Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Redskins: Ron Rivera, Head Coach

zCommander

27 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Pessimistic? Yes I am very pessimistic. Is there a reason not to be?

Yes and I have been equally pessimistic.  Perhaps take a wait and see approach here because he is showing a "do it different" approach.  If he did assemble the "committee" then he has taken good advice.  Rivera is a very different personality then any coach he has had here, including Gibbs 2.

Look at this team people. The players suck. The owner sucks. Everything about the team sucks down to the name. Things will not get better ever.

Nah can't agree at all.  We have some really good pieces on this team.  The D line has good talent and adding Chase Young is a win.  They need coaches that know how to use and develop players.  The last 6-7 years our D coordinators have sucked. Lets give it time.   Conditioning, training should eliminate a lot of the injuries and clearly passing on guys with that sort of history will help add more good pieces.  Still think Guice will be solid next year.  We have a #1 receiver in Terry M.  I like Sims and Harmon.  My concern is the O line and hope we resign Scherff and that TW comes back.   I think we get a DB in FA.   

*edit* Seems like a good hire though. All the "experts" seem to like it. Rivera clearly has experience. Discipline is something I've been preaching for years. Let's see what happens...I'm skeptical to say the least.

I have read your posts and your right the discipline is definitely going to help here.  It is definitely going to cut down on injuries.  Conditioning is key.   I get the wait and see approach but Rivera is a totally different animal then we have ever had since Dan's tenure as owner began.

1 hour ago, skinsmania123 said:

If your saying he is going to be making key decisions going forward then the team is on the same trajectory.  Period.  Good owners stay the **** out and let their "football" guys make the decisions.   Example # 1 Robert Kraft.  The only time he steps in is if a player or situation is going to tarnish the rep of the brand, i.e. the Antonio Brown crap.

Dan clearly does have a propensity to be sneaky and behind the scenes but it has never worked for him.  Or he pushes his agenda through someone like Bruce Allen. It has been a disaster. If he can't take his big ass ego and sideline it you have the same issues going forward disguised as change.  

Except for Kraft with Jimmy G, right? Where Brady basically asked Kraft to trade him and Kraft mandated Belichick do so despite Belichick's wishes?

Owners are always involved. Always.

Al...

Ways.

It's how they involve themselves that matters. And who they surround themselves with that matters. Snyder/Allen could steamroll Gruden. He was a dead man walking in the last few years as the coach of this team. He didn't have a single leg to stand on. He can't steamroll Riverboat and the Captain. They have such respected reputations around the league that it would be difficult for Snyder to overstep.

Kevin O'Connell will get a shot to stay on as OC according to Ian Rapoport. He cites Rivera as being impressed with Kevin's work with Dwyane. I think keeping Kevin would be a wise decision. I'm really liking this what I see and hear thus far. Rivera and Kevin should be able to get the most out of Dwyane. 2020 is starting out right for Redskins Nation.

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Except for Kraft with Jimmy G, right? Where Brady basically asked Kraft to trade him and Kraft mandated Belichick do so despite Belichick's wishes?

Owners are always involved. Always.

We are talking about degrees of involvement.   They were and continue to win under Brady,  The article where this was revealed is dated January, 2018.  Smart decision by Kraft in retrospect, and one of the very, and I mean very few times he overruled the guy he hired.  When there is log jam or disagreement of course the owner has to step in if that player is a major contributor to your brands success.  It is a business.

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Al...

Ways.

It's how they involve themselves that matters. And who they surround themselves with that matters. Snyder/Allen could steamroll Gruden. He was a dead man walking in the last few years as the coach of this team. He didn't have a single leg to stand on. He can't steamroll Riverboat and the Captain. They have such respected reputations around the league that it would be difficult for Snyder to overstep.

Snyder hired them didn't he?  Because his way was not working.   It is about degrees of involvement and Snyder has been very involved in key and probably moderate decisions.  It is not the place of the owner to do that,  It is not their role.  Apparently his "committee" informed him of that.  

Gruden is the opposite of his brother - passive, a go along guy.  Yeah I have said that over and over.  No kidding he can't steamroll Ron.  that has been posted over and over  in here and some of the proof that he is doing things differently.

Love that Rivera is interviewing O’Connell.  I’d love for him to be given another opportunity and I think it would be easier for Haskins to change schemes down the road vs this next year.  With that said, glad he’s not being forced on Rivera and that Rivera is considering him (which seems a smart move).  

