Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith's future with the team....

NoCalMike

I would love Alex Smith to find a gig with the Skin's FO. He is a 3x Pro Bowler, an inspiration and a very bright man -earning his bachelor’s degree in economics in two years with a 3.74 GPA (having matriculated with 64 earned credit hours prior to attending university) and began working on his master’s degree before being drafted by the NFL. 

I just saw his leg for the first time since the surgery.  It’s amazing he can walk.  Redskins owe him something I think.  I watched the game, but I don’t remember the hit being that bad.   But you can clearly see the affects of what happened.

I hope Smith does come back to play. Even if it's just to play a drive or two of garbage time, I think he'd get a standing ovation from the crowd and I think he'd well deserve it. He won't be ending his career with Super Bowl or likely even a game started, but he'd be ending it with pride and proving he could still do it.

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I just saw his leg for the first time since the surgery.  It’s amazing he can walk.  Redskins owe him something I think.  I watched the game, but I don’t remember the hit being that bad.   But you can clearly see the affects of what happened.

He's getting quite a bit from the Redskins.

Don't think I'm understating or making light of his injury. But he's getting very very well compensated.

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

He's getting quite a bit from the Redskins.

Don't think I'm understating or making light of his injury. But he's getting very very well compensated.

I don’t call it making light of.  I was just on another forum where a thread was started specifically for him, that contained pictures of the condition of his leg as of today.  And this is Alex Smith’s thread is it not?  I could understand if I started a whole different thread about it, but I didn’t.  So where are you going with this?

Maybe if you saw the pictures that I thought would be in poor taste to post, you’d understand.

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I can understand the Redskins feeling bad for Alex, doing the right thing by making sure hes compensated, keeping him in the roster, etc. But why would they "owe" him anything? Injuries are part of the game and they get paid very well for the risks they take and the game they play. It's not like there was employer negligence involved. I love the way they've handled his situation. With a great deal of humanity and integrity.

6 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I don’t call it making light of.  I was just on another forum where a thread was started specifically for him, that contained pictures of the condition of his leg as of today.  And this is Alex Smith’s thread is it not?  I could understand if I started a whole different thread about it, but I didn’t.  So where are you going with this?

Maybe if you saw the pictures that I thought would be in poor taste to post, you’d understand.

Sorry, my post possibly wasn't clear enough. I was saying that I wasn't trying to make light of his injury by pointing out that he is being very well compensated. I wasn't accusing you or anyone else of making light of it. 

2 hours ago, NYSkins21 said:

I can understand the Redskins feeling bad for Alex, doing the right thing by making sure hes compensated, keeping him in the roster, etc. But why would they "owe" him anything? Injuries are part of the game and they get paid very well for the risks they take and the game they play. It's not like there was employer negligence involved. I love the way they've handled his situation. With a great deal of humanity and integrity.

He almost died.

38 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

What is it you believe he is owed? Honest question. More money? A FO position? Some other job in the organization? What would you like to see them do for him. 

Theyve handled it well.  But if you almost lost your life playing football.  Would you feel the same way?  Give him a f.o. Job he’s qualified for.  Makes sense imo.

4 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Theyve handled it well.  But if you almost lost your life playing football.  Would you feel the same way?  Give him a f.o. Job he’s qualified for.  Makes sense imo.

So you want to give hi ma FO if e is qualified. I agree with that but I do not agree they owe it to him. If he wants to and they think he is a good fit to the coaching team then great. I actually think he will make a great coach.

I just do not see that they own him anything but health care and the money owed on his contract. He knew th risk when he decided to play.

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

this is nuts. They don’t owe him anything. He had a freak injury that could have happened to anyone 

But it doesn’t just happen to anyone.  “Owe” is a strong word. But they should keep him in some capacity which they’ve been doing.  This happens to qb’s even with all the rules they have in place to protect them.

None of you have seen what his leg looks like today. 

Here:   Warning!!!! Graphic

Spoiler

Yea it’s real “nuts”. 🙄

6 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

But they should keep him in some capacity which they’ve been doing.  This happens to qb’s even with all the rules they have in place to protect them.

None of you have seen what his leg looks like today

I don't see why they should. It’s bad business. The man has been incredibly well paid, highly overpaid in fact, for his value and contribution to the team. It’s unfortunate we couldn’t move on from him sooner, honestly. 

it’s a tough business. You can’t let gruesome injuries guilt trip you into bad decisions. We’ve doubled down on mistakes long enough, no need to keep that up. 

I’m sorry he has a ****ed up leg but everybody knows the risks in football. We did right by him and do not need to do anything more 

If his almost dying was a direct result of the Redskins negligence, and any post-injury contractual related items/medical issues weren't honored, then sure, they'd owe him something, big time. 

But, I'm not seeing what he's supposedly owed. I mean, doing something because it seems like the right thing to do, is always good, but that's different than being owed something.

The fact that he almost died isn't a legitimate excuse as to why this should be handled beyond what is mandated per the NFL's current collective bargaining agreement. 

I've seen the leg. I would have zero problem if he were cut tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

But it doesn’t just happen to anyone.  “Owe” is a strong word. But they should keep him in some capacity which they’ve been doing.  This happens to qb’s even with all the rules they have in place to protect them.

None of you have seen what his leg looks like today. 

Here:   Warning!!!! Graphic

Hide contents

Yea it’s real “nuts”. 🙄

I think we all get what your saying and I think we've all seen the photo but what most of us are saying is that the Skins dont owe him anything. The can and are doing good by him but they dont "owe" him anything.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I would have zero problem if he were cut tomorrow.

They cant cut him until hes finished with his rehabilitation without an injury settlement. So, NO they cant cut him.  Period. 

As a veteran he remains on IR until either a settlement, which means he wouldn't agree to, ever.  Or he passes a physical, then and only then can they CUT him.  The Redskins are on the hook for every penny of his contract and all medical expenses until he Retires (which would mean an injury settlement) or he passes a physical. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

If his almost dying was a direct result of the Redskins negligence, and any post-injury contractual related items/medical issues weren't honored, then sure, they'd owe him something, big time. 

How do you feel about Trents misdiagnosis?

Understand that AS looses multi-millions if he doesn't try to get back on the field.  So praise him all you want but he is milking it, big time.  nobody will blame him.  However, if he wasn't saying that hes trying to play football again then it opens up a legal issue that would cost him millions!  The way hes doing it is exactly what any attorney would advise you to do.  Its classic workman's comp rules and as long as he does and says the right thing they cannot cut him until 2021.  In 2021 they would reach an injury settlement paying out all his $71,000,000 guaranteed plus future medical expenses up to the point of maximum expected recovery.  Eventually a doctor will say he has reached maximum recovery and then he fails the physical and they can cut him.  Do not expect that before 2021. 

Archived