Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Skins vs Putty Cats

TK

29 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I respect you so I know this isn't just a troll post, but its not like he was making these really dumb decisions.

This was my positive takeaway from Haskins. He didn't make many dumb decisions. He almost always made the right decisions. That's always the hardest part for a rookie and if he can keep doing that, the accuracy will come. 

13 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

This was my positive takeaway from Haskins. He didn't make many dumb decisions. He almost always made the right decisions. That's always the hardest part for a rookie and if he can keep doing that, the accuracy will come. 

The problem with that is that the accuracy never comes.

What QB has suddenly gone from totally inaccurate to Drew Brees?

3 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Many young qbs throw the ball too hard early in their careers and see things improve. I think it's a part of the game slowing down. It's not like he had a 50% completion in college. We know he can do it. He just needs time. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I totally get that but at the same time if we can win and Haskins / Harmon / McLaurin / Guice / Holcomb  / Moreau / Moreland / Sweat come on and show that they belong in this league, it makes the loss of Sweat feel less bad. It'd be one thing if we won this game with old guys doing most of the play but Christian came in at LT (how did he play), lots of other young players came in and so we have film on them. 

Will any become superstars who sell tickets? Well Haskins definitely has that potential, as does McLaurin. Others may be just names. Sweat has potential and he made a play today (haven't seen it yet).

But the other thing is do we trust the FO. There's the Bruce Allen thread and the Kyle Smith thread, but I'll say that these last few games will (should) give us a lot of information about how good Kyle Smith is as a scout. If these young guys can produce then I'll continue to have faith that Kyle Smith can bring in guys to make this a better football team. Maybe they won't have the sure fire impact of a Chase Young but nobody had heard of Holcomb before the draft, suddenly he's one of the top rookie LBs. I don't think he's on Chase Young's level but the question becomes can we win this year and still draft well next year. 

And I'm still very excited about Harmon. He's the slept on guy in this offense but he was top tier on many draft boards and has another week of good production

Wow that was a BEAUTIFUL 4th quarter pass to Harmon. 

I go no doubt we can find Holcomb type players.  51.6 PFF grade.  The dude has his moments.  He's not in the conversation as to being an elite MLB or anything special but he might be good.  We can do good.  We can find good players.   We can build 8-8 rosters.  I don't think the FO is lost as a 2-14 type of operation, I think they got mediocre in them.  I think they are missing consistent good to great and part of that IMO is about finding great players. 

You are the dude that leads some on the point that Kyle might be overrated and this team consistently fails to find elite level stars.   I think I've been a bigger fan of Kyle than you but I do agree with the elite player stuff.  I don't think its a coincidence that we typically don't make any of the top 100 player lists or if we do its the late part of the top 100 regardless of who is making the lists, PFF, NFL Network, players selecting or whatever. 

I wasn't impressed with Haskins in either of his two starts but I don't want to overdo the point because I think the dude deserves a decent size sample.  I watched Daniel Jones play those same two teams and he looked light years ahead.  I am not in either camp of he's the goods or a bust.  I just want to see the movie play out.  If I had to land on a position right now I'd go negative over positive.  I don't leave this game thinking what a relief because we got a franchise QB.  It's possible.  But I wouldn't put money in Vegas on it right now.  But I still want to see more games before judging. 

Some of the players you are hyped about including Harmon and McLaurin were dudes I touted before they became Redskins.  Yeah I was maybe even the biggest cheerleader arguably of both dudes especially the day we drafted them.  But it doesn't in my view have anything about my point about landing a borderline sure fire bonafide stud which is much easier to do the higher you pick. 

Even with it being Haskins rookie season, and his skillset being what it is, I don't think it merits looking away from a QB in the draft, if there's one worth getting.

Just because a QB isn't highly touted doesn't mean they can't develop.

I still believe they should be looking at QBs and locking onto a couple { if available } and keeping an eye on them, getting them in a timely manner. The current bunch of QBs should be let go, maybe keeping 1 of them, and maintaining a 3-QB team; we all know what happens when they rely on 2.

35 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

He's working hard to speed up his process.  Once he gets used to that pace, he will be ok. 

The defense played well without Norman giving up his customary TD.

27 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

That's my concern -- Haskins' accuracy.  Ditto from what I saw in practice when I watched some camp in the summer.  He was often wild with his accuracy even with some relatively easy type throws.   

I thought JP Finlay dropped a bomb on the pregame show saying multiple coaches have told him that don't expect Haskins to show enough this season ( and if I heard him right he snuck in next season, too) to be assured that he has the goods to be a franchise QB or something like that.   Pauslen, Sheehan, Russell among others have said the whispers from Redskins Park hasn't been that great as to Haskins.  My takeaway from all of that is what we are seeing in games, they are also seeing in practice.

I am not condemning the dude either.  If people want to cling to this or that I am cool to go on that ride.  I am undecided on Haskins.  I just am not chilling based on what I am seeing based on what I've seen thus far.  I don't think there is anything where we can rule out he's the goods or for that matter he ends up a bust. 

28 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Accuracy was one of DH's strengths in college.  He typically had plenty of time and threw to guys that were very open, but he threw the ball well.  There has been much said about his footwork and I think he less accurate when he doesn't get his feet set, but this is definitely a teachable process.  The kid won his first game, cut him some slack.

Awesome win and much needed.  I almost gave up watching a couple of times because I got so frustrated with the run on first down almost every time but thankfully they pulled off the win.  We need to be more aggressive so don't understand the conservative play calling when we have nothing to lose.  Sure he might miss some but really think the play calling needs to help Haskins get into a rhythm.  Currently, seems like the play calling is making it really hard on him. Run twice for a few yards and then pass.  I wish they'd run a no-huddle the whole game and see what that provides.  I really don't understand why they're playing things so conservatively.  Same with the defense but glad to see they came with more pressure a couple of times today.

34 minutes ago, evmiii said:

Accuracy was one of DH's strengths in college.  He typically had plenty of time and threw to guys that were very open, but he threw the ball well.  There has been much said about his footwork and I think he less accurate when he doesn't get his feet set, but this is definitely a teachable process.  The kid won his first game, cut him some slack.

Today he missed many guys by a mile that were wide open. Sorry your post holds no water. Total bust. 

44 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Haskins has a monster arm.  His touch is non-existent and his accuracy is questionable.  Let's hope that he develops touch.  As the game slows down for him and and he is less excited about playing, I'm hoping the accuracy comes.  Overall, I think he did well today.

Sounds like JaMarcus Russell.

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

It was good to see our young players make some plays and have some fun.  Miami still plays the Giants and Bengals so the odds are still good that we can get that 2nd spot.

I really like Guice, he's one of a very few players I've seen come back from a major knee injury with the same level of energy, he has no fear and it will be fun to see him and Love in the backfield next year.

With Haskins, I just have to bite my tongue and hope that the people who say to be patient know what they're talking about, I personally haven't seen any noticeable improvement from week to week but I'm not a scout or coach so maybe they are seeing little steps that will eventually add up to bigger ones.

It's possible we have some very good young WR talent, better than we might think but it's not able to show itself for various reasons.

I'm one of the guys saying be patient with Haskins and I see what his critics are concerned about but he's had only 3 starts lets see how he finishes out the year.  Hopefully the last 3 starts are better than the first 3 starts.

Archived