Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

53 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

I dunno if thats how this works - good teams dont just piss away 1st rounders (or 2nd rounders depending on how you want to do the calculus)

Exactly. I can’t stand “I think of Terry as our first round pick” or “at least we got Sweat”

That’s losing team fan talk. Pissing away 2 2nds, who could’ve been our starting MIKE and  free safety, is unacceptable

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

That’s not a good look for Doug Williams. Quite frankly he may not be long for this organization.

Since Rivera has taken over he’s been reassigned from management/scouting duties and given a nice respectful title with little functional or organizational authority. His main responsibility appears to be as something of a counselor for players.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't wish him any ill will. I hope he has a great life. Cutting him doesn't put the playoff wind back in my sails, but it does make me amused again.

It's like going to the zoo super excited about how great it is, then you see how horribly abused the animals are and get sad, then the clowns come out and you get to eat all the sugar you want and it's just funny again.

Wait what? I’ve never seen clowns at the zoo and the food is meh

45 minutes ago, GreenFields said:

Well thats just dumb thinking there... Fields and Haskins are nothing alike.. Please actually watch college football before you speak among adults. We would be lucky to get fields. All this team needs is a game manager .. Alex had proven that. Go root for clemson and the nose tiger fan. 

Fields will be trash too. I don’t want any QB from that Ohio State system. They beat up on ****ty big 10 teams. Alex Smith is the most successful QB to come from the Urban influence. 

30 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I wonder if the final nail in Haskins' coffin was his play yesterday or that he left the stadium without consulting anyone, leaving the team hanging out to dry.

You definitely don't cut a guy with one game to guy simply for sucking. There was more to it for sure than just the game yesterday. Take every single one of his games and it's usually not enough to be cut one game before the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

That’s not a good look for Doug Williams. Quite frankly he may not be long for this organization.

Since Rivera has taken over he’s been reassigned from management/scouting duties and given a nice respectful title with little functional or organizational authority. His main responsibility appears to be as something of a counselor for players.

He’s 65, that’s pretty much retirement age.

It’s reasonable that his responsibilities are winding down.

3 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Doug was a definitely a Snyder/Allen move to shield themselves from the fans with former players. Doubt it had anything to do with his resume. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If this is somehow true, then we could have been spared the yesterday's performance if not for Doug Williams.  I know Williams coached a good bit at Grambling, but for him to tolerate what Trashkins did is just bad judge of character by him.

2 minutes ago, dyst said:

Doug was a definitely a Snyder/Allen move to shield themselves from the fans with former players. Doubt it had anything to do with his resume. 

Agree in a disingenuous organization this hire was one of the most disingenuous moves I've seen - and its played out about as well as to be expected

4 hours ago, profusion said:

As long as Heath Schuler and Ryan Leaf are out there, Haskins won't rank highest on the list of all-time QB busts. He's definitely up there, though. 

I hate to see anyone wash out and hope he can get his act together.

The NFL will always have QB busts. JaMarcus Russell, Todd Marinovich, Andre Ware, Rick Mirer, Akili Smith. The list goes on and on. The biggest thing I get from this is that we need to keep Snyder out of the draft room and let the football people run the draft. That's what you pay them for.

9 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I would be surprised if they keep him in the off-season 

"According to Schrager, it was Doug Williams (and others) who convinced Rivera not to cut Dwayne last week."

Ok, so that makes me feel better about Ron, originally the decision to let him practice and play was a head scratcher but this brings clarity.

I actually feel sorry for Haskins, despite how angry he made me with his lousy play during the past two years.  He was never put in a position to succeed in Washington.  There is no way that somebody with only 14 career college starts as QB should be considered a franchise savior and starting in his first NFL season.  I'm so sick of the idiot talking heads on TV who have never played QB who say "it's better to find out immediately if a rookie first round pick QB is going to make it in this league".  Bull****.  Some of the best QBs in the history of this league barely played their first 3 or 4 seasons, including Aaron Rogers.    

This was another one of Dan Snyder's major ****-ups.   I hope he will keep his fat stupid ass out of the draft day room from now on.  

Just now, JSSkinz said:

"According to Schrager, it was Doug Williams (and others) who convinced Rivera not to cut Dwayne last week."

Ok, so that makes me feel better about Ron, originally the decision to let him practice and play was a head scratcher but this brings clarity.

He should be fired too.

Just now, jnhutchi3 said:

I actually feel sorry for Haskins, despite how angry he made me with his lousy play during the past two years.  He was never put in a position to succeed in Washington.  There is no way that somebody with only 14 career college starts as QB should be considered a franchise savior and starting in his first NFL season.  I'm so sick of the idiot talking heads on TV who have never played QB who say "it's better to find out immediately if a rookie first round pick QB is going to make it in this league".  Bull****.  Some of the best QBs in the history of this league barely played their first 3 or 4 seasons, including Aaron Rogers.    

