Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. 49ers

KDawg

Thoughts:

-This was the perfect game to display Callahan's vision of a ball control offense that focuses on number of runs versus quality of runs, and it led to a goose egg.

-Adrian Peterson was fantastic aside from the fumble. Which was a big play. But the guy definitely has some juice. They used him like a point-of-entry back in the game, as he should be, with a fullback. And that gave the Skins some life. 

-The offensive line wasn't terrible. Though, I didn't see the discipline that Callahan has been preaching for. Standing still on a sack, false starts, holds. It wasn't particularly pretty.

-The offensive coaching staff doesn't have much in the way of guts. The field conditions were awful, but that didn't stop San Francisco, who has a good running game and a mediocre (in my opinion) quarterback from taking some risks and throwing the football. Though, opinion aside, Jimmy G is winning football games for the Niners (in conjunction with his fit to the team, not by himself). 

-I'm curious who is dictating the playcalls, because if it's KOC I haven't been all that impressed, though he could be simply falling into Callahan's gameplan.

-How far away is Dwayne Haskins? Granted, I think this was a bad time to put him in with the conditions. Especially considering he hasn't looked great in his very small sample size in regular season play. Throwing him out in that mess is not doing him favors. But the question is eventually going to turn to (and, to be fair, it maybe shouldn't be there yet, but, how long do the Skins keep this guy in bubble wrap? Other rookies get thrown to the wolves and respond. Haskins is and was a project from day one. But you'd like to at least see the guy able to come in and play better than what the Skins are getting from the QB position. The fact that he's not is a little alarming. 

-The defense was... okay. Not a whole lot to say either way. They definitely didn't lose the game. They didn't win it, either. Apke had the big pick, but he looked a little lost out there. Not sure how much different he is than Nicholson, though. 

-Montez Sweat needs to start getting in the stat sheet more often with big sacks. Though, from first glance, it seems teams' are trying to get blockers to him as they don't seem to be all that nervous about Ryan Kerrigan nowadays. Pass rush is a definitive need on this team, which makes Chase Young a significant prospect. 

-The defense didn't miss a beat minus Norman. Granted, it wasn't an air it out kind of game. So that remains to be seen a little bit.

Studs:

Oh boy. This one is tough.

Terry McLaurin - one big catch. Yay. - ***

Adrian Peterson - despite the fumble, he was the only offense aside from McLaurin's one nice catch. - **

Quinton Dunbar - Seemed to be draping his guy in coverage all night - *

Duds -

Bruce Allen - :(:(:( - We're close. Damned good culture.

Bill Callahan - :(  :( - No risk offensive game plan.

Case Keenum - :( - yikes.

Season Totals: 

Terry McLaurin - 14x*

Tress Way - 7x*

Daron Payne - 3x*

Steven Simms - 2x*

Inside LBs - 2x*

Adrian Peterson - 3x*

Paul Richardson - 2x*

Vernon Davis, fans who left - 1x*

Case Keenum - Push

Quinton Dunbar - Push

Injuries - 2x 

Nicholson - 2x  

Right Side of OL - 3x

Secondary as a whole minus Collins)- 3x 

Bill Callahan - 5x :(

Josh Norman - 6x

Greg Manusky - 7x

Jay Gruden -8x 

Bruce Allen -16x

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

I enjoyed the game in the sloppy conditions .which I imagine helped the the skins d tremendously..either way they were good I thought..how can ya grade that offense in that weather   ?

I can tell you what one of my bosses once told me/our offensive staff (I was the DC, but also OL coach)...

"You're paid to have a gameplan in place despite the conditions, right?"

"Ya."

"Okay. Then get to work."

"Will do. Thank you."

The fact that Morgan Moses was just on the radio saying how great their team is and that they are playing well, after being shut out, tells me that the delusion that they are close has trickled down from the top.  This team is completely ****ed for a while.

Just once I'd like to hear players pissed off and hear about them breaking **** in the locker room after these losses.  Not hear about how great they think they are, after not winning a game at home IN OVER A YEAR.

We're just a team of losers with loser mentality.

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

The fact that Morgan Moses was just on the radio saying how great their team is....

We're just a team of losers with loser mentality.

I don't expect guys to go on the radio and tell the world how bad they suck or throw guys under the bus.  But I said it back when Moses was whining about the refs on the radio, that what he has is a loser mentality.  That's not something that can be coached.  That's just a mentality that is ingrained in the fabric of who he is as a football player.  He's not the first and surely won't be the last here to put that on display publicly.  

