Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, Koala said:

I guess Im kinda coming around on Chase Young.  I still just cant shake the feeling that hes gonna be good, but hes not gonna be THAT good.  The problem I see with Chase is that he is as good now as he is ever gonna get, there is no room for improvement as he is already perfected the technical side things.  And hes just not quite the physical freak that Jevon Kearse or Clowney are.

He'll be good, but he is just not gonna be a generational type player in the NFL like he almost was in college.  

Keep in mind I got spoiled at Ohio State, watching Joey and Nick Bosa, Will Smith a generation ago.  But thats why I can see, he is not a cut above those guys.  Hes about the same level, not as strong as Nick Bosa or Will Smith upper body wise, but a little quicker.

If you wanna draft Chase Young  expect someone at the level of Will Smith (DE for saints that got murdered).  Good, but  no Reggie White or L.T. or Sean Taylor level of truly once a generation player.

You know who could be though?  Isiah Simmons.  A LB thats faster than Saquon Barkley or Ezekiel Elliot, and most WRs.  Now THAT is a potential once in a generation type player, with room to grow and the freakish athleticism of Sean Taylor (minus Seans mean streak, which we are just never gonna see again).

I wont complain too much with a perennial 10 sack guy, as long as Simmons stays out of the Giants hands.

I really don't understand your take that Chase is already as good as he's going to get. He's a freak who's still perfecting his toolbox. There's no reason to believe he won't continue to improve with NFL coaching. Von Miller got better once he got to the NFL because he kept perfecting his craft. No reason to think CY will be any different based on what we know about his drive and work habits.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

I really don't understand your take that Chase is already as good as he's going to get. He's a freak who's still perfecting his toolbox. There's no reason to believe he won't continue to improve with NFL coaching. Von Miller got better once he got to the NFL because he kept perfecting his craft. No reason to think CY will be any different based on what we know about his drive and work habits.

Dont get me wrong, I like the fact that hes pretty polished already.  But I also think it means hes close to his ceiling.  Which is a perennial 10 sack guy.  Which is great and all, but people are hyping him like hes the next L.T.  or somn, and therefore wont even consider other options such as Simmons.  Its just a little too much hype IMO, but like I said Im a former OSU fan thats been spoiled.  He is same level as N. Bosa.  Which is very very good.  But not L.T good.

7 minutes ago, Koala said:

Dont get me wrong, I like the fact that hes pretty polished already.  But I also think it means hes close to his ceiling.  Which is a perennial 10 sack guy.  Which is great and all, but people are hyping him like hes the next L.T.  or somn, and therefore wont even consider other options such as Simmons.  Its just a little too much hype IMO, but like I said Im a former OSU fan thats been spoiled.  He is same level as N. Bosa.  Which is very very good.  But not L.T good.

Ryan Kerrigan has basically been "a perennial 10 sack guy". 

Is that the ceiling for Chase?

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Ryan Kerrigan has basically been "a perennial 10 sack guy". 

Is that the ceiling for Chase?

Hes a little better than Ryan Kerrigan.  But I think people also underrate R. Kerrigan.  Perennial 10 sack guys dont grow on trees, its a pretty high compliment.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If it ain't the floor then we need to trade out.

Now thats exactly what im talking about. For that to be the floor, were talking about generational player -- L.T. level.

Hes.somewhere between Kerrigan and Von Miller IMHO.  Which would be fine, but not.good enough to not even consider any.other options but drafting him with #2 pick.  Thats all Im sayin...

I am struck with how consistently everyone seems to praise this kid, teammates, coaches, everyone talks about his work ethic and character, how coachable he is, his loyalty to his teammates, even how he took the suspension when he screwed up. That is just such a huge plus in my book. He shows it so naturally, exchanging techniques with Epenesa at the combine, I genuinely feel like this kid brings so much more than just his play on the field.

• Like 5

Ugh. Many of the mockers are now saying Tua. I hope we get to mock them and choose Young instead. Tua is an incredible prospect, but I can't escape the injury thing. I really think Young could take the defense over the top.

Also, in the short term, there is no way I'm drafting a health risk QB with an o line that is as unsettled as the Redskins.

• Like 3

REPORT: CHASE YOUNG BLEW TEAMS AWAY DURING COMBINE INTERVIEWS

“SEVERAL TEAMS SAID THAT YOUNG WAS IMPRESSIVE DURING HIS COMBINE INTERVIEWS. ‘ELECTRIC,’ IS HOW ONE COACH DESCRIBED THE PRESUMPTIVE NO. 2 PICK IN THE UPCOMING DRAFT. A TEAM PERSONNEL EXECUTIVE WHO MET WITH YOUNG SAID HE WAS ‘SMART, QUICK AND A NATURAL LEADER. HE BLEW US AWAY.'”

Being a dynamo on the field is one thing. Being a player who can change a locker room in a positive way while dominating on the gridiron is quite another. Based on the way people are talking about Young, he’s the latter.

