Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

25 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Maybe I missed something back then.  I seem to remember the general consensus was that he was the team consensus pick (whom Dan loved) but most of us feared they would trade up in a reach to get him (which would have been a Clown Show move). When we were patient and he fell to us most around here were excited and relieved we didn't sell the farm to acquire him. I remember more folks were down on Jones and feared we would draft him. Many fans and experts alike called the Giants idiots at the time they picked Jones.  Regardless of all of this, I see what your saying and it's pretty hard to argue against Dan's track record which is a complete dumpster fire. My point is the only one who is resposible for Dwayne not reaching his potential was Dwayne himself and there was really no way to predict the future without a time machine. We all knew he would take development because of the small sample size but you just never know what is going on in a persons mind. That is the real crap shoot about the draft. No one would have predicted the dude would sabotage his own career but its easy to say so now.

They're a little more overt about it today but the beat writers were putting it out there that Dan wanted Haskins ahead of the draft.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Assuming everything else played out identically and we're the team we are today but without the dwayne haskins debacle or Alex smiths contract then you're right.

Unfortunately that's not how it would have played out, we could possibly still have gruden as head coach, unlikely we'd have chase young, etc, etc.

I have no idea if we'd be better off right now had we signed Cousins but I'd be willing to wager we'd be better off right now if he was on our roster.

Our quarterback situation is a mess to say the least.

So you are saying we would be better off if Cousins was playing Sunday against the birds than Smith?

I'd like to start off this post with promise, but make everyone realize it's not going to be so good.  In fact it's getting worse, and now I'm going to sit while some old timer posts something way better than this.

Alright I'm back, and MAN does this post suck.  It's the worst its gotten.  I'm on the brink of ending my post prematurely, so I'll throw back some drinks with the quality of these next words determining the fate of the post.

Herbily derbily dee doo da.

Thanks for the opportunity, I'll become a better person now.

Combining Finlay and Keim's narratives, even the new improved Haskins wasn't putting in the time they wanted.  Keim said he's improved to putting in 70% of the time/effort they wanted.  Finlay was recounting how QBs come in during the off day to put in extra time but not so much Dwayne -- Dwayne would say that people should tell him that as to coming in, etc, Finlay's point is people shouldn't need to be on his back to put in time and at some point he should know.

I recall reading that both coaching staffs (last year and this one) explained to him in detail what work and preperation they wanted from him but whatever they asked for -- he didn't do it or at least not consistently.

If I had to guess, he only lasted this long to placate Dan.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dwayne-haskins-days-in-washington-are-numbered-as-team-is-likely-to-move-on-from-2019-first-round-pick/

His initial impressions with Ron Rivera and this coaching staff were shaky at best, he did not inspire much optimism in the summer and he was put on notice of a possible benching just a few games into the season. The team's unexpected playoff surge began when Smith was deemed healthy enough to take over, and Haskins has few true advocates in football operations, sources said, besides former Washington QB Doug Williams, who serves as the team's senior vice president of player development. 

43 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It really amazes me the amount of hate Kirk gets here and on other boards when compared to Griffin who was much more expensive and like DH a lot of his demise was of his own making. But nobody talks about him, just Kirk. In 5 years I'll expect more hate for Kirk than for Dwayne will exist despite Dwayne being the worst Redskins QB of my lifetime and acting like a complete ass.  

I don't hate Cousins. He played the market and by the time he is done he will have made 200mil. out of what, a 5th round draft choice. He worked hard behind RG3 and learned his trade and when the time came he moved. The Skins screwed the deal up when they had the chance to sign him cheap and they didn't so his price went up the more he played and by then it was too late. I just lost respect when he threw that int against the Giants costing us the playoffs and had the balls to ask for 20mil plus a year and a long term deal. Hate, no.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Combining Finlay and Keim's narratives, even the new improved Haskins wasn't putting in the time they wanted.  Keim said he's improved to putting in 70% of the time/effort they wanted.  Finlay was recounting how QBs come in during the off day to put in extra time but not so much Dwayne -- Dwayne would say that people should tell him that as to coming in, etc, Finlay's point is people shouldn't need to be on his back to put in time and at some point he should know.

I recall reading that both coaching staffs (last year and this one) explained to him in detail what work and preperation they wanted from him but whatever they asked for -- he didn't do it or at least not consistently.

If I had to guess, he only lasted this long to placate Dan.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dwayne-haskins-days-in-washington-are-numbered-as-team-is-likely-to-move-on-from-2019-first-round-pick/

His initial impressions with Ron Rivera and this coaching staff were shaky at best, he did not inspire much optimism in the summer and he was put on notice of a possible benching just a few games into the season. The team's unexpected playoff surge began when Smith was deemed healthy enough to take over, and Haskins has few true advocates in football operations, sources said, besides former Washington QB Doug Williams, who serves as the team's senior vice president of player development. 

I always always got the impression, and have posted this before, that he seemed to feel like he could simply live off of his "natural" talent, and not have to work certain areas.

That worked at OSU...but the NFL

22 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

So you are saying we would be better off if Cousins was playing Sunday against the birds than Smith?

Not necessarily but maybe.

