Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This is my worst case scenario. We part ways with Trent, panic (again) at having a big hole, and then reach for need, while passing on elite talent.

Certainly a fair assessment. I said replacement at 5, but ultimately it could/should be at 18. Hopefully one of the Top 4 OTs falls there. And to be honest, I am not certain that those guys would necessarily be LTs right away, but at least would be upgrades at RT and would allow you to part ways with Moses a year early.

Penn - Flowers - Roullier - Scherff - Thomas (R)

Christian - Martin - Piershbacher

Look to 2021 to address LT and find your long-term Trent replacement. There's already a couple really good blue-chippers (a lot can change, so we'll see) at OT next year. Presuming any trade-back this year gets at least a 2nd if not a 1st in 2021, we would have the ammo to either trade up, or already be positioned to hit OT next year.

Then you have your LT and RT on rookie deals.

Long-term visioning here. Which I hope this staff is doing!

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Certainly a fair assessment. I said replacement at 5, but ultimately it could/should be at 18. Hopefully one of the Top 4 OTs falls there. And to be honest, I am not certain that those guys would necessarily be LTs right away, but at least would be upgrades at RT and would allow you to part ways with Moses a year early.

Penn - Flowers - Roullier - Scherff - Thomas (R)

Christian - Martin - Piershbacher

Look to 2021 to address LT and find your long-term Trent replacement. There's already a couple really good blue-chippers (a lot can change, so we'll see) at OT next year. Presuming any trade-back this year gets at least a 2nd if not a 1st in 2021, we would have the ammo to either trade up, or already be positioned to hit OT next year.

Then you have your LT and RT on rookie deals.

Long-term visioning here. Which I hope this staff is doing!

That I would be absolutely fine with. The middle to upper middle of the 1st I think is the sweet spot for most of this class's top Tackles (though I'm guessing at least 1 will go top 10). Some really good talent, just no clear cut blue chip prospects worthy of a top 5 pick IMO. 

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Wear 72. We have 7 back, let's go with 72.

In his interview he said being a defensive end isn't jsut about sacks "it's about being the most destructive player on the field." I love this man already.

Please, please, please i hope it's 72 if we draft the beast

• Like 1

I think the Tua hype is going to be through the roof by draft day.  We see it every year.  It's all about the QBs.  As insanely good as Young is his "proper" slot may end up being #3. 

I believe anyone trading up to #2 is going to be targeting Tua.  Is it theoretically possible to trade back for a king's ransom and then simultaneously trading back up with much or most of that ransom to #3 while coming out net ahead?  Basically on the phone with at the same time with team that wants Tua and Detroit at the same time. 

I don't understand why all these analysts, particularly on the NFLN believe that Tua at 2 is the way to go.  I know they have a bunch of needs, but they can address some in free agency and then in the draft.  Passing on Young is not the way to go especially with a defensive minded head coach in Rivera

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

I don't understand why all these analysts, particularly on the NFLN believe that Tua at 2 is the way to go.  I know they have a bunch of needs, but they can address some in free agency and then in the draft.  Passing on Young is not the way to go especially with a defensive minded head coach in Rivera

Mel Kiper was pushing it yesterday on First Take and all ESPN/NFL sports media were all over it today.  It's silly really that one guy can spin things up like that but the news cycle is slow until FA.  Even on Cowherd he had it as "anonymous scout" because Kiper works for ESPN so it's just something to talk about.

The other thing is potential talking up that #2 for trades.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kwitt said:

I think the Tua hype is going to be through the roof by draft day.  We see it every year.  It's all about the QBs.  As insanely good as Young is his "proper" slot may end up being #3. 

I believe anyone trading up to #2 is going to be targeting Tua.  Is it theoretically possible to trade back for a king's ransom and then simultaneously trading back up with much or most of that ransom to #3 while coming out net ahead?  Basically on the phone with at the same time with team that wants Tua and Detroit at the same time. 

Not gonna happen. Detroit would absolutely LEAP at the chance to get Chase Young. Their pass rush was abysmal and a guy like that would instantly transform it. They probably wouldn't even talk to us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

They need storylines and having both 1 and 2 set months in advance doesn't make for riveting television.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Not gonna happen. Detroit would absolutely LEAP at the chance to get Chase Young. Their pass rush was abysmal and a guy like that would instantly transform it. They probably wouldn't even talk to us. 

Well it isn’t an impossible scenario. I think Patricia is 4 games from the hot seat. 6 from the couch. He could pull a harbaugh and trade up to ensure he gets Tua, and a little more time on the clock. 

It would have to be in writing of course.., but: 

Redskins trade #2 to Detroit for #3 and Derius Slay. 

