Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

34 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

It may not make any sense to you but the scuttlebutt is that Tua is falling and Herbert is the prize. This race to get a QB could be down to one big prize....Herbert and sometimes teams do crazy things, like trade 4 picks to move up 1 spot (Bears for Trubisky). And lots of teams over the years have done crazy things in the draft once they target a guy they have to have. 

What Miami does sets this entire draft in motion....do they keep all of their picks and sit tight or do they use the picks to move up. Sitting at 5 leaves them in a spot to get nervous and impatient, that alone makes teams panic. Not all GM's think alike....

I think teams also tend to learn things from crazy trades for risky QBs that don't pan out ala RG3 and Trubisky. Unless the guy you're going after is a consensus top blue chip QB prospect you're probably better served by either waiting to see if he falls to you (Haskins for example) or getting a project type guy with upside in the 2nd or 3rd and seeing what happens next draft.

Can you imagine if Miami took that huge gamble and gave up the farm to move up for Tua or Herbert, including their 1st next year, and their guy busts (or gets injured) and they end up with what would have been the #1 overall pick in 2021 where they could have taken Lawrence?

If Tua is falling (and I think it's quite possible) then that doesn't necessarily mean that Herbert is suddenly rocketing up the boards. They're both boom or bust prospects IMO. Tua is extremely talented but clearly injury prone, and Herbert has plenty of talent but is very inconsistent in multiple areas and has some pretty clear holes in his game. I think it's much more likely that the Phins and the Chargers stay where they are. Maybe I could see one of the giving up a moderate pick to try and go up to 4 if they think the other is going to do so. But if they both are ok with taking either Herbert or Tua at 5 or 6 then why not just stay there?

Bruce Smith is interested in mentoring Chase Young. Wants Dan Snyder to call him, seems like a really good idea. A "father type" role model/mentor and is obviously a legend. 

He could also help teach Chase probably one of the skillsets he lacks, a spin move. One of Bruce's signature moves. 

https://www.tmz.com/videos/042120-bruce-smith-4772481-0-n0avraoe/

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Bruce Smith is interested in mentoring Chase Young. Wants Dan Snyder to call him, seems like a really good idea. A "father type" role model/mentor and is obviously a legend. 

He could also help teach Chase probably one of the skillsets he lacks, a spin move. One of Bruce's signature moves. 

https://www.tmz.com/videos/042120-bruce-smith-4772481-0-n0avraoe/

Dude comes from a solid family of cops. He doesn't need a "father figure". 

Has Smith coached before?

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe, but as far as I know, he's just mentored some successful players. Mentors are probably pretty good for something like the NFL where it can be easy to lose your way with all the fame that comes with it. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Maybe, but as far as I know, he's just mentored some successful players. Mentors are probably pretty good for something like the NFL where it can be easy to lose your way with all the fame that comes with it. 

I suppose, but he's going to a unit with 4 other 1rst round picks on it, including Kerrigan. Pretty sure he's walking into a perfect situation. Mentor isn't a bad thing, unless he's divisive to the coaches.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think teams also tend to learn things from crazy trades for risky QBs that don't pan out ala RG3 and Trubisky. Unless the guy you're going after is a consensus top blue chip QB prospect you're probably better served by either waiting to see if he falls to you (Haskins for example) or getting a project type guy with upside in the 2nd or 3rd and seeing what happens next draft.

Can you imagine if Miami took that huge gamble and gave up the farm to move up for Tua or Herbert, including their 1st next year, and their guy busts (or gets injured) and they end up with what would have been the #1 overall pick in 2021 where they could have taken Lawrence?

If Tua is falling (and I think it's quite possible) then that doesn't necessarily mean that Herbert is suddenly rocketing up the boards. They're both boom or bust prospects IMO. Tua is extremely talented but clearly injury prone, and Herbert has plenty of talent but is very inconsistent in multiple areas and has some pretty clear holes in his game. I think it's much more likely that the Phins and the Chargers stay where they are. Maybe I could see one of the giving up a moderate pick to try and go up to 4 if they think the other is going to do so. But if they both are ok with taking either Herbert or Tua at 5 or 6 then why not just stay there?

I don't disagree that Miami stays put but I have no clue what they will do. For all we know they'll trade back with Atlanta for even more picks and scoop up Jordan Love? Who knows? 

Or, they may panic and feel like they HAVE to get Herbert at all costs....Cleveland's owner took Johnny Manziel because a homeless man told him to and that's the same year that Jerry Jones had to be tied up and gagged to not take Manziel. Some of these owners step in and screw up everything....isn't this how we supposedly got Haskins (Dan stepping in and making the pick)?

Who's to say Miami's owner doesn't step in and demand a trade up? I don't buy your theory that teams learn from others mistakes because some owners NEVER learn....Did you see the stat where Cleveland has had two first round picks four different years and they only hit on 1 of the 8 first round selections? That's brutal. 

Guess we'll see what happens?

