Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Eh.

I'm not sold on him.

If it wasn't for Lafleur, McVay and Shanahan (who wasn't going to stick around after the whole fiasco with his Dad and the FO) would we be latching onto O'Connell as hard? I think a lot of the desire to keep him stems from a fear that we could be losing out on the next talented young head coach. But I think it's an irrational fear. 

Even though I am a fan of Haskins as of late, I stick to my earlier points. This team needs a new GM/HC combo. I don't care if the HC is the one in charge or the GM is. They need to be on the same page. That's the important part. And they need to pick their own groceries. If they are genuinely fine with Dwayne Haskins at quarterback, great. If they are forced to keep him there is no change in this team's MO. 

O'Connell falls in the same batch as the rest of the Redskins FO and coaching staff. If they fit with the new GM/HC's vision - fine. If not, good luck and I hope you find success.

I agree.  It's also impossible to tell how much of the offense is what KO would do, how much he has inherited from Gruden and it's just too late to change in-season, and how much is Callahan influenced.  

The play calling also regressed back to the "run on every first down for no yards" on Sunday after a brief hiatus.  Liked they tried it against the Eagles, had success, and then decided it was better to go back to what wasn't working.  It was sheer madness.  

And for those who say that I'm the only one beating this drum, and I should stop, fine.  But at this point just about every single person covering the team or having opinions of the team, as well as all of the analytic guys are "on my side."  And it's brought up in just about every discussion of offensive production on every platform.  

It's a bad plan.  It was a bad plan under Jay for 5 years, now it's a bad plan under Callahan/KO for the last 10 games. 

And this from a guy who grew up with "run the ball/stop the run, win suprbowls" as my primary football education and philosiphy.  Which I still believe.  The top 5 rushing teams in the league are all going to the playoffs.  if you can't stop the run, then you can't win.  BUT.  Just be freaking a little unpredictable, please?  I beg you.  I plead with you.  PLEASE.  

With regards to O'Connell, I will say this: 

Keenum, in relief, looked better than he has all year except for maybe the first week against the Eagles.  The offense didn't miss a beat when Haskins was ruled out for the game, and I think a lot of that has to do with the game O'Connell called.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It's a bad plan.  It was a bad plan under Jay for 5 years, now it's a bad plan under Callahan/KO for the last 10 games. 

And this from a guy who grew up with "run the ball/stop the run, win suprbowls" as my primary football education and philosiphy.  Which I still believe.  The top 5 rushing teams in the league are all going to the playoffs.  if you can't stop the run, then you can't win.  BUT.  Just be freaking a little unpredictable, please?  I beg you.  I plead with you.  PLEASE.  

No way to know but listening to people like Hoffman the impression I get is the run the ball on early downs drill is a Callahan thing not an O'Connell drill.  Hoffman pretty much alluded to O'Connell not really liking Callahan much so I am not so sure there is a symbiosis there where they are on the same page about everything.   Maybe he's wrong.  But at the very least, I have a layer of doubt that the run first down thing is an O'Connell habit.  

This is going to be a serious blow to Gruden for anyone looking to hire him to work with their QB. Wasn't he under fire a bit in Cinci for how he handled Dalton?

It seems apparent now that instead of trying to get dude ready, put everything he had into getting him going so he could take off Wk 1, he just pouted from the moment we drafted him.

Play the hand your dealt, and play it well. That's how you survive as a Head coach in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

I believe Haskins is younger than Joe Burrows.

Crazy.

Really like his future -- assuming we don't find a way to screw it all up, which we always do.

That is correct.  Burrows is 5 months older than Haskins.   That said Burrows was a year ahead in school so when Haskins arrived at Ohio St., Burrows had already been there for a year.  They reversed the situation in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No way to know but listening to people like Hoffman the impression I get is the run the ball on early downs drill is a Callahan thing not an O'Connell drill.  Hoffman pretty much alluded to O'Connell not really liking Callahan much so I am not so sure there is a symbiosis there where they are on the same page about everything.   Maybe he's wrong.  But at the very least, I have a layer of doubt that the run first down thing is an O'Connell habit.  

But how can you not like Grandpa Callahan.  Sure I don’t think he’s a head coach.  But I don’t dislike him.

Anyway, we need a great defensive minded head coach.

2 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

But how can you not like Grandpa Callahan.  Sure I don’t think he’s a head coach.  But I don’t dislike him.

Anyway, we need a great defensive minded head coach.

Apparently according to some who cover the team, Grandpa Callahan isn't always that warm and fuzzy and on the same page with some of the coaches and players there when the doors are closed.  He had a little rep on that front before he got here, too.  But yeah as a public figure he comes off like his reputation for being this Yoga dude, calm and serene.  But apparently behind the scenes its not everyone holding hands.  I got no problem with that personally, I am just saying I am not assuming O'Connell and Callahan are two peas in a pod when it comes to play calling. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Apparently according to some who cover the team, Grandpa Callahan isn't always that warm and fuzzy and on the same page with some of the coaches and players there when the doors are closed.  He had a little rep on that front before he got here, too.  But yeah as a public figure he comes off like his reputation for being this Yoga dude, calm and serene.  But apparently behind the scenes its not everyone holding hands.  I got no problem with that personally, I am just saying I am not assuming O'Connell and Callahan are two peas in a pod when it comes to play calling. 

Very interesting.........

Haskins beat out Burrow despite Burrow having the one trait that Meyer cherishes the most, more than anything else: maniacal competitiveness and toughness.

that should be an indicator of what they thought of Haskins’s ability.

