Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Enough said.  No wonder they were pulling players on a dime out of the game against Dallas at the end of the season.  Young might be the first jersey I buy before we  actually draft them.  I am guessing his number here will be #92?😀

I'll be right there with you.  If anyone can exorcise the Haynesworth demons out of that number, he can.

m_5b77c4e89e6b5b72b42d3f35.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Enough said.  No wonder they were pulling players on a dime out of the game against Dallas at the end of the season.  Young might be the first jersey I buy before we  actually draft them.  I am guessing his number here will be #92?😀

I dunno, man. That number just brings back way to many bad memories. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You know Haskins and Terry love the guy too.  :)  

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I swore he was offsides so I went back and stopped it at the instant of the snap.  Yeah that took a few tries but finally I was able to see, he was right on the snap  It's as if he's stealing signs or somethin'

I watched an interview with him where he talked briefly about watching film and it seems like he's very detail oriented about it and focuses a lot on it. Said that if he can tell that a team will usually run one of a few plays out of a certain formation he can anticipate and be that much quicker off the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if he also studies the snap count tendencies out of certain formations, etc so he can get as much of a jump as possible. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

1. Chase Young, Ohio State (6-foot-5, 266 pounds, 4.72 40-yard dash)

Upper Marlboro, Md. (DeMatha Catholic), junior. Age: 21.03 (calculated to nearest 100th on draft day)

A two-year starter at Ohio State, Young rushed off the left and right edges in the Buckeyes’ four-man front, occasionally kicking inside on passing downs, and was accustomed to seeing extra blockers to his side of the field. A tireless student of the game, he stayed productive with a target on his back and attached himself to the hip of legendary defensive line coach Larry Johnson, who helped cultivate his talent, taking him from good to great and great to elite.

Young has impressive athletic twitch, especially for his size/build, keeping his hips, hands and feet in sync to maintain his balance mid-rush. His ease of movement expands his bag of tricks, and he is quick to read blockers, adjusting his attack mid-play instead of predetermining his moves.

Overall, Young not only has the physical ingredients (size, speed, strength), but his technical know-how and diagnosis skills as a pass-rusher are advanced for his age, projecting to the NFL as a freakier version of Bradley Chubb and the best overall player in the 2020 NFL Draft. 

All-22 takeaway: During the draft process, it can be easy to spot who has done their homework and who hasn’t. Like those who say Young “disappeared” down the stretch because he didn’t have a sack in the final three games (at Michigan, vs. Wisconsin, vs. Clemson). That is an immediate indicator of who tracks box scores and who watches the tape. On this play in the Big Ten Championship Game, Young didn’t record a sack, but his get-off and power around the edge forced the incompletion. Sacks are great (and Young led the nation with 16 1/2 sacks in 2019), but affecting the quarterback is a better way to judge pass-rush talent.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 5

Just watched a couple Chase Young highlight videos.  No doubt he is a dominant force; but he is the smallest looking 6'5 265 pounder on film I have ever seen.  He pulled off on many QB sacks and passed up on some big hit opportunities.  Probably coached that way to avoid penalties, but I hope hits Jones, Wentz, and Prescott a lot harder than he hit most of the QBs in college. Looking forward to seeing him in a Redskin jersey.

8 minutes ago, evmiii said:

Just watched a couple Chase Young highlight videos.  No doubt he is a dominant force; but he is the smallest looking 6'5 265 pounder on film I have ever seen.  He pulled off on many QB sacks and passed up on some big hit opportunities.  Probably coached that way to avoid penalties, but I hope hits Jones, Wentz, and Prescott a lot harder than he hit most of the QBs in college. Looking forward to seeing him in a Redskin jersey.

He’s a strip sack artist (absolutely love this about him and is not discussed enough as an important trait for pass rushers) and often gets sacks with his length. Might play a factor in what you’re saying. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

He’s a strip sack artist (absolutely love this about him and is not discussed enough as an important trait for pass rushers) and often gets sacks with his length. Might play a factor in what you’re saying. 

Was about to say this as well. CY even said in an interview that he focused a lot on strip sacks this year. Sure, it can be fun to watch an opposing (especially NFCE) QB get clobbered. However, a strip sack is so much better when it comes to winning the game as we all know turnovers can be a huge factor. Plus, in the NFL a big time college hitter can easily turn into a 15 yard penalty machine. Especially when it comes to hits on QBs. 

As far as his size...I dunno where that comes from. Dude looks pretty damn big to me. Perhaps part of it is because his body seems pretty evenly proportioned and doesn't have much body fat.

The most interesting reasons I've seen for the Skins trading back and not taking Young is the fact that they would have that many 1st round picks on the offensive line. This makes me wonder, if we do want to take Young, would we look to deal either Payne or Allen since they are both 1st rounders too? With Ion and Settle, it would make sense to deal one of two Bama boys for a 1st round pick or a player that could fill a spot at LB or on the 0-line possibly? 

Is having too many 1st round picks on the d-line a real concern moving forward???? I would think it is a legit concern.

45 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The most interesting reasons I've seen for the Skins trading back and not taking Young is the fact that they would have that many 1st round picks on the offensive line. This makes me wonder, if we do want to take Young, would we look to deal either Payne or Allen since they are both 1st rounders too? With Ion and Settle, it would make sense to deal one of two Bama boys for a 1st round pick or a player that could fill a spot at LB or on the 0-line possibly? 

Is having too many 1st round picks on the d-line a real concern moving forward???? I would think it is a legit concern.

Well, you could ask the 49ers that question, since they were in an almost identical situation with #2 last year and facing down Bosa.

Now Solomon Thomas is a bust for the #3 overall pick and their DL was anchored by Dee Ford and Arik Armstead .... but I think that's a good problem to have. Investment in the trenches is where success really starts and ends.

