Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

I watched a lot of Chase specifically yesterday. I noticed him getting double teamed on several occasions, and on the plays I watched where he wasn't, Stafford was taking a 3-step and unloading the ball quick. I didn't notice him getting beat 1-on-1 with longer developing pass plays. Detroit does, however, have one of the better O-lines in the game. Regardless, if a QB is getting rid of the ball on time after a 3-step drop, you're not going to sack him.

As far as the penalty goes, I'm not going to fault Chase. It was a weak ass penalty with the game on the line. I've seen much worse than that not get called this season.

He's only going to get better. Khalil Mack only had 5 sacks his rookie year, and 15 in his second. It's not often a rookie comes in cold and puts up prime JJ Watt numbers.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rskins91 said:

Yeah, your take is dumb. I can prove it.

(Notice who is pressuring Jones there?)

(Oh, look again at who is driving the tackle into the lap of the QB forcing an errant throw...)

I could keep going on here. I have more clips I can find and search. But if you want to demand that Chase has 10 sacks right now as a rookie, be my guest. I'll save this thread's ****ty takes for later when he starts to dominate. Because trust me - its coming. 

He has 1 sack, 2 qb hits, and 3 tackles for loss in his last 5 games. He's also had 1 qb knock this year, and 3 qb hurries. He also was easily handled by one blocker yesterday and provided no impact to the game. I've watched every game this year, and it's ridiculous to try to pretend he's lived up to expectations. He's been underwhelming by every stretch. Someone who should be dominating the line of scrimmage and making an easy to see impact every game. There has been nothing impressive about his season this far. I'm glad he has made 1 or 2 plays this season. I mean, when you have as low expectations as you do, it doesn't take much to impress, lol.

Edited by GOATFrerotte
  • Like 2

When you lose on a 59 yard field goal with 3 seconds remaining, you tip your cap to a guy with ice water in his veins (Prater) and move on.  Blaming Young is irrational.  Look at it this way:  he learned a valuable lesson in a season where winning isn't critical.  He won't make that mistake with a real division title on the line.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

When you lose on a 59 yard field goal with 3 seconds remaining, you tip your cap to a guy with ice water in his veins (Prater) and move on.  Blaming Young is irrational.  Look at it this way:  he learned a valuable lesson in a season where winning isn't critical.  He won't make that mistake with a real division title on the line.

There's zero way for you to know that and you can't prove it in a scientific or meaningful way. He could make that mistake in the future. Of course the WFT would have to be in contention for a division title first which every year seems unlikely.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

I watched a lot of Chase specifically yesterday. I noticed him getting double teamed on several occasions, and on the plays I watched where he wasn't, Stafford was taking a 3-step and unloading the ball quick. I didn't notice him getting beat 1-on-1 with longer developing pass plays. Detroit does, however, have one of the better O-lines in the game. Regardless, if a QB is getting rid of the ball on time after a 3-step drop, you're not going to sack him.

As far as the penalty goes, I'm not going to fault Chase. It was a weak ass penalty with the game on the line. I've seen much worse than that not get called this season.

He's only going to get better. Khalil Mack only had 5 sacks his rookie year, and 15 in his second. It's not often a rookie comes in cold and puts up prime JJ Watt numbers.

I just got through watching the game again, watched Chase exclusively. I suggest @GOATFrerotte do the same. He was double teamed exactly 5 times for the entire game, on 2 other plays the guard slid over to help late but the ball was out (one was a TD pass).   I also saw him make exactly one play, the forced incompletion by Stafford which of course was offset with the roughing the passer penalty that cost them the chance in overtime. He could have easily been called for a face mask on a 3rd down sack, a play he was again handled one on one by the right tackle. 

For the vast majority of the game he was handled one on one by the tackle, he slid from right side to left side the entire game, or by a running back that cut him resulting in a big run around the left side of the defense. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

For the vast majority of the game he was handled one on one by the tackle, he slid from right side to left side the entire game, or by a running back that cut him resulting in a big run around the left side of the defense. 

Now that you put it this way, I'd say we cut him. He's obviously a bust at this stage.

• Like 1

It’s funny how if you criticize his play so far, people automatically think you’re calling him a bust lol, we’re just commenting on a sports players play on a sports forum. No one here is saying that he’s a bust, he’s going to be fine. When I watched him in college it looked like to me he really used the swim type move a lot and his burst seemed more sudden. The swim move has been somewhat neutralized and looking at the guy he is built like a tank but the bull rush hasn’t really been there either. Just gotta work on some technique, we gone be aight  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, max21 said:

It’s funny how if you criticize his play so far, people automatically think you’re calling him a bust lol, we’re just commenting on a sports players play on a sports forum. No one here is saying that he’s a bust, he’s going to be fine. When I watched him in college it looked like to me he really used the swim type move a lot and his burst seemed more sudden. The swim move has been somewhat neutralized and looking at the guy he is built like a tank but the bull rush hasn’t really been there either. Just gotta work on some technique, we gone be aight  

No, what people like you are saying is, in his first 9 game he hasn't lived up to the extreme hype and hence was a bad pick because we didn't instead draft a QB to replace a guy that didn't live up to his hype in his first 9 games.