Either way I think we'd be better off because this game wouldn't be win or go home, we'd be resting starters for the playoffs already. 

I'd love to know more about the Shawn Springs-Haskins relationship.  When he was coming in there was all this talk of Shawn being an active mentor for Dwayne, which I thought sounded great.  I recall Shawn talking about it on the radio during his first training camp, and he cautioned against starting Haskins, citing the fact the he was both raw and the talent on the team was lacking.  Since that time I've only heard one soundbite from him and it was that Dwayne needed to get in the playbook before he loses his shot, back before he got benched the first time.  I can't imagine that if Shawn was actually an active mentor to Dwayne, that he wouldn't have covered the 'The QB lives at the faciility' chapter in how to be a pro.

Then again, after reading that interview with Dwayne's dad prior to the draft - it's possible they could have shielded him from everyone that could possibly help him.  Who knows.

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I always always got the impression, and have posted this before, that he seemed to feel like he could simply live off of his "natural" talent, and not have to work certain areas.

I bet this was the first time where he couldn't get by on his natural talent.  

Mike Tyson has a great quote, it's along the lines of...everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the face.  Haskins got punched in the face and he didn't know what to do.  

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yeah part of the reason why I'd bet against him is there has been this constant theme with him about not putting in the time.  In all of my years following the NFL, I don't recall any player challenged so much on this front.  According to beat guys, he's had this explained to him multiple times yet he never really got it going.  Keim saying even the new improved Haskins wasn't putting in enough time was the kicker for me.  Also, Phillips said in a podcast I heard a few days ago that there were more incidents that showed Haskins immaturity that hasn't gone public.

I think he's likely a nice kid but I don't think he has the makeup to be an successful NFL Qb.  I had doubts about his talent but his makeup to me is the bigger deal.  I'd bet against him finding success elsewhere.  I recently compared him to Campbell/Ramsey.  I'll recant that.  Campbell in particular from what I recall had the right makeup and worked hard.  

2 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Stats dont win playoff games.  Throwing TDs in OT does.  LOL

Ryan Gruden fell down on the play.  Did you even watch your own gif?

I surely hope Heineken is the guy.  Otherwise we will still be debating Kirk 10 years from now.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Damn.  Kid is having a rough day.  He's saying all the right things but I dunno, I'm just not buying it.  He seems like he's just good at speaking from the script.

Whats telling to me is when they asked what he's learned and his answer was being accountable for your decisions.  No dude, thats not it.  Its nice to own your ****ups but more importantly, you need to stop ****ing up in the first place.

Hes a good kid but an awful quarterback AND he's got all these other issues too.  Even if he stops sabotaging himself and were to completely dedicate himself to football (which won't happen because he'd have to invent a completely new version of himself), he's still got a zillion football challenges to overcome.

He's just not good enough to start and doesn't work hard enough to carve out a backup role.  His career will end as soon as a team no longer believes he has "long term starter" potential....which I'd bet is right about now.  Maybe, *maaaaybe*, he gets to attend a training camp next year.  It sounds like its a nobrainer that he'll get another shot but then I actually try to picture a team giving it to him and it seems impossible. 

Purely from the "what he needs" perspective...Mike Tomlin.  If he's ever going to have a chance, he needs to be coached by Mike Tomlin.  He's the only coach I can think of that could get through to him, but I doubt Pittsburgh would be interested.

2 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

You seem to be one of those anti-Snyder people who think that he can't do anything right unless he sells the team

Nope. But I don’t blame you for trying that, it usually works. 

ive gone to bat for snyder when I thought he was being incorrectly blamed for something. 

mainly because there’s so many correct things to cite there’s no need to pile on. 

the recurring theme of us having great draft people except when it’s the most important selection snyder jumped in and ruined it all is a tiring and old narrative going back at least 3 coaching administrations plus vinny’s entire tenure. 

this idea that it’s magically stopping this time is hilarious  

I’ll believe it when I see a track record of it actually stopping. 

1 minute ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

McAfee just said that there was a big  Red flag when Dwayne was charging per head for his Draft party. No idea he did that maybe I missed it somehow. Imagine his release party will be somewhat discounted 🤷

Sorry Mom. You don't pay the cover charge you don't get to witness the Great Simba being drafted. LOL

Thank God.  My biggest fear was they were going to keep him around for the duration of his rookie contract "just to see".  This should have happened last week.  

It should also make every fan question how much glowing praise he got pre-draft about how "coachable" he was, and how great of a leader he was.  They did the same thing with Guice.  The next time you see smoke about a player pre-draft (Guice lied about being asked about his sexual orientation during his pre-draft interviews but people overlooked that because he liked lolipops or something) maybe we can all presume that there was fire?  His father's bizarre reaction to a local reporter simply trying to report on him was a red flag, his pre-draft party was a massive red flag, the "league done messed up" was a red flag, the reaction to Daniel Jones being drafted before him was a red flag, him skipping out on a pre-draft dinner/meeting with Michael Lombardi was a massive red flag.  This guy had bust written all over him when Louis Riddick (and many others) tried to act like Jay Gruden committed an attempted murder for simply having Haskins as the #2 and having to play him when Keenum got hurt last year.  Good riddance.  

Archived