Part of me wonders if it's merely a byproduct of Snyderitis.  For years and years, we've heard our players talk about how great they are, create nicknames, etc. before they ever do a damn thing.  Then once the bullets start flying, so do the excuses.  Kind of related but on a side note, have you ever seen a team celebrate the other teams poor execution more than this team, in particular - the secondary.  If you were to just catch the celebrations after a play, you would think we just landed a big, ball jarring hit that caused a fumble or an interception.  But no, the guy celebrating will have been burnt, but the ball fell incomplete because the QB threw a bad ball or the player dropped it.

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

-I'm curious who is dictating the playcalls, because if it's KOC I haven't been all that impressed, though he could be simply falling into Callahan's gameplan.

I'm hoping this question gets asked by the press.  Because I asked myself on several occasions yesterday, is this really KOC?  or is just trotting out Callahan's orders, based on what he told us he wanted to do.

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I can tell you what one of my bosses once told me/our offensive staff (I was the DC, but also OL coach)...

"You're paid to have a gameplan in place despite the conditions, right?"

"Ya."

"Okay. Then get to work."

"Will do. Thank you."

Your boss needs to apply to coach with the skins

Ya something's up with scherff..can we please replace moses in the off season..

Defense held up their side. AP did his part. QB switch needs to happen after the next game. I'd rather see Haskins run a limited package of plays than see more of the low-wattage garbage that Keenum is delivering. It's not like the results on the scoreboard could be much worse.

In among all the MANY problems to attend to, which even Stevie Wonder could see, that I'll leave to others to address, I personally like the way this is trending with small things being worked on each week. 

This week, there was a lot of pride to take in the fact they went hard, toe-to-toe, with a far superior team for the full 60 minutes. BIG improvement on the second half collapses, both mentally and physically, from the first 5 weeks. That's a testament to their preparation and work ethic being stepped up through the week when it would be so easy for a 1-5 team, as many fans already have, to say 'screw playing hard. Just play the games out and get on our vacations already!'

Unfortunately, with no semblance of competent QB play and an overall lack of talent compared to the 9ers squad, we got the negatives within that. But lest we forget we're starting here from a rock bottom standpoint so ANY incremental improvement can't be seen as anything but positive and a building block to righting this LONG wayward ship. 

The offensive penalty drop from zero the previous week to three this (2 holds/ 1 false start), was frustrating. But still WAY more disciplined from that group from what went before. And the line play overall was decent again. 

The continued commitment to the run was also pleasing to see. Albeit the overall playcalling was severely limited by the weather and the limitations of the man under centre. Along with facing one of the best D's in the league at this current time. It wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either with some great flashes of what it can give if the committed focus there keeps up. It'll certainly benefit Haskinsa whole bunch if and when he's upto speed. 

Kudos to the D buying in, FINALLY coming to the party and playing hard the full game. With some real good plays along the way along with the continued mental mistakes that need working on and eradicating. 

It's easy to look at the continued struggles, and yesterday putting up zero points at home, and lambast them for them. But if anyone seriously expected massive change, in both performance and scoreline/ productivity, two weeks in, against stellar opposition, they were deluding themselves. 

The thing is, for me at least, when you're starting from absolute rock bottom, ANY incremental improvement in the team, in whatever facet, each week, should be roundly applauded. There's naturally going to be more downs than ups along the road. But if we keep doing the right things, day in, day out, and giving everything to everything we do, those little steps will eventually pay off and turn into big ones. 

Right now, rather than wallow in the many negatives still to address, I can at least take solace from the improvements they are showing. 

Looking forward to Thursday. (And the simple fact we're preparing professionally now for that the next three days as opposed to the previous regimes prep in that regard is another step forward in a blueprint to hopefully a much brighter future.). 

Hail. 

8 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Why didn't Keenum just sneak the ball when we needed 1 yard. I kept thinking QB Sneak....I just don't get the play call.

This play pissed me off the most....

4 instances that if they went differently I think the game would have been different.

1 - missed FG...but they had problems on 1 of theirs as well...weather sucked for kicks

2 - AP fumbling. He had a great game except that. And quite possibly was the straw that broke the back

3 - a fumble recovery overturned because a ****ing umpire was out of position? Seriously....WTF

4 - 4th and 1 and you dont sneak it....double WTF...I mean seriously WTF...all he had to do was fall forward and instead you send the ball back 2 yards to go 1?!?

8 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

edit

The offensive penalty drop from zero the previous week to three this (2 holds/ 1 false start), was frustrating. But still WAY more disciplined from that group from what went before. And the line play overall was decent again. 

The continued commitment to the run was also pleasing to see. Albeit the overall playcalling was severely limited by the weather and the limitations of the man under centre. Along with facing one of the best D's in the league at this current time. It wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either with some great flashes of what it can give if the committed focus there keeps up. It'll certainly benefit Haskinsa whole bunch if and when he's upto speed. 