Detroit selects: Tua

Washington selects: Young

Edited by Skin'emAlive

21 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Well it isn’t an impossible scenario. I think Patricia is 4 games from the hot seat. 6 from the couch. He could pull a harbaugh and trade up to ensure he gets Tua, and a little more time on the clock. 

At 29 and on the last year of his deal, I don't really see the point of Slay. Dude is gonna want 13-15 per year MINIMUM for his early 30 years. We've been down that road before. No thanks. If anything I can see Slay being traded to a team like KC or Philly.

19 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

At 29 and on the last year of his deal, I don't really see the point of Slay. Dude is gonna want 13-15 per year MINIMUM for his early 30 years. We've been down that road before. No thanks. If anything I can see Slay being traded to a team like KC or Philly.

Agree....Slay is Trent, older player looking to cash in. If Detroit wants Tua then we'll take their  1st this year plus #2 this year and a #2 next year for them to move up...

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I don't think this happens but Skins keep pushing the Tua narrative and get Miami to work out a trade up with Detroit then flip picks with Miami for one of their 2nds.

We still end up with Chase and pick up a 2nd.

Edited by HigSkin

14 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Agree....Slay is Trent, older player looking to cash in. If Detroit wants Tua then we'll take their  1st this year plus #2 this year and a #2 next year for them to move up...

Except Trent plays a position where you don't fall off a cliff at 30. Corners are all toast by 30 at the latest. Even Patrick Peterson feels like in major decline and he's younger than Slay!

If Detroit wants Tua, i'll flip with them and take their 2nd. There needs to be a guarantee in the trade though. I don't even know if that's something they're allowed to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

There needs to be a guarantee in the trade though. I don't even know if that's something they're allowed to do.

That's an interesting thought.  I could swear I've heard of teams in some sport doing it before.  Maybe NBA?  And the players were already signed and traded and cash was involved or something?

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

It would have to be in writing of course..

I've heard this idea before, but I'm not sure why Detroit would make this deal.  They only trade based on the perception that they won't get their QB.  If they are required to sign off on not taking Young, then that perception is gone.  If they know for a fact that the Redskins are targeting Young, then they also know that they can wait and get their guy at 3.  The only way they trade up is if think we're willing to give up Young.  

6 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

If you believe Tua is a superior QB to Haskins, then you draft him. QB is the single most important position on a team. 

A dominant pass rusher is nice, but Khalil Mack is never going to win a SB for Chicago. 

4 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

If you believe Tua is a superior QB to Haskins, then you draft him. QB is the single most important position on a team. 

A dominant pass rusher is nice, but Khalil Mack is never going to win a SB for Chicago. 

Nor is Trubisky and he went #2

Also, I personally feel The #2 pick is worth more as a trade down value than Tua. I see it as:

1) Young

2) Trade down

3) Tua

i would much rather have Herbert, #18 pick and another pick in the 2nd than Tua

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Nor is Trubisky and he went #2

When you draft a QB that high the goal is for them to become a franchise QB. Turns out Trubiski is not that, but it doesn't change the fact that you need a top tier QB to get to the show. They had to try. 

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

When you draft a QB that high the goal is for them to become a franchise QB. Turns out Trubiski is not that, but it doesn't change the fact that you need a top tier QB to get to the show. They had to try. 

You do, but at the end of the day, having a bust QB at 2 is more detrimental to a team than a bust DE at 2.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

You do, but at the end of the day, having a bust QB at 2 is more detrimental to a team than a bust DE at 2.

and having an elite QB at #2 is more beneficial than having an elite DE at #2. Works both ways.

the reality is, nobody thinks Young is a bad pick. He would a great pick. We just have options. Hopefully our free agency approach is aggressive and we get the balance and selections correct.

we are in a good position and can improve vastly with different various plans/options at our disposal.

8 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I don't think this happens but Skins keep pushing the Tua narrative and get Miami to work out a trade up with Detroit then flip picks with Miami for one of their 2nds.

We still end up with Chase and pick up a 2nd.

Good, creative thought and who knows could happen. I think Skins will milk the Tua narrative right up to the draft.  My thinking is that Detroit is the team that wants Tua and we end up trading with them and get a 2nd round pick for them moving up to get him.  Skins want Young and he will be a Skin and we end up with a 2nd round pick.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moboy36 said:

I've heard this idea before, but I'm not sure why Detroit would make this deal.  They only trade based on the perception that they won't get their QB.  If they are required to sign off on not taking Young, then that perception is gone.  If they know for a fact that the Redskins are targeting Young, then they also know that they can wait and get their guy at 3.  The only way they trade up is if think we're willing to give up Young.  

I still think the draft will begin a pick #3.  If I'm Detroit, I would sit still and let Burrow, Young, or Tua simply fall in my lap.  At that point, they have all the leverage to make a trade for multiple picks or take the player that falls to them.  If they simply take the player that falls to them, then the draft will start at pick #4.

• Like 3