Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

19 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I'm probably the most disappointed in him when I noticed him jogging casually to the pile on his side of the field instead of sprinting full speed like he used to. 

I assume the rest of being a top DE in the NFL is hard and requires some practice. But that part is just effort and he used to give it. Part of what made him special to me was that he tried hard. Yea he was crazy athletic and fast for his ridiculous size but on top of that he out tried you. I don't notice him doing that kind of stuff anymore. He set a tone on D that we miss imo. 

I mentioned this earlier as well.  It seems that once the play is past him, he’s done trying.  Not just once or twice where he may have been gassed or whatever, but this has been a regular occurrence this season.  

He’s wearing a C on his chest.  If we are seeing this in live action and in cut-ups on Twitter, you know it’s seen in the position rooms on film.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Everyone just wants to be able to say they were first to label his outcome.  And everyone probably has a different definition of the word "bust."

Just need to see if he can make any improvements next year.  Above all else, no one here has any ****ing patience whatsoever, which is hilarious considering how long this ****box franchise has demanded us to be patient.  

I can see us drafting a quarterback next year, he plays 2 mediocre games and people are already calling for his head.  

That will absolutely happen. All these "I'm done for real this time" fans who swear off the team then get mad when we lose a close game are really annoying.

Saying a player sucks and is a bust then saying we should trade them is annoying AF too.

Chase is having a solid year for a DE and he's one of the leagues best still, but the sacks aren't there, so he must suck. After a decade of Kerrigan wiffing on screens and PA passes then loading up on numbers against the Eagles has spoiled us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's getting old, bro.

I’m glad we agree, bro.

Heres a clue, if your first instinct after the game is to come here and post his stat line AFTER HE MADE THE PLAY TO GIVE THE TEAM A SECOND LIFE, you have an agenda.

Edited by PartyPosse

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Everyone just wants to be able to say they were first to label his outcome.  And everyone probably has a different definition of the word "bust."

Just need to see if he can make any improvements next year.  Above all else, no one here has any ****ing patience whatsoever, which is hilarious considering how long this ****box franchise has demanded us to be patient.  

I can see us drafting a quarterback next year, he plays 2 mediocre games and people are already calling for his head.  

There is truth to this.  But the lack of patience also stems from seeing so many guys make immediate impacts.

Also, all bad games are not equal, particularly for QBs.  If you see glimpses of greatness, the physical tools are there,and they look like they belong it’s easier to overlook the mistakes caused by lack of experience.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I mentioned this earlier as well.  It seems that once the play is past him, he’s done trying.  Not just once or twice where he may have been gassed or whatever, but this has been a regular occurrence this season.  

He’s wearing a C on his chest.  If we are seeing this in live action and in cut-ups on Twitter, you know it’s seen in the position rooms on film.  

I'm glad I'm not seeing things. I've noticed it all season too. There are plays like right next to him where a rb is fighting for extra yards or a scrum is forming and he'll just watch it or jog to it. It's just strange to me. It almost like he's saving up all his energy for his speed rush to get sacks and hustling will just tire him out. If I recall correctly I think 3 of his 4 tackles yesterday were when the running back just ran right in to him at the line of scrimmage.

15 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m glad we agree, bro.

Heres a clue, if your first instinct after the game is to come here and post his stat line AFTER HE MADE THE PLAY TO GIVE THE TEAM A SECOND LIFE, you have an agenda.

It was a great play, no doubt about it.  But it also doesn't make up for the other 59.5 minutes of football where he didn't do much else.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Chase just doesn't impact the game like he should as a #2 pick. 1.5 sacks through 8 games? Fine. But he lacks pressures and QB hits as well. 

Most pass rushers have lackluster rookie seasons but their 2nd season is typically better. Chase is worse in his second season than his rookie season, that's not good. 

Totally agree but we can’t discount the affect nfl rules for qbs have impacted chases ability to disrupt a game.  Earlier in the season I seem to remember him getting called for a couple bs unnecessary roughness or roughing the passer penalties.  Not saying this is the reason because all players have had to adjust….just seems he’s lost some aggression 

Edited by Stone Cold

Seems like he is actually trying to avoid an injury......sounds wierd but he backs off and avoids contact when he thinks it's not necessary in some instances. Strange....I want him to punish mother ****ers....that's what bad ass football players do......he seems lackadisical at times. 

Edited by tmandoug1

2 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Seems like he is actually trying to avoid an injury......sounds wierd but he backs off and avoids contact when he thinks it's not necessary in some instances. Strange....I want him to punish mother ****ers....that's what bad ass football players do......he seems lackadisical at times. 

I do think he’s in his own head about roughing the QB penalties.

