Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If Gruden were smart, he'd realize this season is already lost. He'd commit to Haskins and do his absolute best to make him look good by season's end, and then try to sell the FO/ownership that he should keep his job for the sake of Haskins development and continuity. That's the only way he keep his job.

But of course, that's assuming he WANTS to keep his job. He might be okay with getting fired at this point and getting out of this s show organization.

I think he is waiting for a mercy killing from Snyder. He knows he’s done and has, at the very least, a job with his brother waiting. He’ll give Colt a shot to show the league he’s a high level backup, then move on to Haskins when the team is O-7 or whatever. 

For the “Haskins is not ready” crowd. Do you really think he can stay on the bench while the team wins like two games? He was the 15th pick overall. That would be unheard of. I mean Josh Allen still looks raw as can be. 

4 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Say Dan does clean house, including Allen. Does he give the incoming regime the power to decide what to do with Haskins? I doubt it. And around we go.

Yep. Same thing all over again. It’s truly bonkers. 

It’s why I think KOC will be shoved down the next coach’s throat. And what kind of coach let’s the owner pick his staff?

So look for a total mediocre DC to be getting his chance as the head coach next year. 

1 hour ago, dballer said:

I saw people concerned about our O Line - hopefully this isn't the case, but it may not be better next year. Penn may not be back, who knows what will happen with Trent, and Scherff...Just don't see any reason to push it off further. 

If I was Scherff I would not resign with this dumpster fire of a team.  I would do what Schlereth did when he left and went to the Broncos.  It worked out for his career.

2 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

If I was Scherff I would not resign with this dumpster fire of a team.  I would do what Schlereth did when he left and went to the Broncos.  It worked out for his career.

That’s clearly what’s happening. They are definitely going to have to franchise him. No way he signs a long term deal — at least in the near future. I mean, what player with options would? 

15 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Man 101 is a hoot. 

Pats

@Mia

49ers

@Minn

@Buf

Thats a ****ing murderers row right there. Thats the 3 top D's in the NFL right now and the other team is the Vikings. (Mia....we might be trying to lose)

I know its only week 5 but daaaaamn, any QB on this roster probably won't make it to the bye week.

8 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Pats

@Mia

49ers

@Minn

@Buf

Thats a ****ing murderers row right there. Thats the 3 top D's in the NFL right now and the other team is the Vikings. (Mia....we might be trying to lose)

I know its only week 5 but daaaaamn, any QB on this roster probably won't make it to the bye week.

9316293F-A798-4BDF-8D12-448DA4B756B5.gif

16 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Looks like it's a battle between Mike Lombardi and Louis Riddick for who's auditioning harder to become the next GM... 🤣

I am so excited.

I can hardly contain it.

Oh. Joy.

This. Is. Wonderful.

Yay.

28 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Jones would have been fine, there was time and there were open WRs, DH simply hasn’t played enough. Our scheme, routes & protection were not as bad as you kind & gentle folks have been made to believe. 15 starts ago DH was playing some Montgomery county public school — Sunday he was tossed in v the giants without having been prepared ... that’s an impossible position. Jones is more settled, more advanced in the pocket, has had years of the best coaching available, and has more ability to improvise.

An example, the scramble that nearly took Haskins to the end zone, that will be a completed pass next year, and the broken up pass in the end zone was a bad throw, that’s an easy 7, then he missed another easy TD to Davis on the same drive. 

DH just needs to work with Smith, then play, then take the following week to recover, process, watch film, and work on the things he learned from his playing time before getting into game planning for his next start.

Here he needs to shuffle, something he will do as he adjusts to seeing more live pressure, something less talented QBs, like Jones & Rosen, worked on through years of starting behind terrible offensive lines in college. The feet here are a failure, but when he sees it on film, he’ll fix it. 

F10C11BA-FE4E-496F-BA29-A5A39379FFD1.jpeg

70F64B7B-936A-4716-85D0-3E7F581AB7DF.jpeg

EEF30BF5-34A7-49E8-8C43-AFD7B5E61F4B.jpeg

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Gruden is really in a lose-lose situation this season. 

