Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Skins vs Putty Cats

TK

19 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

You mean the last 5 starts, right? Since there are 5 games left. 

Actually hopefully he gets his first non garbage time TD in any of the final 5 games. I mean, scoring TDs down 34-3 is still counts as an actual TD but it's not like the other team had to stop them.

6 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Actually hopefully he gets his first non garbage time TD in any of the final 5 games. I mean, scoring TDs down 34-3 is still counts as an actual TD but it's not like the other team had to stop them.

Yeah that would be nice to see. I doubt it’ll happen though, unfortunately 

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I go no doubt we can find Holcomb type players.  51.6 PFF grade.  The dude has his moments.  He's not in the conversation as to being an elite MLB or anything special but he might be good.  We can do good.  We can find good players.   We can build 8-8 rosters.  I don't think the FO is lost as a 2-14 type of operation, I think they got mediocre in them.  I think they are missing consistent good to great and part of that IMO is about finding great players. 

Yeah, but I'll wait on him to finish the season before i look too far into the PFF stuff. I know he started off real hot and had one of the highest ratings early in the season, but has cooled off some. I'm guessing that after the sack today he'll be higher. Not saying that He's an all pro but I think he has the potential to be an impact player for us.

You are the dude that leads some on the point that Kyle might be overrated and this team consistently fails to find elite level stars.   I think I've been a bigger fan of Kyle than you but I do agree with the elite player stuff.  I don't think its a coincidence that we typically don't make any of the top 100 player lists or if we do its the late part of the top 100 regardless of who is making the lists, PFF, NFL Network, players selecting or whatever. 

I don't like the crowning of Kyle as the second coming and my main problem with a draft philosophy is that a team has to have patience to wait it out. What sense would it make to spend time drafting 3-4 players and then fire your coach and bring in somebody who's 4-3? That's the basics and most obvious (and not as relevant) but its similar on offense. Why draft zone blocking OL and fire the coach and force them to adapt to a power scheme? Why draft a QB with a slow delivery (not Haskins but in general) and then put him in a WCO? I love building through the draft but I hate when we were constantly changing coaches and not developing talent.

Add to that we don't generally play our younger talent, guys like McLaurin get on the field, but what took Harmon so long? What took so long to put Moreau on the outside, especially with Norman getting beat like a drum? 

That said, I think Kyle does a good job finding players that max out at about a 7-8 on a scale of 1-10 and that's hard to do. But what we're not finding are those 10s. But few teams do, and the ones that do, how long do those players stay at 10? We were calling Trent Williams the best LT in football, others say he's not even in the top 10 (not on some of the all pro teams). And while the draft is hard I think its EXTREMELY hard to figure out who's going to be the superstar. I think the GMs who go for those guys are generally the ones who get more busts, whether it be for diva reasons, locker room stuff, off the field stuff, injuries, etc. So while I don't think Kyle is the second coming of Bethard in terms of GMs, I think he is talented and is doing a good job. 

And I wouldn't grade a lot of these lists (even all pro to an extent) because we get a lot of negative biases in them for a lot of reasons. I still think about all the anti name people who made vows not to say or print the name again, but have important positions voting on these things. I think about stuff like the HOF Peter King voting against Monk for whatever reason he made up that year. I don't expect unbiased opinions in these things because there's too much capital in the biased atmosphere. And unless its a clearshot guy like Darrell Green who was clearly one of the top CBs in the league up til his age 40 season, there is generally enough of a discrepancy between a list like top 100 to choose a Redskins player on some of them, so when we see none of our players on there (for years, and especially when we have a good team) its probably a reason beyond the play on the field.  

Some of the players you are hyped about including Harmon and McLaurin were dudes I touted before they became Redskins.  Yeah I was maybe even the biggest cheerleader arguably of both dudes especially the day we drafted them.  But it doesn't in my view have anything about my point about landing a borderline sure fire bonafide stud which is much easier to do the higher you pick. 

I know, I remember engaging in those conversations,  and reading your opinions. I'm just excited to see them developing. The question becomes what are we losing with their development? And the answer may well be Chase Young. Now if we can turn some of those drives into TDs (we had 4 FGs today, so thats 16 points left on the field), we have the power for a dynamic offense. So, for the sake of reason, suppose we finish the season on a 6 game winning streak and Haskins is getting 200 yards and 2TDs a game,  and we're seeing promising numbers from Guice, Harmon, McLaurin, and whoever else. Does that make the not getting Chase Young any easier?

And I stand by my point with the example - would you rather have Bradley Chubb or Darius Leonard? Myles Garrett or TJ Watt? Joey Bosa or Ngakoue or Chris Jones? Dante Fowler or Vic Beasley or Preston Smith or Danielle Hunter or Frank Clark? The list goes on and on. Jadeveon Clowney or Aaron Donald? 

And it may seem like every year there are only a few that are in that upper tier and one is the sure fire pick, but Dante Fowler is a perfect example of the buzz fizzing out. Remember Soloman Thomas and how big he was supposed to be? Dion Jordan? Tyson Jackson? Aaron Curry? Are these guys the player that Chase Young is? Who knows but they were all drafted very high defensive guys and haven't lived up to the pick. 

