Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith's future with the team....

NoCalMike

Great interview with Smith from ESPN.  He just appears to be grateful at this time & taking everything day by day.  When he was asked whether he would play again he just said that he was not sure.  I truly admire him & want to see him do well in whatever he does, but I just don't see it as being an NFL QB at this time. That might be in his best interest anyhow & he appears to have a very bright future quite possibly in an NFL front office - either with the Skins or some other team.

2 minutes ago, dicksogj said:

Great interview with Smith from ESPN.  He just appears to be grateful at this time & taking everything day by day.  When he was asked whether he would play again he just said that he was not sure.  I truly admire him & want to see him do well in whatever he does, but I just don't see it as being an NFL QB at this time. That might be in his best interest anyhow & he appears to have a very bright future quite possibly in an NFL front office - either with the Skins or some other team.

That's interesting. Hasn't he been saying all along when asked that his plan was absolutely to play again? If he's saying he's not sure now that's a bit of a departure. 

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

That's interesting. Hasn't he been saying all along when asked that his plan was absolutely to play again? If he's saying he's not sure now that's a bit of a departure. 

a guy who almost lost his leg and his life on a football field just knows that plans don't always work out

Both we and Alex have all known from the start he was never going to play again.  When you have to decide whether to amputate your leg or not, you know that you arent playing football again.  Its just a matter of whether hes going to collect a full years salary this year or not before he retires.

As he said in the interview, he dodged one there and has a lot to be thankful for. He would be foolish to risk his health just to get back on the football field again. He was the first overall pick and has already played 12 years in the league. That is a good career both in longevity and financially. At this point he just needs to say and do enough to be able to collect the guaranteed money on his contract and for the team to get the insurance payout. 

Hope he is able to play and push Haskins in preseason but I don't want him starting at this point.  He should be a mentor to Haskins and transition to a front office position soon.  He shouldn't be screwing with is health at his age.

1 hour ago, owa said:

Hope he is able to play and push Haskins in preseason but I don't want him starting at this point.  He should be a mentor to Haskins and transition to a front office position soon.  He shouldn't be screwing with is health at his age.

I'd be shocked if Alex Smith ever steps on a football field again. That being said, we can't really cut him this year without a huuuge dead cap hit so who knows what will happen. He might get "cleared" medically, but that's a long way from actually playing professional football again after an injury that gruesome. 

I just don't want to see Alex Smith on an NFL football field during a game ever again. I can't even imagine the psychological ramifications this has had on him and I certainly don't want to see how he processes a brisk rush coming his way during live game action....i just can't and do not want imagine how he will react.  

My hope as many have mentioned is that he mentors Haskins, and they let him go after the upcoming season.

I think he intends to play, but is respectful of the process and continued work ahead. I lean towards him making it back out there— I have nothing to base this on lol

His life being on the line due to complications is potentially clouding what the actual recovery process is. Him being septic and facing amputation has nothing to do with his recovery, right?

• 2 months later...

I don't disagree, I just don't see Smith seeing the field again.  From below, and as Warhead36 said above, they can cut him next off season.

From:  https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-closer-look-alex-smiths-contract-redskins

The cap hits on the contract are as follows: 

2018: $18.4 million
2019: $20.0 million
2020: $21.4 million
2021: $24.4 million
2022: $26.4 million

The Redskins can realistically move on from Smith after 2020. There would be net cap savings of $13 million in 2021 and $21 million in 2022. 

3 hours ago, Fred Jones said:

I don't disagree, I just don't see Smith seeing the field again.  From below, and as Warhead36 said above, they can cut him next off season.

From:  https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-closer-look-alex-smiths-contract-redskins

The cap hits on the contract are as follows: 

2018: $18.4 million
2019: $20.0 million
2020: $21.4 million
2021: $24.4 million
2022: $26.4 million

The Redskins can realistically move on from Smith after 2020. There would be net cap savings of $13 million in 2021 and $21 million in 2022. 

Man what a waste. Feel sorry the guy got hurt but there should be a rule that his salery should not count against the cap if he cannot play. Seems like a double hit against the team. Team looses a player plus they have his salary count against the cap. We could've had a bunch of good players on the field for what approx $80 mill. If it wasn't for bad luck we wouldn't have no luck at all.

On 4/26/2020 at 3:55 PM, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Man what a waste. Feel sorry the guy got hurt but there should be a rule that his salery should not count against the cap if he cannot play. Seems like a double hit against the team. Team looses a player plus they have his salary count against the cap. We could've had a bunch of good players on the field for what approx $80 mill. If it wasn't for bad luck we wouldn't have no luck at all.

True, but how often does something like this happen? Not nearly as often as you think.

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

It's amazing this guy has a leg.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming doc about him.  

Check out this pic, if you have a strong stomach.

I'm a doc, and that looks like a leg that should come off.

Jeebus...man, I want nothing but the best for Alex Smith, what a horrible thing to have to experience. We paying him this year?... I no longer give a **** lol. Damn.

Maaaaan, that leg. He's been relentless in his rehab. If he never plays another down of football (and I hope he doesn't), he's already one hell of a champion to have overcome this. He won something that is far more - and far more important - than a game.

23 hours ago, bcl05 said:

I'm a doc, and that looks like a leg that should come off.

What's your opinion, based on what you know of his current condition, as far as his prospects for something close to a full recovery ?

We know one thing - he sure doesn't lack the finances for the best possible care and rehab :)

If he ever gets on an NFL field again, they'd have to do yet another documentary for best comeback story ever.

We have $30+ million in cap space and no one wants to sign here.

Just get it over with already, Jordan Reed this man for his own good, FFS.

I can't with a straight face look at that leg and hope he finally gets back on the field after pushing Reed off it. Staying consistent here, it's right thing to do.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What's your opinion, based on what you know of his current condition, as far as his prospects for something close to a full recovery ?

We know one thing - he sure doesn't lack the finances for the best possible care and rehab :)

If he ever gets on an NFL field again, they'd have to do yet another documentary for best comeback story ever.

I really have no idea.  I have no insight to his medical situation other than what I've seen in the press.  I find the fact that he's walking and running on that leg absolutely awe-inspiring.  He has been through hell.  Amputation would certainly have been an easier road, from a pain and rehabilitation standpoint.  

I seriously doubt he has any future on a football field, but wow.  He's awfully impressive just to be trying.  

I'll be watching Friday night.  

Archived