Kudos to the D buying in, FINALLY coming to the party and playing hard the full game. With some real good plays along the way along with the continued mental mistakes that need working on and eradicating. 

It's easy to look at the continued struggles, and yesterday putting up zero points at home, and lambast them for them. But if anyone seriously expected massive change, in both performance and scoreline/ productivity, two weeks in, against stellar opposition, they were deluding themselves. 

The thing is, for me at least, when you're starting from absolute rock bottom, ANY incremental improvement in the team, in whatever facet, each week, should be roundly applauded. There's naturally going to be more downs than ups along the road. But if we keep doing the right things, day in, day out, and giving everything to everything we do, those little steps will eventually pay off and turn into big ones. 

Right now, rather than wallow in the many negatives still to address, I can at least take solace from the improvements they are showing. 

Looking forward to Thursday. (And the simple fact we're preparing professionally now for that the next three days as opposed to the previous regimes prep in that regard is another step forward in a blueprint to hopefully a much brighter future.). 

Hail. 

Sorry but have to keep you honest here. Not sure where your numbers come from but they had 3 holding and 2 false starts. So that's 5 for the game. 2 holding a FS was just the first half. So that is zero improvement. See pic below. Here is the link to the data: https://www.nflpenalties.com/game/san-francisco-49ers-at-washington-redskins-10-20-2019 

I do not share your enthusiasm for the commitment to the run but that does not mean i see it as a negative. The issue I have is they did nothing to capitalize on that first drive. As a result they had 65 yds on 10 carries on that first drive - great drive even without pts. Nice way to start. After that? 72 yds on 29 carries for a whopping 2.48 yds/att. That is atrocious. Looks like SF made adjustments but we did not. Sound familiar? 

I also am not sure I agree that any improvement is due to Bill C. I believe i'ts more addition through subtraction - meaning the players are more glad to see Jay go than admittedly i believed. Doesn't mean he cannot provide a boost. Just way too early to declare any kind of impact due to him being HC for now. Also cannot say he has no impact either. Just not enough time to tell. 

Side note: I hope they are getting Haskins ready for either after Thursday or after the bye. 

image.png.7674c3a8da0b18721890565b1cc77721.png

If Callahan's mission as the interim HC is to show Jay Gruden was wrong for under utilizing Adrian Peterson? Mission accomplished.  However, everyone not named Jay Gruden likely already knew this.  I hope he has satisfied his own mission and is ready to move on going forward calling games with the intention to win.  

23 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Why didn't Keenum just sneak the ball when we needed 1 yard. I kept thinking QB Sneak....I just don't get the play call.

For some odd reason the quarterback sneak is not in the playbook for some baffling reason.  The press needs to ask Callahan why they do not

allow their quarterbacks to run the sneak.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't expect guys to go on the radio and tell the world how bad they suck or throw guys under the bus.  But I said it back when Moses was whining about the refs on the radio, that what he has is a loser mentality.  That's not something that can be coached.  That's just a mentality that is ingrained in the fabric of who he is as a football player.  He's not the first and surely won't be the last here to put that on display publicly.  

Part of me wonders if it's merely a byproduct of Snyderitis.  For years and years, we've heard our players talk about how great they are, create nicknames, etc. before they ever do a damn thing.  Then once the bullets start flying, so do the excuses.  Kind of related but on a side note, have you ever seen a team celebrate the other teams poor execution more than this team, in particular - the secondary.  If you were to just catch the celebrations after a play, you would think we just landed a big, ball jarring hit that caused a fumble or an interception.  But no, the guy celebrating will have been burnt, but the ball fell incomplete because the QB threw a bad ball or the player dropped it.

It's a symptom of Snyder Rotgut

6 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

For some odd reason the quarterback sneak is not in the playbook for some baffling reason.  The press needs to ask Callahan why they do not

allow their quarterbacks to run the sneak.

Well, the last time they did that - Case put the ball out there as if the first down marker was the goal line and turned it over.

Either Keenum is hurt with the shoulder and the foot, or he lacks the ability to grip a wet football.  Either way, he had no ability to throw more than 10 yards and that lollipop throw to Quinn was a disaster waiting to happen. 

The defense once again played a good half and a bad half.  

The offense, after the first drive, did next to nothing the remainder of the game.  Commitment to the run be damned, they had to try and get SOMETHING out of the passing game because while they stayed committed to he run, they also scored 0 points.  