The draft is a lottery and in the lottery there are a lot of busts a few guys who will work hard but amount to nothing, a few guys who have a lot of talent but no work ethic, a whole lot fewer guys with talent and work ethic, and an extremely minute set of people who have the whole shebang, which is why they're celebrated so much and have things like top selling jerseys and are always at the top of those lists.

Right now I have no problem letting the guys I think can work in this league prove to me and themselves and the rest of the league that they can, and them going into the draft playing the lottery with a better foundation than just hoping that the "best player in the draft" can suddenly turn a team around that was nothing before he got here. 

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah, but I'll wait on him to finish the season before i look too far into the PFF stuff. I know he started off real hot and had one of the highest ratings early in the season, but has cooled off some. I'm guessing that after the sack today he'll be higher. Not saying that He's an all pro but I think he has the potential to be an impact player for us.

He started hot as a run defender, cold as a pass defender as to their grades.  It's pretty much maintained.   If he had a hot PFF grade early it didn't maintain for long because I recall somewhat early in the season his grade wasn't hot because it was one of the things that registered with me and in a surprised way.   As for impact player, sure.   Like i said we can do impact players.  I think Dion-Hamilton is an impact player, too.   

That said, I think Kyle does a good job finding players that max out at about a 7-8 on a scale of 1-10 and that's hard to do. But what we're not finding are those 10s. But few teams do, and the ones that do, how long do those players stay at 10? We were calling Trent Williams the best LT in football, others say he's not even in the top 10 (not on some of the all pro teams). And while the draft is hard I think its EXTREMELY hard to figure out who's going to be the superstar. I think the GMs who go for those guys are generally the ones who get more busts, whether it be for diva reasons, locker room stuff, off the field stuff, injuries, etc. So while I don't think Kyle is the second coming of Bethard in terms of GMs, I think he is talented and is doing a good job. 

Just about every team lands one eventually except us.  I think you argued with me once about the Eagles on that front.  But Fletcher Cox to me is an example.  At the peak of his powers he was considered the best at what he does or at least top 3.  no one ever argues that Jonathan Allen or Payne or name that guy is the best at that position.  We had a brief run with Sean in his last season like that.  Yeah I agree few would say Trent is the best LT in the league but he's at least in conversation.  So Trent to me is the closest version but unfortunately an O lineman doesn't really take over a game.  A few O lineman together can.  But not one O lineman. 

Cooley explained the layer once of not having superstar players, he talked about having conversation with teams that do have them and was told they just know that said player can get hot and take over any game.  A K. Mack, Beckham, V. Miller, Aaron Donald, E. Elliot, Julio Jones, A. Brown (in his prime), Ray Lews (in his prime), etc.  And that builds confidence among the rest of the team. 

It's almost weird not to ever have a first team all pro.  Sometimes (like this year) not to land a single player in top 100 lists.  I don't think its coincidence that this is the same team for 20 years plus which is the on;y one not to break the 10 win barrier. 

It's not my job to worry about sales but I do think its sort of the subtle silent killer as for this team's demise as for bleeding fans.  Young fans who the Redskins are struggling with the most tend to be very player driven. We don't have a dude that people come to the stands just to see him.  You don't see (Finlay talked about this as to even in the DMV he sees kids wearing Barkley shirts and not Redskins gear) kids going crazy and wearing a jersey of any Redskins player.  We don't have any player from what I recall in the top 100 jersey sales.  The Giants have for example stayed relevant even though they have stunk IMO in part because you can still go to see them and see a star.  They are still a team talked about.  Like I said them landing Chase Young as opposed to us -- would make sense for that reason.  It would align with the football stars pun intended. 

If I was satisfied with an 8-8ish type of club then yeah I think we are on the track and have the right operation to do it -- totally because of Kyle since I consider much else about that FO a clown show.  Kyle is good at finding decent to good players throughout the draft.  I do like Kyle so I mean that with no sarcasm.  But to me he needs to break the barrier and find a great one or two if this team is ever going to break the barrier of rising from so so to great.  Obviously they aren't so so right now but are bad.   But yes I do think this FO has in them to find their way back to those 7-9, 8-8 type seasons.   I want good to great.  So so doesn't move me anymore.  

I know, I remember engaging in those conversations,  and reading your opinions. I'm just excited to see them developing. The question becomes what are we losing with their development? And the answer may well be Chase Young. Now if we can turn some of those drives into TDs (we had 4 FGs today, so thats 16 points left on the field), we have the power for a dynamic offense. So, for the sake of reason, suppose we finish the season on a 6 game winning streak and Haskins is getting 200 yards and 2TDs a game,  and we're seeing promising numbers from Guice, Harmon, McLaurin, and whoever else. Does that make the not getting Chase Young any easier?

If Haskins was killing it, I wouldn't really worry about anything else.  IMO you need a QB to win in this league.  I've not loved what I've seen.  And I hate what I hear from just about every reporter who covers the team, they don't paint the prettiest picture about him as for what in the building think about his possibilities to rise to franchise status both as to his play and intangibles.   