I haven't studied it but just a theory on this.  Some teams are more inclined to chip on their right side more, often the strong side, often the running side of the offensive.  The TE often playing on the strong side which again is often the right side.   On the left it could be more Chase versus the LT straight up.

Also IMO Allen > Payne as a pass rusher.  Allen usually plays on the right side so Chase would be rushing by his side.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2021 at 3:32 PM, 86 Snyder said:

He's tied for 112th in sacks and 84th in tackles for loss on a bottom 5 defense in the league.  But please, tell me more about how he's having a solid year and still one of the leagues best.  **** outta here.

Yeah I don't see how any of this translates into Chase Young being one of the best DL in the league.  I was as big a Chase guy as anyone here but to ignore the obvious is disingenuous.  And right now it should be obvious that he is just a guy.   A guy who is committing the mortal sin of not trying hard enough.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

6 minutes ago, kwitt said:

Chase Young needs to be asked how skipping OTA's has worked out for him this season.  Repeatedly.

Want to be a team captain...lead by example on and off the field. Be among the first arrivals to team events....OTA's included!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I don't see how any of this translates into Chase Young being one of the best DL in the league.  I was as big a Chase guy as anyone here but to ignore the obvious is disingenuous.  And right now it should be obvious that he is just a guy.   A guy who is committing the mortal sin of not trying hard enough.  

I don't think it's Chase not trying hard enough. IMO it's more him deciding to spend the offseason working on his athleticism (which is already elite) instead of working on refining his pass rush moves, repertoir, and counter-moves (which needed work).

It's akin to an athletic freak WR coming in to the NFL, having a really good rookie season where his athleticism shined and his route running, while decent, definitely needed refining for him to truly become elite, and him then spending the whole offseason trying to improve his athleticism instead of focusing like a laser on his route running.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I don't think it's Chase not trying hard enough. IMO it's more him deciding to spend the offseason working on his athleticism (which is already elite) instead of working on refining his pass rush moves, repertoir, and counter-moves (which needed work).

It's akin to an athletic freak WR coming in to the NFL, having a really good rookie season where his athleticism shined and his route running, while decent, definitely needed refining for him to truly become elite, and him then spending the whole offseason trying to improve his athleticism instead of focusing like a laser on his route running.

Could be.  The term sophomore slump exists in all sports for a reason.  I am a believer in Chase.  If I had to come up with a criticism of him is its becoming clear when Rivera talked about worrying about players believing that they arrived and worried about maturity on that front -- its clear Chase is part of that soup, seems like Sweat, too judging by Rivera's recent comments.

Chase though has so much desire to be great that I think he'd bounce back.  Might not be this season but it still could be this season. 

17 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Can we rename this thread The LEGEND of Chase Young yet? Sorry...had to. This thread is identical in arguments.

Except one guy lacks the physical tools and the other has them all in spades.

For example, if Heineke could physically make all the throws, folks would be more inclined to accept the growing pains.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Could be.  The term sophomore slump exists in all sports for a reason.  I am a believer in Chase.  If I had to come up with a criticism of him is its becoming clear when Rivera talked about worrying about players believing that they arrived and worried about maturity on that front -- its clear Chase is part of that soup, seems like Sweat, too judging by Rivera's recent comments.

Chase though has so much desire to be great that I think he'd bounce back.  Might not be this season but it still could be this season. 

Yeah that's definitely a big thing he has going for him, and I think he'll bounce back as well.

However, to do that he's going to have to realize that doing a stutter step and then a side scissors hand swipe on 85% of his pass rushes while relying on his athleticism to get him home isn't going to be enough in the NFL.

IMO if he wants to take the next step he's going to need to spend less offseason time working on his ankle flexibility or speed and more of it working with pass rushing gurus so he can develop his repertoire, counter-moves, and overall plans of attack.

Otherwise he'll just end up as the next Clowney. Amazing athlete and a good but not great or elite pass rusher.

27 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

For example, if Heineke could physically make all the throws, folks would be more inclined to accept the growing pains.

Yep if Heinicke won rookie of the year in season 1, was a freak talent, taken 2nd in the draft, and took a step back the next season -- then it would be apples to apples. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Except one guy is expected to have all the tools and doesn't. Can't Sack the QB, has a one trick pony move. Took OTA's off with Sweat and they are way off from expectations. Show me!

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

You mean besides the fact that the Chase Young and Taylor Heinicke situations have literally zero in common?

What? Heinicke 0 expectations, Chase "generational talent" Young all the expectations but hasn't produced with 3 other 1st round picks down the line.....please. Heinicke is not the answer and as it turns out neither is Chase. Trade him and Heinicke for Watson. 

• Thumb down 1