Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

Taking the 5th year option isn’t just a price comparison between that and the franchise tag.

it’s actually much like our fears when RGIII was on the option. That it fully guarantees for injury. it’s more likely given the recent injury that he could get hurt substantially again… if so we’re screwed. 

Also helps to motivate him as well. We feel it worked for Payne, and gotta assume after 3-4 years they know what motivates Chase by now. 

I feel like the play of Chase Young could really be a key component of our defense this year. If he is able to reach even just the same level of play he achieved as a rookie, with our improved secondary, and the emergence of Payne as a pass rushing threat, we could be really, really good on that side of the ball. I’m not sure how likely that is, but I’m really rooting for him. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

His critique after his 1st year when hes playing is he needs to play in the system of the line and not be a lone-wolf. He hasnt listened. Hes a great cheerleader. That goal line hit on Burrow really had me believing

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dunfer said:

His critique after his 1st year when hes playing is he needs to play in the system of the line and not be a lone-wolf. He hasnt listened. Hes a great cheerleader. That goal line hit on Aikman really had me believing

Coulda sworn I was reading about Lavar.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Clairvoyance that Chase will be the next NY Giant star?

6 games played for the NYG, 14 tackles.  I wouldn’t say he was a star.  But then there was an Achilles injury, followed by a motorcycle crash.  

On an unrelated note - If my memory serves me right, he handed Steve Young and Troy Aikman concussions that ended their careers.

• Thanks 1

I could not disagree more with those saying it's a bad look.. He is working very hard and with someone who knows better than anyone on our team. If he misses mandatory camp then I will worry. And since people seem to ignore this, it's called voluntary forc a reason. 

I have no idea how good he can be in the NFL - could be a bust could be a HOF'er, likley somewhere in between. Just hoping it's on the higher side. He should be 100% from his injury. He either gets or not. I am rooting for him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

12 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I could not disagree more with those saying it's a bad look.. He is working very hard and with someone who knows better than anyone on our team. If he misses mandatory camp then I will worry. And since people seem to ignore this, it's called voluntary forc a reason.

Yeah its not bad look, but time is running out on this guy for us. Hes acting like a lone-wolf when weve got a wolfpack on that dline. Mabye not being alpha is his problem? He doesnt need moves...he needs to be learning to juke when the guy next to him jives

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Unless Von will be calling plays and building comraderie with his teammates, perhaps Von only knows what's good for Chase. But not what is best for the team that both pays him and goes to war with him. But since it is  voluntary, what do you think Von is paying him??

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 2

There are folks who have been pooping on Chase every chance they could since 2021.  I’m not one of those people.  I was of the belief he would be closer to a generational player for us than a guy who doesn’t even get a second deal.

That said, I’ve seen absolutely nothing out of him since 2020 that is positive.  Prior to his injury in 2021, he was practically invisible - relying on trying to overpower tackles and from all reports, freelancing.  

Local media is basically telling us without telling us that there are some concerns with him. 

Of course, I hope that he defies logic - and that his way leads to him expanding his game and making the team regret not picking up his option.  But as a betting man, I’d bet against it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There are folks who have been pooping on Chase every chance they could since 2021.  I’m not one of those people.  I was of the belief he would be closer to a generational player for us than a guy who doesn’t even get a second deal.

That said, I’ve seen absolutely nothing out of him since 2020 that is positive.  Prior to his injury in 2021, he was practically invisible - relying on trying to overpower tackles and from all reports, freelancing.  

Local media is basically telling us without telling us that there are some concerns with him. 

Of course, I hope that he defies logic - and that his way leads to him expanding his game and making the team regret not picking up his option.  But as a betting man, I’d bet against it.

Same here. I actually like Chase and was a fan the instant we drafted him. I WANT him to thrive, be successful, and a nightmare for any opposing offense. He certainly has the talent /potential. Now it does seem that I have drifted into a "hate the sin, love the sinner" mindset with him. He frustrates me, opting to work on his own instead of being a part of his team. Yet, it hasn't worked out well for him so far. I do believe that he is a good teammate when he actually up however. So I do hope that my posts expressing frustration with his choosing not to participate in OTAs is not construed as me not liking the man or his potential.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Chase isn’t long for us or frankly this league.

He will be in the league a few years after he doesn't get a contract here next season. Someone will offer him an incentive laden contract that will not pay him much and he will be gone 2 years later, he gives off the vibe that he really doesn't care and that he doesn't want to be coached

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 6/3/2023 at 7:18 PM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Von Miller has a few moves.