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't like the fact that he says he will call Snyder.  If he follows the Redskins and he's a local guy still I believe, he knows that Dan supposedly gave the reigns over to RR.  I would hope that Bruce Smith realizes that everything is supposed to go through RR instead of Dan and I hope that's the way things are happening.  If RR is for it then ok.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I don't like the fact that he says he will call Snyder.  If he follows the Redskins and he's a local guy still I believe, he knows that Dan supposedly gave the reigns over to RR.  I would hope that Bruce Smith realizes that everything is supposed to go through RR instead of Dan and I hope that's the way things are happening.  If RR is for it then ok.  

Agreed.

Only if Rivera is completely on board with it. I don't want Smith going over the coach's head to Snyder.

That's where dysfunction starts.

I also would prefer that Smith be in close contact with the coaches if he mentored Young. Primarily, because I would want him and the coaches (Rivera and Del Rio) to be on the same page in what they are instructing Young about.

The kid doesn't need five different voices in his ear telling him five different things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

50 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Agreed.

Only if Rivera is completely on board with it. I don't want Smith going over the coach's head to Snyder.

That's where dysfunction starts.

I also would prefer that Smith be in close contact with the coaches if he mentored Young. Primarily, because I would want him and the coaches (Rivera and Del Rio) to be on the same page in what they are instructing Young about.

The kid doesn't need five different voices in his ear telling him five different things.

Aren't Dan and Bruce tight from when he played here?  Wasn't Smith one of the guys Dan coveted, wined and dined?  Bruce is a 'local' guy, grew up in Norfolk and went to Va Tech.  I believe i saw that he lives in Va Beach now too.  

I would like to believe there would be the level of professionalism that Bruce would know Rivera is the head coach and his direct report.  Now I don't know what an NFL front office dynamic generally is, but I can't see either Bruce or Dan wanting to accept a level of a barrier between them.  I love the idea of Bruce being a tutor to our D-Line, but not sure I want him in any real management role.  Maybe a consultant where he's directing, but isn't necessarily a coach.  I have the same feeling about Alex Smith.... the idea is grand, but he was awfully chummy with Snyder, but Smith will be much more recently removed form player status so he might not have the same issue with not reporting to Dan. 

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't disagree that Miami stays put but I have no clue what they will do. For all we know they'll trade back with Atlanta for even more picks and scoop up Jordan Love? Who knows? 

Or, they may panic and feel like they HAVE to get Herbert at all costs....Cleveland's owner took Johnny Manziel because a homeless man told him to and that's the same year that Jerry Jones had to be tied up and gagged to not take Manziel. Some of these owners step in and screw up everything....isn't this how we supposedly got Haskins (Dan stepping in and making the pick)?

Who's to say Miami's owner doesn't step in and demand a trade up? I don't buy your theory that teams learn from others mistakes because some owners NEVER learn....Did you see the stat where Cleveland has had two first round picks four different years and they only hit on 1 of the 8 first round selections? That's brutal. 

Guess we'll see what happens?

Sure, I suppose it's possible for Ross to butt in and instruct his people to take someone but I haven't really heard of him being like that from what I remember. He isn't a Dan or Jerry or Al Davis. Cleveland is really its own beast and in its own category with how poorly and insanely it's been run since coming back into the league. Yes, it seems that Dan definitely had influence on us picking Haskins, but he also didn't force anyone to trade up for him; we still waited to see if he fell and picked him at 15.. That's far different than giving up multiple 1st round picks to move up for a risky boom or bust QB prospect. 

You may not buy the theory about teams learning from crazy trades that backfired, but it seems to be true. Has any team done something as nutty as the Herschel Walker trade after it blew up on the Vikings and turned the Girls into a SB winning dynasty in the 90s? Has any team pulled a Ricky Wilson trade and given up their entire draft to move up for one player? Has any team done anything quite as nuts as the RG3 trade for a QB since we did that? The Bears gave up a decent amount for Trubisky, but not close to the RG3 trade. 

I don't think the Phins are going to go nuts to trade up; there's no reason for them to, especially if both of the main second tier 1st round QBs will likely be there at 5. As you said, maybe they even like one of the QBs who may be there at one of their later picks, like Love. Personally I find that more likely than them using all of the draft capital they've amassed for a rebuild and to move up for a risky QB prospect (be it Tua or Herbert). The smart money has them standing pat. 

The good news in all of this is that we'll be able to stop debating it soon.  :ols:

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You may not buy the theory about teams learning from crazy trades that backfired, but it seems to be true. Has any team done something as nutty as the Herschel Walker trade after it blew up on the Vikings and turned the Girls into a SB winning dynasty in the 90s? Has any team pulled a Ricky Wilson trade and given up their entire draft to move up for one player? Has any team done anything quite as nuts as the RG3 trade for a QB since we did that? The Bears gave up a decent amount for Trubisky, but not close to the RG3 trade. 

In some ways you answered your own question: Yes, teams, every so often do crazy things based on who's in charge regardless of bad moves made years prior.. Each of the situations you list happened years after the prior crazy trade. And, to me the Trubisky deal is equally as bad as all of the other deals you list. Think about it, if a team gives up 4 picks to move up one spot to take Mitch freakin Trubisky then anything is possible with Miami or some other team. I don't put anything past Gruden....or Cleveland. 

