Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

It's wild how much he improved in such a short time at strip sacks (from 1 FF in 13 games in 2018 to 7 in 12 games in 2019). In that clip above, he wasn't even hitting the QB from the blind side, but his hand still seemingly instinctively went to where the QB was holding the ball and jarred it loose. Dude seems to be an incredibly fast learner. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It's wild how much he improved in such a short time at strip sacks (from 1 FF in 13 games in 2018 to 7 in 12 games in 2019). In that clip above, he wasn't even hitting the QB from the blind side, but his hand still seemingly instinctively went to where the QB was holding the ball and jarred it loose. Dude seems to be an incredibly fast learner. 

Love jumping on this point when made, his strip sack ability seems to be legit. It doesn’t get mentioned at all when listening to guys on the radio or other mediums, maybe some deem it to be a frivolous or luck type stat, but there seems to be a huge skill component to it. 

The strip sack and recovery is when the pass rusher comes damn close to impacting a game like an elite QB. 

• Like 4

Mike Jones, the basketball coach, remembered how Young helped corral unruly students in public-speaking class.

“It wasn't fake either,” Jones said. “It wasn't the Eddie Haskell, ‘I'm doing this because Coach is here.’ There was no B.S.”

On the field, the new kid quickly asserted himself as one of the Stags’ best players. He refused to take practices easy and often snuck in extra reps with the scout team, where he exasperated coaches by blowing up the offense. Young learned power pass-rush moves to complement his natural speed, and as a junior, he registered 19 sacks.

The team’s coach, Elijah Brooks, remembered Young didn’t shy away from his success. He let everyone know how good he was and what the team needed to do to win — including opposing players or older teammates.

“He never backed down from anyone,” Brooks said. “If people have something verbal to say to him, or if they challenge him on the field, he's always going to be on time to address it. That's how alphas operate.”

On campus, Johnson began building the skill set over which NFL scouts now drool. He honed Young’s natural athleticism, harnessed his explosive first step and taught him the side-scissors pass-rush move. He gave Young teaching tape on past players, such as Tamba Hali. He saw Young become an understudy to sophomore Nick Bosa.

“Nick was his guy,” Johnson said. “He watched everything he did.”

It took about a year for Young to “drink the Kool Aid,” Johnson said, but as a sophomore, Young stepped in for an injured Bosa and burst onto the national stage with 10 1/2 sacks. The next season, Young broke Ohio State’s single-season sack record with 16 ½ in 12 games and became the ninth defensive player since 1982 to be a finalist for the Heisman Trophy.

...What separates Young from past elite edge-rushing prospects like the Bosa brothers, Johnson said, is his versatility. He’s not only 6-foot-6 and 265 pounds, he has also been shaped by years of Gibson’s fast-paced circuit training that modeled him as a running back rather than a defensive lineman. Ohio State leaned on Young to play multiple roles: He would hunt down the quarterback on one play, and drop into coverage the next.

“Not that the Bosas couldn’t do that,” Johnson said, “but he does it fluid.”

13 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Love jumping on this point when made, his strip sack ability seems to be legit. It doesn’t get mentioned at all when listening to guys on the radio or other mediums, maybe some deem it to be a frivolous or luck type stat, but there seems to be a huge skill component to it. 

The strip sack and recovery is when the pass rusher comes damn close to impacting a game like an elite QB. 

I've seen him interviewed on this multiple times, he's focus is always on the strip. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Apex Predator - also known as an alpha predator or top predator, is a predator at the top of a food chain, without natural predators. Apex predators are usually defined in terms of trophic dynamics, meaning that they occupy the highest trophic levels.

5A06EE99-A617-4CAC-A595-FB7D1775900E.gif.93eafe324ff28dcbacbcd3a6d3f6b919.gif

👊👊👊👊👊

• Like 2

This is the most excited I have ever been for a Redskins draft pick and pray to hear...

“With the 2nd pick in the 2020 NFL Draft..the Washington Redskins select The Ohio State University Defensive End Chase Young!”

After the selection I plan on posting a carefully selected gif in the draft thread, followed by pouring a glass of cabernet, and smoke a cigar in celebration!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

This is the most excited I have ever been for a Redskins draft pick and pray to hear...

“With the 2nd pick in the 2020 NFL Draft..the Washington Redskins select The Ohio State University Defensive End Chase Young!”

After the selection I plan on posting a carefully selected gif in the draft thread, followed by pouring a glass of cabernet, and smoke a cigar in celebration!

sounds like a post intimate scene sequence.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Me, too.  Only thing tops it for me, was gasp RG3.  Hopefully this one turns better.  😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Me too. Beating out the 2000 draft when we had picks #2 and #3. Lavar and Chris Samuels back to back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Sean Taylor for me. I watched his junior season at UofM and couldn’t believe a safety could be the best player on the field every game I saw Miami play.

Still hurts thinking about ST. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

If Chase Young is as good as advertised, that makes him a generational talent/prospect.  There are no 100% guarantees in the NFL, but if Young comes in and has that immediate dominant impact, he then instantly becomes a guy on defense you can build around over the next couple of offseasons.  The Redskins have been lacking a player of that caliber in their front 7 for awhile now.  A guy that is so ferocious and dominant that anyone you put next to and/or around him magically becomes a better player.  I feel that we have had to settle for solid but non-impact players for too long. the team is finally in position to draft a guy who has all the makings of a monster. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sean Taylor had half a great season and a bucket of disappointment and **** Trent Williams.

Lol. I agree with you on Trent but 21 was much, much more than 'half a great season and a bucket of disappointment'.

Edited by NYSkins21
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3