Sacks 'n' Stuff

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Recommended Posts

Ehhhh I'd say Clowney is his floor. But his ceiling is beyond Garrett's.

Edited by JoggingGod
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Ehhhh I'd say Clowney is his floor. But his ceiling is beyond Garrett's.


Chase is nothing like Jadaveon, as a player. Clowney probably will have better athletic testing numbers, but he was always stiff, lacked pss rushing refinement and didn’t produce As a pass rusher in college, at an elite level. 
 

I think Chase’s floor is probably Joey Bosa. Ceiling is too high to talk about without making silly comparisons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Ask anybody at any level of Ohio State’s defense, and they’ll hail Chase Young as somebody who makes their job easier. 
 

Linebackers mention the focus offensive linemen have on Young, allowing them to play with more freedom. Cornerbacks go on about Young minimizing the time they need to remain in coverage. Safeties tout Young forcing offenses to rely on quicker-hitting route combinations. Defensive ends talk about his pass-rushing acumen freeing them up for one-on-ones on the other side of the line of scrimmage. Defensive tackles reference his ability to eat up blockers, giving them more room to operate on the interior. 

“His presence matters,” Ryan Day said on Dec. 3 a couple days after Ohio State beat Michigan.

 

“Although sometimes maybe it doesn't mean he's getting sacks or TFL's, when two or three guys get the attention of him, that opens up things for other guys. (Jonathon Cooper) getting a sack, that max protection where the whole line was sliding his way. That's part of the impact Chase has on a game.”

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/12/110729/ohio-state-needs-secondary-pass-rushers-to-step-up-alongside-chase-young-to-slow-down-trevor-lawrence%3famp

I am hopeful that Young is the kind of player who can be moved around all over the defensive line but someone on this site told me that's not the case. Would be great for coordinators to have no clue where he's gonna line up on any given play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zskins said:

 

 Lol.... Actually a player who is able to play two different positions.

Or a player that is big at one position (Safety) and small for the other(LB).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I am hopeful that Young is the kind of player who can be moved around all over the defensive line but someone on this site told me that's not the case. Would be great for coordinators to have no clue where he's gonna line up on any given play. 

 

He can definitely be that kind of player.  That's what SF does with Bosa and what GB does with Z. Smith.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I am hopeful that Young is the kind of player who can be moved around all over the defensive line but someone on this site told me that's not the case. Would be great for coordinators to have no clue where he's gonna line up on any given play. 

 

Why would that not be the case? DCs do it all the time (well, good ones do) to create mismatches and confusion. I don't see why JDR wouldn't do so with a guy like Chase. They did it with him at OSU. Not doing so would be like having a Queen on a chessboard and only moving it backwards and forwards. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me tell you something about Chase.  I am a PSU fan, this year I honestly thought we were going to make a huge comeback, OSU was in trouble, momentum changed totally after their fumbles.  Then Chase took over.  I mean he took over the damn game.  Penn State simply couldn't block him period.  He took his game in that 4th quarter another two levels up there.  I WANT this guy on our team.  With him in there rotating with Sweat and Kerrigan, plus the 3 monsters in the middle of the line and our new DC, plus Foster as one of the LBs I see us going from mid 20s D to top 5.  Yes I said top 5.  Unless someone goes totally stupid and offers 3 number ones and their 2nd this year I don't want to even think about us not taking this guy.

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Let me tell you something about Chase.  I am a PSU fan, this year I honestly thought we were going to make a huge comeback, OSU was in trouble, momentum changed totally after their fumbles.  Then Chase took over.  I mean he took over the damn game.  Penn State simply couldn't block him period.  He took his game in that 4th quarter another two levels up there.  I WANT this guy on our team.  With him in there rotating with Sweat and Kerrigan, plus the 3 monsters in the middle of the line and our new DC, plus Foster as one of the LBs I see us going from mid 20s D to top 5.  Yes I said top 5.  Unless someone goes totally stupid and offers 3 number ones and their 2nd this year I don't want to even think about us not taking this guy.

 

When was the last time the Skins had a player like that. A guy with a sixth gear. I don't see why anyone likes the idea of a trade down unless it is the best package of picks ever created in the history of the draft. CY can be a total game changer.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing to note: this team needs to sell tickets. It needs to recapture fans. How do you do that? With stars. Chase Young is a star. He's going to bring the fans back. I can guarantee you when he's crushing opposing QBs Week 1 you're not gonna see FedEx half filled with Dallas fans. It'll be almost as big as RG3 mania was.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just thinking about a very specific way that Montez Sweat will make it harder to gameplay for Chase. In college, opposing teams would often run bootlegs away from chase. 
 

Sweat isn’t yet great at getting instant penetration as a pass rusher. He does however have a very good motor, and is underrated as a contain guy. With his length and pursuit speed, I think he is going to make those bootlegs a less viable strategy. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pff Graphic saying some people would take Tua at #2. 

