gruden era is what we need to reverse. What better thing for players to see every day and think... that's gonna be mine one day.

We don't hide from the best. We seek to better it.

23 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I disagree. There is nothing wrong with remembering the past and using it as something to aspire to.

That is what we want to get back. The discipline, teamwork, sacrifice, and work ethic that Joe Gibbs instilled in his teams is something that never goes obsolete. In fact, the day spa attitude of the Gruden era is what we need to reverse. What better thing for players to see every day and think... that's gonna be mine one day.

We don't hide from the best. We seek to better it.

Agreed.

One of Rivera's biggest challenges will be to reverse, even erase, the "Club Jay" atmosphere that hung on this team like an albatross.

That might include weeding out some players who may be too entrenched in the old ways.

Showing off those trophies as a reminder to the young guys what they are playing for, couldn't hurt.

I don't expect to see them, though.

What I find really interesting is the Skins quick hiring of Rivera has seemed to bring the rest of the league to a stop. No talks of hirings or firings, as I thought would have been a lot of noise this first week. 

11 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

What I find really interesting is the Skins quick hiring of Rivera has seemed to bring the rest of the league to a stop. No talks of hirings or firings, as I thought would have been a lot of noise this first week. 

A lot of teams waiting on coaches from teams still in playoffs

11 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

Well, it’s only just two days after black Monday. Hirings have never happened THAT quickly, and the teams we thought were going to fire the head coach ended up not (falcons, jaguars, etc) which of course will lower the number of hirings needing to be done. 

Plus it was NYE last night and New Year’s Eve today. I think some interviews will happen this weekend. That sounds normal 

22 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

Well, today is a holiday. 🎇

43 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Dan Snyder hires a good coach, HC hires a good DC, but no word on a new GM...

The GM will probably be named after the draft.  

Ron has the power.  Whether or not the GM reports to Ron directly, they're going to evaluate the current group of Kyle Smith, Alex Santos, Doug Williams and then make a determination on the GM when they can hire from outside the organization.

There's really no problem with this. Order is not important, and there is no rush.  Given that Ron is going to have the most authority on the football side, he needs to take his time filling out all of the roles.  

4 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Please dont break out the Super Bowl trophies tomorrow.  

I agree, the trophies come from a different time and era.  A great one, but I’m only interested in tomorrow at this point.  The Washington Redskins have not been those teams or anything that remotely looks like those teams for a long time. 

looking at stephanie riveras posts i love the shes all about supporting the team and community it feels like the 2 are a total team Ron takes care of the team and coaching and shell take care of the out reach and charity.  Complete opposite of SMC;s wife.  Now this has nothing to do with anything and im still hungover but just an observation.

3 minutes ago, tele1 said:

BOOOOOOO !!!! and the dumpster fire keeps burning - AVERAGE at best is Mr Rivera - he'll bring stability but NEVER the pedigree to turn this once proud franchise to being a proper winner

Danny boy has no clue - normally you hire a GM first to build the team including help select the coach

So as always - Snyder has taken another short cut

YAWN

Even making progress to above average would be better than the nonsense we've dealt with. You can have a negative outlook if you want, can't exactly blame you, but this is what we have. 

Oh and San Francisco did not follow the traditional structure of hiring a GM first, that's not a must.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:07 AM, spjunkies said:

Even making progress to above average would be better than the nonsense we've dealt with. You can have a negative outlook if you want, can't exactly blame you, but this is what we have. 

Oh and San Francisco did not follow the traditional structure of hiring a GM first, that's not a must.

Sorry -didn't mean to offend upset people - I'm out

33 minutes ago, tele1 said:

Coching record

6-10
7-9
12-4
7-8
15-1
6-10
11-5
7-9
5-7

I would just point out a few things:

1. Rivera took over a HORRIBLE 2-14 Carolina team which didn't have a QB, or basically any talent. The fact it took him a couple years to get the Panthers really good isn't that surprising. 

2. 3 teams went 10+ wins, and one 15-1 team which went to the SB. That's not bad.

3. The "Bill Belichick's" of coaching records are not ever going to be available.  There was a really small chance Tomlin with his .637 winning percentage might have been available.  But that's about it.  

4.  The other folks who are out there as NFL candidates all have worse winning percentages except for Mike McCarthy.  Marvin Lewis - .518, Mike McCarthy is .618, but that's a bit deceiving.  He took over a pretty damn good GB team and has coached Aaron Rodgers for his entire tenure.  Aaron Rodgers is not in DC.

He's a good coach who has a huge challenge.  I don't know if he's up for it, but unless they landed Riley or Meyer, he's probably the best former NFL coach available.  

Archived