TBD if Burrow is just mental toughness mixed in with Joe Brady’s system. He’s definitely not an elite physical prospect. Pretty pedestrian numbers in his first year at LSU, when Brady wasn’t there

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah, Dallas wasn't all that borken up to lose him, it didn't seem like.  

And I think Callahan has a lot of say in play calling, however to what extent, we don't know, so it's really hard to judge KO either good or bad, because of the unknown.

As I've said before, in an ideal world Haskins doesn't have to learn an entirely new set of terminology between years 1 and 2, just when he seems to be getting the terminology down.  Not that it's the worst thing in the world, but it's just an extra thing to have to learn.  And if Haskins is comfortable with KOC, then keeping him around is ok.  

However, if the new HC wants a complete change, then, shrug, that's what you've got to do.  And the players have to adapt.  One would hope that the new offense brought in would be tailored to Haskins, and that would make learning it easier rather than harder.  At least, that would be the hope.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

This is going to be a serious blow to Gruden for anyone looking to hire him to work with their QB. Wasn't he under fire a bit in Cinci for how he handled Dalton?

It seems apparent now that instead of trying to get dude ready, put everything he had into getting him going so he could take off Wk 1, he just pouted from the moment we drafted him.

Play the hand your dealt, and play it well. That's how you survive as a Head coach in the NFL.

The team has played harder, been more competitive and disciplined, and they have not had the complete give-up type games they had under Gruden, with the exception of the Jets game.  

Also, Callahan put a plan to develop Haskins in place, where the previous plan was basically for Haskins to be 3rd string the entire year and run the scout team.  That plan was turned upside down when Colt turned out to be injurred, and they actually needed Haskins to be available.  

Gruden wasn't a good coach.  And I think the folks evaluating him for future jobs are going to look more closely now about how he handled adversity.

I don't know if he gets another HC job in the NFL.  I'm sure somebody is going to pick him up as an OC.  We'll see how that goes. I'd love for Dallas or the Giants to hire him as OC. :) 

53 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't know if he gets another HC job in the NFL.  I'm sure somebody is going to pick him up as an OC.  We'll see how that goes. I'd love for Dallas or the Giants to hire him as OC. :) 

I think Jay is a good OC. Certainly in respect of the passing game at least (he failed to marry his running game and play action off that too often). But not a good HC. 

He might get another shot at HC though as he may be given a pass because if the dysfunction of the Redskins organization.

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think Jay is a good OC. Certainly in respect of the passing game at least (he failed to marry his running game and play action off that too often). But not a good HC. 

He might get another shot at HC though as he may be given a pass because if the dysfunction of the Redskins organization.

He might be a good OC.  He might not be. We will see. He was pretty good in Cincy as an OC, but never ran the ball well.   

He is NOT Norv, though, who is somewhat of a once-in-a-generation offensive mind, but a really bad HC.  Jay might be a passable OC.  But he's not an offensive genius. 

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He might be a good OC.  He might not be. We will see. He was pretty good in Cincy as an OC, but never ran the ball well.   

He is NOT Norv, though, who is somewhat of a once-in-a-generation offensive mind, but a really bad HC.  Jay might be a passable OC.  But he's not an offensive genius. 

Yeah no argument there.

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Meh.  I'll always see Norv as underrated.  If he didn't have his manhood cut off the second Snyder got here, I think that what we were building in 1999 was really the start of something great.  We got to suffer through the ramp up and then right before the green light, Snyder decides the starting QB.

I'll always "what if" that.

Regarding Haskins, I'm glad he's ruled out.  No reason to get the guy hurt and Dallas will be playing hard.

32 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Meh.  I'll always see Norv as underrated.  If he didn't have his manhood cut off the second Snyder got here, I think that what we were building in 1999 was really the start of something great.  We got to suffer through the ramp up and then right before the green light, Snyder decides the starting QB.

I'll always "what if" that.

Regarding Haskins, I'm glad he's ruled out.  No reason to get the guy hurt and Dallas will be playing hard.

He took Marty's 14-2 Chargers team and made it a 10-6 team in 1 year.  And then they perennially under-performed from there.  

I will say this: he was a better playoff coach than a regular season coach.  Once he got the Chargers into the playoffs, they won a game or two.  

He failed in 3 spots: DC, San Diego and Oakland.  I thin that's enough of a sample size to say he was a bad HC.  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He took Marty's 14-2 Chargers team and made it a 10-6 team in 1 year.  And then they perennially under-performed from there.  

I will say this: he was a better playoff coach than a regular season coach.  Once he got the Chargers into the playoffs, they won a game or two.  

He failed in 3 spots: DC, San Diego and Oakland.  I thin that's enough of a sample size to say he was a bad HC.  

Your argument is well-backed, I just meant for us specifically.  Shanahan was a bad HC outside of Elways years (I'm not rehashing that, just looking at records), but I still wonder "what if" when it comes to pulling Griffin in that playoff game after the second touchdown.

To me, I don't care if they're a good HC overall, they just need to be good for one year.  Those 1999 and 2012 teams will always have me thinking.

Shutting Haskins down is great idea. 

Hear me out. This guy ended hot. Last six quarters his stats are amazing. If you want to sell a HC on the dude this is it. You go with momentum into the off-season. If he plays in Dallas and plays average or bad it will bring out the doubters again. 

This way we also probally shut down the draft a QB crew, because they can't say he finished bad. 

Sure Dallas game would be great for his personal development..but I kinda like ending on this hot streak and start the off-season with positive momentum. 

Archived