Here's the thing about someone like Tua and the early success he's found in Miami. The team is actually pretty good. They were 3-1 in their last 4 prior to Tua coming in so it's not like he breathed new life into that team. Tua would have been a struggle here and the same people losing their minds over Chase would have been even more insufferable that we didn't draft him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Capsman said:

Ah no, not trolling.  Just being honest.  Some of the hyperbole here is laughable, that he "single handedly almost caused multiple interceptions" and "regularly getting triple teamed".  You will find examples of any lineman getting getting blocked by a second guy once or twice a game.  I literally counted one double team on Young all of yesterday.  One.  Perhaps I missed one, so let's say two. 

As for the backers and linebackers, it doesn't explain why he cannot get close to the QB even on the non-quick hitting plays against a single blocker.  His teammates are getting there before him.   He's repeatedly pushed to the outside or ends up way behind the QB (if not pushed to the ground).  The Bosas, Watts (even TJ) made their teammates better by both drawing extra attention and making the QB either move up in the pocket toward the interior rush or outside the pocket toward the other defensive end.   And they did that in their rookie seasons, even if the sack totals weren't high.   Honestly I've seen one impressive pass rush the entire season and that was his sack fumble against Wentz on a spin move.  

No, I don't think he's a "bust", he just doesn't look to me like a guy who has the tools to be a dominant d-lineman.  Has good straightaway speed but doesn't seem capable of lowering his center of gravity, like a motorcycle racer going around a tight curve.  His strength seems to manifest in static situations (holding the line in run defense for example) but he doesn't look particularly strong rushing.  You see that with a lot of guys like Payne, hard to move but they don't push the pocket.     Not sure I've seen him successfully bull rush.  Maybe I've missed one?  Where I do think he can improve is the hand to hand stuff and a move here or there, but he looks to me like a guy whose ceiling is in the 7-8 sack per year range.  Not bad, but not game changing either.

I will be happy as a lark if I'm wrong and it all turns out to be his groin, but despite his successful first game I noticed some of these things before his injury, like lowering the center of gravity, ankle flexibility, etc.  I'd really love to know what we were offered (if anything) for the pick prior to the draft.   

Prove me wrong, Chase.  

You need a hobby 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Capsman said:

Ah no, not trolling.  Just being honest.  Some of the hyperbole here is laughable, that he "single handedly almost caused multiple interceptions" and "regularly getting triple teamed".  You will find examples of any lineman getting getting blocked by a second guy once or twice a game.  I literally counted one double team on Young all of yesterday.  One.  Perhaps I missed one, so let's say two. 

As for the backers and linebackers, it doesn't explain why he cannot get close to the QB even on the non-quick hitting plays against a single blocker.  His teammates are getting there before him.   He's repeatedly pushed to the outside or ends up way behind the QB (if not pushed to the ground).  The Bosas, Watts (even TJ) made their teammates better by both drawing extra attention and making the QB either move up in the pocket toward the interior rush or outside the pocket toward the other defensive end.   And they did that in their rookie seasons, even if the sack totals weren't high.   Honestly I've seen one impressive pass rush the entire season and that was his sack fumble against Wentz on a spin move.  

No, I don't think he's a "bust", he just doesn't look to me like a guy who has the tools to be a dominant d-lineman.  Has good straightaway speed but doesn't seem capable of lowering his center of gravity, like a motorcycle racer going around a tight curve.  His strength seems to manifest in static situations (holding the line in run defense for example) but he doesn't look particularly strong rushing.  You see that with a lot of guys like Payne, hard to move but they don't push the pocket.     Not sure I've seen him successfully bull rush.  Maybe I've missed one?  Where I do think he can improve is the hand to hand stuff and a move here or there, but he looks to me like a guy whose ceiling is in the 7-8 sack per year range.  Not bad, but not game changing either.

I will be happy as a lark if I'm wrong and it all turns out to be his groin, but despite his successful first game I noticed some of these things before his injury, like lowering the center of gravity, ankle flexibility, etc.  I'd really love to know what we were offered (if anything) for the pick prior to the draft.   

Prove me wrong, Chase.  

Jones is attempting to throw this away... Young wins and Jones cant step into the throw, allowing Fuller to make a play

Watch the 2nd highlight vs the Rams.  Young gets leverage against the LT and pushes him into Goff so he cant step into the throw... it's a duck and easily intercepted by Fuller...

