Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, Daniel.redskins said:

We have a right to be pissed.  Last season it was "let's tank for Young."  What's it this year?  Young has been absent.  You are lying if you say you're not disappointed with his performance.  I wanted Tua.  But no one would listen.   "Young will be a Von Miller or JJ Watt."  I haven't seen it dude.  It's been 9 **** games.  

And I haven't put Tua in the hall or fame.  I said he had Russel Wilson potential.  Which is more franchise changing than a decent pass rusher.  We had decent with Preston Smith, Kerrigan, Sweat.  Pass Rusher was not a need for this team.  So yes, I'm pissed.  

A whole 9 games??!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't lower my expectations on Young just yet.  Reminds me Dallas fans during Demarcus Ware's rookie season.  He only had 4 sacks in his first 14 games.  Lots of hand wringing by Cowboy fans.  In the end, he became the HOF guy they hyped him to be.  I think Young will turn into the dominant force he was touted to be.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GOATFrerotte said:

Been pretty mediocre the last 5 games, not what you expect to be getting with the #2 pick. Oh well, the odds of our picks being busts is far greater than them being good. 

Look at the chances we've blown over this part of the schedule....

NYG L

Dallas W

NYG L

Detroit L

Cincy ????

Dallas  ????

Could've easily gone 4-2 or better over this stretch yet we're staring at 1-5.....Why do we start games so sluggish? Are our linebackers really that bad? 

Call me crazy but I think one of the strengths of this team is the WR's? 

22 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

A whole 9 games??!!! 

You should read some of this thread from last summer.  The expectation from most fans was for Young to push for rookie records.  Now he is projected for 7 sacks 40 tackles.  No where close to rookie records.  

I obviously think Young was a top 10 pick and a quality starter.  But don't act like you're not concerned about him getting manhandled one on one by no name tackles. 

• Like 1

As for our defense, hmm, I don't know.  Young just doesn't look like a dominant player to me so far.  Much like our heralded front line.  Lots of talk about us but being great on paper but not much action unless we're playing very, very poor teams.  I'm very disappointed in what was supposed to be our strength.  Is there really anyone on our defense you wouldn't trade for a more established / productive player?  That is where I'm at.  

Ha, as kingdaddy says...it is kind of funny but our greatest concern (receivers) actually seems to be one of the highlights of the team.  Who would have "thunk" it.

But yeah, also weird how we start off so sluggishly on a consistent basis.  What is up with that?  Coaching / Play calling?  Seems like more of the same ol' same ol'.  What is the issue?  I will say, that the reverse play call when we were driving down the field made me furious, heck I'm still fuming over that call, but I think he adjusted in the 2nd half and called a better game.  That is also part of the reason I don't blame Young for the loss.  We had a lot of other gaffes in the game prior to his mental lapse. We were lucky on defense a few times and missed opportunities on offense a few times.  Hardly the fault of a single player no matter how mad I was at the time lol.

Man, I just want us to win but it is so tiresome at times when we can't win games that I think we should win easily.  I just want us to be good again but even when we get all the breaks (and yeah, it seemed like we got all the breaks today especially with the refs) we can't seem to pull it out.  So frustrating.

11 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

You should read some of this thread from last summer.  The expectation from most fans was for Young to push for rookie records.  Now he is projected for 7 sacks 40 tackles.  No where close to rookie records.  

I obviously think Young was a top 10 pick and a quality starter.  But don't act like you're not concerned about him getting manhandled one on one by no name tackles. 

I'm not remotely concerned. He's having some trouble finishing rushes even though he has been winning off the snap, which most likely means he's adjusting to the ability of NFL tackles to recover. He's been getting pressures in good numbers, and he's playing the run very well. R-E-L-A-X. Also Taylor Decker is not a no name tackle. 

Edited by Berggy9598

3 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

I'm not remotely concerned. He's having some trouble finishing rushes even though he has been winning off the snap, which most likely means he's adjusting to the ability of NFL tackles to recover. He's been getting pressures in good numbers, and he's playing the run very well. R-E-L-A-X. Also Taylor Decker is not a no name tackle. 

BUST!!!!