The front office drafted a QB with a lot of raw talent, but also considered a project. 

The two other options at QB are a journeyman and a career backup. 

The team itself is mediocre and riddled with injuries.

There really isn't a "win now" formula for 2019 period.

It's a good summary.  I'd also add that Haskins wasn't some slam dunk prospect where there was a consensus of people who loved him.  He had guys who really really loved him, Reddick ironically among them.  And some who didn't.

Bob McGinn is famous for getting good scouts to give him quotes about players -- his mock from what I recall ended up the most accurate as for what was projected and what actually happened on draft day.  I posted quotes from 6 scouts via McGinn's report on Haskins, 2 loved him, 1 was iffy on him, 3 didn't like him.  And nope they aren't like that about every player.  There were players they all agreed on. 

But as I said on this very thread if Haskins was a slam dunk beloved prospect, he wouldn't have been available at 15.  So the divide actually served us if Haskins ends up the goods.     For me personally, I liked Haskins during the college season, didn't like him much as the draft got closer when I really studied him hard.  Now, I am rallying behind him because I do like his intangibles-personality.  He looks quicker and in better shape in the pros than he did in the NFL.

But I did agree with @volsmet, Chris Cooley among others that he's a bit raw and it will take time.  And like them I have concerns about him.   But he's a Redskin so now I am a fan of the dude and got my fingers crossed.

Banner below is a former personnel guy, he's not in love with Haskins clearly.  Some really do like him.  I am just going through the trouble of making this point by saying when I hear the beat reporters say there was a divide in the front office about Haskins -- it doesn't sound crazy to me.  Now hopefully that divide doesn't evolve into a soap opera. 

To me Banner's point is extreme and i disagree with it.  But my point is there is some divide about Haskins among personnel types.  Is there a divide too in our FO, not sure.  Most of the beat guys said there was a divide before the draft but now they have all rallied behind the kid.  Hopefully that's the case.  

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

Looks like it's a battle between Mike Lombardi and Louis Riddick for who's auditioning harder to become the next GM... 🤣

Lombardi is good radio/podcaster.

He was also a pretty horrible front office guy outside of his time with Bill B, who does everything. 

And yeah, he totally did want to work for the Skins a while back and didn't get a sniff.

But it doesn't mean he's wrong.

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

FYIW - Chris Thompson the other day on the Junkies said something along the lines that Haskin's is not one of those guys who would be "damaged" by bad starts.  He has a lot of confidence, always looking to improve, stays positive and nothing really seems to bother him.

Of course he's gonna say that. No one is going to take the question and say "yeah, our rookie QB is a fragile lil' B lol"

Over simplifying....

His ability to move in pocket is special. Obviously so much more to playing QB, but generally if a QB is unable to manipulate the pocket and create plays (all good ones do it in their own way), then he will require a star studded supporting cast, superior coaching, a strong defense, a great game plan in most weeks etc.. It appears he has the ability to MAKE plays, which I can get behind as a fan. I want no part of a QB who lacks the ability to manipulate the pocket to create and make plays. 

I will continue to read what other more knowledgeable posters willing to dive into film study to better understand flaws and areas of needed improvement. 

I’m on the sit Haskins side. I’m good with a plan to start him the final 2-4 meaningless games to sink teeth in over the off season. 

You have to play him at least half the season. 

We are going to have a top five pick. Maybe the number one or two pick.

Are we really going to pass on Tua if there are major questions about Haskins?

Could you imagine if we do that, Haskins is a bust, and Tua is amazing?

I can. 

Because it's exactly the kind of stuff that happens under Danny and Brucey.

Dianna Rossini, on nfl live, just said, point blank, “You know who they wanted, the football side of the operation, because I covered them, they wanted Daniel Jones..

She’s livid too, Russini is ready to fight.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I am so excited.

I can hardly contain it.

Oh. Joy.

This. Is. Wonderful.

Yay.