I don't post about most of it because I noticed it can get twisted in ways I don't like.  I don't think ANY rookie player should be judged in a definitive way so quickly so I like to give them plenty of rope.  But I'll just say this I got very little doubt about McLaurin and Harmon and some other young players.  I got plenty of doubt though about Haskins.   As much as I like McLaurin and Harmon I don't think they (or just about any receiver) are that good to the degree where the team will have success with a JAG QB.  Receivers usually don't rise a poor QB play typically. So Haskins and his future to mean everything as to being positive or not about the future.  

11 hours ago, profusion said:

Haskins made a lot of bad throws, but he was a gamer at the end. It's pretty obvious he needs an intensive off-season with a QB guru.

Haskins EGO thus far tells me he would gain no benefit from working with a "mentor". In order to learn from another you have to be open to criticism and acceptance that your game needs "work". I'v yet to see him express this and showing up 2 hours before kickoff doesn't exactly scream "I take my job serious" 

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Haskins EGO thus far tells me he would gain no benefit from working with a "mentor". In order to learn from another you have to be open to criticism and acceptance that your game needs "work". I'v yet to see him express this and showing up 2 hours before kickoff doesn't exactly scream "I take my job serious" 

His good decision-making yesterday tells me he's probably been spending a ton of time in the film room and accepting coaching. He's also at least been saying the right thing about knowing he needs to grow.

The real test of his want-to will come in February and March. While his buddies are in Florida partying during the downtime, will he be spending 12 hours a day on repetitive footwork exercises? That's what he needs, to show up at camp with some fancy new footwork...even if it takes awhile for it to all stick during game time.

11 hours ago, CowboyKillerz said:

Cuz Tmac threw to himself eh? Gtfoh

You know that was an awesome catch but who cares one pass out of many terrible ones means nothing after the other team refuses to keep the ball. Please Maybe I'll GTFOH and go get a selfie. Sound good?

Riggghhht... If it was so easy why didnt DET just march it down and kick a fg too?

He wasnt good yesterday...

His last 2 drives were decent though- and led to VICTORY. Lions sucking, ints... Dont matter without Haskins making the plays he did to get in position for the tie then the eventual game winner. Facts.

Do I personally give a **** about the selfie? Nah fam. He celebrated a victory at home... A looooong time, since before him even, since we have had one of those. He got involved with the fans- who have had the resolve to stick with this team through the season, much less until the end of this crap game. Im with that! The clock showed zeros... The game was over.. The final knee was a formality... The int sealed the deal... He got his first win, at home even! The fans went wild. He went wild... He didnt pull his personal phone out and snapchat the ****.. He obliged a (now VERY grateful) fan. Learned a tough lesson about being over when its over... And time to move on. 

I also enjoyed the embrace with KOC and Mosses... The culture is ****, dont ask brucifer, but the guys earned a dub and the feelings that come with it.

Next?

On 11/24/2019 at 4:20 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Pretty sure dan and Bruce had zero say in us winning this game 😂😂😂 and do you seriously expect Callahan and the players to just lie down and take a loss up the ****? No. Why find people to blame for a win? I dont See the logic in that 🤔

Of course you don't see the logic.  It's only logical to win a game, where a win can only hurt the team by lowering their draft pick.  Makes sense to play most of the veterans and risk injuries that may affect next years strength as this 2nd win will most likely get us in the playoffs this year.  Yes it is totally logical to not test all the backups with valuable playing time and gain experience to see if they can help the team.  Yes, it is so logical to lower your draft pick for a useless win so we can get less talented players and continue this franchise fail.  I now see the logic thanks to your help.  I stand corrected as Bruce and Snyder were not on the field, and we all know they are 100% correct in all their football operation decisions. You can obviously tell by the great winning record and "culture" we have.   Until stupidity is cured, happy losing records for years to come.  It's only fitting that their tearing down DC./RFK Stadium in 2020....making sure that the only proof that there was once a great football franchise in Washington, is only in our memories.  Can't even write HTTR anymore after 60 years of watching games as it has become too embarrassing.

On 11/24/2019 at 4:49 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

That has zero to do with what i said. You blamed dan and Bruce for the team winning. What sense does that make? 

Maybe because they call the shots as they make the decisions.....Oh that's right, their decisions have produced another winning year and this "great culture".    You go ahead and keep on rooting that we keep shooting ourselves in the foot year after year.  This win only hurt us but you will never see that.  Make sure some important veterans risk getting some ACL injuries also, so that they won't be ready for the start of next season...we don't want the backups to gain any experience. This will also make us a stronger team cause we have to get that Win so we can get into the playoffs chase by game 16.

@rabidskin maybe you didn’t understand what i was saying. You blamed dan and Bruce specifically for last weeks win, correct? Well, what I’m saying is: how are they to blame for that one game? If their decisions were to blame for us winning, then im pretty sure we would have more wins this season 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

My point has nothing to do with why it was stupid to win or anything like that. 

Archived