Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

9 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

One way to make the league think you may take Tua instead of CY is to offer up Haskins in a trade. ....

True, but it would be at the considerable risk of losing whatever's left of Haskins trust in the Redskins heirarchy-- something that might never be restored even if it was a bluff all along.

In my opinion if we start hearing legitimate reports that the Skins are shopping Simba it means that Rivera has decided to trade him.

Until that unlikely, but possible event the Redskins will no doubt publicly deny any interest in acquiring a first round signal caller.

However, that doesn't mean that deep within the bowels of Redskins Park we aren't granularly analyzing and comparing the pro potential of Haskins, Tua and yes, even Burrow. Anything less would be front office malpractice.

Edited by SumTingWong
  • Like 2

Turn the clocks back to the 2002 NFL Draft, when Jack Del Rio was part of the defensive staff in Carolina that took Julius Peppers with the second overall pick. No matter where Del Rio has been, he’s been a stalwart defensive-minded coach that knows how to get his defenses working at a high level, and sometimes an elite level. He’s seemingly always had a premier pass rusher, as well, including Von Miller during his time in Denver and Khalil Mack in Oakland.

We now move to present day, where Jack Del Rio is the new defensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins. It’s his turn to try and turn the Redskins into an elite defense, and he’s got an opportunity to build that defense around the best player in the 2020 NFL Draft, Chase Young. Oddly enough, they’ll be using the second overall pick to tab Young as their edge rusher, thanks to Cincinnati nearly certainly selecting Joe Burrow. If the Redskins trade back or take another player not named Chase Young, it would be one of the more shocking moments in draft history.

It’s no secret that Chase Young has been the best player in college football. In fact, it goes all the way back to his high school days at DeMatha Catholic in Hyattsville, Maryland. According to 24/7 Sports, he was a 5-star recruit and was the seventh-best player in the country. Clearly, he’s been a dominant player on just about any football field he walks on. None of that is going to change as moves on to the NFL. The reason for that isn’t just his 6’5″ and 265-pound frame or his 16.5 sack total from the 2019 season. In fact, it’s pretty simple — Chase Young has the most premier pass rush plan we’ve seen for an edge rusher in quite some time, possibly ever. Let’s jump into some film and see why he’s just so dominant on the gridiron.

Explosive First Step Followed by the Rip Move 

Every football game you watch, there will be some type of defensive lineman trying to jump the snap count. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. For Chase Young, his explosive first step gives him the advantage on just about every offensive tackle he faces. Add in his plethora of pass rush moves, and what you see is what you get.....

https://www.cover1.net/chase-young-the-premier-pass-rush-plan/

• Like 11

On 2/15/2020 at 6:11 PM, SumTingWong said:

True, but it would be at the considerable risk of losing whatever's left of Haskins trust in the Redskins heirarchy-- something that might never be restored even if it was a bluff all along.

In my opinion if we start hearing legitimate reports that the Skins are shopping Simba it means that Rivera has decided to trade him.

Until that unlikely, but possible event the Redskins will no doubt publicly deny any interest in acquiring a first round signal caller.

However, that doesn't mean that deep within the bowels of Redskins Park we aren't granularly analyzing and comparing the pro potential of Haskins, Tua and yes, even Burrow. Anything less would be front office malpractice.

Simba?

I've heard that it's possible that Burrow is possibly not keen on going to Cincinnati.

So what happens if all of a sudden Cincy decides that they're going to shop that pick and see who wants to trade up for Young/Burrow/Tua?

Maybe the Dolphins jump us for a QB or the Giants do for Young.

23 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I've heard that it's possible that Burrow is possibly not keen on going to Cincinnati.

So what happens if all of a sudden Cincy decides that they're going to shop that pick and see who wants to trade up for Young/Burrow/Tua?

then young is still there at 2 or we have burrow fall in our lap(show me the money)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Now that's a scary thought.  The Giants could do that, but I doubt that they would...I hope.😥

On second thought, if the Giants did that now either Burrow or an innumerable amount of very high draft picks fall into the Redskins' lap.

Edited by cakmoney61

Nothing Cinci does at 1 scares me. We either get Chase Young, or solidify our draft haul for Burrow or Tua. 

the worst case scenario in this draft that I can Foresee is Cinci takes Young and we *only* get LAC 1+2+3 and 1+2 in 2021. 

End up with #6, 2/3/3/4/4/5/7/7 this year and 1/1/2/2/3/4/5/6/7 in 2021

Tons of draft capital even in a worst case scenario 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Nothing Cinci does at 1 scares me. We either get Chase Young, or solidify our draft haul for Burrow or Tua. 

the worst case scenario in this draft that I can Foresee is Cinci takes Young and we *only* get LAC 1+2+3 and 1+2 in 2021. 

I guess at #6 we would have to choose between Jedrick Willis, Okudah, or Simmons. Very high chance one of these 3 are available. If we get Willis, we would have to move him to RT if Trent comes back. 

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I guess at #6 we would have to choose between Jedrick Willis, Okudah, or Simmons. Very high chance one of these 3 are available. If we get Willis, we would have to move him to RT if Trent comes back. 

That’s fine. Probably depends on how FA unfolds, but the WR class is so deep idk if you force Jeudy there. Wills or Thomas would be excellent picks. Cut Moses and save $6m and hopefully with Trent and Scherff and Flowers back your OL is top notch. Once Trents contract is up you flip the RT to LT. 

Nobody is reading to #1 for Young.  If they’re going to #1 it’s for a QB. Because the cost of going to #1 is prohibitive unless you’re going up for a QB.  

The only way we don’t get a shot at young is if Cincy drafts him. 

In which case, we have Burrow to either select or trade.  I have to imagine we’d be in a good spot to get a haul for Burrow or Tua at #2. 

The chances of that happening are slim.  Either Burrow goes 1 to Cincy, or they trade the pick to somebody else who picks a QB. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Lets stop with the nonsense of the Bengals not taking Burrow. They're taking him.

Very likely. But as fans, it’s good to have an idea of what WE would do in the situation that they do pass on him. 

Mainly because it’s a good exercise for those of us who would love to be working for a franchise but, more than likely, never will.

Also because anything is possible with the Bengals. But mostly the first thing.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Very likely. But as fans, it’s good to have an idea of what WE would do in the situation that they do pass on him. 

Mainly because it’s a good exercise for those of us who would love to be working for a franchise but, more than likely, never will.

Also because anything is possible with the Bengals. But mostly the first thing.

AND....

Because we have to kill 6 more weeks before whatever is going to happen, ultimately does. 

Not much to talk about if we write it off that it's Burrow @1 and Young @2.  Gotta have some fun in conversation, right? 

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Thanks 1

On draft day the value of QBs always surprises a little.  Several reaches are made for lower tier QBs.  The thought that Burrow won't go number one is silly to me.  Tua any later than #5 would be shocking to me.  Haskins comes to mind as one of the few recent slides (albeit slight).

The Skins are in a no lose situation here.  Take the best player in the draft - a potential generational Edge rusher OR a haul of picks.  I don't see it unfolding any other way.

I have a really really hard time seeing RR or JDR passing on Chase Young unless they got an absolutely insane offer to trade down. Both of those guys, especially JDR, know how important being able to obtain an elite edge guy is after having worked with various ones over the years (Peppers, Von Miller, Khalil Mack). 

On 2/16/2020 at 9:02 PM, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Since you put it this way, I would almost prefer the Bengals to draft Young and take the haul we will get for Burrow. Young becomes the Bruce Smith of the AFC and we draft a slew of players filling holes.