@Warhead36 - agreed about keeping Ike.  

This is an excellent article.  It's comforting to know that outsiders know what the problems are.  That it starts at the very top.  Our only hope for a change is that DS becomes more aware that even writers and experts who don't cover the Redskins understand and will write about the primary problem - owner interference.

I'm not exuberant about the hire of Rivera/Del Rio but I'm not pessimistic either.  We need a couple of years where DS has been kept in his box before I'll start believing in the Redskins again.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-redskins-future-is-already-looking-good-provided-dan-snyder-doesnt-mess-things-up-181157152.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly90LmNvLzFBZWYzMUs1b3U_YW1wPTE&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFNCGm7Br-SEiIr9ZmRgW8MbVv_kOODE2GpfEliaKTIEt-wJwzagyzVMZMVmkJrmAVtMItJHSQ9sfRYkwl90suqmDanJyHn8ZKMRoUEUl7nFUAkSf9GrtfMe_CWU-Hvtxp1LOuApXAfODMNgTQTUnSA3uoyMCfSIUuOSGHAcXUyP&_guc_consent_skip=1577893630

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Pessimistic? Yes I am very pessimistic. Is there a reason not to be?

Look at this team people. The players suck. The owner sucks. Everything about the team sucks down to the name. Things will not get better ever.

*edit* Seems like a good hire though. All the "experts" seem to like it. Rivera clearly has experience. Discipline is something I've been preaching for years. Let's see what happens...I'm skeptical to say the least.

i get the pessimism, part of me still feels the same way. however, things have already gotten better -

1) the season ended

2) allen is GONE

3) Rivera is a monumental upgrade over gruden

4) anyone that the skins havent already employed at DC is better than manusky

She said only 5 will stay and then proceeded to list only 4 ( one with no name) and one of them was someone who left last year.

Yes I know she corrected that kotwica part but I think I'll wait for a report that's much clearer before I start counting my chickens.

• 4 weeks later...

just a little deal

ron was just on gmfb (he's one they call a friend of the show from past appearances, but first time i've seen him on it)

he was ron, and not to read much into anything given the setting, but my take was that he didn't go too rah-rah with the q's about how good is dwayne and the young offense (no real defense talk but i missed a minute of it)...he was what i would call positive but cautious but the one guy he didn't hold back on, comparatively, was scary terry...he showed most enthusiasm there..

also fwiw, ron was fine on a funny shtick they did...imo ron has always been a better media figurehead for a coach than gruden or even shanahan ever was

4 hours ago, Jumbo said:

also fwiw, ron was fine on a funny shtick they did...imo ron has always been a better media figurehead for a coach than gruden or even shanahan ever was

I happened to be watching it, too.   Yeah I think Ron might be the most charismatic and personable coach we've had in eons.    Gibbs was endearing and classy but I don't think as a speaker he's that charismatic.    Shanny has a grumpy side to him and IMO his charisma would come and go.   Jay I found very personable and had a fun loving style about him but he could come off more like the buddy you want to hang out with, have some beers with and joke around but not so much a dude with presence or who seemed like a natural leader. 

Rivera to me is practically a typecast perfect coach as for his persona.  He's articulate.  He's likable and charismatic yet he has a presence about him that gives the vibe that he can instill fear at the drop of a hat.   As a pure personality, Rivera for the moment might be my favorite coach.  As for him being a really good coach -- will see.  I have faith in him but Dan is always the wild card who can spoil the soup at the drop of a hat.  Will see.

My opinion on Dan has changed over the years.  I've mostly not been a fan but my take on his issues has changed over time.  My pet theory at the moment (subject to change 😀) is that he's emotionally very immature, and socially ditto.  And I always think he's impressionable.    I think he was on his best behavior with Gibbs in part because he idolized him and in part because Gibbs is just a remarkable man who oozes integrity.  I think dudes like Bruce and Vinny egged on Dan's dark side because they themselves share some of those traits so they brought out the worst in each other.  My main hope about Rivera is that like Gibbs he oozes integrity so hopefully that rubs off on Dan. 

Or to say it differently, I think Dan has his man crushes even though he's in his 50s.   I think if his man crush centers on Rivera we might be OK.  Will see. 

Archived