Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

I think people did like Herbert but we're too embarrassed to admit it.  If I remember the general consensus was Chase at #2 and if you disagree than you're a flipping idiot.  I'm not going into the Haskins thing because that was addressed in others threads.  But Arizona answered the question in the 19 draft.  If you have a top 3 pick....draft a QB!  What we did was so stupid in hindsight.  But I think we will have another top 3 pick this draft for redemption.  

• Confused 1

I voiced this concern early in his rookie season.  At OSU he blew off the line and beat the tackle to the edge constantly. It's in a whole lot of his highlight plays.   This is the go-to move for most every great pass rushing DE.  Chase has been trying to get the edge all season, and he is constantly run behind the QB by the OT.  I have big concerns that this won't change.  

• Thumb up 1

Catastrophic if Chase doesn’t become a top 5-10 pass rusher in the NFL. No way did I imagine 1.5 sacks half way through the year, but I’m going to trust what my eyes saw last year and blips this year and continue to expect not hope he becomes All pro level. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Llevron said:

Bellicheck is famous for calling guys out publicly. If you specifically mean in the media then I guess that's a bit different. But even then those were such kid gloves it barley hurts. 

Parcells did it with Demarcus Ware in his rookie season.  After a pre-season game where Demarcus had some big plays, reporters were asking Parcells of he is excited about what he saw.  Parcells made a comment like 'you guys need to put away the anointing oil on him.  He has a lot of bad plays too.  He has a ways to go'.   Something along those lines.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

Wow!!!!!  Ridiculously talented, but I question her decision-making.  She should have painted someone proven or of legendary status like Darrell Green or Sean Taylor or a laundry list of other WFT players (and maybe she has).

If Chase ends up having a HOF career, the painting will exponentially increase in value.  As of this moment, it has very little value.  Her talent, however, is undeniable.

I don't question her decision-making.  It's a portrait of him standing around.  I'm assuming he's looking at someone else making a play.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The consensus was Tua and that would have been a mistake. Yes, Herbert would have been fantastic, but I doubt anyone was taking him at 2. 

Sure Tua might have been the pick but give me a guy who has played multiple seasons which Herbert did at Oregon. It’s the Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf situation.

Obviously this is a pointless opinion but MY POINT is always take a qb with a top 2 pick. You may miss but if you hit you have a guy who will actually be a game changer, not a defensive player who did nothing in his biggest college game and was a complete non factor. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel.redskins said:

I think people did like Herbert but we're too embarrassed to admit it.  If I remember the general consensus was Chase at #2 and if you disagree than you're a flipping idiot.  I'm not going into the Haskins thing because that was addressed in others threads.  But Arizona answered the question in the 19 draft.  If you have a top 3 pick....draft a QB!  What we did was so stupid in hindsight.  But I think we will have another top 3 pick this draft for redemption.  

This is silly. Nobody was "embarrassed" to admit it; this isn't high school or something. There were plenty of people who were open to going QB, but it was mostly Tua they were debating for. Herbert was seen as talented but there were questions about how well his game would translate to the NFL and that his accuracy and decision making seemed to be somewhat on and off. 

• Like 2

As I recall, there some Washington fans who were a little worried the Bengals might select Young instead of Burrow.  At the time, Young was often being titled as the generational talent worthy of being the 1st pick in the draft.  Burrow's success that season kept moving him up to the point he was the only other real competitor for the overall 1st pick.  For various reasons the draftniks had slid Herbert further down...

I cannot imagine a scenario where Washington would have been willing to use the 2nd pick oversll, foregoing Young, to draft a QB whose game, pundits claimed, might not fit well in the NFL.--especially after having used a first rounder in Haskins, the up-&-coming potential Franchise QB with a glittering record of success while at Ohio State, and still paying former 1st rounder Alex Smith who supposedly planned to be able to play in the 2020 season.  The only QB being mentioned was maybe picking up Tua, and waiting to see how well he'd recovered....  But Chase seemed to be the consensus choice, and at the time that seemed a no-brainer.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Wyvern said:

As I recall, there some Washington fans who were a little worried the Bengals might select Young instead of Burrow.  At the time, Young was often being titled as the generational talent worthy of being the 1st pick in the draft.  Burrow's success that season kept moving him up to the point he was the only other real competitor for the overall 1st pick.  For various reasons the draftniks had slid Herbert further down...

I cannot imagine a scenario where Washington would have been willing to use the 2nd pick oversll, foregoing Young, to draft a QB whose game, pundits claimed, might not fit well in the NFL.--especially after having used a first rounder in Haskins, the up-&-coming potential Franchise QB with a glittering record of success while at Ohio State, and still paying former 1st rounder Alex Smith who supposedly planned to be able to play in the 2020 season.  The only QB being mentioned was maybe picking up Tua, and waiting to see how well he'd recovered....  But Chase seemed to be the consensus choice, and at the time that seemed a no-brainer.

And 98% of this fan base wanted us to lose as many games as possible to help guarantee we'd get him.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Wyvern said:

I was actually hoping Cincy would take Young #1. Then it's easy. Take Burrow.

Ironically (or not), had Washington had the first pick in the draft I'd have been championing Burrow. Young did have some issues on tape, which I talked about back then, but he also showed tremendous amounts of talent and one hell of a motor. He is clearly a tremendous prospect. The problem with us in that draft was that we were second. If we were third the choices are much different. Young is likely gone. If not, two QBs are likely gone.