 

If they take Tua at #2, I will lose 100% of the enthusiasm I have for Ron R. I cannot think of a worse pick for the Redskins #2. I could live with - not like - but live with so many other options - although passing on Chase Young if he is there will make me question their sanity. But JDR has seen enough dominant edge rushers that if he thinks he sees a red flag and they go elsewhere fine. But it needs to be Okudah or Simmon. Not Tua. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Tony Pauline can be amusing as for generating gossip but a lot of it is shown to be untrue.  Of all the draft geek types he's the least enamored with Chase Young.  He actually said in a Q & A weeks back that he'd take Andrew Thomas over Young at #2

 

I recall last year he said Lock and Haskins are slam dunk going top 10 based on what he heard.  He was all over the place on Haskins but at one point I recall him saying don't believe the rumors that the Giants don't dig Haskins -- they indeed do love Haskins and that's who they are targeting.  And then another week he'd say something completely different. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not worried about wether or not the Skins take Young at #2. The only worry I worry about is Cincy taking Young at #1 or trading out of that spot, understanding that they have options at QB in next years draft.

 

I have no doubts Young is the pick at #2 if hes there. Even if they get a nice offer for the pick. RR wants to win now and CY fits the bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:


Chase is nothing like Jadaveon, as a player. Clowney probably will have better athletic testing numbers, but he was always stiff, lacked pss rushing refinement and didn’t produce As a pass rusher in college, at an elite level. 
 

I think Chase’s floor is probably Joey Bosa. Ceiling is too high to talk about without making silly comparisons. 

I'll say it for you, Julius Peppers, DeMarcus Ware, Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, J.J. Watt, Aaron Donald. That's his ceiling. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pick6 said:

 

When was the last time the Skins had a player like that. A guy with a sixth gear. I don't see why anyone likes the idea of a trade down unless it is the best package of picks ever created in the history of the draft. CY can be a total game changer.

Last game changing defensive player the Skins had was unquestionably Sean Taylor. He put fear in opposing players. Go on Youtube and look up highlights of Reuben Foster and tell me you don't see similarities between him and ST. God I hope he comes back fully healthy. We will terrify the rest of the league with our defense. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

 

If they take Tua at #2, I will lose 100% of the enthusiasm I have for Ron R. I cannot think of a worse pick for the Redskins #2. I could live with - not like - but live with so many other options - although passing on Chase Young if he is there will make me question their sanity. But JDR has seen enough dominant edge rushers that if he thinks he sees a red flag and they go elsewhere fine. But it needs to be Okudah or Simmon. Not Tua. 

I 99% agree with you BUT, if Tua grades out to be a can't miss NFL QB that is a more important position to nail down than DE. I would hate to miss on Michael Jordan because we were in love with Sam Bowie....some of you may have to do some research on that reference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I find interesting re: the comparisons with Clowney and Garrett. During their Junior years, both Clowney and Garrett began to see defenses plan for them and double them much more than before. Same with Chase Young. But both Clowney and Garrett went down in production those years (though to be fair they both were also fighting through some nagging injuries those years too. Clowney also had a nagging issue called "laziness"), but Chase Young went way UP in both sacks and TFLs, even though teams were doubling him, game planning for him, and generally trying to stay away from him. 

 

That's pretty impressive. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Let me tell you something about Chase.  I am a PSU fan, this year I honestly thought we were going to make a huge comeback, OSU was in trouble, momentum changed totally after their fumbles.  Then Chase took over.  I mean he took over the damn game.  Penn State simply couldn't block him period.  He took his game in that 4th quarter another two levels up there.  I WANT this guy on our team.  With him in there rotating with Sweat and Kerrigan, plus the 3 monsters in the middle of the line and our new DC, plus Foster as one of the LBs I see us going from mid 20s D to top 5.  Yes I said top 5.  Unless someone goes totally stupid and offers 3 number ones and their 2nd this year I don't want to even think about us not taking this guy.

This post gave me chills, we need a guy like this. The last guy we had on defense that could make an impact like this was ST in his phenomenal last season. Before that, Champ Bailey. But we haven't had a superstar pass rusher in decades. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Chase Young will be the best defensive player in the NFL in short order.

 

Can you stop? You have Orakpo as your user name and I feel like you're jinxing us. I've tried to play it from a standpoint of giving him too high expectations and to slow down, but now I am just kindly telling you that the jinx is strong.

 

My God, man. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell we might be jinxing ourselves.  Cincinnati could very well pick up a QB in FA and take Chase. I just hope they have their draft board set at #1 for Burrow.  With QB's you never know how they are going to pan out but when you have so many players that were with him boasting about his abilities he does seem like the sure pick at #1 or #2.  

Edited by skinsmania123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Hell we might be jinxing ourselves.  Cincinnati could very well pick up a QB in FA and take Chase. I just hope they have their draft board set at #1 for Burrow.  With QB's you never know how they are going to pan out but when you have so many players that were with him boasting about his abilities he does seem like the sure pick at #1 or #2.  

 

Not sure who they'd go after in FA...Bridgewater? It's not every year you have the #1 pick in the draft, are in dire need of a QB, and there's a really good prospect there that's likely worth that pick. IMO in that situation, taking positional value and need into consideration they'd have to have Chase ranked significantly higher than Burrow to take him. Which would probably mean they don't have Burrow rated nearly as high as most. Which is possible, but I'd consider it unlikely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now