This was another one of Dan Snyder's major ****-ups.   I hope he will keep his fat stupid ass out of the draft day room from now on.  

That's fine if he actually took it as seriously as possible and worked as hard as he couldn't but by all reports he didn't.

59 minutes ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

McAfee just said that there was a big  Red flag when Dwayne was charging per head for his Draft party. No idea he did that maybe I missed it somehow. Imagine his release party will be somewhat discounted 🤷

People on this board were commending him for doing that.  Said it showed that he wouldn't tolerate people leaching off of him. And that it had nothing to do with money or prestige.  Then we heard the reports about laziness, immaturity, inability to read defenses, and trouble grasping the playbook, the selfie, the gloating after the Ravens game, etc. Defenders were quick to say he's just a kid, he's being treated unfairly, he's being stereotyped, two separate coaching staffs were trying to torpedo his career....

Bottom line is that it was all true, it was all fair, and it all spelled trouble.  This is simply a guy that did not have the makeup to be a successful NFL quarterback.  You have got to be the hardest working, the most restrained, and the most intelligent.  This is not Ken Stabler's NFL. It's not even Brett Favre's NFL.

22 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Based on?

Based on him actually starting to break franchise records with us.   No doubt if he was still here,  we would have already seen more franchise records broken.  I think Kirk is the guy that will do well if the entire team, including defense is playing at a high level.  

2 minutes ago, jnhutchi3 said:

I don’t think anyone expected him to be a franchise savior to be honest, people mostly just wanted him to develop with the rest of the team.

4 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

People on this board were commending him for doing that.  Said it showed that he wouldn't tolerate people leaching off of him. And that it had nothing to do with money or prestige.  Then we heard the reports about laziness, immaturity, inability to read defenses, and trouble grasping the playbook, the selfie, the gloating after the Ravens game, etc. Defenders were quick to say he's just a kid, he's being treated unfairly, he's being stereotyped, two separate coaching staffs were trying to torpedo his career....

I never understood this one. What reason would a coaching staff have to sabotage arguably their most important player?

4 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Based on him actually starting to break franchise records with us.   No doubt if he was still here,  we would have already seen more franchise records broken.  I think Kirk is the guy that will do well if the entire team, including defense is playing at a high level.  

We could have also not ruined RGIII as well lol

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That's fine if he actually took it as seriously as possible and worked as hard as he couldn't but by all reports he didn't.

Getting your ass kicked as a rookie QB on a ****ty team every week is not a way to instill confidence.  Why the **** was he even starting last year??

Haskins deserves a lot of blame for his poor work ethic, but there is plenty of blame to go around.  

MAQB: Why Washington Cut Dwayne Haskins Now and Why He Won't Be Claimed on Waivers

Why Washington kept Dwayne Haskins through last week, but wouldn't keep him through the end of the season. Plus, Doug Pederson talks job security, Trubisky plays better, so do Zeke and Rodgers, and the Bills go for the Patriots sweep.

ALBERT BREER
DEC 28, 2020

That begs a simple question: Why the urgency to whack Haskins now? Truth be told, Washington considered cutting Haskins last week, but didn’t because they felt that wouldn’t be fair to the rest of their players, who were in position to clinch the NFC East. Then, Haskins showed he wasn’t a better option than Taylor Heinicke, and his play didn’t reflect much change in his prep, and that was that.

Washington, at that point, had all the information it needed to move on from Haskins after the season. And given all the water under the bridge the last few weeks, it probably wasn’t going to be fair to the other quarterbacks, or the team, to have the Haskins storyline lingering as the players try to win the division and head to the playoffs. Which made it time to move on.

Adding context to the urgency to move on from Haskins here is Alex Smtih’s uncertain status for Sunday. He looked O.K. when the team tested him at practice Friday, then the calf got sore again on Saturday. So that situation remains uncertain going into the work week for the team.

• I’d be stunned if Haskins was claimed on waivers. He’s got $1.81 million fully guaranteed on his deal for 2021 and $2.46 million fully guaranteed for 2022, and a team picking him up off the wire would be responsible for that. To me, that pretty much ensures he’ll clear waivers on Tuesday, and from there I believe his only avenue back into the NFL will be the route that Josh Rosen has taken.

Upon being cut by the Dolphins, Rosen signed with the Buccaneers’ practice squad, which gave him the chance to learn from Bruce Arians, Tom Brady and Byron Leftwich, and that led to him being plucked by Niners coach Kyle Shanahan. Rosen, of course, is guaranteed nothing going forward, but he’s at least shown a willingness to take a longer path to playing than his initial one—which implicitly addresses concerns about his passion for football.

Likewise, widespread concerns about Haskins’s maturity, passion for football and professionalism could be addressed through his being open to climbing back up from the bottom. That wouldn’t be an easy road, of course. But if he wants back in, it’ll likely be what he has to do. I don’t think Haskins is a bad guy at all, so here’s hoping he listens to those telling him stuff he probably doesn’t want to hear.

Archived