I agree it's not likely that Miami goes up to 2 but I do think it's 50/50 they move up to #3 overall to secure Herbert. If they don't I think someone will and it's not gonna be cheap. Detroit wlll make out very well if they're gonna move out of the 3 spot.

Enjoy the draft, I gotta believe this will be the most watched draft ever simply cause there's no other sports on. Kudos to the NFL for staying the course and giving us some sports entertainment....for that, Goodell should be applauded.....after he's booed. 

16 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I always laugh at people talking about Philly/Eagles fans bc they saw a clip of batteries being thrown at Santa in the 70s or whatever. Most haven't been to Philly to judge. It's a great city and in my experience while they are homers, they generally have less casual fans and more knowledge about their team and the league than most fanbases. 

Oh, it just wasn't the 70s. They throw up on children, beat people up because...well...because, and literally eat horse****. Every fanbase has their special children...Philly seems to have the most.

That being said, while I was thanking them for invading FedEx and getting Snyder to finally fire Allen, they can disappear like the April Phillies fans at Nats Park.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mistertim said:

Teams constantly use high picks, or even more revealing bad teams often trade multiple high picks to move into the position to draft a QB, because they don't believe the way to build a team is to build up the roster, and then slap any mid-level QB in and have lasting success.  No GM has ever said that was the strategy when he is introduced, if they did believe that they would be utilizing those picks to build the roster.

They trade high picks because they understand the value of the QB position, they do this for any other position which is why I will never understand the "Trent Dilfer" conversations I have had here. 

31 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

In some ways you answered your own question: Yes, teams, every so often do crazy things based on who's in charge regardless of bad moves made years prior.. Each of the situations you list happened years after the prior crazy trade. And, to me the Trubisky deal is equally as bad as all of the other deals you list. Think about it, if a team gives up 4 picks to move up one spot to take Mitch freakin Trubisky then anything is possible with Miami or some other team. I don't put anything past Gruden....or Cleveland. 

I agree it's not likely that Miami goes up to 2 but I do think it's 50/50 they move up to #3 overall to secure Herbert. If they don't I think someone will and it's not gonna be cheap. Detroit wlll make out very well if they're gonna move out of the 3 spot.

Enjoy the draft, I gotta believe this will be the most watched draft ever simply cause there's no other sports on. Kudos to the NFL for staying the course and giving us some sports entertainment....for that, Goodell should be applauded.....after he's booed. 

The Trubisky trade wasn't anything close to the other ones I was talking about. The Bears gave up 3, 67, 111, and a 2018 3rd round pick to move to 2. They didn't actually "give up" 3 since it was just a swap for 2. So they "gave up" 67, 111 in 2017, and 70 in 2018. That's not anywhere near the Walker, Williams, or RG3 trades. 

To me the biggest thing about the Trubisky trade was how bizarre it was. They were at 3. SF wasn't going to take him at 2 and I seriously doubt there were any other teams with ants in their pants to trade up to 2 for him. It was absolutely insane. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

I love Bruce Smith, and respect what he did in the league.......true legend, former Redskins, fellow Virginian. But I don't want him anywhere near Chase Young. Rivera has chosen his coaches and is running this ship the way he wants to. We don't need any outside celebrity figures of Redskins heritage gaining the ear of Snyder through a superstar player. Leave this to Rivera and his chosen coaching staff. The DC is Del Rio, not Ron Lynn. Under Del Rio, we've seen players with vast potential develop into NFL stars and terrorize offenses. Let's leave this alone.

• Thanks 1

Just now, LetThePointsSoar said:

If Chase isn't a Redskin by tomorrow night, I'm blaming y'all and this thread dammit. 

Please dear 8lb 5 sweet baby Jesus, let us have nice things for once... 

Hail. 

I choose to blame Bruce Smith. 

fF3pV1.gif

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The Trubisky trade wasn't anything close to the other ones I was talking about. The Bears gave up 3, 67, 111, and a 2018 3rd round pick to move to 2. They didn't actually "give up" 3 since it was just a swap for 2. So they "gave up" 67, 111 in 2017, and 70 in 2018. That's not anywhere near the Walker, Williams, or RG3 trades. 

To me the biggest thing about the Trubisky trade was how bizarre it was. They were at 3. SF wasn't going to take him at 2 and I seriously doubt there were any other teams with ants in their pants to trade up to 2 for him. It was absolutely insane. 

Yep, that's what I'm talking about, teams panic when they hear the smokescreens....to me, the worst part of the deal is the player they moved up one spot to get. They must've been fooled into thinking SF had a trade partner or maybe SF really did? Keep an eye out for stuff like that happening tomorrow...the Bears may regret that trade for many, many years. 

39 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

It's amazing to me how much faster Chase Young's 1st step looks now than it did then. He looks so much twitchier. 

After watching that clip several times then watching some of his pass rushes from this past season, I think it's all about technique and efficiency. IMO he had that speed and twitch back in HS but he wasn't maximizing it. He was taking more unnecessary steps, was letting the blocker get to his pads before initiating his hands, and he wasn't flipping his hips as early to get to the QB. He was basically going mostly on athleticism and size (which is pretty normal for a top HS prospect...and even most college prospects). 

• Like 1