If we are 1, you take Burrow. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Sure Tua might have been the pick but give me a guy who has played multiple seasons which Herbert did at Oregon. It’s the Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf situation.

Obviously this is a pointless opinion but MY POINT is always take a qb with a top 2 pick. You may miss but if you hit you have a guy who will actually be a game changer, not a defensive player who did nothing in his biggest college game and was a complete non factor. 

If you could show posts of yours promoting Herbert at #2 before the draft then you have the right to continue down this road.  But I highly doubt you had the position pre-draft.  

I'm as big of a "Must Have a Franchise QB" guy as there is. But you can't just say drafting a defensive player over a QB, any QB, is always a mistake. Did the Giants make a mistake when they drafted LT at 2?  Would the Browns be better off had they taken Tribisky over Miles Garrett?  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Would the Browns be better off had they taken Tribisky over Miles Garrett?  

That's my biggest fear this year. There is some seriously elite defensive talent that is going to be at our first pick. O Line also, which is a huge need. LT.

Do we want to pass on the next Trent Williams, Deon Sanders, Ed Reed to pick a Cade Keenum that will hold us back for the next 2 or 3 years?

"Always a QB?" that's a reach. 

• Like 6

Rivera openly said wed take Burrow if he fell to 2 or if we picked 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's my biggest fear this year. There is some seriously elite defensive talent that is going to be at our first pick. O Line also, which is a huge need. LT.

Do we want to pass on the next Trent Williams, Deon Sanders, Ed Reed to pick a Cade Keenum that will hold us back for the next 2 or 3 years?

But it works both ways. That same argument was used to draft Young in 2020 but now its looking like we might have passed on a Peyton Manning for a lesser Brian Orakpo(in fairness I was definitely championing for Young). 

My guess is well go after a vet in FA/trade anyway and well end up drafting like a freaking Safety with our top 5 pick.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Rivera openly said wed take Burrow if he fell to 2 or if we picked 1

But it works both ways. That same argument was used to draft Young in 2020 but now its looking like we might have passed on a Peyton Manning for a lesser Brian Orakpo(in fairness I was definitely championing for Young). 

My guess is well go after a vet in FA/trade anyway and well end up drafting like a freaking Safety with our top 5 pick.

I'd be so ****ing happy if we somehow draft Hamilton. That would be ****ing awesome. Then maybe we can get back into the top of the first to grab Howell or Strong slips to the second. 

He's a single high monster who tackles, hits and is a ball hawk. He's a hard worker that lives football. 

He is exactly what we need on defense.

• Like 1

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nfl-has-a-new-way-to-measure-the-explosiveness-of-pass-rushers/

Our EDGE duo is not nearly as high on this list as you’d like given their freakish athleticism. 

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It really just depends on the QB prospects in question, and it’s always a risk. But Young was that type of prospect and he’s not altering the franchise’s trajectory the way the right QB can. We had Trent Williams for most of his highly-decorated career and did nothing of note the entire time he was here. 

Swinging on a QB and ending up with only an average starter is probably still a better value proposition than passing on a potential franchise QB and ending up with a S, LT, or EDGE who is just a good player. HOF talent and production is never guaranteed, at any position, but the value gain of hitting on a QB even once makes the risk worth it a high percentage of the time. This team is going nowhere with another great LT, or great S, or even another Chase Young. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nfl-has-a-new-way-to-measure-the-explosiveness-of-pass-rushers/

Our EDGE duo is not nearly as high on this list as you’d like given their freakish athleticism. 

It really just depends on the QB prospects in question, and it’s always a risk. But Young was that type of prospect and he’s not altering the franchise’s trajectory the way the right QB can. We had Trent Williams for most of his highly-decorated career and did nothing of note the entire time he was here. 

Swinging on a QB and ending up with only an average starter is probably still a better value proposition than passing on a potential franchise QB and ending up with a S, LT, or EDGE who is just a good player. HOF talent and production is never guaranteed, at any position, but the value gain of hitting on a QB even once makes the risk worth it a high percentage of the time. This team is going nowhere with another great LT, or great S, or even another Chase Young. 

I don't disagree, but you absolutely need talent. Pick number 2 in the 20 draft absolutely had a better year than the QB taken first and the LT was a direct cause of that.

You need a QB. I feel like every post that makes any kind of point not all in exclusively on QB needs that disclaimer.

You also need talent. Stafford couldn't carry a bad Lions team that collapsed without him, but on a stacked Rams team, they'll probably win the SB.

You have to have the QB, yes, but it's still a team and passing on possibly elite talent for mediocre QBs doesn't make you a great team, it makes you mediocre, which is admittedly an improvement.

I brought this before we drafted him and felt ignored: 

Reggie White's last college game he knocked out Boomer Esiason and his team won the game. 

Reggie was a game wrecker his last game in college, Young was not.  Comparing the two shouldve stopped right there.

Edited by Renegade7

25 minutes ago, max21 said:

Make your Money now Chase, you won’t be getting a bag anytime soon. 1.5 sacks lmfao 

Im not one who generally gets bent out of shape when people speak freely. And I won’t here. But that’s not the best thing to say given the current situation with his play. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1