Edited by OVCChairman

I watched most of the defensive drives just now from yesterday.  I got burnt out, so didn't feel like watching the last 2 drives.  On my count Chase was doubled 16 times leading to those last 2 drives.  And I'd hazard a guess that he ended up doubled 20 times in the end give or take -- if I had the energy to go through the last two drives when the Lions were clearly passing like crazy.

Some of these doubles had the running back or TE chip him to help the tackle but most of them were outright 2 guys on him the whole time.   So if Chase is some failure, the rest of the NFL isn't catching on. 😀  That's who the Lions primarily focused on stopping.  So maybe PFF is on to something (Cooley, too) where he's affecting the game even when he isn't loading up on sacks.   I think the sacks will come.  I recall some lamenting about Sweat ironically last year.  Rookie DE's tend to take time.  But at a minimum, its clear as heck opposing offensive coordinators are spooked by him. 

I actually noticed some tendencies based on these doubles.  He wasn't typically doubled on running plays or quick 3 step throws that went in the opposite direction of whereever Chase was. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 5.36.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 5.39.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 5.41.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 5.42.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 5.44.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 5.49.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 5.53.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 5.53.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 5.54.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 6.02.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 6.03.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 6.03.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 6.04.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 6.05.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 6.10.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 6.11.30 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Jack needs to get creative and move Chase around the line. Maybe have him line up right behind Payne and Allen and have him shoot the A gap almost as a blitzing linebacker. Given Bostic is worthless anyway, there are probably formations you can use Kerrigan, Sweat and Chase at the same time.

8 hours ago, GOATFrerotte said:

He has 1 sack, 2 qb hits, and 3 tackles for loss in his last 5 games. He's also had 1 qb knock this year, and 3 qb hurries. He also was easily handled by one blocker yesterday and provided no impact to the game. I've watched every game this year, and it's ridiculous to try to pretend he's lived up to expectations. He's been underwhelming by every stretch. Someone who should be dominating the line of scrimmage and making an easy to see impact every game. There has been nothing impressive about his season this far. I'm glad he has made 1 or 2 plays this season. I mean, when you have as low expectations as you do, it doesn't take much to impress, lol.

Thank you @Skinsinparadisefor the breakdown. Hey, @GOATFrerotte, you gonna dispute what he’s posting? Because according to you, he was “handled” by one blocker all day, when pictures show at least 16 double teams.

Get the **** out of here. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Jones is attempting to throw this away... Young wins and Jones cant step into the throw, allowing Fuller to make a play

Watch the 2nd highlight vs the Rams.  Young gets leverage against the LT and pushes him into Goff so he cant step into the throw... it's a duck and easily intercepted by Fuller...

Did you look at the highlights of the Jones INT carefully?  He had nobody blocking him until the TE came all the way from the other side to try to block him at the last moment. 

The LA Rams play was not a leverage win.  The left tackle Immediately started backing up before Young even engaged him.  Perhaps Young got a faster than usual jump which led to that, I don’t know.

5 minutes ago, Capsman said:

Did you look at the highlights of the Jones INT carefully?  He had nobody blocking him until the TE came all the way from the other side to try to block him at the last moment. 

The LA Rams play was not a leverage win.  The left tackle Immediately started backing up before Young even engaged him.  Perhaps Young got a faster than usual jump which led to that, I don’t know.

The words you're looking for here is "pass pro set". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I do appreciate the film clips.  He was double teamed more than I thought.  I was wrong.

So I guess you would say Sweat and the Bama Boys have underperformed?  Something just isn't right.  This was suppose to be a top 5 d-line.  The Lions o-line beat the **** out of them.  There were plenty of times our whole d-line got pushed back a couple yards.  I don't think you can logically say the entire problem is the linebackers and our d-line looks great.  I don't get the impression that teams really fear them.  The Giants were not scared to play smash mouth football.  

22 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

I do appreciate the film clips.  He was double teamed more than I thought.  I was wrong.

So I guess you would say Sweat and the Bama Boys have underperformed?  Something just isn't right.  This was suppose to be a top 5 d-line.  The Lions o-line beat the **** out of them.  There were plenty of times our whole d-line got pushed back a couple yards.  I don't think you can logically say the entire problem is the linebackers and our d-line looks great.  I don't get the impression that teams really fear them.  The Giants were not scared to play smash mouth football.  

Theyve all been underwhelming when not playing backups.

Ryan Kerrigan is still our best pass rusher. 

9 hours ago, GOATFrerotte said:

If you look at the learning curve for an NFL DE, Young is developing fine. He will get your stats. The difference between a sack and a pressure is a split second so being in position so often, so early, is a clear good sign. If he were 5th on that list, I could understand concern. We are complaining he isn't far enough out front in 1st?