Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

23 minutes ago, Art said:

Hey, his 40 time is ****ty.   I agree.  I suspect he's probably a couple tenths faster but simply had a bad day and some cramps.   In any case, those on the negative side seem to think his 40 time essentially means he's an oak tree.   He is not going to win games with his feet.   But he is big enough and mobile enough to get around enough.    Tom Brady, the Mannings, Brees, etc are in the 4.8 to 5.2 range.   QBs don't have to run a 4.4 to be ok.   I promise.   The difference between Haskins in the 40 and Russell Wilson in the 40 is roughly 4 yards.   Really, it's ok.    

This is probably one of the most important areas to differentiate between quickness and speed. The pocket.

How slippery is he, is what I want to know. That's not found in the 40 time.

44 minutes ago, Art said:

Name the QB Jay's ever had that fits the criteria you seem to think he prefers.   We know not Brad Johnson.   We know not Andy Dalton.   We know not Kirk Cousins.   RGIII was that, but he got rid of him for not being the QB he wanted.   And all the QBs he's had, including Colt, are pretty much what Haskins is.   So, again, show ONE hint of data supporting your thought Jay wants anything OTHER than what Haskins is.   Just one would be great.   

Cousins also excels in play-action. His 74 percent completion rate on play-action passes this season is the highest in the NFL. His six play-action touchdown passes are tied with Rams quarterback Jared Goff for the most among quarterbacks who haven't thrown a play-action interception this season. Cousins completed 74 percent of his play-action passes last season, but had only two touchdowns against three interceptions.

Source:  http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/134645/kirk-cousins-thriving-even-when-redskins-are-not

Do you really think Haskins can't hand the ball off and do play action?   Is that really a thing with you?   You know OSU ran the RPO a lot right?   The R in RPO means "run".   Do you think Haskins couldn't get outside?   I swear, some people do not value the benefit of silence and how it can assist the way others view them.

Seriously? I go to Nike Coach of the year clinics where the very best coaches (Saban, Dabo, Bud Foster, etc) come to teach what they've been running.  I can teach 8 year olds to run RPO's.  I was running the spread a year after Rich Rod came up with it at WV.  Even ran the Pistol (great concept since you're not tipping your hand on direction) after Ault ran it at Nevada.  Don't talk down to me please.  Anytime you want to challenge me on a whiteboard with schemes and concepts (offense and defense) just let me know.  😀

Side note: Saban is a Beli style evil genius when it comes to coverage concepts.  The NFL steal from him all the time. 

Also, you are right about the Alex Smith comparison.  There really is none and I think Haskins is better than Smith; who was too afraid to let the ball go too often.  (Hated that move last year)  Even tho Haskins is an upgrade for this year, I'm hoping to see the team build a SB caliber team within the next 3 years.  Maybe Haskins can do enough on offense to get them there.  I hope so but I'm not optimistic.

When we got Alex it seemed as if we would run alot of boots and move the pocket around. Funny thing is..we didn't.  Kirk was not mobile... he would get 4 qb keepers a season. 

I've come a long way in a short time on Haskins. Strong arm/quick release and can process pre and post snap. Does he have things to work on? Of course..he wasent a four year starter. I'm all in at this point and at 15 that is excellent value.

The logic that he doesnt fit Jays scheme because he cant run a boot, compounded by the assertion that jay changed his scheme to fit his more mobile QBs (Named Kirk and Alex, notably NOT named RG3) but somehow the scheme has evolved so much that it now CANT be changed to fit the most gifted passer in this draft....

Is asinine to me. 

Then all the footage a page back showing them running the same schemes tells me something about that isnt quite accurate. Especially when your argument is help together by Kirk Cousisn's mobility. Lol seriously. 

9 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Also, you are right about the Alex Smith comparison.  There really is none and I think Haskins is better than Smith; who was too afraid to let the ball go too often.  (Hated that move last year)  Even tho Haskins is an upgrade for this year, I'm hoping to see the team build a SB caliber team within the next 3 years.  Maybe Haskins can do enough on offense to get them there.  I hope so but I'm not optimistic.

Wow Smith wasnt great last year by any means but to say Haskins will be better right from the start is extremely optimistic. If he's good enough to beat out Keenum/McCoy in camp we should be pleasantly surprised. If he comes in and performs as well as Smith off the bat we've got an absolute steal. Let's reign in expectations a bit here before we get too carried away. 

Also Haskins is afraid to throw the ball in tight windows a lot too, watch the tape. He's no gunslinger. 

53 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

Taking sacks isn't really the problem it's getting pressured to the point his mechanics go out the window and his throws miss their targets. 

Well, if that's the case he'll need to learn how to turn his elbow into rubber to hook his passes around a defensive end like Pat Mahomes did.  I guess there's some things you just can't teach, maybe he can improve to a degree on his problem areas with consistent coaching.  Or maybe Gruden will get fired mid-season and he'll have 4 different quarterback coaches with 4 different approaches to the position in the next 3 years.