Callahan’s philosophy of running attempts is ass-backwards and 1973 thinking.  You score points by throwing the ball. The best situated to be unpredictable.  Don’t have tendencies and be able to both run and pass.  Jay ran on every first down for 5 years, which was moronic.  Now Bill is doubling down and running on first and second, which is also moronic.  

I said this before, I think in some ways, Bill is playing to Bruce.  Bruce, who’s a complete and total idiot, still thinks running and playing defense got them to 6-3 last year and that was the golden age of his tenure at the Redskins and minus Alex getting hurt he would look like a freaking genius for not signing Kirk, trading for Alex, and they would have made the playoffs

Clearly Bruce is delusional.  But Callahan is feeding him what he wants to hear.  

Dan needs to wise up and figure out everything Bruce is selling is nonsense and he needs to move on and find a different football mind.  

The question is if Dan has that in him.  

Bruce isn't smart enough to cook up running = winning.  He is still stuck on Tampa = winning.

That is much more likely a Dan directive from him witnessing the Riggo era.

Here's the thing about being run heavy. You're a damned fool to not use the play action that is almost gift wrapped from our run heavy play calling... stubbornity.  You'd think Dan would remember all those back breaking play action calls Joe would make to Warren, Didier etc. Maybe he isn't trying to meddle too much, and is stuck on telling his coaches to run.

A short missed FG, stuffed on a 4th & 1 from inside the 30, fumbled it away from inside the 30, a couple of missed int's where our defenders had a good shot at picks & some costly penalties- that's pretty much where the game was lost. Been waiting to see Troy Apke get a shot at playing and I thought he played well. His int. was a nice one and I liked his run after the pick. The scouting report on him coming out of Penn State was that he is very athletic, as he has good speed and can jump through the roof. He got hurt on a ST's play in the opener against Arizona last year and that pretty much cost him his rookie year. Not sure how long Nickelson is out, but I hope Apke gets a shot the rest of the way to show what he can do at safety alongside Collins.

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

Keenum's definition of "sneak" last time was to try to jump over the line. Knowing his foot is being held together with duct tape, the team probably figured his jumping skill wouldn't be helpful in the rain lol

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

This play pissed me off the most....

4 instances that if they went differently I think the game would have been different.

1 - missed FG...but they had problems on 1 of theirs as well...weather sucked for kicks

2 - AP fumbling. He had a great game except that. And quite possibly was the straw that broke the back

3 - a fumble recovery overturned because a ****ing umpire was out of position? Seriously....WTF

4 - 4th and 1 and you dont sneak it....double WTF...I mean seriously WTF...all he had to do was fall forward and instead you send the ball back 2 yards to go 1?!?

- Anything over 30 yards was dicey.  The 2 misses were 39 and 45.  If anybody scored a TD, going for 2 was probably the best option.

- I think AP fumbling almost negates the rest of his day.  It sucks, but scoring there was the only chance they had and he fumbled it away.  It was only 3-0.  

- The play shouldn't have even happened.  They blew it dead before he fumbled.  I wasnt too annoyed by that.  

- We're playing these smallish QBs with gimpy legs.  Keenum wants no parts of running, sneaking, scrambling.  You know what would be awesome for a QB sneak in such conditions on 4th and 1?  A big, strong, 6'4", 230lb QB.  Wish we had one of those.  

Just a few jumbled thoughts.

It looked like Callahan was calling the plays even though it was stated that O'Connell would be calling them.  I did wonder how much freedom O'Connell would have had anyway after Callahan had laid out his run-first philosophy. "You're calling the plays Kevin, but these are the plays that you're gonna call".

It looked like Moses was trying to make up for all of his previous false starts by being really late on the play where he gave up the sack. He appeared totally unaware that the ball had been snapped and just stood there like a statue, not a good look. There's still far too many O-Line penalties all around. Scherff WTF, sort it out Fat Boys.

Case Keenum is about as mobile as a geriatric sloth. If his injuries are restricting his ability to move in the pocket that much, then he shouldn't be out there. To be honest, the passing game was so anemic that they could have just dropped the QB for an extra lineman and gone wildcat the whole game. 

The Norman-less defense only gave up three field goals and didn't give up a touchdown for the first time in like forever, which is a positive, (yes it was raining, I get it. I live in London, I know what rain is).

Way, err I mean Hopkins (that's a game day thread joke) missed a makeable FG, and AP fumbled to kill one of the few drives where we looked like we could have actually scored a TD. With just a little bit of luck, we could have won that game 10-9.

I've noticed that posting any kind of positivity around here lately seems to get severely rebuked by the Tank Corps, so note that I'm not saying that we played well, or that we should have won, I'm just pointing out that we could have won.

Archived