I could see some merit, maybe, to trading Allen or Payne if you sense they're unlikely to be re-signed. But not sure how much you would get in return for those guys. Maybe a 2nd, but at that rate, I think the value of a deep DL is underrated.

Young/Sweat/Kerrigan/Anderson

Payne/Allen/Ionidis/Settle

You are legit 2 deep at each position along the DL. Pretty remarkable. I think you could argue that Kerrigan, Allen, Settle, Anderson would be a serviceable (not great, but serviceable) front 4. And those, in theory, are your backups (Allen/Io/Payne are basically starters in my mind since I assume they'll see even snap counts)

18 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Well, you could ask the 49ers that question, since they were in an almost identical situation with #2 last year and facing down Bosa.

Now Solomon Thomas is a bust for the #3 overall pick and their DL was anchored by Dee Ford and Arik Armstead .... but I think that's a good problem to have. Investment in the trenches is where success really starts and ends.

I could see some merit, maybe, to trading Allen or Payne if you sense they're unlikely to be re-signed. But not sure how much you would get in return for those guys. Maybe a 2nd, but at that rate, I think the value of a deep DL is underrated.

Young/Sweat/Kerrigan/Anderson

Payne/Allen/Ionidis/Settle

You are legit 2 deep at each position along the DL. Pretty remarkable. I think you could argue that Kerrigan, Allen, Settle, Anderson would be a serviceable (not great, but serviceable) front 4. And those, in theory, are your backups (Allen/Io/Payne are basically starters in my mind since I assume they'll see even snap counts)

Yeah, what I'm talking about is the signability of all 4 of the 1st rounders we just took the past 4 years. The talent and depth should make us the scariest d-line in the NFC East for years to come. But the depth makes me wonder if we could get something for one of them? 

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Yeah, what I'm talking about is the signability of all 4 of the 1st rounders we just took the past 4 years. The talent and depth should make us the scariest d-line in the NFC East for years to come. But the depth makes me wonder if we could get something for one of them? 

Allen - 2017 draft - 5th year option/extension needed beyond 2020 (assume we'll take his 5th year)

Payne - 2018 draft - 5th year option/extension needed beyond 2021 (TBD)

Sweat - 2019 draft - 5th year option/extension needed beyond 2022

Young - 2020 draft - 5th year option/extension needed beyond 2023

I think they're staggered just enough so that by the time Sweat is getting his 5th year option/extension you likely have moved on from Ionidis and his $6m APY

By the time you'll have to fork out for Sweat and Chase you probably have to make a decision on whether to trade/release/let go one of these DL but I'm not sure that's something we need to worry about until 2022 or 2023.

I frankly have no clue what Allen or Payne would command on the open market. I think the consensus is that they are quality starters with major upside that hasn't been realized. I think the ability to keep that core together beyond 2022 will be dependent on whether or not Allen or Payne lives up to their potential or continue to just be good but not quite great.

The good news is you will have the 2021 and 2022 to start re-investing in the DL in the mid-rounds if you fear one of those guys will have to be let go. And presumably if you let them walk as free agents.

And even if all 4 of these guys start being monsters, you aren't really going to have to pay market value for Sweat or Chase until 2023 and 2024 (after their 5th year options). That's plenty of time to get a lot of juice (and even 2nd contracts) out of Allen and Payne and have multiple drafts to get some 3rd - 5th round depth pieces that could slide in and provide bargains on the DL to supplement the $$ you'll have to be throwing at the DEs at that point.

I definitely understand your concerns, but I think that's a bridge you cross in 3-4 years. And even at that point, if you have 4 DL needing elite money, it's a good problem to have to have to let one walk v. wishing you had even 1 or 2 good DL, like most teams probably wish.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Agreed.  Also, I notice the 49ers get all the hype (deservedly so), but a similar situation happened in Pittsburgh.  They had 3 1st round picks on their DL/EDGE - Cameron Heyward, Bud Depree, Tyson Alualu but they still decided to draft TJ Watt in the first round in 2017, which was the smartest decision they could have made (we're so fortunate the idiotic Cowboys chose Taco Charlton over him).

Now they have one of the most fearsome DL's and overall defenses (3rd in 2019 DVOA) in the league and Watt is an All Pro.

It's bad luck for them that Big Ben got injured early in the season, but the fact that they were able to finish at .500 with Duck freakin' Hodges as their QB last year shows just how dominant that defense was and the damage they could do as a team with a healthy starting QB.

So we have two recent examples of an All-Pro level player at EDGE being the missing piece in putting a promising DL over the top to elite status.  There's no doubt in my mind that a similar transformation can/will happen here.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Yeah I don't really see any reason why we'd want to deal one of those guys right now. Theyre's still time left on their rookie contracts (and potentially exercising a 5th year,as @JamesMadisonSkinsnoted) and DL is probably the single most important place to be able to have a good rotation of players. 

We need Montez Sweat to realize his draft potential and I think he will. Paired with Chase Young and the bulls up the middle it could get ugly for some QB's....particularly Daniel Jones and Carson Wentz. We should pray for them.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:29 PM, mistertim said:

I dunno, man. That number just brings back way to many bad memories. 

Reggie White was #92.....I like it. 

The truth of the matter is, we draft Chase and not only do you have the "best prospect in years" but you pair him with a very high-end pass rusher in Sweat, backed up by a veteran in Kerrigan and 3 high-end interior DL in Allen, Payne and Ionidis (not to mention quality rotation pieces Anderson and Settle) ... this defensive front 4, at least on paper, is probably #1 or #2 depending on how you view the SF DL. Although the Niners are going to have a harder time keeping their nucleus together with Armstead a FA this year and Dee Ford a FA next year.