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/03/report-chase-young-blew-teams-away-during-combine-interviews/

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I am struck with how consistently everyone seems to praise this kid, teammates, coaches, everyone talks about his work ethic and character, how coachable he is, his loyalty to his teammates, even how he took the suspension when he screwed up. That is just such a huge plus in my book. He shows it so naturally, exchanging techniques with Epenesa at the combine, I genuinely feel like this kid brings so much more than just his play on the field.

Yeah I commented on this on weeks back. I was listening to a guy who covers Ohio State and he was talking first about Haskins, saying he's mostly a quiet dude, he wasn't critical of him but just said he's not the liveliest guy in the locker room and then he segued to Young and said Young on the other hand is a boisterous dude in the locker room, a leader, lots of a energy that teammates feed off of.

From what I've seen from these players (in training camp), interviews, and media folks, we got some really quiet dudes on defense, most of these guys are understated types:  J. Allen, Payne, Ionnaidis, Holcomb, Sweat, Kerrigan, etc.  Landon Collins has a little personality but even he seems on the laid back side.  Chase I think would bring some energy to that locker room. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

Only the skins would give up on their teenage 1st round QB pick after a half season, to draft an injured flash-in the pan, while overlooking the most dominant player to hit the draft in this generation.

Only skins fans would compare Kerrigan to Young. 

I can't wait to see the dumpster fire that this draft will be.

I rescind it all if this is a smokescreen in case the bengals draft Young #1 overall.

5 minutes ago, jbird said:

Only the skins would give up on their teenage 1st round QB pick after a half season,

He's 22...

to draft an injured flash-in the pan

Ironic that those same words can be used to describe Haskins minus the injured part (though, MUCH more minor than Tua, he did have injury issues last year.) 

while overlooking the most dominant player to hit the draft in this generation.

So he's the best player to be drafted in the last 30 years and he hasn't played a down yet. Huh. Interesting.

Are people doing that? 

It will be fun. 

I rescind it all if this is a smokescreen in case the bengals draft Young #1 overall.

It's not a smoke screen. It's due diligence in the situation that Cincy trades out of 1 to, say, Detroit. Cincy pulls a Cincy and drafts Young or the Skins genuinely don't like Haskins and they love Tua.

Safe betting money is on the Skins taking Young at 2. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

It's not a smoke screen. It's due diligence in the situation that Cincy trades out of 1 to, say, Detroit. Cincy pulls a Cincy and drafts Young or the Skins genuinely don't like Haskins and they love Tua.

Safe betting money is on the Skins taking Young at 2. 

Agree here--due diligence, in case something crazy happens--we can't be caught with our pants down. I still believe, even if someone takes Young ahead of us, we trade back--take the mint of picks, greab Simmons or Okudah, plus eleventy-google picks for the next 3 years or so...

...of course this due diligence didn't stop Rick Snider from whining on the radio about the team not being on the same page again...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Agree here--due diligence, in case something crazy happens--we can't be caught with our pants down. I still believe, even if someone takes Young ahead of us, we trade back--take the mint of picks, greab Simmons or Okudah, plus eleventy-google picks for the next 3 years or so...

...of course this due diligence didn't stop Rick Snider from whining on the radio about the team not being on the same page again...

Rick Snider is simply wishing for some drama, because it is has been surprisingly (and thankfully) absent this off-season.  Gotta have something to stir up the readers and listeners.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Rick Snider is simply wishing for some drama, because it is has been surprisingly (and thankfully) absent this off-season.  Gotta have something to stir up the readers and listeners.

Pretty much all of the 106.7 talking heads are not worth the air they broadcast on--Loverro, Snider, Russell all instantly overreact and bash.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jbird said:

Only the skins would give up on their teenage 1st round QB pick after a half season, to draft an injured flash-in the pan, while overlooking the most dominant player to hit the draft in this generation.

Tua isn't a flash in the pan player. He's been playing at a high level for almost 3 years. Haskins is much more of a flash in the pan as he only had one year of production in college. The issue with Tua is whether he can stay healthy after all of his injuries in the past. I personally don't think he will, and if he does he'll certainly buck the trend of injured college QBs continuing to get injured in the NFL. That being said, while I'm not for us drafting him, I'll root for him to stay healthy because I loved watching him play and he seems like a really good person.

Were people comparing Kerrigan to Young here? To me they have very little in common. But then, very few players have all of the stuff that Chase Young has so that's not necessarily a knock on Kerrigan. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about the draft now that we have decent people in the building. Always wary of Dan trying to meddle but I think he'll have a tougher time pulling that off with Rivera than with Gruden. 

I doubt Cincy will draft CY. Not that they wouldn't like to have him but they are in absolutely dire need of a QB and Burrow is a damn good prospect. No way is Finley the answer and everyone on earth knows that Dalton is going to be gone. Everyone has basically said it. 

On 3/7/2020 at 2:47 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Today I learned a 20 year-old player is as good as he’s ever going to get.  I wonder what that means for a 23 year-old Sweat. 

Ha, ha....most athletes peak at age 20, how could you not have known that? Evil Knievel crashed on every jump he ever made once he turned 21. 

• Haha 2