How about we wait until Chase ****s the bed this year until we completely run the guy outta town?

I agree.....just make sure he doesn't have the C on his chest this year. 

7 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

My only memory of Chase from the past ~2 seasons?  He's very active and vocal on the sidelines during games.

I'd be pretty vocal and pumped up too if I made $3.8M simoleans per career sack.

Pretty good ROI from his point of view.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 10:05 PM, goskins10 said:

I have no idea how good he can be in the NFL - could be a bust could be a HOF'er, likley somewhere in between. Just hoping it's on the higher side. He should be 100% from his injury. He either gets or not. I am rooting for him. 

Yeah, but that someone or training regime completely broke him between year's one and two, where he abandoned the quick/straight ahead rush style and developed that stutter step thing. 

I have no doubt he's working hard and will be in shape coming into whatever he comes in to.

But for a guy who's basically been called out for not adhering to the scheme, missed an entire season + coming off of injury, not making it to 7 OTA practices is a bad look.  

I want to reiterate that: There are 7 of these stupid things between the end of the season and training camp.  I don't care if it's voluntary.  And I don't care if it is completely irrelevant.  Get your ass here, work those 7 days, then go somewhere else for the remaining 100+ days.  

And this goes for Montez also.  

It's a bad look.  It shows selfishness picking your training over your teammates.  Or, as Chase said 2 years ago, making money. 

If the slate was clean, then fine. But it's not. 

He should be here.  And then take a private jet back to CO or wherever the hell he is training.  It's not that hard, it's not that many practices, and he has basically unlimited resources to do whatever he wants in 1st class style.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 6/3/2023 at 7:18 PM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Von Miller has a few moves.

How about we wait until Chase ****s the bed this year until we completely run the guy outta town?

Cool, I didn't realize Von had offensive lineman working with him...

On 6/4/2023 at 10:25 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, but that someone or training regime completely broke him between year's one and two, where he abandoned the quick/straight ahead rush style and developed that stutter step thing. 

I have no doubt he's working hard and will be in shape coming into whatever he comes in to.

But for a guy who's basically been called out for not adhering to the scheme, missed an entire season + coming off of injury, not making it to 7 OTA practices is a bad look.  

I want to reiterate that: There are 7 of these stupid things between the end of the season and training camp.  I don't care if it's voluntary.  And I don't care if it is completely irrelevant.  Get your ass here, work those 7 days, then go somewhere else for the remaining 100+ days.  

And this goes for Montez also.  

It's a bad look.  It shows selfishness picking your training over your teammates.  Or, as Chase said 2 years ago, making money. 

If the slate was clean, then fine. But it's not. 

He should be here.  And then take a private jet back to CO or wherever the hell he is training.  It's not that hard, it's not that many practices, and he has basically unlimited resources to do whatever he wants in 1st class style.

It's only a bad look if you are already looking for a reason to be pissed at him. Otherwise it's a business. They are voluntary workouts with the team. Would it be nice if he were here? Sure. Also, not sure how you get to that first statement. I think you are arbitrarily assigning cause without knowing all the facts. 

Either way, we will find out this season. I will agree that this is for sure a put up or shut up season. He has to have the star level impact that is expected of a #2 pick, and someone who was considered at the time the best player in the draft. He should be completely healthy. 

I get some have an issue with him not being here but I do not see it has a problem.  

Edited by goskins10
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

There's nothing wrong with working out with Von Miller during the offseason in theory. I am sure Von knows the ins & outs of staying in shape and showing up ready to ball.  The issue is that being in shape, strength & conditioning, & athleticism so far haven't been Chase's issues, it is more technique (or lack there of) and the type of things you need to be working on against live O-lineman where the coaches can critique you in real time and help coach you up and out of your mistakes after reviewing film.  I don't think the voluntary OTAs are going to make or break a player when it comes to regular season performance, but if I am Chase Young, a player with a ton of potential, who hasn't really shown a whole lot since my rookie season (not entirely his fault, injury/recovery) I am probably wanting to be as close to the team as possible, get as much legitimate practice battles against O-line as possible. 

If the guy goes out and gets 15+ sacks this year, he will have silenced the critics and will get paid a ton, but if he struggles to get 10 sacks, it is going to be seen as a problem as far as the kind of contract he like is going to want versus what this team (or a lot of others) will be willing to pay him.