Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RON RIVERA AS HEAD COACH

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

January 1, 2020

REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RON RIVERA AS HEAD COACH

oykfkfpqgpfsl2svnp6t.jpg

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins today announced Ron Rivera as the team’s new head coach.

“After several meetings with Coach Rivera, it was clear he is the right person to bring winning football back to Washington D.C.,” said Dan Snyder, Washington Redskins Owner. “He is widely respected around the league as a man of great integrity and has proven to be one of the finest coaches in the country.”

With more than 20 years of coaching experience, Rivera is a passionate and skilled leader who has earned the respect of his players, coaching staff and the community. He most recently served as the head coach of the Carolina Panthers for nine seasons, where he led the team to three straight divisional titles and an appearance in Super Bowl 50. Rivera was also recognized twice as the NFL Coach of the Year by the Associated Press, in 2013 and in 2015.

“While I love the storied history of the franchise, I am focused on the future and excited for the opportunity to win football games with this talented young team,” said Rivera. “After meeting Dan Snyder, it was clear we are aligned in our passion for the game and he supports my vision to turn the team around. I look forward to surrounding myself with great people and getting to work.”

Rivera began his NFL career as a linebacker for the Chicago Bears in 1984 and became a Super Bowl champion in his second season when the Bears beat the New England Patriots 46–10 in Super Bowl XX. Following nine seasons as a player, Rivera went on to be a TV analyst covering the Bears and college football. Rivera began his coaching career in 1996, ultimately serving on the coaching staffs of the Chicago Bears, Philadelphia Eagles, San Diego Chargers and Carolina Panthers where he earned the respect of players, coaches and fans alike thanks to his football prowess and his dedication to his players, both on and off the field.

In college, Rivera was a consensus All-American linebacker, at the University of California Berkeley, leading the Golden Bears in tackles in his last three years. He once held Cal's all-time sack and career tackles records and still holds the record for most tackles for loss in a season, set in 1983. Rivera was inducted into the Cal Sports Hall of Fame in 1994.

January 1, 2020

RON RIVERA INTRODUCTORY PRESS CONFERENCE

Included below are details pertaining to Head Coach Ron Rivera’s introductory press conference.

WHO:             Head Coach Ron Rivera

WHAT:          Introductory press conference following the hiring of Head Coach Ron Rivera

WHEN:          Thursday, January 2
2:00 p.m. ET

WHERE:       Team Auditorium
Inova Sports Performance Center at Redskins Park

I've always loved the way Ron has coached. This is absolutely amazing..alot of folks saying it's the most excited they have been for a hiring of a coach since Gibbs 2.0..respectfully..I'd say this is Snyder's greatest hire scince he bought the team. All Hail Joe Gibbs..A Redskins God...2.0 was fun...it was...magical..ment to be or not?...not sure..but I think this hiring is even bigger than the gibbs 2.0 hiring.

<wheww!>  I've been holding my breath waiting for a shoe to drop, waiting for something to screw this up, you know, that whole "We HAVE to be cursed!" weight we all carry like Marley's chains. Now that it's official I am.........giddy...... What a way to start the New Year!

Welcome to the family Coach Rivera. 

Intrigued to see how this all plays out going forward. 

Give it everything you have for the cause, every single day, whilst staying humble and maintaining the highest standards of integrity that go hand-in-hand with the honour of being the guardian of this wonderful franchise (if one that has sadly lost its way for much of the last 3 decades) you're now so privileged to be. And in return, you'll get unequivacal backing, from most of us, every step of the way. 

We can't ask for any more than that commitment and dedication to do your best the right way for the Washington Redskins. 

Good luck Coach. 

Now let's get to work! 

Hail. 

Said for years our biggest problem was unqualified gumps and cronies being in charge of this team. We needed leaders and teachers first. That's how you win.

There are a million Pat Shurmur's out there.If you cant get grown men that get paid millions of dollars to follow you, you'll get nowhere.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

This actually is a fantastic answer.  Ron taking the time to interview Kevin O’Connell means it wasn’t discussed with Snyder, and Ron makes the final decision.  If he likes what he hears from KOC, great.  If not, then he can choose his own guy.  

This is refreshing.  And points to MAYBE a change in the way Dan owns the team. 

MAYBE 

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

Please dont break out the Super Bowl trophies tomorrow.  

100% agree. Lets move forward and start a new path. Once we start winning consistently then we can talk about the glory years.

20 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

joe-gibbs-super-bowl-trophies.jpg?width=

;)

Lol Those belong to him, he can do whatever he wants!

It's a pretty small thing, but to me it says something about the mindset of the franchise if they get trotted out tomorrow or stay on the shelf.  We shall see.

27 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Lol Those belong to him, he can do whatever he wants!

It's a pretty small thing, but to me it says something about the mindset of the franchise if they get trotted out tomorrow or stay on the shelf.  We shall see.

I agree, Joe Gibbs won those trophies so makes sense to have them out there. Were the Super Trophies out during Shanny's press conference? Or Gruden's?

Archived