Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Skins vs Putty Cats

TK

Just now, JSSkinz said:

Based on the way the tiebreakers work I'm not sure why we are 4th.  SOS is supposed to be the draft tiebreaker and ours is better than the Giants and Fins.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfldraftorder.html

That's the point.

Ours being better means they have the same record against worse teams and are therefore worse than us and warrant a higher pick

2 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Yep but Top 5 isn't Chase Young or a haul of draft picks is it?

Top 5 is fine, but we've had such a ****ty season, and I feel we deserve a reward for that. Blowout wins or any kind of defeat is fine. These garbage, ****ty wins against terrible teams just doesn't do anything for me.

Maybe it doesnt matter to you because you are on another continent.  For people like me that regular go to the games, getting our first home win is a big deal.  For season ticket holders getting ready to let them go, I'm happy for them.

What makes you think it we wont be able to trade down if it's not a pick to get Young or that we will win anymore games anyway?

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Very happy for DH to get that first win as a pro.....all of a sudden the Eagles are becoming a very beatable team for us too, they have major injury issues. 

I could see us getting to 4 wins which would be devastating. 

Everything here looks true except the devistating part. If we could finish with more wins this year, I'm assuming that means we're getting positive results from our young players which means we (and the new coaching staff) will have a lot to build on next year. 

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

Are you watching the game on Saturn or something?

Bro, it's been over for an hour +.

Yeah I had things come up so I had to pause it until I finished with my work. Now I'm watching it (knowing that we won). I understand the limited supply of NFL games so I really don't want to miss one from my favorite team. 

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Maybe it doesnt matter to you because you are on another continent.  For people like me that regular go to the games, getting our first home win is a big deal.  For season ticket holders getting ready to let them go, I'm happy for them.

What makes you think it we wont be able to trade down if it's not a pick to get Young or that we will win anymore games anyway?

Yep, I get that, and it's fair enough - but I watch every single game and have done for a decade, including the 1:30am starts when I have work the next day. Once or twice when the season has been wrapped up before a late game, I've watched it the next day, but normally I stay up for them. Even despite that, I just don't get any joy from beating a bad team and playing like **** doing it.

We need a trade partner and with Tua done, who are people trading up for except Burrows or Chase? Jeudy? Maybe but I don't see it.

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I could see us getting to 4 wins which would be devastating. 

You actually think we have any chance for more wins? We face the panthers next week. L, 2-10

then the packers. L, 2-11

then the eagles, and Wentz owns us. 2-12

giants, maybe we beat them. MAYBE. 

Then Dallas. L. 

At “best”, 3-13. At worst, 2-14. 

Just now, JSSkinz said:

Based on the way the tiebreakers work I'm not sure why we are 4th.  SOS is supposed to be the draft tiebreaker and ours is better than the Giants and Fins.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfldraftorder.html

TIEBREAKING PROCEDURE FOR DRAFT ORDER
If two or more teams are tied in the selection order, the strength-of-schedule tiebreaker is applied, subject to the following exceptions for playoff teams:

1. Teams not participating in the playoffs shall select in the first through 20th positions in reverse standings order.
2. The Super Bowl winner is last and Super Bowl loser is next-to-last.
3. The losers of the conference championship games shall select 29th and 30th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
4. The losers of the divisional playoff games shall select 25th through 28th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
5. The losers of the wild-card games shall select 21st through 24th based on won-lost-tied percentage.

If ties exist in any grouping except (2) above, such ties shall be broken by strength of schedule. If any ties cannot be broken by strength of schedule, the divisional or conference tiebreakers, if applicable, shall be applied. Any ties that still exist shall be broken by a coin flip.

Then we need to root for the Buccaneers and Cardinals and for anyone playing the 49ers and Panthers,   If the teams the Giants play can muster enough wins and the 49ers and Panthers lose a few more, it could make the Giants SOS better than ours. 

Bengals and Dolphins (especially) need to win some games.

Dolphins and Bengals are the ones that can, and probably will, end up ahead of us.

But, if the Giants and Dolphins can manage to win a game each and we lose out, it works as well.

15 minutes ago, UKskins said:

That's the point.

Ours being better means they have the same record against worse teams and are therefore worse than us and warrant a higher pick

Gotcha, I think I'm so used to the tiebreaker awarding playing a tougher schedule but in this scenario its the inverse.

I still think the Giants beat us and the Fins beat the Bengals, not locks at all but if that happens we have the 2nd pick, there are no other winnable games for us besides the Giants and we don't play well against them.

I'll start with I am not judging anyone for liking or not liking the win.  We are fans so its whatever floats our boat in our own way makes sense to me.

It would be fitting for the Giants to get Chase Young. :(   There has been talk about why the Giants still draw ratings-fans and the Redskins don't -- the theory is partly about they do mega stars and we don't.  The last time they had the #2 pick they got Barkley.  They've had Beckham.  Years back Straham.  They tend to have marketable players who get national attention and draw fans regardless of their record.

For me personally, it doesn't matter how many sexy star type players teams have.  I'll watch regardless.  But I do think it's part of the soup for why this team doesn't get good TV ratings and fan attendance.  I love Daron Payne but people don't show up to games to see him play.

My interest in Young has nothing to do with him being a draw but that he's potentially a generational type of player.  But yeah he does feel more like a Giant than a Redskin.

Having said that, I am not saying anyone here should think about this like me.  IMO fans should do whatever floats their boat.  If people want to rejoice about this win, cool.  I hated it.  I am just too fired up about adding a mega star who can help a nucleus of players reach the next step.  If Haskins was on fire through most of the game, then I would have enjoyed it.  I am not one of the rabid Haskins haters here.    He's shown a few flashes here and there but I see plenty though that doesn't put me at ease.   

Edit:  and yeah i agree there is plenty of time for the draft stuff to play out.  But count me in the group that doesn't celebrate losing draft position especially if it positions the Giants of all teams to get Young.  Sure it can change.  But all we got for the moment is now. 

9 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Yep, I get that, and it's fair enough - but I watch every single game and have done for a decade, including the 1:30am starts when I have work the next day. Once or twice when the season has been wrapped up before a late game, I've watched it the next day, but normally I stay up for them. Even despite that, I just don't get any joy from beating a bad team and playing like **** doing it.

Ya. And to be clear I'm not pulling your fan card, jus pointing out why our perspectives on this may be different.

9 minutes ago, UKskins said:

We need a trade partner and with Tua done, who are people trading up for except Burrows or Chase? Jeudy? Maybe but I don't see it.

I'll be honest this front office is such a mess, it's hard for me to care about draft order yet. We have so many organizational problems from top to bottom that one players no matter how good they are wont save us.

Archived