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Laughing at the reality that you said we were one edge rusher away from a SB caliber defense...and then we suddenly draft one out of the blue lol...

Got it 😉... the irony. 

I seriously think this D (if plays and coached to potential) Is top 5 talented 

The D still needs an upgrade at FS and an upgrade at ILB over Mason Foster before I'd consider it top 5. We also don't know yet how Rueben Foster will look and Josh Norman is a declining CB at this stage with no real sure fire up and comer behind him(I like Dunny but he's more of a solid #2/3 then lockdown #1).

23 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Got it 😉... the irony. 

I seriously think this D (if plays and coached to potential) Is top 5 talented 

Completely agree...

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The D still needs an upgrade at FS and an upgrade at ILB over Mason Foster before I'd consider it top 5. We also don't know yet how Rueben Foster will look and Josh Norman is a declining CB at this stage with no real sure fire up and comer behind him(I like Dunny but he's more of a solid #2/3 then lockdown #1).

I don't think we need any more upgrades to land in the top 5...we would need improved coaching,  perhaps. Plus, he did say "If" the defense plays and is coached "to potential"...not that it's now any type of guarantee. 

21 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

We needed a QB and didn't have to trade up to get him. I could careless about his speed. He's a QB not a RB or WR. Good pick especially for the value. If this kid pans out we could have the QB position locked up for 10 years or more. 

Yeah, hopefully he won't be taking off and running....ala RG3

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

Seriously? I go to Nike Coach of the year clinics where the very best coaches (Saban, Dabo, Bud Foster, etc) come to teach what they've been running.  I can teach 8 year olds to run RPO's.  I was running the spread a year after Rich Rod came up with it at WV.  Even ran the Pistol (great concept since you're not tipping your hand on direction) after Ault ran it at Nevada.  Don't talk down to me please.  Anytime you want to challenge me on a whiteboard with schemes and concepts (offense and defense) just let me know.  😀

Side note: Saban is a Beli style evil genius when it comes to coverage concepts.  The NFL steal from him all the time. 

I’ve been to a couple of AFCA clinics, and I’ve worked with coaches that have been doing it longer than you. They don’t know their rear end from their head when it comes to talent evaluation, because coaching and scouting are two different endeavors that require different skills. 

18 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

....I know how important it is for a coach to find a QB that fits his scheme.

Does Dwayne, a gun hurry up QB, fit Jay's scheme?  I am no expert but forced to guess I would say not perfectly. Not that he / Haskins cant or won't adapt.  But Jay abhors hurry up as well.  I hope a reporter asked Jay if he plans to move him under center...

I think Haskins makes a lot of sense with this team as constructed. He's got a really accurate arm and rarely throws picks, so he should slot well into a team that's built on running the ball, defense and time of possession. Make the throws you have to make and minimize errors and this team can live up to its potential. 

The OL isn't there yet though. We need to make some moves to build up the talent level at guard and center if we want to get the most out of Haskins. They already have a top coach in Callahan. 

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Does Dwayne, a gun hurry up QB, fit Jay's scheme?  I am not expert but forced to guess I would say not perfectly. Not that he / Haskins cant or won't adapt.  But Jay abhors hurry up as well.  I hope a reporter asked Jay if he plans to move him under center...

Good point.  Jay enjoys taking his time, taking delay of game penalties, taking timeouts because he doesn't have the right personnel on the field, etc., and generally mismanaging th clock.  Seriously I hope that he's willing to adapt some aspects of his scheme to allow Haskins to succeed.

On 4/25/2019 at 11:04 PM, SkinsNoles21 said:

Lazy comparison by someone who knows nothing. 

McCloughan, the former general manager for Washington (2015-16) and San Francisco (2008-09), isn't at the scouting combine. He's at home in suburban Denver, where he runs a scouting service, Instinctive Scouting, and consults with a handful of teams each draft season. He watched each of the top QB prospects over the last several months and came to a conclusion: Murray is the best of the bunch by a mile. Better than former Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins, who McCloughan describes as "Byron Leftwich to a 'T'."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/28/kyler-murray-height-best-quarterback-scot-mccloughan

13 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This is probably one of the most important areas to differentiate between quickness and speed. The pocket.

How slippery is he, is what I want to know. That's not found in the 40 time.

My thoughts exactly.  I wish I could see more tape of him under pressure but that just didn't happen on that OSU team.  I don't care so much about mobility, that's like a super model wife that can cook. Strictly a bonus. No the QBs primary job is to stand in the pocket, make the correct read, and hit what he is throwing at on time. 

But I want to know if he can move in the pocket, Romo was not fast but he had a great ability to avoid the rush and then hit Jason Witten for 15 and a first down.  I hope our guy has that ability. 

Archived