Bro his last name is the same as the trophy. Thats not a coincidence. ITS FATE! 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Dianna Rossini, on nfl live, just said, point blank, “You know who they wanted, the football side of the operation, because I covered them, they wanted Daniel Jones..

Wasnt she the same one that would have bet her house we were trading up for Haskins? 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Over simplifying....

His ability to move in pocket is special. Obviously so much more to playing QB, but generally if a QB is unable to manipulate the pocket and create plays (all good ones do it in their own way), then he will require a star studded supporting cast, superior coaching, a strong defense, a great game plan in most weeks etc.. It appears he has the ability to MAKE plays, which I can get behind as a fan. I want no part of a QB who lacks the ability to manipulate the pocket to create and make plays. 

I will continue to read what other more knowledgeable posters willing to dive into film study to better understand flaws and areas of needed improvement. 

I’m on the sit Haskins side. I’m good with a plan to start him the final 2-4 meaningless games to sink teeth in over the off season. 

The most beloved QB in ncaa history, Trevor Lawrence, has 8 TDs & 5 ints ... he’s regressed v the worst schedule in the history of college football, half of his TDs were about the guys around him... he was atrocious v Syracuse but his weapons made plays ... yet he’s still the most ballyhooed of the college football humans. Haskins has a shaky game, after no prep, in his first nfl action, and people want to bail on him. We live in a fascinating world.

6 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Where's Mrs McLovin when you need her?

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Bro his last name is the same as the trophy. Thats not a coincidence. ITS FATE! 

Wasnt she the same one that would have bet her house we were trading up for Haskins? 

I have no idea, I had to google her to find out her name, I only have this on because I don’t like to leave my dog in a silent home & this nonsense was happening on my tv when I walked back in. 

Here was my problem solving process:

DC349E31-C0F4-4BF7-840E-9D12F4185E52.jpeg

6C065FCD-F140-4A1C-8E94-47B542CF0E94.jpeg

30 minutes ago, volsmet said:

LOL, you know the Jones stuff makes me gag but it is what it is.  😁    Multiple beat guys have said the same thing as to them liking Jones.  Judging by what's been said in podcasts, etc -- sounds like Jay and Kyle wanted to go elsewhere at 15.  They had Haskins rated (according Sheehan and one other reporter forgetting whom) as a 2nd rounder.  They liked Jones.  The mystery though about the gossip reports is did they like Jones better because he was just more ready to help them win now in a win now season than Haskins?  That seems to be a viable angle to that narrative.

Having said all that, I don't get the Jones-Haskins debate from the Redskins point of view.  Even if they wanted Jones, the Giants took him before the pick. So what's the difference if Jay or Kyle or whomever liked Jones more?   I get it from the Giants point of view where some said they made a mistake by taking Jones over Haskins.

Haskins seems to be aware of social media and sports media in general (judging by his tweets) so hopefully all the hating stuff is fuel for him -- Banner saying he's a 3rd rounder talent (that one is all over twitter now), the NY media saying now the Giants got the better QB, national media suggesting that Jay and others in the FO didn't want Haskins, etc -- all of that is good motivation fuel.  And I like Haskins' moxie-makeup.  So hopefully he channels all the criticism. 

Russini said after the draft that while Jay and some in the FO (am guessing its Kyle based on a podcast predraft where Keim acknowledged it) weren't on board with taking Haskins with the first pick -- she also said (as did Paulsen) back then that they reached a compromise with Dan that they wouldn't trade up for him but would take him at 15 -- and Jay/Kyle got what they wanted when they took Sweat.   So everyone was supposedly happy at the end.  That's what she said then.  So why would they all of a sudden be upset about it?

Here's a good evaluation of Haskins. I think Haskins got in a mood where he was trying to make plays. But all in all, it wasn't as bad as I was originally thinking. As a matter of fact, with a week of prep playing with the first team further into the season, along with what he seems to be able to correct fairly quick, Haskins could end up balling out. Of course I still think the play caller needs to be the ****ing coordinator. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/baldys-breakdowns/0ap3000001060833/Evaluating-QB-Dwayne-Haskins-debut-Baldy-s-Breakdowns 

Archived