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

This is why I was weary of the Bosa comparisons for his rookie season.  Bosa was drafted onto an already very good defense.  Washington's defense was not good and has not been good in a long time.  Everyone seemed to assume the issues were not the players but Manusky.  Well it turns out a lot of these guys up front haven't done much better under Jack Del Rio.  Perhaps the issue wasn't the coaching and instead guys being improperly evaluated by the organizations scouts.  Maybe simply drafting as many Alabama players as possible because they were on a good defense in college wasn't the way to go?  I don't think anyone on the D-line is mediocre, but I think the best guy is injured (Ionnadis) and the future best guy is often times double teams as well as being chipped which means he is the one being game planned against, yet no one else currently on the line is good enough to use that to their own advantage.  

Yeah Young is being game planned. “Hey right tackle, what’s your name?  Yeah you, block Chase Young”.  “Ok coach”.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Happens to everyone.  It's going to happen to a Rookie. He'll be fine.

1 hour ago, carex said:

you go back a page or two, there's a twitter post about how that's bull

How about watching the game instead of reading Twitter posts.  I defy you to show me one instance when he got pressure this game one on one. Pressure almost always comes from the side there’s no Chase Young.  

1 hour ago, Capsman said:

How about watching the game instead of reading Twitter posts.  I defy you to show me one instance when he got pressure this game one on one. Pressure almost always comes from the side there’s no Chase Young.  

gee, maybe there's a reason for that.   Also the twitter post included game footage

Edited by carex

3 hours ago, GOATFrerotte said:

“Dumb” to expect more from the #2 pick than what he’s given the past 5 games and the season as a whole. Okay. Good luck with those low expectations. 

Yeah, your take is dumb. I can prove it.

(Notice who is pressuring Jones there?)

(Oh, look again at who is driving the tackle into the lap of the QB forcing an errant throw...)

I could keep going on here. I have more clips I can find and search. But if you want to demand that Chase has 10 sacks right now as a rookie, be my guest. I'll save this thread's ****ty takes for later when he starts to dominate. Because trust me - its coming. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, carex said:

gee, maybe there's a reason for that.   Also the twitter post included game footage

I just  told you he was getting blocked by 1 guy alone 99% of the time.  If you think he was drawing attention you’re mistaken. 

You mean footage from the Giants game?  They pulled the 2 or 3 plays he was blocked by more than one guy.  Fuller’s INT in the first Giants game was a result of Young being blocked by a tight end.  He can’t beat a half decent lineman if his life depended on it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Capsman said:

I just  told you he was getting blocked by 1 guy alone 99% of the time.  If you think he was drawing attention you’re mistaken. 

You mean footage from the Giants game?  They pulled the 2 or 3 plays he was blocked by more than one guy.  Fuller’s INT in the first Giants game was a result of Young being blocked by a tight end.  He can’t beat a half decent lineman if his life depended on it. 

okay, at this point you're just trolling

• Thanks 1

I will reiterate what I said during draft season:

I hate the term generational and the hype it brings. Chase Young was a very, very good prospect. In my opinion the best defensive prospect in the draft. But that word “generational” is what makes people who are more casual to football think he’s going to come in and dominate. Media hype saying he’s going to be a monster right away had many fans buying into the fact he was going to be a 10-15 sack guy and dominate every phase from day one.

Most of this was driven by Bosa because Young was a better player at Ohio State.

Heres the thing: Bosa has a creative as hell DC, a very good defense around him that was already built and most importantly... linebackers. People are discounting this stuff and you shouldn’t. 

Dre Greenlaw came in with Bosa and was a major cog in the Niners D last year in my opinion. He single handed shadowed and shut down Cook in the playoffs last year. Teams had to worry about the Niners backers coming down hill... and that allowed Bosa to be Bosa. 

The Niners defensive line is also aggressive. Not pluggers. Our DL is full of pluggers and not aggression. 

Our team has timid backers that are poor in coverage all things considered. That combined with pluggers at the DL make scheming around Young easy. 

Fix the backers. Get Young into year 2. And watch the difference. 

It’s too early to turn on the guy because you feel foolish you bought into some bogus media hype. Rookie edge guys rarely dominate in year one. And when they do it takes very specific circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He’s not a bust, he’s just the latest guy that’s part of a unit that’s less than the sum of its parts.

sure, there are tons of issues with the secondary and the backers, but a massive amount of draft capital and resources has been invested into a unit that’s merely “ok”- average to sub average. That’s disappointing. And I think young is the face on that. We keep fooling ourselves into thinking that “one more 1st round investment” to the line, and they’re gonna be dominant. But they just aren’t.